collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644832 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #825 on: February 20, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
Speaking of MSP, at Ike's enjoying a Surly Bender.....solid

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #826 on: February 20, 2012, 06:16:31 PM »
Speaking of MSP, at Ike's enjoying a Surly Bender.....solid

Surly ranked as 11th best brewery in the world....some pretty good company as rated by  http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/bestbrewers_012012.asp

1  Three Floyds Brewing Company    Munster   Indiana    USA   
 2  Founders Brewing Company    Grand Rapids   Michigan    USA   
 3  Bells Brewery    Kalamazoo   Michigan    USA   
 4  AleSmith Brewing Company    San Diego   California    USA   
 5  Cigar City Brewing    Tampa   Florida    USA   
 6  Hill Farmstead Brewery    Greensboro   Vermont    USA   
 7  Stone Brewing Co.    Escondido   California    USA   
 8  Russian River Brewing    Santa Rosa   California    USA   
 9  De Struise Brouwers    Oostvleteren   -    Belgium   
 10  Kuhnhenn Brewing    Warren   Michigan    USA   
 11  Surly Brewing Company    Brooklyn Center   Minnesota    USA

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #827 on: February 22, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »
Surly ranked as 11th best brewery in the world....some pretty good company as rated by  http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/bestbrewers_012012.asp

1  Three Floyds Brewing Company    Munster   Indiana    USA   
 2  Founders Brewing Company    Grand Rapids   Michigan    USA   
 3  Bells Brewery    Kalamazoo   Michigan    USA   
 4  AleSmith Brewing Company    San Diego   California    USA   
 5  Cigar City Brewing    Tampa   Florida    USA   
 6  Hill Farmstead Brewery    Greensboro   Vermont    USA   
 7  Stone Brewing Co.    Escondido   California    USA   
 8  Russian River Brewing    Santa Rosa   California    USA   
 9  De Struise Brouwers    Oostvleteren   -    Belgium   
 10  Kuhnhenn Brewing    Warren   Michigan    USA   
 11  Surly Brewing Company    Brooklyn Center   Minnesota    USA

Some of those rankings in link are flat out clownish.

But that's the beauty of a beauty beautifying contest. It's all about beauty for the ones who like certain beauty.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #828 on: March 10, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »
Barley wine Fest is on at the Sugar Maple, I counted 12 on the list last night

I tried the Moylans Blarney Wine and the New Glarus, the Moylans was good but the NG is very good

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #829 on: March 11, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »

I tried the Moylans Blarney Wine and the New Glarus, the Moylans was good but the NG is very good

Speaking of Fest's...anyone going to Stoutfest in Chicago next Saturday?

At BW Fest was Central Waters present? What they did this year (well last year brewing) is pretty spectacular, probably my 2nd favorite after King Henry.
But I like to throw handfuls...

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #830 on: March 11, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »

I'm a huge Barley Wine nerd, and it's tough to find good selections as a lot of breweries don't brew them every year or they only sell a limited amount.  Will be up in MKE this week, gonna have to find time to get down to Sugar Maple for a couple samples.  What's the name of the NG barley wine? 

I've had a chance to get Central Waters 2010 and 2011, both were pretty fantastic.  Southern Tier Back Burner continues to be my favorite but I haven't seen it at all this year.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #831 on: March 11, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
I'm a huge Barley Wine nerd, and it's tough to find good selections as a lot of breweries don't brew them every year or they only sell a limited amount.  Will be up in MKE this week, gonna have to find time to get down to Sugar Maple for a couple samples.  What's the name of the NG barley wine? 

I've had a chance to get Central Waters 2010 and 2011, both were pretty fantastic.  Southern Tier Back Burner continues to be my favorite but I haven't seen it at all this year.

Have you tried the Barrel Aged CW BW? It's pretty tits.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #832 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »
Have you tried the Barrel Aged CW BW? It's pretty tits.

