[Today at 09:23:57 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644891 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1800 on: August 04, 2017, 10:27:54 PM »
Yeah, it sounds more like an intense DIPA vs. NE since a NE style has almost no bittering. Also, an addition of oats can really help round the body to give it the the creamy texture. One thing to watch when making a NE is that since you leave the yeast in, you need to manage hop additions so it's not too bitter. I asked about hop powder because it can really help you get that juicy character you want from a NE IPA.

Good luck and let us know how your current beer turns out.

Funny part is it is supposed to be a Heady Topper clone... of course I had to alter it a bit.

But I guess I shouldn't have called it a NEDIPA in the first place.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: August 06, 2017, 09:30:53 PM »
I don't know if any one else in WI has been following the battle between the Tavern League etc. and state's craft breweries/wineries. It seems they suspect the Tavern League might attempt to insert changes to Chapter 125 of WI State code at the last minute of the budget bill process. The changes could force all tasting rooms to be closed. Raised Grain Brewery in Waukesha has penned an open letter mentioning that would probably put them out of business.

Here is a link to the Raised Grain letter which includes a form letter you can send to your reps in Madison (as well as a link to find who your reps are).
http://www.raisedgrainbrewing.com/news-blog/open-letter-opposing-budget-bill-amendments

Friends & Fans,

We did not start Raised Grain with the intent of getting involved in politics. However, we feel that our hand is being forced by the threat of a last minute amendment to this year's State Budget Bill that would jeopardize the very existence of our brewery. Please read below and reach out to your State Representative and urge them to support the craft brewing business in Wisconsin.

The proposed language would "more strictly define" the three-tier system, which consists of manufacturers (breweries big and small), wholesalers/distributors, and retailers (bars/restaurants/liquor stores). If this were to unfold, we could lose our right to self-distribute and our right to have a taproom. Without these avenues, we are unable to build our brand as we choose to.

More importantly, we wouldn't be able to afford the sizable investments we have made in a new building, a shiny new brewhouse, new fermenters, a new canning line and all the other brewery equipment we will be purchasing. We'd close in under a month without taproom revenue.

Raised Grain would be gone. It's that simple.

We are not unique in this situation. There are many other small start-up breweries in Wisconsin that would face the same fate. Probably some mid-to-large craft breweries, too.

The outlook for Wisconsin would be bleak. The trend for craft beer is "local, local, local." If Wisconsin were to lose many of its 140 craft breweries, this would affect so many industries, including tourism (which is partially driven by craft breweries), as well as bars and restaurants that would not have any local beer options to serve.

As we near two years of operations, we have developed strong relationships with nearly 100 bars, restaurants and liquor stores (and counting). We support their growth by supplying them with exciting (fresh) beer choices that help their businesses grow and attract new customers.

We donated over $6,000 worth of goods and services to local charities in our first year of operation. We are on track to double that this year. Again, we are not unique in this regard. Craft breweries play very active roles within their local communities.

Please take the time to voice your opposition to any last-minute amendments to this year's Budget Bill that would so negatively impact Raised Grain, other craft breweries, you as craft beer fans, and the great State of Wisconsin. You can find your State Senator and Representative information on the State of Wisconsin website.

Thank you,

- Raised Grain Brewing Co.

Not too surprised as they truly have exploded on the scene. Good thing the craft brewers' lobbyist was on his/her game.

Speaking of this, want to give a shout out to Leinenkugel tasting room. Stopped by last week. 5 tasters for $5 and you get to keep the glass is a good deal. Would have liked a little better selection though. Wanted to try their watermelon shandy but not offered. I'm not a big shandy guy but that one intrigued me.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1802 on: August 08, 2017, 09:11:19 PM »
Wanted to try their watermelon shandy but not offered. I'm not a big shandy guy but that one intrigued me.

No...you're lucky.  Watermelon + beer is never a good idea. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1803 on: August 08, 2017, 10:07:46 PM »

Bought a 12 pack of a pumpkin beer of theirs in the autumn. Drank 1. It was horrible. Brought it deer hunting. 10 were thrown out

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1804 on: August 09, 2017, 09:08:20 AM »

Bought a 12 pack of a pumpkin beer of theirs in the autumn. Drank 1. It was horrible. Brought it deer hunting. 10 were thrown out

The proper way to drink all pumpkin beer is to open it and immediately pour it down the drain.
But I like to throw handfuls...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: August 09, 2017, 09:10:05 AM »
The proper way to drink all pumpkin beer is to open it and immediately pour it down the drain.

