[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644611 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1125 on: June 25, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »
Wow. Japanese over German lagers.

This is all making me really curious about Italian lagers.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1126 on: June 25, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »
Not sure what you mean by this as Kirin is a key member of the Mitusbishi keiretsu, one of Japan's 5 core Zaibatsu. Kirin is huge, with international holdings in agro, pharma, food, restaurants, logistics, real estate, and beverages. If you live in New England your are drinking Kirin Coca Cola. Kirin brews Bud and Heineken in Japan under license. Why anyone would order Bud in Tokyo is beyond me.

You are correct, I am mistaken. ABI and Kirin have a JV agreement for ABI to brew Kirin beers in the US.
But I like to throw handfuls...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1127 on: June 25, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
You are correct, I am mistaken. ABI and Kirin have a JV agreement for ABI to brew Kirin beers in the US.

That’s ok, it’s the beer that counts. It's actually a cross licensing agreement as there is no shared equity but the market effect is the same. Kirin is a major shareholder in another of the world's great beers - San Miguel. San Miguel is really not all that great as a beer but anyone who has served in either the USAF or USN and has spent time at Subic Bay has probably consumed a goodly quantity of this Pale Pilsen nectar. San Miguel ensured a good time would be had by all and provided memories that are far richer than gold.

The Fightin’ Samurai of Misawa AB hung out at The Nipa Hut while the World Famous Iron Claws of NAS Atsugi called The Marmont their home away from home. San Miguel was the beverage of choice in both and through that magical elixir loves were found or lost, courage instilled, battles fought once more, wars waged and ultimately won, cancers cured, baluts consumed, games of smiles enacted, virgins converted, business ventures launched, and the world’s great problems were reduced to manageable proportions.

And while the harsh tropical daybreak and the oily perfume of JP 4 brought one crashing back to a reality that in reflection wasn’t all that bad it was the lubricant of San Miguel that greased the skids of youthful exuberance. Through the passage of time the warriors have come and gone in one long unbroken line of blue but the San Miguel remains. Always the San Miguel…   Ito Ang Beer!

The Nipa Hut, Angeles City, Outside the Main Gate of Clark AB on the MacArthur Highway, Pampanga Province. Probably one of the world's most storied Fighter Bars. The Hut outlasted both the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Empire.

Flight Suit Patch awarded for earning the coveted Nipa Hut 50 Mission Qual. Paid for in Blood it commanded immediate respect in the Fighter community.

Flight Suit Patch for the World's Greatest F16 Viper Squadron, the Fighting Samurai of the 14th FS, Misawa AB, Aomori Prefecture, Japan. The Samurai were known to frequent the Nipa Hut during Cope Thunder TDYs. They came, they conquered, they drank.

"Where do we get such Men?"

The Bridge Over Sh1t River: Outside the Main Gate of NAS Cubi Point, Gordon Avenue in Olongapo City, Zambales Province, Republic of the Philippines.

The Marmont Bar and Aviator Recreation Center stands like an Oasis in the Desert. A variety of thirsts were slaked within those obliging walls.  

The Mighty Iron Claws on the eve of Desert Storm. First in over Baghdad, they busted Saddam's cherry. Combat Legends were born that day.

Carnival in Olongapo City. San Miguel takes her rightful place as the Queen of Fat Tuesday.

The Cubi Officer's Club: THE finest Fighter Bar anywhere! Serving San Miguel to thirsty aviators since WWII.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:00:06 PM by keefe »

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1128 on: June 26, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »
but where are the cartoons?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:14:44 PM by Red Stripe »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1129 on: June 26, 2013, 12:39:10 PM »

Death on call

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: June 26, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
Meanwhile... Dogfish Head will be distributing to WI again by the end of the year. Good news.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1131 on: June 26, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
Meanwhile... Dogfish Head will be distributing to WI again by the end of the year. Good news.

Now that is a genuinely great brewer with some real legs. I compare it with our local Issaquah Rogue Brewhouse. Both make a superb Brown Ale.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1132 on: June 26, 2013, 05:49:54 PM »

I would put Rogue in the same elite level as Dogfish. I encourage you to sample these beers.

http://rogue.com/

Death on call

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: June 26, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »

Outside of 75 min and Festina Peche - meh. The whole constant hopping thing is a marketing gimmick. Also, Sam's use of spices and other filler ingredients is cute and such, but I don't think it makes outstanding beers.