Yeah, I was in Milwaukee and made my pilgrimage to Discount Liquors (which I do every time I go up because it's better than most anything here in Chicago) and they were selling single bottles.  Bought the two they allowed.  Positively delicious. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #833 on: March 12, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
What's the name of the NG barley wine? 

No name, it's their latest Thumbprint formerly Unplugged" series - just Barley wine

Our 2012 Barley Wine bridges continents of style, a harmonious creation of Diploma Master Brewer Daniel Carey. He personally chose the hop fields that were harvested for this powerful beast of a brew. Styrian Golding, Willamette, Columbia, and Sterling with bold citrus and resin notes. All perfectly balanced with toasty graham cracker flavors of floor malted barley. Savor this very big beer at 45° F and it will reward you with an open embrace.
http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/beers/ourbeers/beer/barley-wine

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #834 on: March 12, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
No name, it's their latest Thumbprint formerly Unplugged" series - just Barley wine

Thanks. Will look for it.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #835 on: March 12, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
Yeah, I was in Milwaukee and made my pilgrimage to Discount Liquors (which I do every time I go up because it's better than most anything here in Chicago) and they were selling single bottles.  Bought the two they allowed.  Positively delicious.

When I go up to Milwaukee I also stop by at DicLiq but only to get New Glarus and Alaskan Brewing Co. beers, stuff I can't get in Chicago. Where in Chicago do you buy beer? There are plenty of places.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #836 on: March 12, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »

When I go up to Milwaukee I also stop by at DicLiq but only to get New Glarus and Alaskan Brewing Co. beers, stuff I can't get in Chicago. Where in Chicago do you buy beer? There are plenty of places.

Typically Binny's.  I'm up in the North shore area.  It's not that Binny's doesn't have a good selection, I just find that Discount has better selection on the harder to find beers (i.e. last time up I was able to get this year's Hopslam and the CW Barrel Aged Barleywine).  They tend to have a better handle on their selection as well as what's coming up that's exciting. Binny's always seems to have less of a feel on what brewery's are up to unless their specific beer guy is in the store.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #837 on: March 12, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
I shouldn't post this because it will make the supply that much harder to find but Founders KBS is on it's way to stores now. A friend of mine hit KBS day at Founders on Saturday and for the 1st time in 5 years he was too late to get in the case line even though he showed up at the same time as before.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #838 on: March 12, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »
I shouldn't post this because it will make the supply that much harder to find but Founders KBS is on it's way to stores now. A friend of mine hit KBS day at Founders on Saturday and for the 1st time in 5 years he was too late to get in the case line even though he showed up at the same time as before.

Great reminder.  Thanks.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #839 on: March 12, 2012, 05:14:24 PM »

I would go to Woodman's in Oak Creek now instead of Discount. Same if not better selection plus better prices.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #840 on: March 12, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
I would go to Woodman's in Oak Creek now instead of Discount. Same if not better selection plus better prices.

With you on the prices, I used to live just down the street from that Woodman's.  But there's nobody to talk beer with, and I personally like trying out new beers based on someone's knowledgeable recommendation.  I'd also disagree with the better selection.  May be on par for your typical craft beers and carrying most good breweries, but the limited release seasonals (i.e. CW barleywine, KBS, hopslam) won't typically be found there.

Edit:  Woodman's is a great place to buy beer and worth a trip for those who might have taken my comments as an indictment of their selection.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:53:12 PM by mugrad2006 »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #841 on: March 12, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »

Thanks.  I doubt I will decrease your chances as I will be trying to secure some in Southeast Georgia.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
« Reply #842 on: March 13, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
With you on the prices, I used to live just down the street from that Woodman's.  But there's nobody to talk beer with, and I personally like trying out new beers based on someone's knowledgeable recommendation.  I'd also disagree with the better selection.  May be on par for your typical craft beers and carrying most good breweries, but the limited release seasonals (i.e. CW barleywine, KBS, hopslam) won't typically be found there.

Edit:  Woodman's is a great place to buy beer and worth a trip for those who might have taken my comments as an indictment of their selection.

