[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644895 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1100 on: June 05, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »
Thanks for all of the feedback on Orval guys. I am definitely going to try to get there now. It sounds like an amazing place.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1101 on: June 05, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback on Orval guys. I am definitely going to try to get there now. It sounds like an amazing place.

We often went there but that was 25 years ago. It is a real gem and the beer is superb. You won't go wrong.

Death on call

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: June 06, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »
I had a few bottles of the New Glarus 20th Anniversary Belgian Dubbel this weekend - highly recommend it if you can find it while it lasts, it is apparently in very limited quantities of 1/2 liter bottles. Otto's and Discount each have a 2 bottle limit.

Had a bottle last night... really nice beer. Would be a nice candidate to age as well.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1103 on: June 06, 2013, 11:03:15 AM »
Had a bottle last night... really nice beer. Would be a nice candidate to age as well.

I bought 2 cases (12 bottles/case) to cellar for a bit, nice to get a 'case' price no less instead of that darn 2 bottle limit at some places

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1104 on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:05 AM »
2 great summer beers I had last weekend with some friends tho not really new things along with a new thing coming out our brewery:

1) New Glarrus Berliner Weiss - hot damn this is a great drinking beer and is so sessionable at 3.5%. Light tartness comes through from the souring brew process but that is ballanced so perfectly with the addition of Riesling grapes. Thank god I am coming back up to Wisconsin this weekend so I can try and find a few cases of it.

2) Steigl Grapefruit Raddler (now in 16oz Tallboys) - Hell to the motherf*cking yes! Always a summer favorite of mine, but this traditional combination of Lager beer and grapefruit soda is just kickass! Beyond refreshing but you need to watch out as too many can make your stomach a little wonky.

3) Goose Island The Illinois IIPA (draft only) - our head brewer Jared knocked it out of the park with this one. It's a very refreshing and drinkable IIPA coming in around 8.5% ABV. Not overly sweet or a tongue scraper like so many IIPA, you can actually enjoy a few glasses of this but it is still right in style spec. It's draft only so I would recommend you watch your favorite watering holes for this one. It's good.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #1105 on: June 19, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »
Worst beer I ever had, sad to say, was "Milwaukee's Best". Beer so bad it made me quit drinking.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: June 19, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »
Worst beer I ever had, sad to say, was "Milwaukee's Best". Beer so bad it made me quit drinking.

LOL, you actually quit drinking entirely? It is not a good beer but to hold that against every other beer? sorry but I'm almost crying I laughed so hard.

I would never drink MB although my wife loves their MBL (bless her heart, saves me a ton of $$$).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: June 19, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »
2 great summer beers I had last weekend with some friends tho not really new things along with a new thing coming out our brewery:

1) New Glarrus Berliner Weiss - hot damn this is a great drinking beer and is so sessionable at 3.5%. Light tartness comes through from the souring brew process but that is ballanced so perfectly with the addition of Riesling grapes. Thank god I am coming back up to Wisconsin this weekend so I can try and find a few cases of it.

2) Steigl Grapefruit Raddler (now in 16oz Tallboys) - Hell to the motherf*cking yes! Always a summer favorite of mine, but this traditional combination of Lager beer and grapefruit soda is just kickass! Beyond refreshing but you need to watch out as too many can make your stomach a little wonky.

3) Goose Island The Illinois IIPA (draft only) - our head brewer Jared knocked it out of the park with this one. It's a very refreshing and drinkable IIPA coming in around 8.5% ABV. Not overly sweet or a tongue scraper like so many IIPA, you can actually enjoy a few glasses of this but it is still right in style spec. It's draft only so I would recommend you watch your favorite watering holes for this one. It's good.

First two sound like fruit juice. No thanks. Third one sounds awesome. Do you work for Goose Island?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: June 19, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »

First two sound like fruit juice. No thanks. Third one sounds awesome. Do you work for Goose Island?

He does IIRC

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »

First one is definately not Fruit Juice. It's actually a sour, tart beer - and not like the other New Glarus ones such as Belgian Red. The grapes ad a subtle sweetness to the beer overall tartness that balances into something refreshing. But a Berliner Weiss is a traditional style where the mash is allowed to come to room temperature and actually naturally sour a bit. Takes about 24-48 hours for that happen the brewing process is completed. 

The second one is a bit sweet but it's very refreshing and very traditional. Sort of speaks to my German soul. If you ever go to Oktoberfest in Munich, the majority of people will drink Raddlers during the day and Oktoberfest beers at night so they can drink longer due to the low ABV of Raddlers.

Last question, yes I do work for Goose Island. Also, if you see anu Sofie Paradisi in your markets, go drink it. I know Mike Roman had some at Roman's but it may be gone. Beer is the sheeet.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1110 on: June 20, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
First one is definately not Fruit Juice. It's actually a sour, tart beer - and not like the other New Glarus ones such as Belgian Red. The grapes ad a subtle sweetness to the beer overall tartness that balances into something refreshing. But a Berliner Weiss is a traditional style where the mash is allowed to come to room temperature and actually naturally sour a bit. Takes about 24-48 hours for that happen the brewing process is completed.  