Needless to say, Dogfish is better marketing company IMO than brewery.

Same with Rogue. The fact they even sell that Maple Bacon Beer is a travesty. That is beer is disgusting.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1134 on: June 26, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
Outside of 75 min and Festina Peche - meh. The whole constant hopping thing is a marketing gimmick. Also, Sam's use of spices and other filler ingredients is cute and such, but I don't think it makes outstanding beers.

Same with Rogue. The fact they even sell that Maple Bacon Beer is a travesty. That is beer is disgusting.

I have no particular expertise in beer other than a palate hatched in the misty alleys of Georgetown, nurtured in the smoky air of the Lanche and Lenny's then honed in the world's great dive bars. But I did come to recognize then celebrate the differences in regionals from having traveled every continent and time spent living in England, Japan, and Germany. Personally, I like the great micros here in the PNW because that is what is readily available.

Rogue has a fantastic brewhouse in Issaquah offering a prodigious selection of exceptional quality. Are they the best in the world? I couldn't say. But they offer a variety of styles and types of unsurpassed quality in a convivial atmosphere. I have brought German colleagues from T-Mobile/Deutsch Telekom to Rogue and they rate the various Alt and Kolsch styles as being worthy of the names.

For what it's worth, the PNW has been an epicenter of the microbrewery revolution. Elysian, Pike, Red Hook, Rogue, Diamond Knot, Fremont, Naked City, Pyramid, Hale's, Road Dog, Georgetown, Mac and Jack, Schooner, Twisp River, Deschutes, Full Sail, Kettle House, Boundary Bay, Sleeping Giant, Roots, Widmer, etc... all craft world-class gems that beguile, intrigue, and enchant. To suggest that any of these do not make superb beer is both petty and naive.

While I appreciate great beer it cannot compare in complexity, depth, richness, and vitality to wine or single malt. But thank god for great beer, regardless of origin.

Boundary Bay, Bellingham, WA

Death on call

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: June 26, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »
I have no particular expertise in beer other than a palate hatched in the misty alleys of Georgetown, nurtured in the smoky air of the Lanche and Lenny's then honed in the world's great dive bars. But I did come to recognize then celebrate the differences in regionals from having traveled every continent and time spent living in England, Japan, and Germany. Personally, I like the great micros here in the PNW because that is what is readily available.

Rogue has a fantastic brewhouse in Issaquah offering a prodigious selection of exceptional quality. Are they the best in the world? I couldn't say. But they offer a variety of styles and types of unsurpassed quality in a convivial atmosphere. I have brought German colleagues from T-Mobile/Deutsch Telekom to Rogue and they rate the various Alt and Kolsch styles as being worthy of the names.

For what it's worth, the PNW has been an epicenter of the microbrewery revolution. Elysian, Pike, Red Hook, Rogue, Diamond Knot, Fremont, Naked City, Pyramid, Hale's, Road Dog, Georgetown, Mac and Jack, Schooner, Twisp River, Deschutes, Full Sail, Kettle House, Boundary Bay, Sleeping Giant, Roots, Widmer, etc... all craft world-class gems that beguile, intrigue, and enchant. To suggest that any of these do not make superb beer is both petty and naive.

While I appreciate great beer it cannot compare in complexity, depth, richness, and vitality to wine or single malt. But thank god for great beer, regardless of origin.

Boundary Bay, Bellingham, WA

I am a big fan of Manny's Pale Ale and tried to bring back a growler in my suitcase during my last trip to Seattle. There are a lot of great breweries up in that area tho I think you need to include NoCal too for Russian River, Bear Republic, Etc.

I have also heard Rogue's taproom has a lot of great beers but I need to get to Portland and Oregon soon. But yes, thank god for the expansion of good beer. Problem is, there are a lot of new craft brewers opening up that are making bad beer which I hope doesn't hurt the overall movement.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: June 26, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
I gotta say, Grand Rapids is more of the epicenter of the micro movement than the PNW. Could just be my midwest influence, but it's hard to beat. Founders, Bells, Dark Horse, Grand Rapids, HopCat, New Holland and more all within a 20-30 minutes is incredible.

