[June 06, 2024, 09:01:17 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by Its DJOver
[June 06, 2024, 08:28:03 PM]

Incoming freshmen by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 06, 2024, 07:38:04 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by willie warrior
[June 06, 2024, 04:19:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2010 - Moses Morgan - Crean vs. MU vs. Michigan  (Read 9076 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
2010 - Moses Morgan - Crean vs. MU vs. Michigan
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:59:44 AM »
From Mike Pegram, Peegs.com & Inside Indiana Staff Writer

At 6-foot-5 and 208-pounds, Moses Morgan is not much different size wise than his father Winston when he suited up for Indiana in the mid 80's. Dad has therefore been a pretty good teacher for all things basketball.

"He played for Bobby Knight he has always taught me to just go out and play hard," said Morgan. "We do a lot of shooting, ball handling and just basic stuff."

That work has led Moses to the #68 ranking in the Rivals150 for the Class of 2010 and a great junior season at Palo Verde High in Las Vegas.

"We had a record of 21-4 and went to the state championship where we lost by one point," said Morgan. "I averaged 18 points and seven rebounds."

Big schools are now calling on Morgan on a pretty regular basis, including his father's former college team.

"Right now Indiana is on top but I like Michigan, Marquette, Utah, UNLV, Arizona State and Oklahoma," said Morgan. "Michigan, Indiana and Marquette have offered.  Utah and UNLV offered me too."

He added that the Hoosier offer came just last week and that the high position that Indiana holds in his recruitment is not legacy related.

"Before they started recruiting me I was not real high on Indiana but since Coach (Tom) Crean came in, I just really love the coaching and have been building the interest in them," said Morgan.

Morgan is playing this spring with the I-Can All-Stars out of Los Angeles. He has played with them recently in Denver and the Easter Classic in Las Vegas. College coaches haven't seen those tournaments but many including Indiana have made the trip to Vegas to watch the versatile prospect.

"(College) coaches have been telling me that I am a three-two," said Morgan. "I am a shooter so if they want me coming off screens I can do that. I can also handle the ball, penetrate and kick."

Winston Morgan played his high school ball at Anderson Madison Heights before matriculating to Indiana for the 1981-82 school year. He stayed five years in the program, his year in 1985-86 was the year featured in the best selling book A Season on the Brink. The elder Morgan started 21 of 29 games that year, scoring 6.6 points per game and led the Hoosiers in assists (4.6/gm).

"He says it is a great academic school and how everybody loves basketball there," says the younger Morgan. "He said you will always be known if you go there and that it was a great school overall."

An up close look may come pretty soon.

"We are going to take an unofficial in June," said Morgan.

That would allow him to build the IU relationship beyond the two staff members he knows well already.

"I have been talking to Coach (Bennie) Seltzer and also talking a lot to Coach Crean," said Morgan. "I like the way Coach Crean coaches. He gets the best out of all of his players."

Besides Indiana, a pair of other schools have stood out early to Morgan.

"Michigan and Marquette," he said. "I took an unofficial to Michigan three months ago. It was my first unofficial and it was a great time. We are planning on visiting Marquette soon too."

When it comes to choosing a school, he says he plans to listen again to what his father has to say.

"He has told me to keep all my doors open and take my time with this decision," said Morgan.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: 2010 - Moses Morgan - Crean vs. MU vs. Michigan
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:11:27 AM »
Another example where Wes Matthews should be turned loose on the kid.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:20:10 AM »
Another example where Wes Matthews should be turned loose on the kid.

And then IU would just turn Novak, Wade and Diener loose on the kid. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:31:09 AM »

How about Nick Williams? 

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »

Are you saying Novak, Wade and Diener are Indiana fans?  I don't think they would necessarily help  Tan Crean in recruiting for another school.  Also, have Novak, Wade or Diener ever been coached by Buzz?  Wes has had a chance to experience both coaches and could provide valuable insights in comparing and contrasting coaching styles.  

I think NavinJohnson's comment is based on Wes's public comments he made this year that he felt Buzz's offense allowed him the freedom that he lacked under the previous coach.  I think he used the term, "having a towel removed from his head" or something like that.  Wes could perhaps be persuasive in convincing him that he has more upside under Buzz's system than Crean's.

Your comment is strange to say the least.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »

Fine by me...Morgan is described as a versatile, 6-5 SG/SF (Sounds familiar). Crean is welcome to turn loose 6-10 jump shooting PF Novak, 6-0 PG Diener, and mega-star Wade. With which of those 4 goes would you think Morgan will find most in common? Which of those guys saw the greatest transformation in their game after they were separated from Crean?

BTW, they all went to MU.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »
Are you saying Novak, Wade and Diener are Indiana fans?  I don't think they would necessarily help  Tan Crean in recruiting for another school.  Also, have Novak, Wade or Diener ever been coached by Buzz?  Wes has had a chance to experience both coaches and could provide valuable insights in comparing and contrasting coaching styles.  

