[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 650518 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1625 on: October 02, 2015, 02:18:02 PM »
The sole impetus for my starting to homebrew imperials was because I was too cheap to pay $20 for a bottle of Dark Lord and too lazy to drive to Munster.

Now, I'm starting to scout for whiskey barrels.

I've used chunks of whiskey barrels from the local distillery in my 5 gallon batches.  Two 6 x 1/2 inch staves dropped in the secondary gave me a great flavor.  It's too bad I made it before I switched to all grain brewing.  Kits always taste a little bit off to me.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1626 on: October 02, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »
I've used chunks of whiskey barrels from the local distillery in my 5 gallon batches.  Two 6 x 1/2 inch staves dropped in the secondary gave me a great flavor.  It's too bad I made it before I switched to all grain brewing.  Kits always taste a little bit off to me.

You should try aging after fermentation is complete. Never tried it on a home brew scale but it's worth a try as it's how we do it on the big scale. Just curious if it would make a big difference.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: October 02, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
You should try aging after fermentation is complete. Never tried it on a home brew scale but it's worth a try as it's how we do it on the big scale. Just curious if it would make a big difference.

I would imagine that you probably don't want the wood - or any porous or absorbent material, for that matter - in contact during active fermentation for one reason: acetaldehyde.  It would be a good way to give aged beer a nice "green" flavor.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: October 02, 2015, 05:43:34 PM »

I should have been more clear.   I dropped the staves in after secondary was completed.  Let sit for 9 months.  Mistakes were made... but oh well.  It's still pretty good for a homebrew

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: October 03, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
For a 5 gallon batch of stout, I soak 1-2 oz. of medium toasted oak spirals in a liter of bourbon for 3 weeks and then dump all of it into the secondary after fermentation stops, bottle 3 weeks later.

9 months might lend to a pretty strong oak flavor although that should fade as it ages.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1630 on: October 13, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »
No rare day invite for me.  Anybody get the chance to go (and need a +1 :) )?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1631 on: October 22, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
No rare day invite for me.  Anybody get the chance to go (and need a +1 :) )?

Well blow me.  I got an invite that went to my spam box on Oct 20, with the requirement to buy tickets within 24-hours.  Just saw it tonight.  I heard the original folks had 3 days to buy, so I was checking the spam box every couple days.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: November 06, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »
Here's an interesting story about Best/Pabst family scandals back in the 1800's. I've never heard these stories before but they must have really rocked the boat back then.

http://mkemurmur.tumblr.com/post/2904513359/lost-milwaukee-the-schandein-mansion

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #1633 on: November 06, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »
I had the Great Lakes burning River, and Founders old Dirty Bastard last night for the 1st time. Both were solid but nothing amazing. I've had better from both Brewers. I also had Zombie dust for the 1st time a couple weeks ago, and that was unreal. One of the best beers I've ever had.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: November 06, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
I had the Great Lakes burning River, and Founders old Dirty Bastard last night for the 1st time. Both were solid but nothing amazing. I've had better from both Brewers. I also had Zombie dust for the 1st time a couple weeks ago, and that was unreal. One of the best beers I've ever had.

I like the Dortmunder Gold.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #1635 on: November 06, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »
I like the Dortmunder Gold.

Same here, the Dort is good. From what I've had I think I like their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter the best though

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1636 on: November 06, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »
Same here, the Dort is good. From what I've had I think I like their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter the best though

The Fitz is my favorite of Great Lakes and it may be my favorite mainstream Porter in general.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: November 06, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »
When I used to business travel to Cleveland, I used to find a way to come home with a 6-pack of Great Lakes wrapped up in my suitcase and a bottle of Bertman's mustard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: November 06, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
IMHO Great Lakes best beer by far is Nosferatu.  If you're lucky you can still find some on the shelves.

Picked up a 4 pack of Backwoods Bastard tonight... I still have two stashed away from last year...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1639 on: November 07, 2015, 05:14:20 PM »
Their christmas beer is also pretty outstanding, if you like that sort of thing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1640 on: November 07, 2015, 09:15:06 PM »
Their christmas beer is also pretty outstanding, if you like that sort of thing.

Their Christmas sucks...it's like a yankee candle blew it's load in your mouth - way to much spice. Anywho, had a 2012 Firestone Walker Double DBA tonight amongst toher things (2014 BCBS, 2013 Cantillon) but tit was great. Back to whiskey.
But I like to throw handfuls...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1641 on: November 08, 2015, 07:47:09 AM »
Went on a little shopping spree yesterday.

Found 24 packs of Goose IPA for $15. Picked up four.

Also found FFF Dreadnaught, Alpha King & Gumball head.

Got my first set of Pipeworks Ninja v. Unicorn in cans. I also snagged the last bottle of Brown & Stirred, which is a Manhattan inspired ale.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: November 08, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »

Got my first set of Pipeworks Ninja v. Unicorn in cans. I also snagged the last bottle of Brown & Stirred, which is a Manhattan inspired ale.

How long will it take you to get through the 96 cans of Goose?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: November 08, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »
How long will it take you to get through the 96 cans of Goose?

I've got a couple parties coming up, and I'll bring a case to look like a solid party guest.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: November 09, 2015, 09:22:13 AM »

Love Dreadnaught and Alpha King; Ninja v. Unicorn outstanding and now in cans, which is nice (it's a staple).

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: November 09, 2015, 09:30:38 AM »
I've got a couple parties coming up, and I'll bring a case to look like a solid party guest.

That is solid party guest manners. A lost art these days.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1646 on: November 09, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
Love Dreadnaught and Alpha King; Ninja v. Unicorn outstanding and now in cans, which is nice (it's a staple).

Curious on where the folks on this thread stand on cans vs bottles.  I get all the arguments but I still think it comes down to personal preference whether you'd prefer cans or bottles.

I will say, I generally prefer bottles but I like that some very nice beers are canning because that makes life so much easier to bring a good beer in the golf bag.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: November 09, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »
Curious on where the folks on this thread stand on cans vs bottles.  I get all the arguments but I still think it comes down to personal preference whether you'd prefer cans or bottles.

I will say, I generally prefer bottles but I like that some very nice beers are canning because that makes life so much easier to bring a good beer in the golf bag.

I'm a big fan of cans, easier. Beer needs to be poured out of the vessel anyway.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1648 on: November 09, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »

I have always liked nice cans.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: November 09, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »

I only purchase cans. It's a combo of more options being canned these days and just simple logistics in it being easier to stack in the fridge and packing for a trip.