[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Daniel
[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644764 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #975 on: November 20, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »
this is a great idea: http://blackfridaybeer.com/

<a href="http://blackfridaybeer.com/uploads/3/1/6/8/3168628/472252_orig.jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://blackfridaybeer.com/uploads/3/1/6/8/3168628/472252_orig.jpg</a>

We are doing this for the third year in a row at Binny's in Lincoln Park with a special launch. 1st year was Bourbon County Brand Stout Rare, last year was King Henry and this year is Bourbon County Brand Cherry Rye Stout and Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout. Might as well kickoff big imperial black stouts on Black Friday.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #976 on: November 21, 2012, 07:47:30 AM »
Founder's Boltcutter.   I had the one and only bottle I am likely to get my hands on.   Unbelievably good.   

I has one of these bottles as well... cost me a pretty penny, but I got one.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #977 on: December 03, 2012, 10:53:27 PM »
About time I put a summer/fall's worth of tasting notes in, aina?

O'so Third Wheel- Kinda earthy and floral, a wheat beer they called a Belgian. Wasn't terribly impressed with it.

New Holland White Hatter- A cross between a witbier and a pale ale. Nice citrus hops meshed well with the Belgian style spice. Not as good as Bedlam, but a good beer.

Sixpoint Resin- Big, hoppy double IPA. It was pretty run of the mill.

Southern Tier 2X Milk Stout- Fantastic beer. Everything you want from the style, in perfect balance. At 7.5%, it’s the perfect strength. Not too thin, but you can have more than one.

Southern Tier Harvest- My favorite beer of the fall. Malty, sweet, a touch of fruit, and more than enough hops. Wish I would have stocked up.

Southern Tier Crème Brulee Stout- Had it on tap with dessert one night. Loved the caramel and vanilla notes, nice warmth from the alcohol. Fun beer.

Milwaukee Brewing Weekend at Louie’s- An amber infused with blueberry and tea. It was interesting, a bit on the sweet side for my tastes. Aroma was fantastic.

Milwaukee Brewing Louie's Resurrection- Louie’s Demise aged in bourbon barrels. This was really well done. The malt stands up well, and that sweetness with the bourbon flavor is delicious.

Lake Louie Kiss the Lips- They broke away from the American IPA trend with this one. Not as aggressively hopped, nice citrus flavor and aroma. Decent beer.

Finch's Golden Wing- Wasn’t crazy about this one at all. There was a bitter, grassy flavor to it that I didn’t care for.

New Glarus Hometown Blonde- Another version of a pilsner, and I think this was far better than Two Women. It was near perfect for the style.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #978 on: December 03, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »
New Belgium Red Hoptober- A hoppy red. Reminded me a bit of Fixed Gear, very solid brew.

Titletown Dark Helmet- First beer of theirs I’ve tried, and it was alright. Good schwarzbier, I dig a Kostritzer more though.

Bruery Autumn Maple- Either I got a bad glass, or the description of it was way off. I was expecting some sweet, spicy, vanilla notes. But there was a tartness that was overwhelming. Disappointing.

Kentucky Bourbon Ale- Had this on tap. Heavy bourbon flavor, thinner body than the Louie’s Resurrection. A nice sipper.

Lakefront Luther- A smoked rauchbier. Not sure it’s my style. It wasn’t bad, and the smoke wasn’t overpowering. Would be great with some BBQ/

Sun King Osiris- That growler didn’t last long. The ultimate session pale ale. Assertive hops, but very clean. Little lingering bitterness. Great beer.

Sun King Angle Juice- A touch hoppier than Osiris, this drinks more like an IPA than a pale ale. Not bad, though.

Atwater Vanilla Java Porter- Loved the idea of this beer, but the execution was lacking. Far too thin and watery for me.

Victory Festbier- A well made Marzen, in the top third of American Octoberfests.

New Glarus Serendipity- Their latest fruit beer. Crisp, tart, and a little sweet. Brewed with apples, cranberries, and cherries, then aged in oak. Each component can be picked out, but they all work together.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #979 on: December 03, 2012, 11:02:37 PM »
I just had Lakefront Luther this past weekend. Wow, what an awesome Rauchbier. It is spot on to style and really great. Probably the best Lakefront beer I have ever had. Tasted like bacon in a bottle.

Also went to the MKE Brewery Tour. One thing for sure, they need to clean their lines at the brewery. Every beer has diacetyl in them.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #980 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
Also went to the MKE Brewery Tour. One thing for sure, they need to clean their lines at the brewery. Every beer has diacetyl in them.

That's disappointing. I have to wonder if they aren't quite prepared for how popular their tour has become.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #981 on: December 04, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
New Belgium Red Hoptober- A hoppy red. Reminded me a bit of Fixed Gear, very solid brew.

Titletown Dark Helmet- First beer of theirs I’ve tried, and it was alright. Good schwarzbier, I dig a Kostritzer more though.

Bruery Autumn Maple- Either I got a bad glass, or the description of it was way off. I was expecting some sweet, spicy, vanilla notes. But there was a tartness that was overwhelming. Disappointing.

Kentucky Bourbon Ale- Had this on tap. Heavy bourbon flavor, thinner body than the Louie’s Resurrection. A nice sipper.

Lakefront Luther- A smoked rauchbier. Not sure it’s my style. It wasn’t bad, and the smoke wasn’t overpowering. Would be great with some BBQ/

Sun King Osiris- That growler didn’t last long. The ultimate session pale ale. Assertive hops, but very clean. Little lingering bitterness. Great beer.