I think NavinJohnson's comment is based on Wes's public comments he made this year that he felt Buzz's offense allowed him the freedom that he lacked under the previous coach.  I think he used the term, "having a towel removed from his head" or something like that.  Wes could perhaps be persuasive in convincing him that he has more upside under Buzz's system than Crean's.

I totally understand where his comments came from....though in a follow-up article Wes also changed his tune a bit.

And no, I'm not saying those guys are Indiana fans....but they have all said Crean made them better.  Wade has already said he would help Crean (and still MU).  Sorry, didn't mean to make it a strange comment, my point was simply that  basically all teams have examples for or against that can be used.  Yes, we could trot out Wes Matthews and say "see, this is what will happen to you under Crean".  And Crean could easily trot out...."see the guys in the NBA that I've put in there" and rattle off a list of guys.   It all cancels itself out was ultimately my point. 

Seems kind of silly to me.   Hopefully the kid comes to MU, if he doesn't, I hope he goes to my other alma mater at IU. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:14:05 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »

There is no way those guys are enthusiastic recruiters for Crean.

Besides, as they get older and develop relationships with other authority figures, they'll better understand what a complete horse's ass their college coach was. Remember, this is a guy who awarded his own son "camper of the year" at his basketball camp. You can't make this stuff up. A bigger tool does not walk this earth. You can't expect Diener, Novak or Wade to understand this in their first couple years out of college. But they will...if they don't already.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Remember, this is a guy who awarded his own son "camper of the year" at his basketball camp. You can't make this stuff up.

What? Can anyone confirm that? I don't know if I find that more funny or ridiculous.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »
I totally understand where his comments came from....though in a follow-up article Wes also changed his tune a bit.

And no, I'm not saying those guys are Indiana fans....but they have all said Crean made them better.  Wade has already said he would help Crean (and still MU).  Sorry, didn't mean to make it a strange comment, my point was simply that if basically all teams have examples for or against that can be used.  Yes, we could trot out Wes Matthews and say "see, this is what will happen to you under Crean".  And Crean could easily trot out....see the guys in the NBA that I've put in there and run off a list of guys.   It all cancels itself out was ultimately my point. 

Seems kind of silly to me.   Hopefully the kid comes to MU, if he doesn't, I hope he goes to my other alma mater at IU. 

I am sure Crean has already name-dropped Wade, Novak, and Deiner to the kid.  You coach at a high profile school like MU for 9 years and you should hope to get at least 3 guys in the NBA. At Indiana, he should hope to do better than that.  However, if the kid comes and visits MU, he may meet DJ, Wes, and Jerel. Particularly Wes will be happy, I am sure, to compare and contrast coaching styles which will, without a doubt reflect favorably on Buzz and MU.  C'mon Chicos, admit it!  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:21:41 PM »

That doesn't jive with the reality of what has already happened with his recruiting.  Just as Crean used some MSU former players he coached and recruited to help land guys at MU, he's been leveraging MU former players to leverage guys to IU.

It's done all the time and will continue to be done.  Obviously there are NCAA rules that govern this stuff for obvious reasons.  You can't just have D. Wade pick up the phone and call a recruit on behalf of MU or IU.   But there are all kinds of other ways to use imagery, quotes, endorsements and such to help bring in a recruit.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
What? Can anyone confirm that? I don't know if I find that more funny or ridiculous.

Nope.  Absolutely true. 
The General has taken on a new command.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
You know what? Forget the former players. Just give me, Rican, Hay, Lenny, or Lens 20 minutes with the kid and he'll be a Warrior for life.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
I am sure Crean has already name-dropped Wade, Novak, and Deiner to the kid.  You coach at a high profile school like MU for 9 years and you should hope to get at least 3 guys in the NBA. At Indiana, he should hope to do better than that.  However, if the kid comes and visits MU, he may meet DJ, Wes, and Jerel. Particularly Wes will be happy, I am sure, to compare and contrast coaching styles which will, without a doubt reflect favorably on Buzz and MU.  C'mon Chicos, admit it!  

It depends on the kid, doesn't it?  Look at my own backyard here.  UCLA runs a slow, defensive system that Howland has incorporated.  USC runs a wide open, free flowing offensive system that is "more fun to watch and play in".  That doesn't mean UCLA is losing recruits to USC.  It depends on the kid, what he's looking for, etc.  As I said, all schools / staffs have pluses or minuses that can be applied.

