[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by MU82
[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644722 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #900 on: May 16, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »
right, and that is what they intend for you to do... same with bottles.

pour into a glass.

Well that doesn't really work on a train ride now does it?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #901 on: May 16, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »
Well that doesn't really work on a train ride now does it?

sure, one of the drinky thermos things people put coffee in would work just fine!

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #902 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
I'm all for the can esp. since I pour it into a glass anyway.

Off the top of my head, now Sierra Nevada, Oskar blues and Milwaukee Brewing are canning besides some UK beers that have been for a while.

I'm a big fan of Oskar Blues.  Their Old Chub is my favorite Scotch Ale out there.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #903 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
Other breweries that are doing cans include: New Belgium (Shift is solid), Sulry (Furious and Coffee Bender are both tastey), Half Acre, Goose, Six Point (I just had The Crisp and it was by far my favorite from them so far. Better than Resin and Bengali Tiger)...Also Revolution is about to launch it's production brewery in cans as well.

The nice thing about cans is they way more stable than bottles in the completely protect from light damage. They are also nice as you can bring them to beaches and places where glass often isn't allowed.

And if you're drinking a craft beer you should always try and pour it into a glass since so much of the flavor is from the aroma.
But I like to throw handfuls...

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #904 on: May 17, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
Surly says that they use cans to be "green".  That is what the owner claims.  The head brewer claims this.

Why did Surly go with cans instead of bottles for most of the lineup? I've been a fan of beer in cans forever; Omar was receptive to my idea eventually. My wife Linda contributed the 16-ounce size idea. We brew with a high percentage of finishing hops and cans do not allow any light-struck off flavors to develop.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:28:31 AM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #905 on: May 17, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
Surly says that they use cans to be "green".

There is a lot of debate on how green cans really are. Yes, they cost much less to ship than bottles and therefore use less fuel but the mining process to extract aluminum has a huge impact on the environment. The only true green beers are draft only and sold locally only. Otherwise, it's really a horse a piece.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #906 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:32 PM »
the guys at Milwaukee Brewing also stress green and mentioned the percentage of cans that end up being recycled vs. glass bottles

Chili

• All American
« Reply #907 on: May 17, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
Chicago Craft Beer Week starts today, anyone heading out to any events?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #908 on: May 24, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Does it make me a bitch if I like Summer Shandy?  Also, anyone make their own shandy, rather than buying it?

I like the Leiney's Summer Shandy and Farson's Shandy (a brewer from the island of Malta).   

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #909 on: May 24, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »
Other breweries that are doing cans include: New Belgium (Shift is solid), Sulry (Furious and Coffee Bender are both tastey), Half Acre, Goose, Six Point (I just had The Crisp and it was by far my favorite from them so far. Better than Resin and Bengali Tiger)...Also Revolution is about to launch it's production brewery in cans as well.

The nice thing about cans is they way more stable than bottles in the completely protect from light damage. They are also nice as you can bring them to beaches and places where glass often isn't allowed.

And if you're drinking a craft beer you should always try and pour it into a glass since so much of the flavor is from the aroma.

There's a microbrewery out here called the New England Brewery and they've used cans for awhile because they said it's less expensive to can beer than bottle it and it allows them to be more competitive price-wise.  FWIW

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #910 on: May 24, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »
A shot in the dark but does anyone have good information on what will become of the Bomb Shelter?

I wonder how that would be handled whether they try and keep it in the family; look for new owner; or even look to sell off stock to us nerds.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #911 on: May 24, 2012, 01:47:54 PM »
A shot in the dark but does anyone have good information on what will become of the Bomb Shelter?

I wonder how that would be handled whether they try and keep it in the family; look for new owner; or even look to sell off stock to us nerds.

They cleaned out the place, which will become another bar I guess. The landlord has been awful to deal with during this process, including trying to steal and sell off some of the memorabilia in there after the owner died.

At this point, I have heard the former manager and a few other people are looking for a new location. Nothing imminent, though.

Gotta say, it was sad driving by there last week and seeing the place boarded up, and the signs no longer there.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #912 on: May 24, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
They cleaned out the place, which will become another bar I guess. The landlord has been awful to deal with during this process, including trying to steal and sell off some of the memorabilia in there after the owner died.

At this point, I have heard the former manager and a few other people are looking for a new location. Nothing imminent, though.

