Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mbao Is Not A JUCO...  (Read 19551 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Mbao Is Not A JUCO...
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 02:20:25 PM »
Ok PRN, I'll bite- HOW OH HOW HAS IT BEEN ACCOMPLISHED?

I can't wait to see this vague answer, insinuating some sort of Creanian conspiracy theory.

I'm more interested in hearing your theory as to how it's being accomplished. Do me a favor...type out what you think the answer is, read it back to yourself and then enjoy a good long laugh.

Chicos is right. Our recruiting may have moved into a different neighborhood. Unfortunately, the only house available on the block is made of glass. You might enjoy the view, but don't forget our neighbors can see right inside.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »
Don't think anyone here called the kid dumb or incapable of handling a curriculum at Marquette.  But yes, Stoneridge has been in the spotlight as have other schools.  Fairly or unfairly, they've been in the spotlight on HBO, the Washington Post, ESPN as well as locally here in So. Cal.

I think we all need to be honest here.  I remember not to far in the distant past when Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis were taking kids from these types of programs, it didn't sit well with many people here. 

The kids get caught up in this stuff unfairly which is the unfortunate part.  They may be more than capable academically but for whatever reason decided to attend one of these schools.  Then when folks get under the hood and look at these schools, more than a few curious alarm bells start going off.  35 kids in the entire school, all of them in the basketball program as an example (I'm using this as an illustration only).  Those types of things raise people's eyebrows and end up on HBO as a result.  Fairly or unfairly.

Seems like you are more concerned with people's percections than with reality. If this 19 year old young man can speak 4 languages fluently I'm not too concerned with his ability in the classroom. If I ever was critical of any Memphis, Louisville or Cincinnati player with these kind of credentials (which I sincerely doubt), I hereby publicly apologize. If people want to "raise their eyebrows" without learning the facts I couldn't care less.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
I'm more interested in hearing your theory as to how it's being accomplished. Do me a favor...type out what you think the answer is, read it back to yourself and then enjoy a good long laugh.

Nice dodge.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 02:36:57 PM »

Chicos is right. Our recruiting may have moved into a different neighborhood. Unfortunately, the only house available on the block is made of glass. You might enjoy the view, but don't forget our neighbors can see right inside.

You are a joke

GregShimonFor2

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »
The academic support for the basketball players at Marquette is outstanding, thanks in large part to Adrienne Trice and her staff.

The kids spend more hours on a daily basis in study hall/tutoring sessions than many of the non-student athletes on campus. If they fail to hand in a paper on time of if they fail to attend a class, the MU coaching staff knows about it and addresses it.

PRN and Chicos can do all the spinning they want to paint a bleak picture, but at the end of the day that's all it is ... spin.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »

We asked YOU for the answer.  So why don't you stop dodging and answer the damn question.  

If there's anyone that should be laughing right now, it should be us at your poor pathetic soul.
The General has taken on a new command.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »
In the grand scheme of things does anyone really care about graduation rates? I don't mean to be too cynical but there are plenty of D1 programs that hardly graduate anyone and no one makes a big deal about it. UConn graduates about 33% of its guys, Louisville just 42% and there are some extreme cases like Maryland with just 10% and Arizona with 20%.

Last year we were one of only 7 teams in the tourney with a 100% rate. I think Buzz has some room to take a few "chances".

Yes, many people care in the grand scheme of things.  It reflects on the university greatly.  There is a reason why Duke graduates most of its players....because the university demands it as do the alums, etc.  As they should.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2009, 03:15:57 PM »

I think if UC and Memphis were graduating their players, we wouldn't care.  Same here.

Which begs the question which came first...the chicken or the egg.  In other words, has MU been graduating players at a high level because they haven't gone down this path?  Has Memphis, UC, Louisville not graduated players because they have?

I don't know, I'm just asking.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2009, 03:17:56 PM »
+1

Additionally, I can tell you that it definitely helps to be a private school.

It helps even more to be a public school with Phys Ed classes, majors in remedial studies, CPR, etc.   MU has  a very limited number of sluff courses and majors compared to a large public school that can hide kids forever in classes anyone could pass.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »
The academic support for the basketball players at Marquette is outstanding, thanks in large part to Adrienne Trice and her staff.

The kids spend more hours on a daily basis in study hall/tutoring sessions than many of the non-student athletes on campus. If they fail to hand in a paper on time of if they fail to attend a class, the MU coaching staff knows about it and addresses it.

PRN and Chicos can do all the spinning they want to paint a bleak picture, but at the end of the day that's all it is ... spin.

