collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644826 times)

LloydMooresLegs

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1176 on: July 29, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
Lagunitas is building a big brewery in Chicago:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130727/ISSUE01/307279977/this-man-soon-will-be-chicagos%20biggest-brewer?r=9997H0364478A8T

They still don't have any brewing permits yet. They won't be open for quite some time - most likely not for another year or so.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: July 30, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »
They still don't have any brewing permits yet. They won't be open for quite some time - most likely not for another year or so.

Knowing Chicago, you're probably right. :)

Chili, do you get to make it to the Great Taste in Madison?  I had a glass of King Henry last year, and it was awesome... I wonder if you know what your group is bringing this year.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: July 30, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »
Knowing Chicago, you're probably right. :)

Chili, do you get to make it to the Great Taste in Madison?  I had a glass of King Henry last year, and it was awesome... I wonder if you know what your group is bringing this year.

I will be there again this year working (and enjoying the festival) ... as to what we are bringing ....  8-) 8-) 8-)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: July 30, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
I will be there again this year working (and enjoying the festival) ... as to what we are bringing ....  8-) 8-) 8-)

I'll be the dude in the Marquette shirt... assuming I can remember to wear it.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #1180 on: August 01, 2013, 09:35:38 AM »
Any good beer bars in Lake Geneva, WI?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1181 on: August 01, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »
Any good beer bars in Lake Geneva, WI?

Unfortunately, not really.

Sprecher has a restaurant that will have all their brews available. Pretty good food as well.

Geneva Lake Brewery is a bit outside of town in an industrial park, but not worth a visit. The only 'okay' beer is their No Wake IPA.

Grand Geneva does a tasting the first weekend of November which is pretty good. All the usual Midwest crafts are there.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #1182 on: August 01, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
I didn't think Lake Geneva had a decent bar, let alone a solid micro serving pub.  I will be there for the week, and was hopeful that had changed since last year.  You'd think all that suburban money would bring one or two decent pubs about.  Oh well.

Being in Kenosha (with the Uncle Mike's franchises and Slice make things easy to come by.  They always have a solid tap/bottle offering for the beer palette. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: August 01, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »
I didn't think Lake Geneva had a decent bar, let alone a solid micro serving pub.  I will be there for the week, and was hopeful that had changed since last year.  You'd think all that suburban money would bring one or two decent pubs about.  Oh well.

Being in Kenosha (with the Uncle Mike's franchises and Slice make things easy to come by.  They always have a solid tap/bottle offering for the beer palette. 

They do have a nice homebrew store, so there's that.

Anyway, a craft bar in LG would have to do some bango business if anyone wants to fund a start-up for me.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: August 01, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »
They do have a nice homebrew store, so there's that.

Anyway, a craft bar in LG would have to do some bango business if anyone wants to fund a start-up for me.

Sugar Shack

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: August 01, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »
Sugar Shack

Yeah, just turn the downstairs into a nice bar with seating. Leave the upstairs alone for when ZFB and 4ever ditch their families and meet for the night.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: August 08, 2013, 06:15:20 AM »
Anyone else headed to the Peoples Republic of Madison this weekend?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: August 08, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »

Me, if I can manage to find some tickets between now and 1pm Saturday.

Funky Cold Medina

• Walk-On
« Reply #1188 on: August 08, 2013, 04:57:22 PM »

Ticket in hand for my 1st Great Taste.  Heading there tomorrow evening to catch one or a few of the pre-parties/beer tastings.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: August 08, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »
Ticket in hand for my 1st Great Taste.  Heading there tomorrow evening to catch one or a few of the pre-parties/beer tastings.

Anywhere in particular?  If not, I can recommend a spot...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »
Chili, what time are you guys going to be opening your stuff at Madison's?  Any idea when the BCS will hit the taps? :-D

Funky Cold Medina

• Walk-On
« Reply #1191 on: August 09, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
Anywhere in particular?  If not, I can recommend a spot...

Recommendations are always welcomed.  Madison's and Maduro Cigar Bar have been discussed in the group so far.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: August 09, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »
Recommendations are always welcomed.  Madison's and Maduro Cigar Bar have been discussed in the group so far.

Both great choices.  I assume you've been to the greattaste.org website to check out which breweries are going to be at each place.  Madison's won't have food... I think it is just a martini bar.  Maduro is pretty hip.

Personally, I am going to check out the Three Floyd's specialties at Argus (near the square).  Depending on what Chili says regarding the CBS releases I may stop over at Madisons for a beer (I've had most of the others they have listed).

Funky Cold Medina

• Walk-On
« Reply #1193 on: August 09, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »
Both great choices.  I assume you've been to the greattaste.org website to check out which breweries are going to be at each place.  Madison's won't have food... I think it is just a martini bar.  Maduro is pretty hip.

Personally, I am going to check out the Three Floyd's specialties at Argus (near the square).  Depending on what Chili says regarding the CBS releases I may stop over at Madisons for a beer (I've had most of the others they have listed).

Safe assumption to make.  So many choices with so little time.  Argus has been tossed into the ring of potentials. 

This adventure I'll be more of a tourist with my buddy being the guide.  He is the "beer geek" and I drink whatever is in front of me.  I'm learning though.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: August 09, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »
I'm at Argus right now.  Having a "in the name of suffering" by 3f.   Its amazing.  Bipa... But would be awesome in a bourbon or brandy barrel for a while.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: August 09, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »
Also I will no longer be wearing an MU t shirt.  I was comped a 6 pack by my liquor store so I am wearing their shirt... Trixies!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: August 11, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
Well I drank entirely too much.  From Goose I managed (went early) to have a Buffalo Tase (sp?) BCS, and I did a flight of the Haila (sp?) peach barrels and bugs... which was interesting.

I can't say what my favorite beer from yesterday was, but its interesting to note that almost every major brewery had a barrel aged beer.  After a while they all start to taste the same because the flavor from the barrels is so overpowering.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1197 on: September 09, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
I received a bottle of Chocolate Covered Beaver Nuts (chocolate peanut butter imperial stout) from a friend that got it from the batch made by this guy in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwytsrrkBc&list=TL1skLoTPUmA8

Holy cow was this good and you couldn't taste that it was 9.3%abv, I didn't think it sounded good but was I wrong. I've already ordered the powdered peanut butter online to make my own batch of this.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1198 on: September 18, 2013, 07:42:32 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/09/founders_mango_magnifico_wins.html#incart_river_default

Tried it at the brewery, not my thing.   Not a good aroma.   The flavor didn't appeal to me.   Habanero dominated the flavor.  It burned all of the way down.    But to each their own, I guess. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: September 18, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/09/founders_mango_magnifico_wins.html#incart_river_default

Tried it at the brewery, not my thing.   Not a good aroma.   The flavor didn't appeal to me.   Habanero dominated the flavor.  It burned all of the way down.    But to each their own, I guess. 

Had it at Great Taste - not good. Haven't really been impressed with this series from Founders like I thought I would be.

feedback