Gotta say, it was sad driving by there last week and seeing the place boarded up, and the signs no longer there.

Thanks, man. I kind of figured it would be a torch job whether by a new owner or the landlord.

Really, really sucks for Milwaukee to lose that place.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #913 on: June 13, 2012, 08:54:46 AM »
This past weekend I traveled down to Indy to visit some friends and had the pleasure of trying some new beers from Sun King as well as one from Flat 12 - both local breweries.

Sun King Osirus Pale Ale - damn this is a tasty beer. clean, refreshing with just a balanced hop bitterness. really good.
Sun King Wee Mac Brown Ale - a good beer, body a bit thin but I liked it.
Flat 12 Half Cycle IPA - meh, didn't care for this. tasted like home brew ipa, and not a good one.

Then on Monday I got to try Black Mission, the 3rd beer in our Goose Island Fulton and Wood innovation beers. It's an Abby Style Ale, close to a triple, that is brewed with Vienna Malts and then secondarily fermented with Black Mission figs as well as having lactose sugar added to boost the abv and add creaminess. It comes in at 8% and is great. A nice, easy fruit sweetness on the front that doesn't linger but finishes really dry due to the traditional lager malts. http://youtu.be/KMsgSuMoBZ0

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #914 on: June 13, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks, man. I kind of figured it would be a torch job whether by a new owner or the landlord.

Really, really sucks for Milwaukee to lose that place.

I recently read somewhere (I think a Beer Advocate thread) that the former bar manager and another partner have secured a place near Stubby's by Lakefront Brewery.

It'd be nice if it was kept on the southside, but beggars (me) can't be choosers.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #915 on: June 13, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
Checked out the new O'So brewhouse in Plover a few weekends ago.   Very cool - all of the O'So brews on tap (many on nitro) and many, many other Wisconsin-originated micro-brews and specialty beers all on tap...

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #916 on: June 14, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »
OK.  Summer brews... I'm an Oberon fan, and I actually like the Lakefront Wheat Monkey.  I believe we had this going last summer as well, but there is always a chance for a new brew, or changes to an old brew.

Fade to Black by Lefthand is again amazing.... on tap at Uncle Mike's on Highway 94 in Kenosha.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #917 on: June 14, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
OK.  Summer brews... I'm an Oberon fan, and I actually like the Lakefront Wheat Monkey.  I believe we had this going last summer as well, but there is always a chance for a new brew, or changes to an old brew.

Fade to Black by Lefthand is again amazing.... on tap at Uncle Mike's on Highway 94 in Kenosha.

New Glarus Dancing Man is a great summer beer. It's pretty big for a wheat beer coming in over 7% ABV.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #918 on: June 14, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »
New Glarus Dancing Man is a great summer beer. It's pretty big for a wheat beer coming in over 7% ABV.

Summer specific beers I like:

NG Dancing Man
Futhermore Fattyboomblatty
Goose Summertime

I also drink may more citrus hop beers in the summer like Gumball Head, Zombie Dust, Racer 5.....
Also this year Red Streak by Virtue Cider has been a solid choice.

For some reason I cannot get into Oberon, too sweet for my taste. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #919 on: June 14, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Summer specific beers I like:

NG Dancing Man
Futhermore Fattyboomblatty
Goose Summertime

I also drink may more citrus hop beers in the summer like Gumball Head, Zombie Dust, Racer 5.....
Also this year Red Streak by Virtue Cider has been a solid choice.

I'd also toss Ale Asylum Bedlam on there, as well as Sweet Action from Sixpoint.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #920 on: June 14, 2012, 11:59:15 AM »
Alright... gotta get some tasting notes out there.

Goose Island Marisol- Loved this complex beer. Belgian base with coriander, citrus, and almost some green tea notes. Very tasty.

Goose Island Pepe Nero- Rich, dark, and spicy. A lot going on but still kept its balance, really liked it.

Tallgrass Velvet Rooster- Sweeter than your average tripel, and more carbonated. Not bad, but was wanting more of that yeasty funk and spice to it.

Anderson Valley Boont Oude Bruijn- Sour brown ale, really not my thing.

Boulder Mojo IPA (nitro)- Very interesting, loved the balance between the hoppiness and the smoothness off the the nitro pour.

Sprecher Maibock- Good, but unremarkable. Pretty standard Maibock.

