[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644691 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1050 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
Moon Man is a go-to for me.  Every time I'm up for an MU game, stopping at Woodman's in Kenosha and picking up a case of Moon Man is a must.

I really wish they were still selling Engima right now too.

Do yourself a favor and get off at Drexel Avenue and go east two miles to the Oak Creek Woodman's.

Much better selection and not a pain in the ass.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #1051 on: February 10, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
It's decent.

It's no New Glarus Blacktop. That is a tasty IBA.

Have Fixed Gear in my new kegerator right now. Looking for another tall 1/4 barrel to accompany it.

PTM: Thanks to you and others for the Black Top recommendation. Tried it last night (insincere apology to my brother in law for drinking his last bottle).  Wow.  Just outstanding.   

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: February 15, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
Picked up a bottle of Dreadnaught last week. Cracked it open after a half day at work today, and wow.

I've been up and down on 3Floyds, but this thing lives up to it's reputation.

Not light on the bitter, but not overwhelming. It's a fruity hop explosion with I'm tasting peach, mango, orange, lemon.

A bit pricey, but well-worth it for an occasion.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #1053 on: February 26, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »
Picked up a bottle of Dreadnaught last week. Cracked it open after a half day at work today, and wow.

I've been up and down on 3Floyds, but this thing lives up to it's reputation.

Not light on the bitter, but not overwhelming. It's a fruity hop explosion with I'm tasting peach, mango, orange, lemon.

A bit pricey, but well-worth it for an occasion.

I had Dreadnaught both bottled and on tap and didn't think it quite held up to some of 3 Floyd's other beers. I was a much bigger fan of the Rye da Tiger as I thought that Dreadnaught committed the one sin (in my mind) of IIPA - it was too sweet. I know that a lot of malt sweetness is somewhat to style in IIPA, but I thought Dreadnaught overdid it.

Then again, that's just like my opinion, man.

What other beers from FFF have you found good/lacking?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: February 26, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
I had Dreadnaught both bottled and on tap and didn't think it quite held up to some of 3 Floyd's other beers. I was a much bigger fan of the Rye da Tiger as I thought that Dreadnaught committed the one sin (in my mind) of IIPA - it was too sweet. I know that a lot of malt sweetness is somewhat to style in IIPA, but I thought Dreadnaught overdid it.

I think the Cheese Castle has a bottle of Rye da Tiger on their shelf, I was going to get it but they called my number for lunch.

Alpha King - Really, really good.
Robert the Bruce - Meh
Gumballhead - Overrated? I didn't think it was bad, but I think I was expecting more than I got.
Zombie Dust - Awesome

I've had a few bombers of others, having trouble recalling at this point.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
I think the Cheese Castle has a bottle of Rye da Tiger on their shelf, I was going to get it but they called my number for lunch.

Robert the Bruce - Meh
Gumballhead - Overrated? I didn't think it was bad, but I think I was expecting more than I got.
Zombie Dust - Awesome

Apocalypse Cow is awesome (DIPA with Lactose)
Arctic Panzer... Pretty good IPA.. but pretty boozy.
Rabid Rabbit... meh, but I don't really care for farmhouse ales.
Darklord... GLORIOUS
Moloko... I'm partial to milk stouts, but this one is damn good... really chewy

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1056 on: February 26, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »
Apocalypse Cow is awesome (DIPA with Lactose)
Arctic Panzer... Pretty good IPA.. but pretty boozy.
Rabid Rabbit... meh, but I don't really care for farmhouse ales.
Darklord... GLORIOUS
Moloko... I'm partial to milk stouts, but this one is damn good... really chewy

Darklord sucks!!!! Most overrated beer in the world. Tastes like hot soy sauce. I am sorry but that beer is just hype and hot garbage. I have bottles I will trade for anything but no one will take them.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: February 27, 2013, 06:53:17 AM »
Darklord sucks!!!! Most overrated beer in the world. Tastes like hot soy sauce. I am sorry but that beer is just hype and hot garbage. I have bottles I will trade for anything but no one will take them.

