[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644587 times)

The Process

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #925 on: June 22, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »
I'm going to Palm Tavern tonight in Bay View.  I haven't been there in several years (although I live well within stumbling distance).

I'm sure I'm going to find some awesome beers that I haven't had before.  Mmm... beer.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #926 on: July 01, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
Tried the bier garten at Estabrook park this afternoon.  Very pleasant.  Hoffbrau Dunkel, weissbier and  original, on tap, in proper 1/2 liter and full liter glass mugs.  I will be back.  Enough shade, and very friendly patrons.
Ludum habemus.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #927 on: July 01, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
Tried the bier garten at Estabrook park this afternoon.  Very pleasant.  Hoffbrau Dunkel, weissbier and  original, on tap, in proper 1/2 liter and full liter glass mugs.  I will be back.  Enough shade, and very friendly patrons.

And you can bring your own Stein!  Their pretzels looked big and tasty too.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #928 on: July 01, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »
Had the Founders Red Rye P.A. Tonight, not usually an IPA guy, but this wad tastey.  (if that's even a word.)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #929 on: July 09, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »
I saw that the Sugar Maple will be named best beer bar in the country in the upcoming issue of Playboy

of course I doubt that every beer bar was judged but a nice PR boost for them anyway

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #930 on: July 10, 2012, 04:52:41 PM »
I saw that the Sugar Maple will be named best beer bar in the country in the upcoming issue of Playboy

of course I doubt that every beer bar was judged but a nice PR boost for them anyway

It's a good one. Bay View is fortunate to have three of the best in the country with Sugar Maple, The Palm and Roman's - which is my personal favorite. That doesn't even count Burnheart's which has gone from Hipster dungeon to a great beer bar. PJ has done great things there.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #931 on: July 16, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
Mrs. Red Stripe & I stopped in at the Horny Goat Sunday afternoon. We haven't been there since the early years, last time they had brewing equipment delivered but not yet operational.

Holy crap did they make some improvements outside!

Really love the outdoor set-up, we got a tour from the manager who mentioned they bought the marina across the river and will keep it a marina (I suspect so no one else could build condos there and have noise complaints) they bought land to the south and have plans to build a 4 story parking ramp and a larger brewery. Point still makes their packaged beer and they aren't totally satisfied with the product so want to bring it inhouse to control the process.

I suspect they do have issues with having such a small kitchen especially considering the large crowds they can handle outside.

I was disapointed that several beers were not available: Double IPA, Bock and the vanilla brown ale but I did really like the 2011 barley wine.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #932 on: July 16, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »
Mrs. Red Stripe & I stopped in at the Horny Goat Sunday afternoon. We haven't been there since the early years, last time they had brewing equipment delivered but not yet operational.

Holy crap did they make some improvements outside!

Really love the outdoor set-up, we got a tour from the manager who mentioned they bought the marina across the river and will keep it a marina (I suspect so no one else could build condos there and have noise complaints) they bought land to the south and have plans to build a 4 story parking ramp and a larger brewery. Point still makes their packaged beer and they aren't totally satisfied with the product so want to bring it inhouse to control the process.

I suspect they do have issues with having such a small kitchen especially considering the large crowds they can handle outside.

I was disapointed that several beers were not available: Double IPA, Bock and the vanilla brown ale but I did really like the 2011 barley wine.

The brewery is a great place, I will agree.  The beer is just okay though.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #933 on: July 16, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »
I agree and that's why we hadn't been there in a few years. I hope as they bring more brewing inhouse that the product improves.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #934 on: July 16, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »
The brewery is a great place, I will agree.  The beer is just okay though.

Their beer sucks. I would rather stay sober than drink it - even if it's free. It's the worst beer I have almost ever had - I would rather drink Camo Ice. Also, the whole premise and marketing scheme is a disgrace and beyond stupid.

The physical bar is nice to play vball at however they refuse to hire enough waitstaff to ever work their.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #935 on: July 16, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »
Their beer sucks. I would rather stay sober than drink it - even if it's free. It's the worst beer I have almost ever had - I would rather drink Camo Ice. Also, the whole premise and marketing scheme is a disgrace and beyond stupid.

The physical bar is nice to play vball at however they refuse to hire enough waitstaff to ever work their.

IDK, there were waitbabes everywhere you looked yesterday - now we were seated at the bar, table service might have been slower but that's one of the reasons we like to 'belly-up'

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #936 on: July 16, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »
Their beer sucks. I would rather stay sober than drink it - even if it's free. It's the worst beer I have almost ever had - I would rather drink Camo Ice.

I concur.  Except I've never had Camo Ice. 
The beer is just awful. 
Ludum habemus.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #937 on: July 16, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
I concur.  Except I've never had Camo Ice. 
The beer is just awful. 

+1,000,000 Awful is a complement IMHO.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #938 on: July 26, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
First time in Benelux.  Their menu of beer is too long. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #939 on: July 26, 2012, 10:46:01 PM »
Heading to the Milwaukee Brewfest on Saturday... anyone been there? Any tips/things I should know?

In the meantime... I sampled a few recently-

Hinterland Saison- Pretty decent saison, nice spice notes. Pretty easy drinker.

Hinterland Whiteout- Didn't care for it... Double IPA with not enough of the citrus notes.

Boulevard Boss Tom's Golden Bock- Solid spring beer. Smooth, with just enough hops and a kiss of sweetness at the end.

O'so Spike's- Interesting beer. It's either a thin bock or an amber brewed with maple. That flavor added a nice subtle sweetness, without making you think you're drinking maple syrup.

Capital Weizen- Their summer seasonal this year. Did a nice job with it. Actually prefer it to Wisconsinite.

Milwaukee Brewing O-Gii- Fascinating beer. It's an imperial wit brewed with local tea. High alcohol, but hidden very well. I really liked it.

Milwaukee Brewing Black Iron- Their take on a black IPA. Heavier on the roasted notes than others I've had in the style. Hops were there, but not overpowering.

Milwaukee Brewing Outboard- Nice cream ale. Nothing spectacular, but a good summer beer.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #940 on: July 26, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »
Heading to the Milwaukee Brewfest on Saturday... anyone been there? Any tips/things I should know?

Get there early because you will have to wait a long time in line to get in.  Last year, I waited in line for an hour or so before we got in.  Very frustrating.  After that, it was a good time with plenty of great beers on hand.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #941 on: July 27, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
First time in Benelux.  Their menu of beer is too long. 

Have you been to Centraal or Hollander? Is the menu that much different?

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #942 on: July 27, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
No.  Live in Florida, and first time back in Mke in 4 yrs.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #943 on: July 28, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
Im currently enjoying a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine, wowsa!

Never been one to drink barleywines...at all, but I recommend this one. Better suited for the winter
time given its alcohol content and body.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #944 on: August 04, 2012, 09:09:44 AM »
Was in KC last week and had a glass of Tank 7 from Boulevard Brewery.  Nummy.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #945 on: August 04, 2012, 09:59:41 AM »
Here is a quick look at some of what we are bringing to Great Taste next weekend in Madison....

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:19:09 AM by Chili »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #946 on: August 08, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
Anyone going to the Great Taste this weekend in the Peoples Republic?

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #947 on: August 08, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »
Have you been to Centraal or Hollander? Is the menu that much different?

It's pretty much the same at all three places, given the times I've been there.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #948 on: August 08, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »
I know it isn't beer, but if you can get your hands on some Zombie Killer, you should.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #949 on: August 10, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
Anyone going to the Great Taste this weekend in the Peoples Republic?

I will be there tomorrow!  Just snuck a ticket off my friend.

feedback