[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647663 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1025 on: January 11, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »
That would be against the law.

Because of distributor rules?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1026 on: January 11, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »
Because of distributor rules?

Lots of three tier rules. Also, brewers in WI can only do 2 of 3 things. 1) Make Beer 2) Sell beer to wholesalers 3) Sell draft beer to consumers (ie brewpubs). The licencing is all wonky. Since they are a production brewery they cannot sell beer directly to consumers - it must to go to a retailer (as I think they may still be small enough to self distribute but I do not know) or the most likely it must go to a wholesaler for sale.

These are all the laws that were put in place after prohibition and it is what we call the three tier system. Though WI mucks it up by not allowing brewpubs to have production licences under the same umbrella. That is why MKE Brewing Co. broke away from the Milwaukee Ale House group. They had to in order to get proper licencing.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: January 11, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »
Lots of three tier rules. Also, brewers in WI can only do 2 of 3 things. 1) Make Beer 2) Sell beer to wholesalers 3) Sell draft beer to consumers (ie brewpubs). The licencing is all wonky. Since they are a production brewery they cannot sell beer directly to consumers - it must to go to a retailer (as I think they may still be small enough to self distribute but I do not know) or the most likely it must go to a wholesaler for sale.

These are all the laws that were put in place after prohibition and it is what we call the three tier system. Though WI mucks it up by not allowing brewpubs to have production licences under the same umbrella. That is why MKE Brewing Co. broke away from the Milwaukee Ale House group. They had to in order to get proper licencing.

So is there a size limit?  Obviously, a lot of brewpubs around here sell growlers of beer that you can take home... Is the law grey in that area?  Or is it fine because its treated as a draft serving?  What if the brewery were to try to subvert the law by dispensing a keg's worth?  These laws are all so strange.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: January 11, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »

In addition to Hards questions, how does Lakefront sell kegs after their tours? I'm assuming that WI laws are different from the IL laws as well then?

Also, I revisited MKE Brewing since their rebranding by getting a six-pack sampler at Woodman's and wow. I completely poured one beer, and was not pleased by the others except for Polish Moon.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: January 11, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
Outside of all this there is a new brewpub that opened in Madison just before the new year... I want to go try it out badly.  It is located in the old Ale Asylum building... Karben4

http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Blogs/The-Chow-Down/January-2013/New-Brew-at-Karben4/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: January 12, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
Currently enjoying a bomber of Lakefront IBA... nothing special, but it is still enjoyable.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: January 12, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »
Currently enjoying a bomber of Lakefront IBA... nothing special, but it is still enjoyable.

It's decent.

It's no New Glarus Blacktop. That is a tasty IBA.

Have Fixed Gear in my new kegerator right now. Looking for another tall 1/4 barrel to accompany it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: January 12, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
It's decent.

It's no New Glarus Blacktop. That is a tasty IBA.

Have Fixed Gear in my new kegerator right now. Looking for another tall 1/4 barrel to accompany it.

oooo kegerator... I can't wait to move and have room for one.

Blacktop is great though, you're right.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: January 12, 2013, 06:20:49 PM »
oooo kegerator... I can't wait to move and have room for one.

Blacktop is great though, you're right.

My recommendation is to build your own, if you're looking for some direction let me know. I just finished mine and I love it.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #1034 on: January 14, 2013, 12:56:47 PM »
Hard to pass up Ale Asylum Hopalicious on tap....

Had my first one at the MU v. G'Town game.  Would have been reason enough to go.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »
Probably real late, but I got New Glarus Blacktop and it was fantastic.

I've always shied away from New Glarus because I always thought Spotted Cow was really overhyped. That IBA was very, very good.

Currently enjoying Fixed Gear and Anti-Hero IPA in my kegerator.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »

I've always shied away from New Glarus because I always thought Spotted Cow was really overhyped. That IBA was very, very good.

NG is great... except for the every day stuff.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: January 23, 2013, 07:00:31 PM »
NG is great... except for the every day stuff.

Agree and disagree. I am not a fan of Spotted Cow or Fat Squirrel, but Moon Man is OUTSTANDING. As is their Thumbprint Series - almost all amazing. However, things like Belgian Red, Serendipity, Etc. are WAY WAY to sweet. Taste almost like cough syrup. Could really use souring bacteria to bring down the overpowering flavor.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: January 23, 2013, 07:48:02 PM »
Agree and disagree. I am not a fan of Spotted Cow or Fat Squirrel, but Moon Man is OUTSTANDING. As is their Thumbprint Series - almost all amazing. However, things like Belgian Red, Serendipity, Etc. are WAY WAY to sweet. Taste almost like cough syrup. Could really use souring bacteria to bring down the overpowering flavor.