Sun King Angle Juice- A touch hoppier than Osiris, this drinks more like an IPA than a pale ale. Not bad, though.

Atwater Vanilla Java Porter- Loved the idea of this beer, but the execution was lacking. Far too thin and watery for me.

Victory Festbier- A well made Marzen, in the top third of American Octoberfests.

New Glarus Serendipity- Their latest fruit beer. Crisp, tart, and a little sweet. Brewed with apples, cranberries, and cherries, then aged in oak. Each component can be picked out, but they all work together.

You probably got a bad glass, but the yams add some sweetness to it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #982 on: December 04, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

It still amazes me how often it is that I go to a high-end restaurant, bar, taproom, etc. and can detect lacto or diacetyl in their tap lines.  I especially enjoy when I don't order a sour and get something pulled from a line through which brett once flowed.

Illinois requires tap lines be cleaned once a week; I believe Wisconsin is once every two weeks.  I've been to places in both states where I'd swear they weren't cleaned in a year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #983 on: December 04, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
It still amazes me how often it is that I go to a high-end restaurant, bar, taproom, etc. and can detect lacto or diacetyl in their tap lines.  I especially enjoy when I don't order a sour and get something pulled from a line through which brett once flowed.

Illinois requires tap lines be cleaned once a week; I believe Wisconsin is once every two weeks.  I've been to places in both states where I'd swear they weren't cleaned in a year.

I know a bar in Illinois that has likely never cleaned them. Never good when everything tastes like Beast Ice.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #984 on: December 04, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »

Well cleaning is a very subjective practice that not everyone does correctly with a caustic solution every time and acid every few cleanings to get the rest. Some just use a regular cleaner and run it through and don't do it long enough. Butter beer is my least favorite flavor and one I am very susceptible to. And much of this isn't the bars fault, they trust their cleaning company who probably is short changing them.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #985 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
Happy 79th Birthday 21st Amendment!!!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #986 on: December 06, 2012, 07:16:52 AM »
Happy 79th Birthday 21st Amendment!!!!!

I think there's a bar in Washington D.C. called The 21st Amendment.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #987 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »

Could be. It's also the name of a chain of liquor stores in Indiana and the law that repealed the 18th Amendment.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #988 on: December 06, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
Has anyone had the Lakefront Black Friday black IPA?

It's supposed to be fantastic, but now unavailable/very hard to get.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #989 on: December 06, 2012, 01:06:47 PM »

Heard good things as well, but I was too lazy to stand in line for it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #990 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »

Could be. It's also the name of a chain of liquor stores in Indiana and the law that repealed the 18th Amendment.

Someone confirm a rumor I heard but never bothered to check into... the 21st Amendments in Indy are still state-owned or operated?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #991 on: December 07, 2012, 07:33:14 AM »

We got one in Boston.

http://www.21stboston.com/

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #992 on: December 07, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »
I had a bottle and was disappointed, I was actually glad I didn't have the opportunity to buy more.

I couldn't even tell that it was 10%ABV, the only flavor I got was the cascade hops, nothing else really broke through the hop flavor IMO. It was good but not $10/bottle good.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
9 beers
« Reply #993 on: December 09, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #994 on: December 24, 2012, 09:33:20 PM »
What is everyone drinking tonight and tomorrow?

So far I have had the following or is in the hopper:

New Glarus Apple Ale
New Glarus Enigma
Goose Island Matilda
Goose Island Christmas Ale

And then some experimental Goose Island beers...

Tomorrow I have a GI Juliet and GI BCBS Coffee as well as some Surly Coffee Bender on tap along with the regular Goose beers.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #995 on: December 25, 2012, 09:53:12 AM »
What is everyone drinking tonight and tomorrow?

So far I have had the following or is in the hopper:

New Glarus Apple Ale
New Glarus Enigma
Goose Island Matilda
Goose Island Christmas Ale

And then some experimental Goose Island beers...

Tomorrow I have a GI Juliet and GI BCBS Coffee as well as some Surly Coffee Bender on tap along with the regular Goose beers.

I cracked the Founder's Bolt Cutter with the old man.  It was strong.  But the warmer it got, the better it tasted.

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #996 on: December 25, 2012, 11:18:32 AM »
Started with 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust, then Leinies Big Eddy Imperial IPA, Founders Breakfast Stout, but then switched gears as we were planning to go to mass a little later.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #997 on: December 25, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »
I'm back home in Alaska so I went with a trifecta of local stuff:

Midnight Sun Sockeye Red IPA
Midnight Sun Soliel Belgian Pale Ale
Broken Tooth Midtown Brown

Finished with some of the stout I brewed for pops.

Is anyone here on Untappd? I'd love you to add you guys. my user name is grizz_wald.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:01:04 AM by akmarq »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #998 on: December 28, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »
I tried Three Floyds Zombie Dust on tap at Romans last night, I'm not great at describing what I tasted but I really loved the spicy hop flavors (Citra?) but after drinking a bit it seemed sort of thin and lackiing other than the hop taste.

After that I treid the O'so bourbon barrel aged Night Train, first I absolutely love the normal NT especially on nitro, well I think bourbon does for beer what bacon does for food = it improves everything, this beer was great, funny that I never heard of this one before.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #999 on: December 31, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »

drowned the packer loss with Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout reserve series - awesome beer, possibly my new favorite or in top 5...