Sigh....please show me where I said this kid couldn't cut it, isn't smart, etc.  Please, I'd like to know where.  I was talking about Stoneridge, not the kid.  I'll await your answer where I said the kid couldn't cut it or somehow didn't belong at MU.  Look long and hard because it isn't there.   >:(

I happen to be an incredible advocate of what MU has done to help student athletes achieve their academic goals, whether that's basketball players or golfers.  Tom Ford's crew did an outstanding job when I was there.  It appears the same continues to this day.  The help is there, it's mandatory, and the student athletes take advantage of that assistance.  A great program that should be applauded.

All I said, please RE-READ, is that I wish the kid didn't come from Stoneridge.  That doesn't mean the kid can't make it, doesn't mean the kid isn't intelligent, doesn't mean the kid is dirty.  Nor did anyone say or imply that.  The results will be the results in the next few years, nothing is going to change that.  I just wish the kid wasn't coming from there because (as I also said) it unfairly puts a stigma on them, fairly or unfairly....it does because of the spotlight that has been on Stoneridge. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »

Nice non-answer. An honest assessment would be this. Athletes are given every opportunity- first priority in scheduling, academic advising, their own tutors and support staff. Combine this with majors that for the most part are not as rigorous, as well as the "History of Jazz" classes that are known to be less difficult. They are forced to go to class and attend study hall, and a coach checks in on them every day.

Look, every program does this. And personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. Why do you think so many Duke players take sociology as a major? MU's version of that is comm studies.

If you're trying to imply some sort of cheating, or other fishy business please elaborate. Or don't, and continue to look like an ass. It's fine with me either way.

GregShimonFor2

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »
Whatever Chicos. I'm done dealing with your stupid negativity and "I know all" mentality. Drop some names on some other people from now on.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 03:51:33 PM »
Nice non-answer. An honest assessment would be this. Athletes are given every opportunity- first priority in scheduling, academic advising, their own tutors and support staff. Combine this with majors that for the most part are not as rigorous, as well as the "History of Jazz" classes that are known to be less difficult. They are forced to go to class and attend study hall, and a coach checks in on them every day.

Look, every program does this. And personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. Why do you think so many Duke players take sociology as a major? MU's version of that is comm studies.

If you're trying to imply some sort of cheating, or other fishy business please elaborate. Or don't, and continue to look like an ass. It's fine with me either way.

+1

Also, not every single MU player is a CMST major.  Dom majors in PR.  Wes is an Advertising major.  Lazar majors in Social Welfare and Justice in the College of Arts & Sciences, same as Barro did. 

Yes, it is true that a lot of the players are funneled into some less rigorous classes like the History of Jazz.  But guess what?  98% of the students taking that class aren't basketball players either. They just need a fine arts credit or another 3 credits on their transcript so they can graduate.

And guess what, some of them like to be challenged in the classroom.  Chris Grimm was an education major.  Steve Novak, while a comm studies major, took classes like Business Ethics (which is NOT an easy subject) with me.

PRN, you may want to look at what Marquette requires now in terms of the Core of Common Studies and what classes the CMST majors actually take.    They're 're not being given a degree. 

But like MUFan12, I'm not expecting you to go out of your way either to be honest. 

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 04:30:17 PM »
In the grand scheme of things does anyone really care about graduation rates? I don't mean to be too cynical but there are plenty of D1 programs that hardly graduate anyone and no one makes a big deal about it. UConn graduates about 33% of its guys, Louisville just 42% and there are some extreme cases like Maryland with just 10% and Arizona with 20%.

Last year we were one of only 7 teams in the tourney with a 100% rate. I think Buzz has some room to take a few "chances".

I sure as heck do.  I may be in the minority here, but the integrity of the University matters to me as much, if not more, than the won loss record.  I think the success we have had on the court the last 6 years, married with the success off the court, makes us look good and me feel proud of MU.

There will be some that will want to poke holes in this, that is fine.  But you can win and do things correctly and that is what I expect out of Marquette.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 04:33:09 PM »

Grow a set PRN.  These vague accusations are just drivel.  Specifics or shut your piehole.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »
Whatever Chicos. I'm done dealing with your stupid negativity and "I know all" mentality. Drop some names on some other people from now on.

So you come on and accuse someone of saying something they didn't.  Then when asked to present the evidence to backup your accusation, you say "whatever"?   

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »
Don't think anyone here called the kid dumb or incapable of handling a curriculum at Marquette.  But yes, Stoneridge has been in the spotlight as have other schools.  Fairly or unfairly, they've been in the spotlight on HBO, the Washington Post, ESPN as well as locally here in So. Cal.

