[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 650345 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1725 on: May 08, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
On Friday night, my wife had a sour ipa from Epic.  It was actually really delicious.

Also, I picked up two bottles of KBS on Saturday!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1726 on: May 16, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »
A bunch of us decided to pay our 1st visits to 2 of the newer breweries around Milwaukee. We started at Biloba in Brookfield and they had a couple of decent beers and some non-descript to downright awful ones but that taproom is terrible especially if they happen to have a patron with an overly loud and obnoxious voice as they did during our visit.
Our next stop was to Raised Grain in Waukesha, what a step up in taprooms, much larger and several big screens tuned to sports. They have 12 tap lines so we shared several flights to sample as much as we could. They had an IPA made with Galena hops that was not impressive but everything else was quite good and some like the Black Walnut stout were excellent per our group.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:37:33 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: June 03, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »
Just had a couple of Surly Smoked.

Good golly, that was some darned tasty brew.  Num num.

Smoked would pair well with Sonoran Habenero.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: June 03, 2016, 09:18:14 PM »
Just had a couple of Surly Smoked.

Good golly, that was some darned tasty brew.  Num num.

Smoked would pair well with Sonoran Habenero.

I had that with a pork chop dish during a Surly beer dinner at the happy gnome about 8 years ago.  I agree great stuff.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1729 on: June 03, 2016, 09:30:26 PM »
Was out in Denver over Memorial day weekend, took some time to visit Avery brewing in their new facility and loved it. A lot good experimentals, sours, and barrel aged beers. Brand new facility and solid food choices. Great place and I highly recommend.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: July 11, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/07/grand_rapids_brewery_to_make_b.html#incart_river_home

Brewery Vivant's specialty is Belgian style brews.   Not my personal favorite.   Brewery is in a former funeral home.    A 10-30 minute drive from the venues if you are in Grand Rapids for the basketball showcases.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: August 08, 2016, 09:16:06 AM »
Had a 25 oz bottle of The Crooked Hobo, a Baltic Porter from Ahnapee Brewery in Algoma, WI.  Whiskey barrel aged.  Veeeery good.  And I have no clue what makes it a "Baltic" Porter.  Or what that even means.
Ludum habemus.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1732 on: August 08, 2016, 09:24:12 AM »
Had a 25 oz bottle of The Crooked Hobo, a Baltic Porter from Ahnapee Brewery in Algoma, WI.  Whiskey barrel aged.  Veeeery good.  And I have no clue what makes it a "Baltic" Porter.  Or what that even means.

At this point I believe it's marketing, a baltic porter used to be a stronger version of the standard porter that was sent from Norway/Sweden to the Dutch(across the North Sea) in the 1700s. I don't think there is any particular function to the name any more. Sort of like there is functionally no difference between a porter and a stout that I can determine.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1733 on: August 08, 2016, 10:06:56 AM »

BJCP Guidelines on Baltic Porter

9C. Baltic Porter

Overall Impression: A Baltic Porter often has the malt flavors reminiscent of an English porter and the restrained roast of a schwarzbier, but with a higher OG and alcohol content than either. Very complex, with multi-layered malt and dark fruit flavors.

Aroma: Rich malty sweetness often containing caramel, toffee, nutty to deep toast, and/or licorice notes. Complex alcohol and ester profile of moderate strength, and reminiscent of plums, prunes, raisins, cherries or currants, occasionally with a vinous Port-like quality. Some darker malt character that is deep chocolate, coffee or molasses but never burnt. No hops. No sourness. Very smooth.

Appearance: Dark reddish-copper to opaque dark brown (not black). Thick, persistent tan-colored head. Clear, although darker versions can be opaque.

Flavor: As with aroma, has a rich malty sweetness with a complex blend of deep malt, dried fruit esters, and alcohol. Has a prominent yet smooth schwarzbier-like roasted flavor that
stops short of burnt. Mouth-filling and very smooth. Clean lager character. Starts sweet but darker malt flavors quickly dominates and persists through finish. Just a touch dry with a hint of roast coffee or licorice in the finish. Malt can have a caramel, toffee, nutty, molasses and/or licorice complexity. Light hints of black currant and dark fruits. Medium-low to medium bitterness from malt and hops, just to provide balance. Hop flavor from slightly spicy hops ranges from none to medium-low.