By all means, we should use the Wes example.  And if I were Crean, I'd throw counter examples.  And if I was one of the other schools the kid is after, I'd probably throw additional examples out there to benefit their side.    Certainly there will be some negative recruiting going on as well, part of life.  Until Buzz does it with his own guys, that will be "out there" as well.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »

Understand Chicos is an Indiana fan and a tom Crean fan far over a Marquete fan so when some one says something like that he will retort with a comment like that.  he is welcome to his opinion just remeber where he is coming from and the comment will not appear so "strange".  Sure starnge for a Marquete board but not starnge coming from chicos a an Indiana and Crean fan before Mu fan

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »

Besides, as they get older and develop relationships with other authority figures, they'll better understand what a complete horse's ass their college coach was. Remember, this is a guy who awarded his own son "camper of the year" at his basketball camp. You can't make this stuff up. A bigger tool does not walk this earth. You can't expect Diener, Novak or Wade to understand this in their first couple years out of college. But they will...if they don't already.

ahh not only did he get camper of the year...which may have been fine but what hit the entire AL and the parents of probably 500 kids was that he continued to win every single award announced...the jaw dropping the whispering and the everything apart from outright booing was as surreal a situation as I have ever been in in my life. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 12:55:20 PM »
You know what? Forget the former players. Just give me, Rican, Hay, Lenny, or Lens 20 minutes with the kid and he'll be a Warrior for life.

I'd remove Hay from your list.  If he's an example of a Marquette education you have no chance to convince him to commit.  The Lens I love, he's a good guy and has been since I knew him as a student....Rican, Lenny, yourself....you guys could all pull it off, even mow his lawn if need be.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
Understand Chicos is an Indiana fan and a tom Crean fan far over a Marquete fan so when some one says something like that he will retort with a comment like that.  he is welcome to his opinion just remeber where he is coming from and the comment will not appear so "strange".  Sure starnge for a Marquete board but not starnge coming from chicos a an Indiana and Crean fan before Mu fan

As someone who knows Chico personally, nothing could be farther from the truth.  He's got you ignored, so he won't see this ridiculous post.  He's an MU fan first and foremost.  But it is true that he's also an Indiana fan.  I'm not sure if he's a Crean "fan" but he, like many here, respects and appreciates what Crean did for Marquette and didn't start hating him last April.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »

Anyone with kids is familiar with the youth "coach" capable of pulling a stunt like this. In fact, many parents get into coaching so that their sons and daughters can avoid these types. If true, this tops every "TC is a tool because..." story I've heard by a mile. It would make a great skit if TC ever hosts Saturday Night Live.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 01:39:24 PM »
It's absolutely true. If anything, I understated the incident.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »
His father is going to play a big part in the decision.  The kid is going to going to IU.  No reason to waste any more time on him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 01:44:39 PM »
As someone who knows Chico personally, nothing could be farther from the truth.  He's got you ignored, so he won't see this ridiculous post.  He's an MU fan first and foremost.  But it is true that he's also an Indiana fan.  I'm not sure if he's a Crean "fan" but he, like many here, respects and appreciates what Crean did for Marquette and didn't start hating him last April.

Agreed, thanks Still.   My fandom of IU vs MU is so wide it's incredible.  MU is at the absolute top of my list over every other team including my favorite pro teams.  IU is way, way way down the list.  Of the other schools I attended, I like KU more than IU quite frankly.  As for being a fan of Crean, not really.  He's tough to work for, ego centric, etc....but that pretty much encapsulates Knight, Williams, Doherty, Deane, etc and every other coach I've worked for or with (the ONLY exception has been some of the assistants and Mike Sciosia of the Angels who is a dream).  But yes, when I see ridiculous comments made by some against Crean (some just flat out lies or devoid of any factual information at all simply because of their hatred for the guy), well yes I'll do my best to offer the other side of the story.  As such, I become a "defender".  Oh well.

I'm happy for what Crean did for MU....took us from a school with ONE (ONE ONE ONE) Sweet 16 in 25 years and no more than 2 NCAA consecutive appearances in 20+ years, to a program that saw the Final Four again, went to 6 NCAAs in 8 years, won a conference title, put some great guys into the NBA, graduated nearly all of his players, zero NCAA violations, the Big East, the Al, etc.....yes, I tip my hat to a man that did that.  Doesn't make me a fan of his, but I respect like crazy the results at a school that was in the basketball abyss the last several decades.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »
His father is going to play a big part in the decision.  The kid is going to going to IU.  No reason to waste any more time on him.

That was my thought as well, unless the kid doesn't want to follow in dad's footsteps. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 01:53:04 PM »
MU is at the absolute top of my list over every other team including my favorite pro teams.

As someone who sees Chico's Facebook stuff, I can verify that when he posted his favorite sports teams in the last month or so it was 1) Marquette Warriors; 2) California Angels; 3) Dallas Cowboys; 4) Anaheim Ducks; and 5) Bad News Bears.  Indiana was not on his list.  But he probably just did that to throw us off.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »
I don't understand why it so important for some to denigrate Crean's time at MU claim that he was a terrible recruiter and coach.  Crean must have been doing something right.  Look at how much better the program faired under him as opposed to Mike Deane.  If Crean was a decent coach and Buzz does better then doesn't that raise Buzz's stature even more.  Do the Pittsburgh fans spend time talking about how bad Howland was as a coach?   No, they've got Jamie Dixon and he has turned out to be even better.  Crean's gone, who cares what he does at IU, it has about as much bearing on what happens with MU as what Cal does at Kentucky.
All indications are that we have a guy who can recruit and coach who wants to be here.  Thats enough for me.