I think we all need to be honest here.  I remember not to far in the distant past when Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis were taking kids from these types of programs, it didn't sit well with many people here. 

The kids get caught up in this stuff unfairly which is the unfortunate part.  They may be more than capable academically but for whatever reason decided to attend one of these schools.  Then when folks get under the hood and look at these schools, more than a few curious alarm bells start going off.  35 kids in the entire school, all of them in the basketball program as an example (I'm using this as an illustration only).  Those types of things raise people's eyebrows and end up on HBO as a result.  Fairly or unfairly.

Many of these foreign players are brought over to play basketball. Places like Stoneridge facilitates that goal as quickly as possible. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 04:47:33 PM »
Seems like you are more concerned with people's percections than with reality. If this 19 year old young man can speak 4 languages fluently I'm not too concerned with his ability in the classroom. If I ever was critical of any Memphis, Louisville or Cincinnati player with these kind of credentials (which I sincerely doubt), I hereby publicly apologize. If people want to "raise their eyebrows" without learning the facts I couldn't care less.

What is the reality?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
Grow a set PRN.  These vague accusations are just drivel.  Specifics or shut your piehole.

"Grow a set?" Those are mighty grown up words!

I'd suggest to you that pointing out an out-of-left field coaching hire, followed by an influx of junior college transfers, on top of a listed 100 percent graduation rate are not "accusations" as much as they are observations. Some of us are concerned about the basketball program above and beyond wins and losses.

Incidentally, your avatar is taken from a photo of a pennant that hangs in my home so a little respect, please.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 04:48:52 PM »
I sure as heck do.  I may be in the minority here, but the integrity of the University matters to me as much, if not more, than the won loss record.  I think the success we have had on the court the last 6 years, married with the success off the court, makes us look good and me feel proud of MU.

There will be some that will want to poke holes in this, that is fine.  But you can win and do things correctly and that is what I expect out of Marquette.

+1

I'd like to win, not be slapped by the NCAA and have kids graduate.  We've been doing that and hope it continues.  Buzz seems genuinely interested in kids getting their degrees. As long as that continues and the rates are high, I'll be a happy camper.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 04:52:40 PM »

I know a 6 year old that speaks 3 different languages. Being multi lingual in some countries and cultures is the norm. It is important that Mboe speaks and understands English ( not always one in the same ). Being multi lingual does not by itself indicate a preparedness for college.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 04:59:51 PM »
"Grow a set?" Those are mighty grown up words!

I'd suggest to you that pointing out an out-of-left field coaching hire, followed by an influx of junior college transfers, on top of a listed 100 percent graduation rate are not "accusations" as much as they are observations. Some of us are concerned about the basketball program above and beyond wins and losses.

Incidentally, your avatar is taken from a photo of a pennant that hangs in my home so a little respect, please.

You've had no problem on this board floating accusations about various items, such as the nickname situation and how Buzz was hired.  But questioning how MU is achieving a 100% graduation rate is just an "observation" by you?

::)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
everyone piling on PRN... no surprises there... I believe what he was getting at was don't assume that we are as perfect as we seem to be... and I think it is a legitimate concern.

TCTB, I applaud your grandstanding (as well as everyone else's here) in your assumption that MU player athletes take hard classes, and public schooled kids take all easy classes like "PE".  Additionally, I applaud you for believing your own BS.  I have personally had 'student' athletes in a few of my classes (Merrit and ODB in one of my freshman requirement classes; Wade in my freshman english class; Merrit, ODB, and Ron Howard in my "Acting for Non-Majors" blow off class).

I can tell you that with the exception of Wade in English, the rest of them (and I had the opportunity to read the 'work' they did... I was going to include examples, but realized that I probably shouldn't) and it was not what I would consider 'college level' work.

Given that, and the fact that we are a private university and can get away with more academically since we don't have the full disclosure that public universities have... I think there is a chance that some things are kept hidden from everyone.

or maybe I'm just a douche.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »
You've had no problem on this board floating accusations about various items, such as the nickname situation and how Buzz was hired.  But questioning how MU is achieving a 100% graduation rate is just an "observation" by you?

::)

I don't "float accusations." I express my opinion.

What were my "accusations" about the nickname and the Buzz hiring? That "Gold" was Crean's idea? It was. That Buzz was hired only after being interviewed by Dick Strong? He was.

Now I'm wondering aloud what our players are doing to achieve this graduation rate of 100 percent. Anybody with any ounce of sense would realize that number is a little bit too good to be true.

Some of you guys just don't want to hear this stuff.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2009, 10:02:22 AM »
Some of you guys just don't want to hear this stuff.

For the first time ever, I agree with you 100%.

feedback