Mouthfeel: Generally quite full-bodied and smooth, with a well-aged alcohol warmth. Medium to medium-high carbonation, making it seem even more mouth-filling. Not heavy on the tongue due to carbonation level.

Comments: May also be described today as an Imperial Porter, although heavily roasted or hopped versions are not appropriate for this style. Most versions are in the 7–8.5% ABV range. Danish breweries often refer to them as Stouts, which indicates their historic lineage from the days when Porter was
used as a generic name for Porter and Stout.

History: Traditional beer from countries bordering the Baltic Sea, developed indigenously after higher-gravity export brown or imperial stouts from England were established. Historically top-fermented, many breweries adapted the recipes for bottom-fermenting yeast along with the rest of their production.

Characteristic Ingredients: Generally lager yeast (cold fermented if using ale yeast, as is required when brewed in Russia). Debittered chocolate or black malt. Munich or Vienna base malt. Continental hops (Saazer-type, typically). May contain crystal malts and/or adjuncts. Brown or amber malt common in historical recipes.

Style Comparison: Much less roasted and smoother than an Imperial Stout, typically with less alcohol. Lacks the roasty qualities of stouts in general, more taking on the roasted-butnot-burnt characteristics of a schwarzbier. Quite fruity compared to other porters. Higher alcohol than other porters.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.060 – 1.090
IBUs: 20 – 40 FG: 1.016 – 1.024
SRM: 17 – 30 ABV: 6.5 – 9.5%

Commercial Examples: Aldaris Porteris, Baltika #6 Porter, Devils Backbone Danzig, Okocim Porter, Sinebrychoff Porter, Zywiec Porter

But I like to throw handfuls...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: August 08, 2016, 10:33:32 AM »
At this point I believe it's marketing, a baltic porter used to be a stronger version of the standard porter that was sent from Norway/Sweden to the Dutch(across the North Sea) in the 1700s. I don't think there is any particular function to the name any more. Sort of like there is functionally no difference between a porter and a stout that I can determine.

Chili's BJCP copy/paste gives all the detail one needs. The short version could be Baltic Porter is a lager so there's more nuance than just a marketing ploy.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1735 on: August 08, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »
Anyone whose been abroad have any recommendations for decent British Domestics? Month out from going to London and just kind of realized that I won't have Miller Lite out there.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: August 08, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »
Anyone whose been abroad have any recommendations for decent British Domestics? Month out from going to London and just kind of realized that I won't have Miller Lite out there.

In terms of traditional breweries you have one of fav's in Fullers. In terms of local craft you have Camden Town, Beaverton, Brew By Numbers and many more.

Also, make sure you take a Saturday and head to the Bermondsey Beer Mile. It's one of the best beer experiences in the world.

http://thecitylane.com/london-the-bermondsey-beer-mile/

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1737 on: August 08, 2016, 11:46:11 AM »

Miller Lite and decent are colliding in the same thought??? I suppose it could be worse, could have been Bud Lite or Ice House or something

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: August 08, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
Miller Lite and decent are colliding in the same thought??? I suppose it could be worse, could have been Bud Lite or Ice House or something

You have you realize what I drank at Marquette. Keystone, Natty Light and PBR for days. I know there are way better beers than Miller Lite but it's my go to beer for nights out. Cheap and fine for what it is.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: August 08, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »
Any of you Sophisticats hit up the Beer Spa in Prague or Budapest?  Nice to relax in the public baths in a hot tub of barley, malt and hops with a free flowing tapper within reach.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #1740 on: August 08, 2016, 10:54:40 PM »
I spent this past weekend up in Portland Maine. Great coastal city with great food and an awesome craft beer scene. I think there are 11 breweries in town most notably Allagash and Shipyard. Allagash white is great and widely distributed so I'd give it a try if you haven't already. I tried a bunch of other local brews from several different breweries in town and they were all really good. I'd recommend a visit to Portland if you're ever in NE in the summertime

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1741 on: August 09, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »
I spent this past weekend up in Portland Maine. Great coastal city with great food and an awesome craft beer scene. I think there are 11 breweries in town most notably Allagash and Shipyard. Allagash white is great and widely distributed so I'd give it a try if you haven't already. I tried a bunch of other local brews from several different breweries in town and they were all really good. I'd recommend a visit to Portland if you're ever in NE in the summertime

Love Shipyard's Pumpkin....my favorite of the autumn seasonal beers.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #1742 on: August 09, 2016, 08:44:08 AM »
Any of you Sophisticats hit up the Beer Spa in Prague or Budapest?  Nice to relax in the public baths in a hot tub of barley, malt and hops with a free flowing tapper within reach.

