[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644724 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1150 on: July 13, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »
Do give us an update. These are fun events.

Due to doctors orders I couldn't ride my bike in the parade ride, but it is a good time. Great bands. Good friends. Nice weather.
But I like to throw handfuls...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1151 on: July 13, 2013, 11:12:17 PM »
Due to doctors orders I couldn't ride my bike in the parade ride, but it is a good time. Great bands. Good friends. Nice weather.

Roger that. These are fun events with some fine beer.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: July 16, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »
Tried a beer for the first time the other day that I absolutely loved.

It's called Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss.

Wow, was it good! Gonna buy some (I hope) at my local beer and wine store today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: July 16, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »
^ that's one of the best and rated as such here:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: July 16, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
^ that's one of the best and rated as such here:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731

Thanks for the link, Red.

All I know is that I sampled lots of beer during a weekend in Asheville, which calls itself "Beer City," and that easliy was the best I quaffed.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: July 16, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »

Wow, was it good! Gonna buy some (I hope) at my local beer and wine store today.

The Cheese Castle usually has Weihen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: July 17, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
The Cheese Castle usually has Weihen.

That's good to know. We'll be doing the Chicago-Milwaukee trip very soon. Gotta stop and pick up a sixer!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: July 17, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »
Had a New Belgium French Aramis  "IPA"

Holy christ, it was awful.  I wonder if they got a bad keg, but it was terrible.  Not hoppy despite having 3 different kinds of hops.  Flat, watered down.

I don't know what to say about it... I choked it down.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: July 17, 2013, 07:53:32 PM »
That's good to know. We'll be doing the Chicago-Milwaukee trip very soon. Gotta stop and pick up a sixer!

That will be 6 different bottles though.

Cheese Castle has a nice selection, but like all tourist traps they charge for it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1159 on: July 17, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
That will be 6 different bottles though.

Cheese Castle has a nice selection, but like all tourist traps they charge for it.

Are you talking about that place just over the WI-IL state line? I think it's the Mars Cheese Castle? I thought that was just a tourist trap so I always gave it a miss. Little did I know it had great beer.

Death on call

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: July 17, 2013, 10:04:08 PM »
Are you talking about that place just over the WI-IL state line? I think it's the Mars Cheese Castle? I thought that was just a tourist trap so I always gave it a miss. Little did I know it had great beer.

Why wouldn't you just go to Woodman's? Better selection and the best prices. Plus, you get a 10% discount for every case you buy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: July 17, 2013, 10:49:52 PM »
Why wouldn't you just go to Woodman's? Better selection and the best prices. Plus, you get a 10% discount for every case you buy.

Sold!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1162 on: July 18, 2013, 09:18:18 AM »

I've been making a clone of this beer for years, and it gets better every time.

[Little known fact... one of the best things for nursing mothers is a good hefe.  Wife is now 8-1/2 months pregnant, and there are about a million cells of Wyeast 3068 growing on my stirplate right now.  Some women get jewelry or a vacation as a "push present"... my wife gets a keg of hefeweizen.]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1163 on: July 18, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »

[Little known fact... one of the best things for nursing mothers is a good hefe.  Wife is now 8-1/2 months pregnant, and there are about a million cells of Wyeast 3068 growing on my stirplate right now.  Some women get jewelry or a vacation as a "push present"... my wife gets a keg of hefeweizen.]

Best wishes, benny, for a smooth landing~!!

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: July 18, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »

The Woodman's in Kenosha is great for your standard craft 6-packs. Large selection, of year-rounds and some seasonals. Anything beyond that and they won't have it.

The Woodman's in Oak Creek will pick up the special runs and crafts though.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: July 18, 2013, 03:17:53 PM »
Best wishes, benny, for a smooth landing~!!

No worries... even if the beer doesn't turn out to be what I'm expecting, it's still my beer and I'll love it until the day I kick it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1166 on: July 18, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
No worries... even if the beer doesn't turn out to be what I'm expecting, it's still my beer and I'll love it until the day I kick it.

Uh, I was referring to your wife delivering

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1167 on: July 18, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
Uh, I was referring to your wife delivering

I would have expected my quip to go mach-mach over your average scooper, but a person such as yourself, having the artistic stranglehold of the English language as you do?  For shame, Keefe.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: July 18, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »

Oh my God ... I know you're having a baby and all, but is there room in your home? I am (mostly) house-trained and I rarely bite.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1169 on: July 18, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »
I would have expected my quip to go mach-mach over your average scooper, but a person such as yourself, having the artistic stranglehold of the English language as you do?  For shame, Keefe.

Roger that. Even Ichiro goes O for 5 occasionally!

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: July 24, 2013, 09:46:25 AM »
I shared a bottle with the MRS. of New Glarus Strawberry Rhubarb last night. From what I've read online this might temporarily replace the Raspberry Tart. This I believe was naturally fermented outdoors in oak vessels similiar to the recent Wild Sour ale.

Mostly strawberry smell and the initial taste is mostly strawberry but then you taste the tartness of the rhubarb. The Mrs. really loved it and I thought it was pretty good especially since I thought I would hate it. Perhaps just a little aging might smooth out the strawberry some? Although this was OK right now. Here's a flier showing how they must have sourced their rhubarb

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: July 24, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »
The Woodman's in Kenosha is great for your standard craft 6-packs. Large selection, of year-rounds and some seasonals. Anything beyond that and they won't have it.

The Woodman's in Oak Creek will pick up the special runs and crafts though.

Ended up getting my beer at someplace called Ray's in Milwaukee that my little brother knew about. Good thing, cuz Woodman's didn't have it. But Woodman's did have 12-packs of Hacker Pschorr's wheat beer at a great price, so that worked out nicely. Gonna have a few tonight at Millennium Park with some buddies. Can't wait!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1172 on: July 24, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
I know this may be a strange place to ask, but is there anyone around that has two spare tickets to the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison on 8/17?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1173 on: July 25, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »
I know this may be a strange place to ask, but is there anyone around that has two spare tickets to the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison on 8/17?

There are always tickets available in Madison. Brewers / Breweries almost always order more than they need and will unload them at face day of bc they don't know how many people will show up.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: July 25, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »
There are always tickets available in Madison. Brewers / Breweries almost always order more than they need and will unload them at face day of bc they don't know how many people will show up.

I got one last year for $10 over, which is nothing.  To be honest, I just want to make sure I get one.

Pretty sad that I am a member of the group that puts it on, and they don't have preferred tickets available to members.

My problem is that I can't imagine standing in line for 7+ hours to attend a beer tasting.