[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 650295 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1700 on: February 26, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »

If only all middle aged midwest dopes were as hip as you.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #1701 on: March 05, 2016, 03:16:20 PM »
Any Scoopers going to Dark Lord Day? Got tickets for the first time this year -- group B.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #1702 on: March 07, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
Any Scoopers going to Dark Lord Day? Got tickets for the first time this year -- group B.

Right here, the queue system for tickets seemed to have some hiccups but a few buddies and I got tickets. Ended up in group D, hopefully some decent variants will be available by that group time.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1705 on: April 01, 2016, 09:00:21 AM »
I don't know who the Beer selection committee was, but there must have been a lot of crappy auto-qualifiers into the round of 64.  Not a horrible FF, but probably wouldn't be my choice.

Hopefully the Vegas Beer 16 had a better field.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1706 on: April 01, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »
Hopefully the Vegas Beer 16 had a better field.

They could only get 8:

PBR
Schlitz
High Life
Yuengling
Genny Cream
Summer Shandy
Grain Belt
Lone Star

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: April 01, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
Great Final Four. I'd go Pliny

except Bell's 2-Hearted fans must have stuffed the ballot box

Note: I was told at Discount Liquor Thursday that KBS should be on sale about 6pm Friday at both stores
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:17:54 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: April 02, 2016, 08:42:34 AM »
except Bell's 2-Hearted fans must have stuffed the ballot box

Note: I was told at Discount Liquor Thursday that KBS should be on sale about 6pm Friday at both stores

There is a keg of KBS being tapped at Hop Cat in Madison at 4pm on Monday.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: April 03, 2016, 07:32:12 AM »
Visiting my wife's extended family in Wisconsin.  Talking about KBS.  Was asked how it compares to New Holland Dragon's Milk.  DM is about 90% as potent from a taste perspective as KBS.   But you can find it year round.  IMO, if you can get a KBS, it is worth the effort once.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: April 03, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »
Had the chance to visit and sample Kona Brewings Makana series they made for the Kona Brewers Festival.
Of special note was 4never's Ai-na choice (Earth), Water (Kai), Wind (Makini) and Fire (Wela). The Ai-na Brown Ale was my fav from that series, although I have a thing for Reds (Fire). 

http://konabrewingco.com/makana-series/

Also got a sample of First Rock which was their original recipe for Fire Rock Pale Ale. Loved the Hakeo Pineapple ISA. Yummy.

Kona just broke ground on a new brewery that will increase capacity 10 times to 100,000 barrels.  They will add a can line as well as expanding draught.  All bottles of Kona are brewed in the Pacific NW, btw, as there are no bottle makers in Hawaii. This is right (almost) next to the current brewery and restaurant which will stay in place. Interesting that they use their spent grain in their pizza crust...which is outstanding.

Fun festival if anyone gets to visit the Big Island.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: May 04, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »
Not wanting to sound too old school but has anyone noticed the dearth of MaiBock this year.  Randy Sprecher used to have a very decent one this time of year went to Ray's and couldn't find even one.

On an even more depressing note there were 6 or 7 Grapefruit Shandy's available
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: May 04, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
Lakefront rolled out a new one this year, Schell's usually has a few types but I prefer doppels, I like the German imports like Celebrator, Korbinian, Optimator or else my own: Companionator

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1713 on: May 04, 2016, 01:40:56 PM »
Not wanting to sound too old school but has anyone noticed the dearth of MaiBock this year.  Randy Sprecher used to have a very decent one this time of year went to Ray's and couldn't find even one.

On an even more depressing note there were 6 or 7 Grapefruit Shandy's available

Fruity beer has seemingly become all the rage again(mostly around IPAs) and for some reason it depresses me. I just don't care for them and it seems a cynical play to get "average" drinkers into craft beers.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1714 on: May 04, 2016, 02:23:26 PM »
Lakefront rolled out a new one this year, Schell's usually has a few types but I prefer doppels, I like the German imports like Celebrator, Korbinian, Optimator or else my own: Companionator

Lakefront toned down their former Big Easy, which weighed in at almost 9%.

Fruity beer has seemingly become all the rage again (mostly around IPAs) and for some reason it depresses me.

Noticing that as well. Lotta citrus IPAs out there this spring. I'm not necessarily anti-fruit (I'll knock back a few radlers during the summer) but that fad can go away anytime.

More than anything else, I think it's brewers trying to inch ahead in an incredibly saturated IPA market.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1715 on: May 04, 2016, 02:30:03 PM »
Lakefront toned down their former Big Easy, which weighed in at almost 9%.

Noticing that as well. Lotta citrus IPAs out there this spring. I'm not necessarily anti-fruit (I'll knock back a few radlers during the summer) but that fad can go away anytime.

More than anything else, I think it's brewers trying to inch ahead in an incredibly saturated IPA market.

Listen, I love me a radler, especially if I'm in Germany, but this is out of hand.

And I don't get why IPAs are A) saturated and B) citrus flavors are the key to expand it. IPAs seem like the most "difficult" of the styles to attract a wide audience, so why are there so many? Is it saturated with the craft elite and to open it up to more drinkers they are "cirtifying" the style?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1716 on: May 04, 2016, 03:51:53 PM »
sours are becoming the new IPA

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:52 PM »
Agree and if once one craft brewery overpowers the beer taste with some infused fruit flavor do you really need 10 more.  And wasn't this already available i.e. vodka and lemonade (or whatever)
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »
Lakefront cancelling Big Easy was a punch to the gut for me.

I used to love them, but making it easy to only like them lately.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1719 on: May 05, 2016, 12:22:10 PM »
Thoughts on Capitol's maibock? I think it's decent, not great.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: May 05, 2016, 12:24:04 PM »
Thoughts on Capitol's maibock? I think it's decent, not great.

that fairly describes every Capitol brew I have tasted

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: May 05, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »
that fairly describes every Capitol brew I have tasted

That's a great point. Capital seems to have really nailed down the good enough approach.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1722 on: May 05, 2016, 01:16:52 PM »
sours are becoming the new IPA

In that they are overproduced and overliked or in that they are the new "inaccessible" beer only for the discerning beer drinker?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1723 on: May 05, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
In that they are overproduced and overliked or in that they are the new "inaccessible" beer only for the discerning beer drinker?

lol, I guess your 1st option sort of aligns with my thoughts that the sour style is the latest fad trend that every brewery feels compelled to get into like IPAs have been for the previous 10 years

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1724 on: May 05, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »
lol, I guess your 1st option sort of aligns with my thoughts that the sour style is the latest fad trend that every brewery feels compelled to get into like IPAs have been for the previous 10 years

I fear you are right, I really enjoy sours and I don't want them to become IPAs

We might be 5 years from a Tangerine Sour Beer by Travelling Beer company

feedback