First one stateside, if you're interested.  A stone's throw from Bend's 20+ breweries.  Just don't go on Rodeo weekend.

http://www.hopinthespa.com

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: August 09, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »

Portland is a great city. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: August 09, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »

Mine too.  And the brewery in Downtown Portland, ME is very cool to visit!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: August 09, 2016, 09:30:17 AM »

Pumpkin does not belong in beer at all IMO. The fall bastardization of beer is at ridiculous levels.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1746 on: August 09, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »
Pumpkin does not belong in beer at all IMO. The fall bastardization of beer is at ridiculous levels.

There is definitely some truth to your statement but I look at it from two perspectives: can there be good beer even if the style is over commercialized and do these styles bring more people to the yard so to speak.

Like with any style the Yam beers can be over-created and over produced as a marketing scheme but there are definitely some very good yams and they aren't any more or less worth of being beers than some IPAs(grapefruit anyone?), Shandys(Raddler) or a Marzen. I happen to think some really good yams worth having are Shipyard(especially the Imperial version) Pumpkin Down by Ballast, Pumking by Southern Tier and Pimp[KY]n from Avery. Are there some really bad ones or overhyped, absolutely but that doesn't invalidate the style any more than a bad IPA, etc

As far as the usefulness of the style/commercialization, I think the yams are very good even though some may look down their nose at them. The Pumpkin and Marzen's are how I got my wife into beers and now she drinks all sorts of different beers...it was a gateway drug of sorts. In fact, she was pregnant last fall so I had to run out and buy a bunch of her favorite fall beers so she could have them when our son was born in November. Took up a whole shelf on my basement FoMB(Fridge of Many Beers pronounced like tomb). To me that's awesome, and it's great that new drinkers can be brought into the fold. I hate fruity beers generally and fruit IPAs specifically....but I totally get why they exist and would never poo poo them.

Just my opinion I guess. {steps off soapbox}

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: August 09, 2016, 09:53:56 AM »
There is definitely some truth to your statement but I look at it from two perspectives: can there be good beer even if the style is over commercialized and do these styles bring more people to the yard so to speak.

Like with any style the Yam beers can be over-created and over produced as a marketing scheme but there are definitely some very good yams and they aren't any more or less worth of being beers than some IPAs(grapefruit anyone?), Shandys(Raddler) or a Marzen. I happen to think some really good yams worth having are Shipyard(especially the Imperial version) Pumpkin Down by Ballast, Pumking by Southern Tier and Pimp[KY]n from Avery. Are there some really bad ones or overhyped, absolutely but that doesn't invalidate the style any more than a bad IPA, etc

As far as the usefulness of the style/commercialization, I think the yams are very good even though some may look down their nose at them. The Pumpkin and Marzen's are how I got my wife into beers and now she drinks all sorts of different beers...it was a gateway drug of sorts. In fact, she was pregnant last fall so I had to run out and buy a bunch of her favorite fall beers so she could have them when our son was born in November. Took up a whole shelf on my basement FoMB(Fridge of Many Beers pronounced like tomb). To me that's awesome, and it's great that new drinkers can be brought into the fold. I hate fruity beers generally and fruit IPAs specifically....but I totally get why they exist and would never poo poo them.

Just my opinion I guess. {steps off soapbox}

There is only one way to drink pumpkin beers IMO, pouring them down the drain. Bleck!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1748 on: August 09, 2016, 10:30:31 AM »
My brother who lives in Milwaukee just visited me here in Charlotte last week. We went to a couple great bars who had some of the area's fantastic craft beers on tap.

My effen brother ordered effen PBR every time.

Heartbreaking.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1749 on: August 09, 2016, 11:11:25 AM »
My brother who lives in Milwaukee just visited me here in Charlotte last week. We went to a couple great bars who had some of the area's fantastic craft beers on tap.

My effen brother ordered effen PBR every time.

Heartbreaking.

Sounds like the kind of guy that kicks puppies