I will trade you.  Anything up here that you are interested in?  (Madison area)

And to be fair, I had Darklord aged in Cognac barrels.  I should have mentioned that above... and it was awesome.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #1058 on: February 27, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »

Robert the Bruce - Meh
Zombie Dust - Awesome

Agree mostly, though I love Robert the Bruce. Do you not like Scotch Ale or just that particular Scotch Ale?

I also have the Behemoth barley wine aging right now, I'm hoping that is as good as I think it might be.

Side note: I was lucky to get some tickets to Midwinter Brewfest at the Milwaukee Ale House two weekends ago. Leine's was there pouring some of their experimental beers; they had a ghost chili imperial porter that was GREAT. I've had a few chili beers before, and while I would never get a six pack of any of them, this one really had a lot of heat while still tasting like Porter.

Also got to try some 3 Sheeps (new brewery in Sheboygan) and reccomend people give them a look. Their black wheat Ale (Baaaaad Boy) is a cross-over beer like Spotted Cow but with some good roasted malt flavor. Not an award-winner by any means, but it's good to see a new brewery making a beer that might garner them some popularity.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1059 on: February 27, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »

And to be fair, I had Darklord aged in Cognac barrels.  I should have mentioned that above... and it was awesome.

I have had Vanilla Bean (which is pretty good), Brandy, Cognac and Pappy Van Winkle which were average at best. If you truly like Darklord you have to try other breweries which are doing a much better job.
But I like to throw handfuls...

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #1060 on: February 27, 2013, 11:55:39 AM »

Have you had any of Karben 4's beer (I think that's their name). New to Madison - moved into the old Ale Asylum facility. I work with a friend of the owners and want to know how soon I should try to make it from MKE to Madison to check them out.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: February 27, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »
Have you had any of Karben 4's beer (I think that's their name). New to Madison - moved into the old Ale Asylum facility. I work with a friend of the owners and want to know how soon I should try to make it from MKE to Madison to check them out.

Yes, quite delicious.  I tried each of their beers one night.  Worth the trip, and while you are here you can stop buy House of Brews... very small tasting room, but it is something else to try while you are in town.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: February 27, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »

I'd like to try it, if you want something the Cheese Castle has a decent eceletic selection.

Agree mostly, though I love Robert the Bruce. Do you not like Scotch Ale or just that particular Scotch Ale?

I'm not a huge fan of Scots mostly, but I can tolerate them. Just wasn't blown away. Seemed overcarbonated and didn't appreciate that toffee taste.

Also got to try some 3 Sheeps (new brewery in Sheboygan) and reccomend people give them a look. Their black wheat Ale (Baaaaad Boy) is a cross-over beer like Spotted Cow but with some good roasted malt flavor. Not an award-winner by any means, but it's good to see a new brewery making a beer that might garner them some popularity.

I've heard hype around 3 Sheeps from some coworkers in that area. Don't they brew some liquor out of there as well? Do they have a Waterslide or Rollercoast beer? That's what the guys were talking about. Need to keep an eye out for them.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #1063 on: February 27, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »

I've heard hype around 3 Sheeps from some coworkers in that area. Don't they brew some liquor out of there as well? Do they have a Waterslide or Rollercoast beer? That's what the guys were talking about. Need to keep an eye out for them.

Waterslide is their IPA. Not spectacular but a really solid offering for a new brewery.

If you're MKE based, there is a tasting of their beers at the Puddler's Hall beer club tonight (Bay View). $10 (I think) to try pretty much the whole line-up (and $1 off all beers the rest of the night + free popcorn and ping pong).

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #1064 on: February 27, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »

3Floyd favorites: Rye'da Tiger (or previously Rye'da Lightning), Zombie Dust, Alpha King, Dreadnaught.
Also very good: Arctic Panzer Wolf, Moloko, Alpha Klaus (seasonal), any other new hoppy creation they have on tap.
Not a big fan of: Robert the Bruce, Blackheart, Jinxproof, Gumballhead.  These are good beers, but I think there are better choices for the styles.
I'm in the camp of liking Darklord, but maybe not to up to the hype.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:49 AM »
I like Dreadnaught and must confess I like Alpha King from time to time. Zombie dust not so much in fact did a tasting of that and Hopslam about a week ago at Hooligans and without a doubt I prefe Hopslam. Never had the chance to try Darklord.