Some people brought pumpkin beer to a party at my house last year, I am looking forward to returning it back to their Labor Day party next month.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: August 09, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »

There are a couple drinkable pumpkin beers

Voodoo Caution! Contains Real Pumpkin Barleywine
Lakefront's Brandy Barrel Aged Doppelbock

Can't say I've enjoyed many other pumpkin beers. I've got a Cigar City Good Gourd Have Mercy (double barrel - rum and bourbon) that I'll open this fall. I've heard that one is pretty good too.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: August 10, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
GTOTM this weekend.  Anyone going?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: September 28, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »
Not sure if Wachusett Brewery gets out of New England, but this has been one of favs in awhile.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wachusett-wally/481639/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: September 28, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
Not sure if Wachusett Brewery gets out of New England, but this has been one of favs in awhile.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wachusett-wally/481639/

Not sure it makes it out of MA!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: September 29, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
They sell Wachusett in Connecticut, but perhaps not every one of their brews.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1811 on: September 29, 2017, 12:54:09 PM »
Not sure it makes it out of MA!

Bummer, most of their stuff is okay, nothing earth shattering..
But this is perfect blend of citrus, bite, is unfiltered which I like

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: September 29, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Maybe you want some of this for Halloween season?
Very tasty stuff.

https://tworoadsbrewing.com/beers/view/roadsmarys-baby

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1813 on: September 29, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »
Bummer, most of their stuff is okay, nothing earth shattering..
But this is perfect blend of citrus, bite, is unfiltered which I like

The NEIPA style is fantasic

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: October 02, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
these are pretty tasty and now available year round

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: October 03, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »

One exception (for me anyway):  Ballast Point Watermelon Dorado Double IPA--been one of my go-to's the last two summers.  I generally don't like fruit in my beer (not a fan of sours or saisons etc).  It's a bit harsh but full of flavor with great color and feel.   Most reviewers, however, pan it. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: October 30, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »
Sitting in El Bait Shop in Des Moines.  250 beers

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: October 30, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »
Next up, Central Waters Scotch Ale. Quite tasty. Des Moines is growing on me.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: November 20, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »
I might wander over on Friday:

8 a.m.: Lakefront Brewery,1872 N. Commerce St., will sell its Russian Imperial Stout Black Friday in 750-milliliter bottles for $15 (limit three). Also available while supplies last is Special Reserve XXX  — beer aged in bourbon barrels from 2014 through 2016 for $25. Also look for coffee and breakfast burritos to be sold outside.
Ludum habemus.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: November 20, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »
Worse, I recently had a watermelon and sea salt concoction (I refuse to call it beer) called Green Zebra from Founders.  Ick.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1820 on: November 20, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »
I might wander over on Friday:

8 a.m.: Lakefront Brewery,1872 N. Commerce St., will sell its Russian Imperial Stout Black Friday in 750-milliliter bottles for $15 (limit three). Also available while supplies last is Special Reserve XXX  — beer aged in bourbon barrels from 2014 through 2016 for $25. Also look for coffee and breakfast burritos to be sold outside.

I'm thinking the same.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1821 on: November 20, 2017, 07:43:47 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/beer/2017/11/20/brenner-brewing-announces-close-week/882354001/

Good local brewery going out of business. Got too big too fast and I think fell victim to the explosion of brewery competition over the last 3 years
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: November 20, 2017, 08:30:34 PM »
Not sure how this happens.  Also not sure why their bacon bomb beer was their flagship beer.  Now that I think more, I see why they're closing.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1823 on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:55 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/beer/2017/11/20/brenner-brewing-announces-close-week/882354001/

Good local brewery going out of business. Got too big too fast and I think fell victim to the explosion of brewery competition over the last 3 years

Eh. The only beer he brewed that I was really impressed with was the Witchcraft Imperial Stout he made a few years back.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: November 21, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
Any quality breweries in the Green Bay area?