I also usually pass on Dogfish, it's a trap for rookies.

Rogue has good stuff, like Dead Guy, but anyone who likes the Maple Bacon should be sentenced to drinking Blatz for the rest of eternity.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: June 26, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
I gotta say, Grand Rapids is more of the epicenter of the micro movement than the PNW. Could just be my midwest influence, but it's hard to beat. Founders, Bells, Dark Horse, Grand Rapids, HopCat, New Holland and more all within a 20-30 minutes is incredible.

Rogue has good stuff, like Dead Guy, but anyone who likes the Maple Bacon should be sentenced to drinking Blatz for the rest of eternity.

Founders & Bells yes. Dark Horse has some great hits but some big misses. You forgot Brewery Vivant in Grand Rapids - doing some great stuff. New Holland, meh. If you're ever in Holland, MI skip New Holland and walk three doors down to Our Brewing Co. Great guys and great beer. Don't forget Green Bush as well as new craft Cider companies popping up.

I also think mass in Chicagoland is starting to pick up steam with original Goose Island and now Revolution, Three Floyds, Half Acre, Pipeworks, Two Brothers, etc.

Needless to say, there is a lot of good beer to drink.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1138 on: June 26, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
I am a big fan of Manny's Pale Ale and tried to bring back a growler in my suitcase during my last trip to Seattle. There are a lot of great breweries up in that area tho I think you need to include NoCal too for Russian River, Bear Republic, Etc.

I have also heard Rogue's taproom has a lot of great beers but I need to get to Portland and Oregon soon. But yes, thank god for the expansion of good beer. Problem is, there are a lot of new craft brewers opening up that are making bad beer which I hope doesn't hurt the overall movement.

NorCal has a distinguished roster of brewers offering up a celebrated menu. We often traveled to Napa and Sonoma and I always insisted on stops at both Russian River and Bear Republic. Russian’s Damnation and both Pliny IPA’s are more than noteworthy while Bear’s Stouts are stellar. Healdsburg was one of my bride’s favorite little California wine country towns so I was fortunate to squeeze in an hour or two at the Republic while she hit the local galleries.

Other outstanding NorCal micros beyond Anchor and Sierra I would recommend include Lost Coast in Eureka (Downtown Brown,) Mad River in Blue Lake (Steelhead Extra Pale,) and Moylan’s in Novato (Imperial Stout.)   

Manny’s is a nicely hopped pale ale with a citrus nose and bittersweet tongue. It finishes nicely and pairs well with grilled seafood. Personally, my preference in Seattle is Mac and Jack’s African Amber. It is ubiquitous here and the go-to drink of many. It is unfiltered, has minimal bitterness, nicely spiced with floral and citrus top notes, and a creaminess reminiscent of great English ales.

Oregon boasts Rogue, Full Sail, Widmer, and Deschutes. If you have never been to Bend it is a great town delivering a full meal deal 4 Season outdoor experience. When we skied Mt Bachelor we stayed in Bend and always visited Deschutes. An incredible brewery and the food was actually rather good. If in Portland I recommend Rogue’s distillery in the Pearl. They have tours but more compelling are the 40 some taps.

Let me know if you come through Seattle. I’ll take you out to Rogue’s Issaquah Brewhouse. I am a citizen of Rogue Nation!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1139 on: June 26, 2013, 10:38:59 PM »

I think one of the big reasons for Micro growth in the PNW is that we grow some of the best hops in the world. A neighbor is a German hops buyer for brewers back in the Fatherland. According to him the best hops are from Hallertau but the Yakima, Willamette, and Canyon hopyards in the PNW are almost the equal.

When I was in Ann Arbor the only beer I recall was Strohs. Yea. Strohs. 

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: June 27, 2013, 08:41:15 AM »

I get the stance that Sam (and more Mariah) knew about marketing early on than many breweries ever will but I do think they have enough good beers in a large (perhaps too large) portfolio to be considered one of the more influential brewers in the country. Palo, Burton, Shelter are pretty tasty mainstays. I think Immort, Fort, and Urkontinent are nice occasional brews. The Sierra Nevada collabs have been good, especially Life & Limb version.

