[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644586 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1225 on: September 20, 2013, 09:22:06 PM »
When you drink from a can you will smell metal which will give beer a metal taste. Aroma is a HUGE part of beer. Also, beer in a bottle or can is at a higher CO2 than draft and needs to be poured out in order to release some excess carbonation. That is why canned and bottle beer makes you feel more bloated if you drink it without pouring it in a glass.

Interesting. Didn't know all that. Especially the co2 bit

Jimmy B is the Man

• Walk-On
« Reply #1226 on: September 21, 2013, 12:45:18 AM »
While I can appreciate what New Glarus does, it is over saturation for me.  I see it all the time, and everyone has it on tap.  It isn't special.  Sure they make a lot of great beers, but they're established and haven't done a whole lot of experimentation lately.  Their thumbprint stuff was great the first year, but now it is just a seasonal thing rather than one offs.  Their beer is quite good, but its gone stale for me since I live about 20 miles from NG.

http://www.businessinsider.com/experts-pick-best-beers-in-the-world-2013-9

This should make you feel better.

I think their experimentation and quality one-offs have been off the charts lately.  In the last few months their thumbprints have included a Berliner Weiss (best berliner I've ever had) and a Wild Sour Ale (first time New Glarus has made this beer, and fantastic... my favorite american sour outside of Russian River), in addition to the Very Sour Blackberry Ale they just released, and the 20th Anniversary Strong Ale, AND the Strawberry Rhubarb fruit beer. What other breweries have released this many new, diverse products over a few month span?

Their new sour barrel room was recently completed and we are finally starting reap the rewards. The Wild Sour Ale was brewed almost 3 years ago if I recall correctly... so I'm very excited to see what else they having coming down the pipeline. I wouldn't be surprised if they developed into the 'Russian River of the Midwest' in regards to sours.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:52:00 AM by Jimmy B is the Man »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1227 on: September 21, 2013, 08:20:23 AM »
I think their experimentation and quality one-offs have been off the charts lately.  In the last few months their thumbprints have included a Berliner Weiss (best berliner I've ever had) and a Wild Sour Ale (first time New Glarus has made this beer, and fantastic... my favorite american sour outside of Russian River), in addition to the Very Sour Blackberry Ale they just released, and the 20th Anniversary Strong Ale, AND the Strawberry Rhubarb fruit beer. What other breweries have released this many new, diverse products over a few month span?

Their new sour barrel room was recently completed and we are finally starting reap the rewards. The Wild Sour Ale was brewed almost 3 years ago if I recall correctly... so I'm very excited to see what else they having coming down the pipeline. I wouldn't be surprised if they developed into the 'Russian River of the Midwest' in regards to sours.

The Berliner was great and the addition of grape skins was extremely smart but to call them a possible RR of the MW, no way. And if you think their sours are good I would love to invite you try any of the Goose Island 3 current sisters (Lolita, Juliet & Madam Rose) plus we are releasing 2 other new sisters next month too. I would put our sours against anyone's and they can hold their own. We are continuing to grow the nations oldest and largest barrel aging program.

Another brewery to look at is Perennial in St. Louis, their Berliner was ridiculous.

All that said, Russian River sours are still the sheeet! 
But I like to throw handfuls...

Jimmy B is the Man

• Walk-On
« Reply #1228 on: September 21, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
The Berliner was great and the addition of grape skins was extremely smart but to call them a possible RR of the MW, no way. And if you think their sours are good I would love to invite you try any of the Goose Island 3 current sisters (Lolita, Juliet & Madam Rose) plus we are releasing 2 other new sisters next month too. I would put our sours against anyone's and they can hold their own. We are continuing to grow the nations oldest and largest barrel aging program.

Another brewery to look at is Perennial in St. Louis, their Berliner was ridiculous.

All that said, Russian River sours are still the sheeet!  

You are absolutely correct, I don't believe NG deserves the title of 'RR of the MW' right now. I'm simply hoping their new sour barrel room will develop that reputation for them eventually. The sour wild ale they just released was great and [I hope] a sign of much more to come.