I like scottish ales but Robert the Bruce never did it for me, hell, I like Rock Bottom's Naughty Scot better. Try New Glarus Winter Warmer for a scottish ale, I'm liking that one too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:07:31 AM by Red Stripe »

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #1066 on: February 28, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
I like Dreadnaught and must confess I like Alpha King from time to time. Zombie dust not so much in fact did a tasting of that and Hopslam about a week ago at Hooligans and without a doubt I prefe Hopslam. Never had the chance to try Darklord.

I like scottish ales but Robert the Bruce never did it for me, hell, I like Rock Bottom's Naughty Scot better. Try New Glarus Winter Warmer for a scottish ale, I'm liking that one too.

While I love Hopslam, that wasn't the most fair fight since they're different styles of beer - Zombie Dust being an APA while Hopslam is a DIPA.  Both are fantastic in their own different ways.

I recently had Hopslam and Pliny the Elder back to back and it was nearly impossible to taste the difference between the two since Hopslam really assaults your tastebuds.

And now it's time to grab a Hopslam from my fridge.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:38:19 PM by eaglewarrior08 »

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #1067 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »
We've always got Gumballhead in the fridge. That and NG Moon Man are my favorite sessions.

I think Dreadnaught is a fantastic beer and Alpha Klaus could be my favorite winter beer-cannot get enough of it.

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Risgoop from a buddy who was traveling through. That was truly outstanding and I immediately wished I had another bottle.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: March 05, 2013, 05:04:17 PM »

Dropped into Woodman's yesterday to pick up some essentials for the snow, so I got 6-pack of 3 Sheeps Really Cool Waterslides.

It's surprisingly good.

Like Anti-Hero it is an easy drinking IPA. Not a mouth torcher at all, but still gives nice flavors. Checks in at a light 6.2% for an IPA. Nice caramel flavors to start with a mid-range citrus mouthwash. Follows up with a bold pine bitter aftertaste.

I give it a 3.5/5. Will buy again, especially when mixing beers.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #1069 on: March 06, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »
Dropped into Woodman's yesterday to pick up some essentials for the snow, so I got 6-pack of 3 Sheeps Really Cool Waterslides.

It's surprisingly good.

Like Anti-Hero it is an easy drinking IPA. Not a mouth torcher at all, but still gives nice flavors. Checks in at a light 6.2% for an IPA. Nice caramel flavors to start with a mid-range citrus mouthwash. Follows up with a bold pine bitter aftertaste.

I give it a 3.5/5. Will buy again, especially when mixing beers.

This. I appreciated that it had a bit more bitter dryness to it then most IPAs in that ABV/price range. I feel like the trend in big IIPAs has led to maltier, sweeter IPAs across the board. I might have to start drinking more ESB to get more bitterness and less hop flavor on top of sweet malt.

AK Brewing Black IPA is still in stores. Still the only BIPA that takes down Black Top in my book.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: March 08, 2013, 07:12:25 PM »
First Curmudgeon in a long time.  Forgot how delicious.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: March 11, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »
I bought a 4 pack of Central Waters bourbon barrel barleywine only to find out the next day 1 bottle was 99% empty. The others tasted great IMO.  ;D

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #1072 on: March 21, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »
I am enjoying the best beer that I have ever had.  In Beaufort, SC, drinking a Seeing Double IPA out of Foothills Brewery in Ashville, NC.  Might have somehting to do with the MU win.  Just might. I think the "Seeing Double" comes from watching Vander Blue close out again.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: March 22, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »
Has anyone tried MKE's Hop Happy? 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: March 22, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »
Has anyone tried MKE's Hop Happy? 

At the brewery several times.  Nothing crazy.  All of their beer is good, but not great.