[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647850 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #950 on: August 12, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
Well the beer was great.  I had some of the Darklord aged in Cognac barrels, a KBS, and a King Henry.

And also, I have a hangover.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #951 on: September 07, 2012, 11:10:14 PM »
Has anyone seen the Lagunitas Daytime Fractional IPA in Milwaukee yet?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #952 on: September 08, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
I'll be at the Thirsty Troll Brewfest today in Mt Horeb WI... anyone else going?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #953 on: September 13, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »
Thought I would post this link...big release day for us: Goose Island Bourbon County Stout released today http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/stew/chi-goose-island-312-20120911,0,941586.story

For Milwaukee, call the usual suspects for distribution methods (Ray's, Discount, Three Cellars, etc.).
Chicago, it should be everywhere.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #954 on: September 13, 2012, 04:12:21 PM »
Madison area?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #955 on: September 13, 2012, 04:33:31 PM »
Madison area?

Pretty sure they will get some I just don't know the stores yet. Might want to call your favorite craft beer joint to see if they got some.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #956 on: September 14, 2012, 07:46:56 AM »
For any New York City / Fairfield Co. alums.  Harbor Yard is two blocks from the Bridgeport train station.

http://www.harborbrewfest.com/festival-info/

About the Harbor Brew Fest
The Harbor Light Foundation has planned an unforgettable beer festival for all of our attendees. Please join us Saturday, September 22, 2012 from 12pm – 5pm in the ball park at Harbor Yard for Fairfield County’s first beer festival. The event will tap off with a limited attendance Brewers Special from 12pm – 1pm. General Admission will begin at 1pm and we will pour until 5pm. General Admission ($35 per ticket) will get you an unforgettable day of beer tasting, great music from talented local bands, delicious food from CT’s favorite food trucks and a fun-filled day to enjoy with friends. Brewer’s Special ($50 per ticket) includes all of the above plus samples of reserve & specialty brews from participating breweries an hour before general admission.  A portion of the proceeds from the event will benefit the Harbor Light Foundation

mueagle84

• Walk-On
« Reply #957 on: September 20, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
Have any of you taken a stroll to the Milwaukee Brewing Company?  I highly reccomend you visiting this hidden gem in Milwaukee.  I visited there several weeks ago and definitely got more than a $7 buck tour.  In my opinion, it's better than Lake Front.  Support your local brewery!

Check out these brewery tours
-Anchor Steam Brewery - San Francisco, CA.  Make sure you get your reservation a couple months in advance.  Great tour/tasting.  Unique story behind the history of their beer.
-Sam Adams Brewery - Boston, MA.  Short tour, however, great tasting afterwards.  Pitchers of beer.  Even better when kids are on tour = more beer for adults.
-Harpoon Brewery - Boston, MA.  Just went to the tasting.  It was ok.  Kind of snooty.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #958 on: September 20, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »
Big fan of the MKE Brewing Co. tour. Their goal is to get you drunk, and they aren't ashamed to admit it. Plus the beers are pretty good.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #959 on: September 20, 2012, 09:30:50 PM »
My apologies if I've told this story already.....

Speaking of great brewery tours.

Back in 1980something, the then future Mrs. Chili and I are visiting an old 10 south Schroeder pal, and his UWM bride.  Sh1tty weekend, raining. My pal,  the dearly departed Greg Raffensperger suggests we go to this new brewery in Milwaukee, Sprecher.

We pay the $1.50 for the tour.  Tour takes about 30 min.  Tour guide pours us a few brews.  Then he says "I gotta leave, someone at the brewery is getting married.  Here's how you work the taps."

Sooooo, two hours later, an employee says "folks, I gotta head home in a while.  Have a few more, and let's think about heading out.".

About an hour later, we left.... On to Zur Krones for a boot.

That was a good day.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:10:04 AM by real chili 83 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #960 on: September 21, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
Pretty sure they will get some I just don't know the stores yet. Might want to call your favorite craft beer joint to see if they got some.

Well, I've been searching for about two weeks now, and nothing in the Madison area yet.  I shall not give up.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #961 on: September 21, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »
Well, I've been searching for about two weeks now, and nothing in the Madison area yet.  I shall not give up.

Bought the Bourbon County Stout at Binny's in the suburbs of Chicago, could not get it downtown. Great beer, flavor explosion and will knock you on your ass. Every bit of 15%.

Went to Hopleaf last night for a couple brewskis. Metropolitan Oktoberfest disappointing, actually overall I find there beers to be dissapointing. Given that it was on tap and the brewery is around the corner from Hopleaf makes it moreso. Belgium beer Dekoninck very good highly recommend.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #962 on: September 21, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »
my buds & I used to tour the original Sprecher brewery several times a year just because it was like that, now days, their beer pretty much sucks and that warehouse they call a brewery has no character/charm

remember buying Sprecher when it only came in 1 liter flip-top bottles with a deposit?