I will have to grab a bottle of those 3 you mentioned. The last GI Belgian I had was Sofie I believe... and I'm not a huge fan of Brett so I've stayed away from the others... but those 3 you mentioned sound great. I wish you guys would put a better description than "Belgian Style Ale" on the front, it makes it hard to distinguish between the Belgian Pale Ale/Farmhouse Ales (which I don't like), and the Sours/Flanders (which I love).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:39:37 AM by Jimmy B is the Man »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1229 on: September 21, 2013, 10:45:16 AM »
You are absolutely correct, I don't believe NG deserves the title of 'RR of the MW' right now. I'm simply hoping their new sour barrel room will develop that reputation for them eventually. The sour wild ale they just released was great and [I hope] a sign of much more to come.

I will have to grab a bottle of those 3 you mentioned. The last GI Belgian I had was Sofie I believe... and I'm not a huge fan of Brett so I've stayed away from the others... but those 3 you mentioned sound great. I wish you guys would put a better description than "Belgian Style Ale" on the front, it makes it hard to distinguish between the Belgian Pale Ale/Farmhouse Ales (which I don't like), and the Sours/Flanders (which I love).

We changed the labels last year to say the style.  ;D
But I like to throw handfuls...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: September 21, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »

It was a nice move as I had the same complaint.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: September 23, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »
When you drink from a can you will smell metal which will give beer a metal taste. Aroma is a HUGE part of beer. Also, beer in a bottle or can is at a higher CO2 than draft and needs to be poured out in order to release some excess carbonation. That is why canned and bottle beer makes you feel more bloated if you drink it without pouring it in a glass.

^ Also, as I've mentioned, the taste profile of a can pour is closer to a draft pour than a bottle.  A good portion of this is because there is no UV degradation in cans, so they can't skunk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: September 23, 2013, 10:37:15 AM »

The older labels were better looking, but I was never sure what I was getting until I opened it. :)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: September 26, 2013, 08:40:37 PM »
Chili,
You doing the Chicago Idea Week tour @ Goose?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: October 09, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
Picked up a couple of specials at Binny's last night.

3 Floyds Broodoo and Pipeworks Glaucus.

Never found any Pipeworks this far north, excited for that.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: November 05, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
making a trip to the Stevens Point area to attend the O'so 6th birthday bash Saturday and figured we'd also check out tours at Central Waters and the Point Brewery (might as well we had time to kill)

anything else worth seeing up that-a-way?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: November 05, 2013, 02:22:59 PM »
making a trip to the Stevens Point area to attend the O'so 6th birthday bash Saturday and figured we'd also check out tours at Central Waters and the Point Brewery (might as well we had time to kill)

anything else worth seeing up that-a-way?

Point is definitely worth seeing. Its a nice tour.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #1238 on: November 05, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »
Anyone going to Beer Hoptacular in Chicago this weekend?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #1239 on: November 06, 2013, 08:32:42 AM »
On my way to New Orleans for a long wekend.  Any local breweries worth checking out?  (I have an all afternoon "mixology" demo one day which should be interesting, too).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1240 on: November 06, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
On my way to New Orleans for a long wekend.  Any local breweries worth checking out?  (I have an all afternoon "mixology" demo one day which should be interesting, too).

If you're willing to drive 30 miles, Abita is a possibilty.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #1241 on: November 07, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »
Thanks, Hards.  Won't be able to make that drive, but I'll look for it locally. 

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #1242 on: November 08, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »
Thanks, Hards.  Won't be able to make that drive, but I'll look for it locally. 

Had an Abita Restoration Ale last night.  Not too distinctive, but much better than the Buffalo Trace, basil and ginger ale concoction I made the mistake of trying (my fault).  The craft cocktail movement has jumped the shark.  Back to Manhattans.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: November 08, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
Meijer stores in the area now have microbrews priced by the bottle.   You can go pick up 6 microbrews from 6 different brewers, put them in a carton, and pay the combined bottle price.   So, pick a Founders, Breckenridge Porter, New Glarus, Mt. Pleasant, Arcadia, and Bell's.   Take the 6 different flavors home.     Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: November 08, 2013, 06:12:27 PM »
Meijer stores in the area now have microbrews priced by the bottle.   You can go pick up 6 microbrews from 6 different brewers, put them in a carton, and pay the combined bottle price.   So, pick a Founders, Breckenridge Porter, New Glarus, Mt. Pleasant, Arcadia, and Bell's.   Take the 6 different flavors home.     Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ooooo I heard they have this new thing coming out called Super Nintendo too!

