[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644618 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1200 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:37 AM »
Spent a bit of time in the City last weekend for Riotfest, got connected with an old love of mine, Daisy Cutter. The only Pale I like more than Daisy Cutter is Sierra Nevada. Also tried out a bunch at Half Acre's tap room. Akari Shogun was a nice taste with a subdued wheat. Space, their IPA was also fantastic. I really hope HC expands outside of Cook County.

In the fridge I have two 1/4 barrels of Fixed Gear and Really Cool Waterslides IPA. Picked up New Glarus' Staghorn, very good Octoberfest. I have Revolution's Octoberfest sitting next to it, not nearly as good. A bit boring actually.

For some reason, I decided to try MKE Brewing again and picked up a 6-pack of Pull Chain. God it sucks, if anyone wants a holiday 5-pack of this crap I'll give it to you.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:57:22 AM by PTM »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: September 19, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »

Aaaaaand the quest to go to every one of these breweries has begun.

I have been to Surly only 49 to go.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:14:39 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: September 19, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
I've been to every brewery in Wisconsin, and they picked correctly.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: September 19, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
I would drink Central Waters all day before New Glarus...

I've been to every brewery in Wisconsin, and they picked correctly.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: September 20, 2013, 07:39:51 AM »
Just like I'd drink Lake Louie, and Ale Asylum before New Glarus.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1207 on: September 20, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »
Seriously, you think there are other breweries better than New Glarus? Their Thumbprint series on top of Moon Man, Edel Pils, Staghorn are the best beers made in WI. Granted the CW Barrel Aged Program makes some great beers, New Glarus as a whole is tops.

It's also BS they kept us (Goose Island) out bc of our owner. I still firmly say the beers coming out of our Fulton St. Brewery here in Chicago are the best in IL and some of the best in the world.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: September 20, 2013, 09:27:07 AM »
Correct, New Glarus puts out some great stuff, most people just know them for Spotted Cow and Fat Squirrel, and while that stuff is good, the Thumbprint series really puts it in a class above the rest.

Plus I interpreted the article as being about the breweries themselves, not just the beer, and if you've ever been to the (new) New Glarus Brewery, built in the last 5 years, its amazing. Its a craft beer mecca. You could literally spend a whole day there.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: September 20, 2013, 09:28:47 AM »
Correct, New Glarus puts out some great stuff, most people just know them for Spotted Cow and Fat Squirrel, and while that stuff is good, the Thumbprint series really puts it in a class above the rest.

Plus I interpreted the article as being about the breweries themselves, not just the beer, and if you've ever been to the (new) New Glarus Brewery, built in the last 5 years, its amazing. Its a craft beer mecca. You could literally spend a whole day there.

+1

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1210 on: September 20, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
Spent a bit of time in the City last weekend for Riotfest, got connected with an old love of mine, Daisy Cutter. The only Pale I like more than Daisy Cutter is Zombie Dust. Also tried out a bunch at Half Acre's tap room. Akari Shogun was a nice taste with a subdued wheat. Space, their IPA was also fantastic. I really hope HC expands outside of Cook County.

In the fridge I have two 1/4 barrels of Fixed Gear and Really Cool Waterslides IPA. Picked up New Glarus' Staghorn, very good Octoberfest. I have Revolution's Octoberfest sitting next to it, not nearly as good. A bit boring actually.

For some reason, I decided to try MKE Brewing again and picked up a 6-pack of Pull Chain. God it sucks, if anyone wants a holiday 5-pack of this crap I'll give it to you.

I'm a Chi resident, and Daisy Cutter is good stuff, but I hate it out of a can, and they are really pushing that hard in grocery stores. It just tastes metallic to me. But its great on tap. Its one of the few beers whose taste brings me directly to memories of the first times I drank it in grad school. Its like time traveling.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:38:19 AM by Bleuteaux »

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: September 20, 2013, 09:49:39 AM »
What the hell is in Samuel Adams. My buddy had one and developed a serious BONER! He had it so long, we kicked his a$$ out of the man-cave. Glad I don't drink anymore (Thank you Milwaukee's Best).

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1212 on: September 20, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
They are now the US distributor of 3 Penis Wine. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: September 20, 2013, 10:12:22 AM »

the Fat Squirrel is now extinct

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: September 20, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: September 20, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »
I'm a Chi resident, and Daisy Cutter is good stuff, but I hate it out of a can, and they are really pushing that hard in grocery stores. It just tastes metallic to me. But its great on tap. Its one of the few beers whose taste brings me directly to memories of the first times I drank it in grad school. Its like time traveling.

If you're a beer connoisseur, (I assume you are since you participate in this thread) and you drink from the can or from the bottle, allow me give you this coupon... Of course redeemable if I ever see you in person.  If you do a side by side of bottles vs cans poured into a glass, I doubt you can tell the difference.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: September 20, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »

It's also BS they kept us (Goose Island) out bc of our owner. I still firmly say the beers coming out of our Fulton St. Brewery here in Chicago are the best in IL and some of the best in the world.

Just curious, how many barrels do you put out a year?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: September 20, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »
Seriously, you think there are other breweries better than New Glarus? Their Thumbprint series on top of Moon Man, Edel Pils, Staghorn are the best beers made in WI. Granted the CW Barrel Aged Program makes some great beers, New Glarus as a whole is tops.

While I can appreciate what New Glarus does, it is over saturation for me.  I see it all the time, and everyone has it on tap.  It isn't special.  Sure they make a lot of great beers, but they're established and haven't done a whole lot of experimentation lately.  Their thumbprint stuff was great the first year, but now it is just a seasonal thing rather than one offs.  Their beer is quite good, but its gone stale for me since I live about 20 miles from NG.

http://www.businessinsider.com/experts-pick-best-beers-in-the-world-2013-9

This should make you feel better.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: September 20, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »

Well, the can is just a 1/124th scale model of a 1/2 barrel. Pour that tasty goodness into a glass.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: September 20, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: September 20, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
Just curious, how many barrels do you put out a year?

Out of our Chicago brewery, about 80k barrels.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: September 20, 2013, 08:06:06 PM »
Out of our Chicago brewery, about 80k barrels.

Is anything made at the Wrigleyville brewery? Or is that just for show?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: September 20, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »
If you're a beer connoisseur, (I assume you are since you participate in this thread) and you drink from the can or from the bottle, allow me give you this coupon... Of course redeemable if I ever see you in person.  If you do a side by side of bottles vs cans poured into a glass, I doubt you can tell the difference.

I know you're just messing around, but I'm confused. What's wrong with drinking from a can when its how they serve it at a bar? Am I really supposed to be that guy who asks for a glass?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: September 20, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
Is anything made at the Wrigleyville brewery? Or is that just for show?

15 Barrel System - it's a brewpub, not a production brewery. The beer brewed their is either sold at Wrigleyville or Clybourn.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: September 20, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
I know you're just messing around, but I'm confused. What's wrong with drinking from a can when its how they serve it at a bar? Am I really supposed to be that guy who asks for a glass?

When you drink from a can you will smell metal which will give beer a metal taste. Aroma is a HUGE part of beer. Also, beer in a bottle or can is at a higher CO2 than draft and needs to be poured out in order to release some excess carbonation. That is why canned and bottle beer makes you feel more bloated if you drink it without pouring it in a glass.