Sixpoint Sweet Action- As I mentioned before, one of my new go-to beers. It's a hopped up cream ale, very easy drinking with enough hops to keep things interesting.

Capital Hop Cream- Similar in theory to the Sweet Action, but not as good. It drinks more like a pale ale than anything else. Wouldn't throw it out of my fridge.

Sixpoint Crisp- I think Chili mentioned this one earlier, and I was a fan as well. Flavor wise, it reminded me of Carlsberg, except fresh and well made. Very nice beer.

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree- Was able to snag a bottle, and it's remarkable. I've never had a hoppy beer with that high of an ABV have no noticeable bite. Best I've had in that style.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #921 on: June 14, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
Flying Dog Raging Bitch- Wasn't crazy about this one, too bitter and not enough Belgian. Ended up tasting like a weird IPA.

New Belgium Shift- Didn't know what to expect from a pale lager, but it's a really nice beer. The hops are there, but I think the lagering took a lot of their bite out. There's still some bitterness present, but the mellow hops add a nice floral note.

New Belgium Belgo- Decent Belgian style IPA. Prefer Bedlam to this one, though.

New Belgium Lychee Wild Ale- Went out on a limb and tried this one. It's tart, but had a nice sweetness from the lychee. And then out of nowhere came some cinnamon flavors, which helped round it out.

New Holland Golden Cap- Very good saison, enough spice notes to balance it out but not overwhelming. Good summer beer.

Lagunitas Censored- Great session beer, caramely aroma and a lot of malt up front, but the hops hit at the end.

Lagunitas Doppleweizen- Drank a lot like Dancing Man, but stronger. Huge wheat flavor and some warmth from the alcohol.

Lakefront Brad- Part of their "My Turn" series. Usually not a Scottish ale guy, but this one was very nice. Instead of a malt bomb, they actually hopped it up a bit.

Lakefront Wisconsinite- The story of this beer is awesome, the execution is alright. Easy enough drinking Weiss, but something was a bit off. Usually an ardent "don't fruit the beer" guy, but a lemon really helped brighten this one up.

Also... had an 15 month old bottle of 90 Minute that I aged. I know, I know, you're not supposed to age IPA's. But this beer was fantastic. The aging really transformed the beer and gave it more strength and balance.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #922 on: June 14, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »
After scoring over a case of the 2012 Central Waters Peruvian Morning I was disapointed to read this today on their website
To Our Valued Fans:

After much scrutiny and tastings, we are announcing a voluntary recall of the 2012 batches of Peruvian Morning. The beer has begun to take on a distinct off flavor that is not our intention, and as we stand behind the quality of our beer, we are offering our customers the opportunity to exchange the product they feel is bad for something else.

We would like to clarify that this beer will not hurt you by drinking it, but the flavor profile is undesirable for the style. The nature of our barrel aging program, specifically Peruvian Morning, carries many variables, and a certain level of risk. We have implemented, and will continue to implement strategies to keep this from happening again.

We at Central Waters care very deeply about the quality of our beers, and as a small company every customer is important to us. As such, if you have Peruvian Morning that you feel has gone bad and would like an exchange, please send an email to peruvian@centralwaters.com and we will be in touch with you on a case by case basis.

Again, we apologize for the problem, it is unfortunately a nature of this business sometimes, we intend to make it right by everyone.

Thank you for your support, now and in the future.

Sincerely,
Central Waters Brewing Company

The 2011 batch was soo good, I drank one of the 2012 bottles so far and it was a bit 'off' but I hoped aging it some would help, guess it won't, waiting to see how CW replies to my email.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #923 on: June 14, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »
Boulevard issued a very similar one for their Chocolate Ale. Wonder if there's a connection, or common ingredient at all.

http://www.boulevard.com/beers/chocolate-ale-refund-announcement/

Chili

• All American
« Reply #924 on: June 14, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
Boulevard issued a very similar one for their Chocolate Ale. Wonder if there's a connection, or common ingredient at all.

http://www.boulevard.com/beers/chocolate-ale-refund-announcement/

Nope, just them learning about how to properly barrel age. It's really really hard as the really good barrel aged programs know how to blend the best. So all of the programs are going to have bumps and even the top programs will have issues every once in a while.

Hopefully it is something like oxidation where they can reprop the beer into something else and not a bad infection. 

feedback