Woodman's gets the rare beers and I don't consider CWBW or Hopslam rare - I mean they both were heavily distributed. Woodman's GIBCS 2 years ago. When going to Discount, be VERY careful with ages. Also, you could go to Groppi's in Bay View. The buyers there (in conjunction with Downer Ave) do an AWESOME job of getting things plus they have 2 beers on tap. One of the first in the state to get Zombie Dust on tap last year. And CW Barleywine is easy as sin to get. They still have a ton at Binny's LP on Clybourn. And the Barrelaged BW too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:18:30 AM by Chili »

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #843 on: March 13, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »
 Anyone tried Pipeworks Brewery's Ninja vs. Unicorn. They just started bottling as are many of the Chicago area breweries in the near future.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/stew/chi-pipeworks-brewing-pipeworks-brewing-launches-20120309,0,5985130.story
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Chili

• All American
« Reply #844 on: March 13, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
Anyone tried Pipeworks Brewery's Ninja vs. Unicorn. They just started bottling as are many of the Chicago area breweries in the near future.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/stew/chi-pipeworks-brewing-pipeworks-brewing-launches-20120309,0,5985130.story

It's a solid dipa....

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #845 on: March 13, 2012, 10:44:08 AM »

http://www.durtynellies.com/viewshow.asp?id=399

Saturday May 5
BEER FEST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tickets go on sale March 18th. The event will be held on Saturday, May 5th. More details to come! Tickets will go fast, make sure you pick em' up!

brewcity'77

• Walk-On
« Reply #846 on: March 19, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »
well since it looks like I'm gonna be shutout of any KBS this year I pulled out some 2009 vintage Founders Nemesis to share with my brother during the game against Murray St.

I had tried a bottle of this back when I bought it in '09 and I couldn't stand the dominant maple flavor so I hoped aging would improve it, WOW! what adifference a couple of years made. there was barely a hint of maple, instead there was a subtle chocolate with just a suggestion of mint among a very well balanced taste.

now, how long should I hold onto the 2010 Nemesis :hmmm:

reinko

• All American
« Reply #847 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Sierra Nevada is releasing there Hoptimum again this Spring, anyone ever had it?  Generally like a lot of SN, even if it is a larger scale micro beer.  The SN Celebration Ale is one of my go to's around the X-Mas holiday.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #848 on: April 05, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »
Sierra Nevada is releasing there Hoptimum again this Spring, anyone ever had it?  Generally like a lot of SN, even if it is a larger scale micro beer.  The SN Celebration Ale is one of my go to's around the X-Mas holiday.

It's a solid beer. I enjoy it. Tho I am currently drinking a Zombie Dust after a night of Goose Island Bramble and Marisol and Black Xanus.

As for the larger scale craft brewery - that's a crap thing. If the beer is good, drink it. If it sucks, don't drink it. Full disclosure I work for Goose Island and this ticks me off. I won't into here but the beer we make kicks ass (for the most part - hell, I know we are not even immune certain things but our Belgian Style and Bourbon / Aged beers are world unnatural carnal knowledgeing class) but there are other small breweries people keep going to which don't turn out nearly as good of beer as Goose, Sierra, Deschutes, Bell's, etc. End Rant.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #849 on: April 05, 2012, 06:45:58 AM »

It's a solid beer. I enjoy it. Tho I am currently drinking a Zombie Dust after a night of Goose Island Bramble and Marisol and Black Xanus.

As for the larger scale craft brewery - that's a crap thing. If the beer is good, drink it. If it sucks, don't drink it. Full disclosure I work for Goose Island and this ticks me off. I won't into here but the beer we make kicks ass (for the most part - hell, I know we are not even immune certain things but our Belgian Style and Bourbon / Aged beers are world fracking class) but there are other small breweries people keep going to which don't turn out nearly as good of beer as Goose, Sierra, Deschutes, Bell's, etc. End Rant.

Damn, any chance of hooking some fellow alums up with a bottle of bramble?