Back in 1980something, the then future Mrs. Chili and I are visiting an old 10 south Schroeder pal, and his UWM bride.  Sh1tty weekend, raining. My pal,  the dearly departed Greg Raffensperger suggests we go to this new brewery in Milwaukee, Sprecher.

We pay the $1.50 for the tour.  Tour takes about 30 min.  Tour guide pours us a few brews.  Then he says "I gotta leave, someone at the brewery is getting married.  Here's how you work the taps."

Sooooo, two hours later, an employee says "folks, I gotta head home in a while.  Have a few more, and let's think about heading out.".

That was a good day.  ;D

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #963 on: September 21, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
I tried a bottle of Nebraska Brewing Black Betty, a bourbon barrel aged Imperial stout, OK but really about the same as a BCS or KBS and not worth the $20 they charge for the champagne size bottle

Got on a waiting list at Woodmans in Oak Creek for the BCS, so far it doesn't look like it's hit the stores in Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:49:51 PM by Red Stripe »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #964 on: September 21, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
  Bought the Bourbon County Stout at Binny's in the suburbs of Chicago, could not get it downtown. Great beer, flavor explosion and will knock you on your ass. Every bit of 15%.

Went to Hopleaf last night for a couple brewskis. Metropolitan Oktoberfest disappointing, actually overall I find there beers to be dissapointing. Given that it was on tap and the brewery is around the corner from Hopleaf makes it moreso. Belgium beer Dekoninck very good highly recommend.

I got Breakfast Stout as my backup so I will be just fine.... Also picked up some Autumn Maple from the Bruery... I figured I may as well give it a shot.  Got the wife some NG Enigma as she is a sour beer fan.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #965 on: September 27, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
Consumer Beverage got 8 cases of Bourbon County yesterday, still had 3 left when I got mine last night.

Rays said they have it and will put it out on Saturday.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #966 on: September 27, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
. Belgium beer Dekoninck very good highly recommend.

This was one of my favorites while going to school in Belgium.  Have had a very hard time finding it in the states.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #967 on: September 27, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »
Locked up some Bourbon County by getting on a list in Madison.  Very excite.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #968 on: September 27, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
Looks like BCBS is all over Milwaukee right now - and for prices far lower than Chicago (even before tax). Let me know what you all think. Personally, I think it's great right now. Just a tad hot but at 15% it's fantastic.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #969 on: October 22, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
Looks like BCBS is all over Milwaukee right now - and for prices far lower than Chicago (even before tax). Let me know what you all think. Personally, I think it's great right now. Just a tad hot but at 15% it's fantastic.

I had it on tap at Erv's Mug right when the barrels were distributed. It is/was hot, but such a great beer. I managed to secure a single bottle so I'll sit on that.

I was at Everett's in South Beloit last Wednesday and the buyer there told me that people in Milwaukee were following beer trucks, waiting for the delivery to be made, and rushing inside to buy their alotments.

I know the beer is fantastic, but it's crazy that people stalk beer trucks.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #970 on: October 23, 2012, 10:00:34 AM »
I had it on tap at Erv's Mug right when the barrels were distributed. It is/was hot, but such a great beer. I managed to secure a single bottle so I'll sit on that.

I was at Everett's in South Beloit last Wednesday and the buyer there told me that people in Milwaukee were following beer trucks, waiting for the delivery to be made, and rushing inside to buy their alotments.

I know the beer is fantastic, but it's crazy that people stalk beer trucks.

The truck chasing happens in Chicago every year except this year we made enough so you can still find it stores. Part of it how much you can get in trade for BCBS but it's still the best bourbon barrel aged stout on the market. (I have held this opinion even before I worked for GI).

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #971 on: October 23, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
Central Waters finally responded to my June email last week, had given them up for dead. They said they will contact me when the 2013 batch is released in January about getting a free case of that batch and I can drink the rst of the 2012, good because my buds and I already drank half of it.

After scoring over a case of the 2012 Central Waters Peruvian Morning I was disapointed to read this today on their website
The 2011 batch was soo good, I drank one of the 2012 bottles so far and it was a bit 'off' but I hoped aging it some would help, guess it won't, waiting to see how CW replies to my email.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #972 on: November 20, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »

That was a good day.  ;D

Never get enough of stories like that - thanks!

Had a Krankshaft at Pinstripes last night. Very enjoyable though seems more of a summer beer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #973 on: November 20, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
Founder's Boltcutter.   I had the one and only bottle I am likely to get my hands on.   Unbelievably good.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #974 on: November 20, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »
this is a great idea: http://blackfridaybeer.com/

<a href="http://blackfridaybeer.com/uploads/3/1/6/8/3168628/472252_orig.jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://blackfridaybeer.com/uploads/3/1/6/8/3168628/472252_orig.jpg</a>

feedback