The second one is a bit sweet but it's very refreshing and very traditional. Sort of speaks to my German soul. If you ever go to Oktoberfest in Munich, the majority of people will drink Raddlers during the day and Oktoberfest beers at night so they can drink longer due to the low ABV of Raddlers.

Last question, yes I do work for Goose Island. Also, if you see anu Sofie Paradisi in your markets, go drink it. I know Mike Roman had some at Roman's but it may be gone. Beer is the sheeet.

Yeah, I've had Raddlers, had one at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich actually. Not my bag, but I get the appeal, especially in summer. I'll give the Berliner Weiss a shot.

Is the Sofie Paradisi different than the regular Sofie? That's my gf's favorite Goose Island beer. I prefer the Pere Jacques. Also love the Green Line and IPA. Did you have something to do with the Pere Jacques naming, Mr. Marquette alum? What do you do at the Goose? I live very near the Clybourn location. Has the A-B buyout changed things a bit?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:36:18 PM by Victor McCormick »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1111 on: June 20, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »
Are they distributing Stiegl in WI yet? I'm intrigued.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1112 on: June 21, 2013, 08:22:01 AM »
Yeah, I've had Raddlers, had one at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich actually. Not my bag, but I get the appeal, especially in summer. I'll give the Berliner Weiss a shot.

Is the Sofie Paradisi different than the regular Sofie? That's my gf's favorite Goose Island beer. I prefer the Pere Jacques. Also love the Green Line and IPA. Did you have something to do with the Pere Jacques naming, Mr. Marquette alum? What do you do at the Goose? I live very near the Clybourn location. Has the A-B buyout changed things a bit?

Sofie Paradisi uses grapefruit instead of oranges in the barrel aging to give it a different flavor and mouth feel. It's dynamite. I think Clybourn has it on draft right now. Pere Jacques was before my time but it actually has a great naming story. Pere Jacques was actually the Abbott of the Orval Monastery in Belgium and gave our old Brew Master Greg Hall a tour once.

Not much has really changed. We now have the ability to utilize two of the AB breweries to brew some of our beers which has freed up a ton of capacity here in Chicago to make a lot more of the specialty beers like Bourbon County Brand Stout, Matilda, Sofie, Juliet, Madam Rose, etc. We also have the ability to do more kickass things like become the sponsor of the Pitchfork Music Festival again after a two year absence. Goose was the original sponsor so it's sort of like bringing it home. Also, now you can get a Goose IPA or Honkers at Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium and stadium/arena in Philly, LA Forum, etc.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: June 21, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
Also, if you see anu Sofie Paradisi in your markets, go drink it. I know Mike Roman had some at Roman's but it may be gone. Beer is the sheeet.

lools like he still has it on tap (from his website)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: June 21, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »
I haven't had a Sapporo in years, maybe even decades, but their commercial is pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=K-Rs6YEZAt8

Ludum habemus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1115 on: June 21, 2013, 06:08:53 PM »
I haven't had a Sapporo in years, maybe even decades, but their commercial is pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=K-Rs6YEZAt8

I have lived in Japan more than 20 years. The Japanese lagers are the finest in the world. Sapporo is an outstanding draft. As with many things the Japanese took a western concept and perfected it.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: June 24, 2013, 09:49:40 AM »
Sapporo is good. I prefer Kirin Ichiban

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: June 24, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
I have lived in Japan more than 20 years. The Japanese lagers are the finest in the world. Sapporo is an outstanding draft. As with many things the Japanese took a western concept and perfected it.

Wow. Japanese over German lagers.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: June 24, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »
Tsingtao is a pretty solid Chinese lager

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1119 on: June 25, 2013, 04:00:08 AM »
Tsingtao is a pretty solid Chinese lager

Qingtao was the HQ of the German concession. The brewery was founded by German brewmeisters during the colonial period and made in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot.  Tsingtao is an outstanding lager.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1120 on: June 25, 2013, 04:01:36 AM »
Sapporo is good. I prefer Kirin Ichiban

Kirin, Asahi, and Sapporo are all excellent. The Sapporo sold in N America is brewed by Molson. It ain't the same.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: June 25, 2013, 07:37:24 AM »
Qingtao was the HQ of the German concession. The brewery was founded by German brewmeisters during the colonial period and made in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot.  Tsingtao is an outstanding lager.

I had to opportunity to visit the city of Qingdao.   I unfortunately did not have the opportunity to visit the Old Town or see the original Tsingtao brewery.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: June 25, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
Kirin, Asahi, and Sapporo are all excellent. The Sapporo sold in N America is brewed by Molson. It ain't the same.

Kirin is owned by ABI.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1123 on: June 25, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
Kirin is owned by ABI.

Not sure what you mean by this as Kirin is a key member of the Mitusbishi keiretsu, one of Japan's 5 core Zaibatsu. Kirin is huge, with international holdings in agro, pharma, food, restaurants, logistics, real estate, and beverages. If you live in New England your are drinking Kirin Coca Cola. Kirin brews Bud and Heineken in Japan under license. Why anyone would order Bud in Tokyo is beyond me.

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: June 25, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
Why anyone would order Bud in Tokyo anywhere is beyond me.

Fixed it for you.
Ludum habemus.

feedback