But for real, they've had these mix and matchers in WI for almost a decade.  ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: November 08, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
 I'm jealous.   New to Michigan.   I HAVE mixed and matched at Founder's and Bell's, but doing at a grocery with a wide palette of microbrews is new here. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: November 08, 2013, 11:59:07 PM »
I'm jealous.   New to Michigan.   I HAVE mixed and matched at Founder's and Bell's, but doing at a grocery with a wide palette of microbrews is new here.  

They have New Glarus in MI?

Highly recommend Dark Horse Brewery out of Marshall, MI

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: November 11, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
We went to the O’so Brewing 6th birthday bash/fundraiser for Toys for Tots on Saturday. Their taproom has 40 taps and for this they brought out special batches and used all 40. We got through all the ones we wanted to. some of the best IMO were the Barrel aged Spikes, Brett Dank, Hot Train, the Bourbon Night Trains and Barrel aged Kartoffel. The Spikes are interesting as they are not brewed with any water but with maple sap (not syrup) in place of water and they were good, I was surprised I liked them but the barrel one was fantastic.

On Nitro
Vanilla Coffee Night Train – Night Train infused with locally roasted coffee and vanilla beans
Rusty Red

Randall (DFH introduced a device in 2003 called Randall the Enamel Animal, an organoleptic hop transduced module which ‘Randallizes’ a beer by passing through a large plastic tube filled with a flavor enhancer, often raw hops or fruit or coffees beans)

The Big O – wheat ale served though a mystery fruit

Seasonals

Dank 2012 – Winter imperial Red ale aged on a blend of French & American Brandied oak
Spikes Maple 2011 – (Thaw) beer brewed with maple sap in place of water and aged on toasted maple chips

Special (these are beers that we may never brew again

Imperial Black Scotch – Scotch ale brewed big and dark with a hint of smoke
Ya-da-sun Weizen – Decoction mashed, Classic Hefe
Black my eyes, double black IPA
Kartoffel Bock – Potato Maibock brewed for Beer Geeks TV
The Hammer – White cedar aged Imperial Blonde brewed for Aleman in Chicago
Hot Train – Night Train infused with Sweet Datil Peppers
Vanilla Lupulin – 2012 Lupulin Maximus infused with Vanilla beans

Bourbon Aged

Bourbon Night Train 2011 – Straight Night Train aged in Heaven Hill barrels
Bourbon Night Train 2012 – same as above different year
Barrel aged Imperial Scotch Ale – Scotch ale aged in Rye barrels
Barrel aged Kartoffel Bock – Beer Geeks TV Potato Maibock aged in Rye barrels
Barrel aged Dominator – Huge Doppelbock aged in Bernheim Wheat whiskey barrels
Barrel aged Spikes – Spikes Maple aged in Elijah Craig barrels

Funky (These beers all spent time in wood barrels that were inoculated with wild yeasts at different stages of development

Grand Cru – this funky Belgian has been growing at O’so for some time
Brett’n Red – Rusty Red aged on Brett Brux
Brett’n Dinger – Hopdinger refermented with Brett Brux
Rusty Wood – Rusty Red aged in used bourbon barrels
Brett Dank – Dank Imperial Red aged in Brettanomyces barrels
Faster Than Dawn – Night Train aged in our Wee on the Lam barrels
Brett Dominator – Doppelbock aged in, what the hell, why not?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: November 27, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
First mix n match dream 6 pack.   Atwater Java Porter, New Holland Dragon's Milk, Bell's Winter White, Founder' IPA and Porter, Fat Tire Ale.  Mmmmmmmmmmm.

feedback