I don't drink Rogue.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: June 27, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
I get the stance that Sam (and more Mariah) knew about marketing early on than many breweries ever will but I do think they have enough good beers in a large (perhaps too large) portfolio to be considered one of the more influential brewers in the country. Palo, Burton, Shelter are pretty tasty mainstays. I think Immort, Fort, and Urkontinent are nice occasional brews. The Sierra Nevada collabs have been good, especially Life & Limb version.

Their beers have almost become redundant, especially the hoppy ones. I think calling them "a trap for rookies" is unfair, though. Palo Santo, Festina, and Midas Touch are all very solid.

I'm all about breweries pushing limits and trying new things, even if they come across as gimmicky. I'll look past that if they come up with some good stuff.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: June 27, 2013, 11:18:36 AM »
that is good news, only wish Stone would do the same

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: June 27, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »

Dark Horse is solid - has some great IPAs

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: June 27, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
Founders & Bells yes. Dark Horse has some great hits but some big misses. You forgot Brewery Vivant in Grand Rapids - doing some great stuff. New Holland, meh. If you're ever in Holland, MI skip New Holland and walk three doors down to Our Brewing Co. Great guys and great beer. Don't forget Green Bush as well as new craft Cider companies popping up.

I also think mass in Chicagoland is starting to pick up steam with original Goose Island and now Revolution, Three Floyds, Half Acre, Pipeworks, Two Brothers, etc.

Needless to say, there is a lot of good beer to drink.

..living in Grand Rapids....I am not a fan of Brewery Vivant.   Love their location, love their atmosphere, not so much their beer.    Founders, of course.   Personal favorite right now is Harmony brewing.   They are more of a brewpub.   Their dining room is about the size of a McCormick triple, but they combine their own beer (decent) with wood-fired pizzas (decadent).   Helluva combo.    Also, the Mitten.   Another brewpub with chairs from the old Tiger stadium and a baseball motif.   If you don't want to be tied down to a particular brewery, I recommend a trip to Graydon's Crossing, which has one of the most incredible beer menu's around  ( http://graydonscrossing.com/drink/   )

And if anybody is making the trip to GR, PM me and we will toast MU hoops and good beer.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1145 on: June 28, 2013, 04:54:10 AM »

I know Rogue does some funky stuff. But you need to be from the PNW to understand Maple Bacon. There is a genuine story to Maple Bacon which was part of a promotion Rogue did with Voodoo Donuts in Portland. It was entirely tongue in cheek and the reactions expressed here to the very notion of a Maple Bacon Beer is precisely the response the creators of brew and pastry hoped to elicit from outlanders. Celebrating the off-beat is an art form here.

Portlandians have a saying: "Keep Portland Weird." They take this challenge very seriously as a lifestyle marker. Maple Bacon donuts and beer is part of that tradition.

If you haven't spent time in the PNW you probably won't get it. The people are independent to a fault and cherish individualism to an extreme. Gifted with incredible natural beauty Alaska, BC, Washington, Oregon, and NorCal offers an enviable lifestyle that is unique and defies convention. Vancouver is a cultural sister of Portland much more than it is to Toronto and certainly Calgary.

So, yes, Rogue and Voodoo make maple bacon products that are embraced locally and questioned if not reviled on the other side of the Cascades. And the locals wouldn't have it any other way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/us/24portlandia.html?_r=0

http://www.ifc.com/shows/portlandia

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:57:24 AM by keefe »

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: June 28, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
Their beers have almost become redundant, especially the hoppy ones. I think calling them "a trap for rookies" is unfair, though. Palo Santo, Festina, and Midas Touch are all very solid.

I'm all about breweries pushing limits and trying new things, even if they come across as gimmicky. I'll look past that if they come up with some good stuff.

Redundant is an interesting word. A lot of their releases these last two to three years have been in the same vain and have felt like drinking the same beer just with a different color on the label. And that should put people off.

Ironically, for a brewery that can be called out for style over substance, their brewpub always has a few interesting homebrew selections from their workforce. You can still see some legitimate experimentation.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: July 13, 2013, 08:03:59 AM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1149 on: July 13, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »
I will be going today in Chicago. Always a fun time.

Do give us an update. These are fun events.

Death on call