Chili,

Since I respect your opinion, what's you top 5 non-seasonal, non-speciality brews?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: January 24, 2013, 06:42:39 AM »

I'll agree that Moon Man is great.  I actually really like Dancing man wheat as well... and I'm not a big wheat fan.  I have a bottle of Serendipity in the fridge I plan to drink tomorrow... Haven't had any yet.  The thumbprint stuff is what I was referring to as really good (they can keep the apple pie or whatever).  My wife is a huge fan of sour beer and of course is madly in love with Enigma.

As for the Red and Lambics etc... They are what they are.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #1040 on: January 24, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »

+1

One of my favorites

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: January 24, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
Chili,

Since I respect your opinion, what's you top 5 non-seasonal, non-speciality brews?

Firestone Walker DBA - Easily my favorite session beer and so happy it's now in full time distribution in Chicago
Tripel Karmeliet - Love this beer, though it will kick you square in the balls if you have to many
Maui CoCoNuT Porter - I really wish this was available in the Midwest, but I could have a ton of these a lot. If you're on the WC, bring some home in your suitcase.
Alchemist Heady Topper - Fantastic DIPA
Revolution Anti Hero - Great IPA which doesn't kill you.

Corporate Shill --- but I love these beers:
Goose Island Sofie - I could drink these all day. It just tastes that good. 
Goose Island IPA - It's perfectly balanced and you can have a few without your tongue getting destroyed.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #1042 on: January 24, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »

Treated myself to a "refresher" of Black Top on Tuesday - hadn't had it in at least two years and was again impressed with how well balanced it is.

If you're in to the Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale style I highly rec. the Alaskan Brewing Company Black IPA. It's their spring seasonal and is still my favorite beer in the category (maybe tied with Firestone's Wookey Jack)

Chili: I'm assuming you work for GI based on what I've read here? Did I hear correctly that BCBS is going year-round?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: January 24, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »
Treated myself to a "refresher" of Black Top on Tuesday - hadn't had it in at least two years and was again impressed with how well balanced it is.

If you're in to the Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale style I highly rec. the Alaskan Brewing Company Black IPA. It's their spring seasonal and is still my favorite beer in the category (maybe tied with Firestone's Wookey Jack)

Chili: I'm assuming you work for GI based on what I've read here? Did I hear correctly that BCBS is going year-round?

I do. And that would be impossible right now. We require that BCBS spend at least 1 hot cycle and 1 cold cycle (seasons) in the barrels which is typically takes 9-11 months. We are almost at capacity right now in our bourbon warehouse so I don't think we could. Now in the future would we have say a spring and fall release of BCBS - possibly. But right now it's not really in the cards, as much as I know.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: January 24, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »
I don't think I've ever picked up GI IPA, not sure why. Sofie is great and I often find myself drinking Green Line often when in the city, especially concerts at the Congress.

Used to enjoy 312 at Hagerty's but drank myself off it. Created a real good chili recipe using 312.

I haven't had a Night stalker in years, loved that at the time.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #1045 on: January 25, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
Hey Chili,

Is GI ever going to bottle the Imperial IPA, or will that always be tap only?

Maybe it is bottled and I just haven't seen any in the MKE area.

I've had plenty of taps/growlers-great beer.

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #1046 on: January 25, 2013, 12:35:29 PM »
Firestone Walker offerings just showed up in my local liquor store, I've only had the Wookey Jack so far, but it is very nice, I will be going back for more.  I have heard Two Brothers Imperial Stout is on tap nearby so I'm hoping to try that over the weekend, has anyone had that one?

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #1047 on: January 25, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
I do. And that would be impossible right now. We require that BCBS spend at least 1 hot cycle and 1 cold cycle (seasons) in the barrels which is typically takes 9-11 months. We are almost at capacity right now in our bourbon warehouse so I don't think we could. Now in the future would we have say a spring and fall release of BCBS - possibly. But right now it's not really in the cards, as much as I know.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I think I heard the buzz on Beer Advocate and I take everything I read there with about one million grains of salt. Especially when it comes to anything about Goose Island.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #1048 on: January 28, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »
Made the girlfriend open the bottle of Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca she bought yesterday (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9897/19306) and was more than impressed.

After binging on stout and porter earlier in the winter (including a not so fabulous homebrew porter) I've been on a wit kick and this might be my favorite of the bunch. I think they have bottles of it at Ray's if anyones interested. Good orange-wheat sweetness while still tasting nice and bright.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #1049 on: February 05, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »

Moon Man is a go-to for me.  Every time I'm up for an MU game, stopping at Woodman's in Kenosha and picking up a case of Moon Man is a must.

I really wish they were still selling Engima right now too.