[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644612 times)

jtrash37

• Starter
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #775 on: December 05, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
Spotted Cow is piss.  Mind you, if drinking that swill ensures MU goes without a loss this season, I'd drink it till I puked every game day!

Anyone have any good suggestions for holiday brews?  I don't care for beers with a lot of hop flavor, I prefer the spicy/chocolate/carmel of porters/reds/etc. 

Fruit beers/lambics aren't horrible either.  I love Fruili, although it's $6 for a 7oz bottle, and not available in draught here any more.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #776 on: December 06, 2011, 12:47:04 AM »
Spotted Cow is piss.  Mind you, if drinking that swill ensures MU goes without a loss this season, I'd drink it till I puked every game day!

Anyone have any good suggestions for holiday brews?  I don't care for beers with a lot of hop flavor, I prefer the spicy/chocolate/carmel of porters/reds/etc. 

Fruit beers/lambics aren't horrible either.  I love Fruili, although it's $6 for a 7oz bottle, and not available in draught here any more.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale is my personal favorite.
Goose Island makes a good Christmas Ale.
I am waiting on a six pack Schlafly Christmas.

Also, it is rolling into big hearty stout season. As for good stouts out right now you can't get much better than Founders Breakfast Stout. Just a damn near perfect beer IMO.

But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #777 on: December 06, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »
Get it while you can! Goose Island Bourbon County stout has been hitting the shelves in the last few days.

Discount Liquor says they got 2 cases and is selling by the bottle - limit 1 per person. Consumer Beverage also had 2 cases but my brother & I got the last 2 four packs.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #778 on: December 06, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »

See if you can find anything by De Struise of Belgium. Under the name Tsjeeses or Tsjeeses Reserva. Nice, spicy, hearty, Holiday brew.

Ohbie

• Walk-On
« Reply #779 on: December 06, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »
Get it while you can! Goose Island Bourbon County stout has been hitting the shelves in the last few days.

Discount Liquor says they got 2 cases and is selling by the bottle - limit 1 per person. Consumer Beverage also had 2 cases but my brother & I got the last 2 four packs.

Might have to get my brother to go pick some up.  I went to the Binny's in Downer's Grove today and they're all out.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #780 on: December 06, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »
 Goose Island Mild Winter Ale, my favorite winter beer
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #781 on: December 06, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »

You might try Delirium Noel

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #782 on: December 08, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »
working on a 6-er of Atwater Brewery Vanilla Java Porter. I like it. A little lighter/thinner than I expected from a coffee porter, and its still got a real sweetness to it. Probably doesn't stand up to other really thick type porters, and I would compare it more to a Leine's Fireside Nut than a real smoky porter. I don't hate it, but don't expect to drink more than one or two.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #783 on: December 10, 2011, 08:21:42 AM »
Tried New Glarus Snow Day yesterday... A W F U L.

Went back to Founder's Breakfast.  Yes indeed, that is some gooooo-oooood stuff.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #784 on: December 10, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »
Tried New Glarus Snow Day yesterday... A W F U L.

Went back to Founder's Breakfast.  Yes indeed, that is some gooooo-oooood stuff.

You mean New BELGIUM Snow Day???

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/74123

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #785 on: December 11, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »
You mean New BELGIUM Snow Day???

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/74123

Thanks, regardless of brewer, it was awful.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #786 on: December 11, 2011, 11:15:41 PM »
So this weekend, I'm drinking Two Hearted Ale and Left Hand Milk Stout. My wife, an MU grad also who could drink her share back in the day, asks me, where's the good light beer?  Other than the obvious (there is no good light beer) what is a good light beer that she can drink when I'm drinking good stuff?  oh, and she could drink whole if she wanted to...
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #787 on: December 12, 2011, 09:08:42 AM »
So this weekend, I'm drinking Two Hearted Ale and Left Hand Milk Stout. My wife, an MU grad also who could drink her share back in the day, asks me, where's the good light beer?  Other than the obvious (there is no good light beer) what is a good light beer that she can drink when I'm drinking good stuff?  oh, and she could drink whole if she wanted to...

Amstel Light is not terribly bad. 
Ludum habemus.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #788 on: December 12, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
Had "Double Wide IPA" by Boulevard Brewing this weekend.  750 mL corked bottle... part of their Smokestack (?) series. 

I never did like the Wheat beer, but it definitely seems like Boulevard has been stepping up their game the past few years.  This one is worth trying.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #789 on: December 12, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »

Thanks for the heads up.  Picked up one bottle at Discount last week. 

Been a good couple of weeks for beer on this end.  Made it to Roman's Pub (2007 Sierra Nevada Barleywine, Southern Tier Old Man, and a Founders Breakfast Stout , all on tap) We did a mix and match, tough to drink each of those on your own.  Also got a bottle of Delirium Nocturnum as a gift.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #790 on: December 12, 2011, 11:57:34 AM »
Based on a bit in AlcoholManiacs that I picked up at the Sugar Maple I tried some New (to me) X-mas beers.

I liked the Gouden Carolous and Insanely Bad Elf, the Bad Elf not so much

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #791 on: December 12, 2011, 05:07:35 PM »
I hope this pic works. Some beers I just received from a VERY generous MU grad out on the west coast.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #792 on: December 12, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »

Light on flavor or light on calories?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #793 on: December 12, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »
I hope this pic works. Some beers I just received from a VERY generous MU grad out on the west coast.

Wow.

I'm wondering what you had to give up for that haul?  ;)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #794 on: December 12, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »
working on a 6-er of Atwater Brewery Vanilla Java Porter. I like it. A little lighter/thinner than I expected from a coffee porter, and its still got a real sweetness to it. Probably doesn't stand up to other really thick type porters, and I would compare it more to a Leine's Fireside Nut than a real smoky porter. I don't hate it, but don't expect to drink more than one or two.

Just picked up a holiday variety pack (6 types, two of each) from Atwater.   Agree the porter was perhaps a little lighter than, say, Breckenridge Porter, but it was still drinkable.    I also tried the double Bock and found it a little less intense than expected.    Still tasty, though.   Still 4 more to try.   The cherry stout intrigues me. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #795 on: December 13, 2011, 08:11:47 PM »
Light on flavor or light on calories?
Light on calories.  I know Guinness is fairly light but my wife won't drink it.  What else is there that's good flavor, with not a lot of calories?

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #796 on: December 14, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »
Light on calories.  I know Guinness is fairly light but my wife won't drink it.  What else is there that's good flavor, with not a lot of calories?

Goose Island 312 is only 135 calories.

I took that from this article: http://thebeersessions.com/recommendations/a-lighter-option-five-great-tasting-low-calorie-beers/

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #797 on: December 14, 2011, 06:46:32 PM »
Goose Island 312 is only 135 calories.

I took that from this article: http://thebeersessions.com/recommendations/a-lighter-option-five-great-tasting-low-calorie-beers/
  Thanks for the article.  I like 312, just didn't know it was relatively low in calories.  I'll have to hunt down the Anchor Summer beer.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #798 on: December 14, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »
  Thanks for the article.  I like 312, just didn't know it was relatively low in calories.  I'll have to hunt down the Anchor Summer beer.

I love Anchor, but I've had all those beers and personally would go with the Scrimshaw.  If your wife is looking for a 'traditional beer' in the sense of something familiar, it's the choice of the list and should be found at most well stocked liquor stores.  I can get a great selection of North Coast here in Chicago. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #799 on: December 15, 2011, 07:03:05 AM »

Sam Adams Light clocks in around 124 calories

feedback