[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647380 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #750 on: November 16, 2011, 11:09:45 PM »
Have a bunch that I tried, been awhile since I've posted.

The good-

Great Lakes Octoberfest- Very solid, but no Staghorn.
New Holland Mad Hatter- Excellent. Not sure why it took me so long to try it.
Lake Louie Tommy's Porter- Nice, smooth porter. Could add a little more roastiness, but delicious.
Southern Tier Porter and 2XIPA- Enjoyed both of these a lot. Especially the 2XIPA.
Dark Horse Boffo Brown and Sapient Tripale- Dark Horse has yet to let me down. Can't wait to try the coffee dopplebock.
Capital Eternal Flame- Complex, but easy drinking for so much alcohol. Fascinating back story as well.
New Glarus Chocolate Abbey- This beer surprised me. Let it warm up a little and it's a great after dinner brew.
New Glarus Blacktop- Admittedly new to black IPAs, but this was really good.

The okay-

Southern Tier Phin & Matt's- Not bad, would take a Moon Man over it though.
Alaskan Amber- Pretty standard Amber, nothing spectacular about it.
Milwaukee Brewing Hoptoberfest- Could have used more hop in hoptober.
Left Hand 400 lb Monkey- Maybe the English Style IPA isn't my thing, but this didn't wow me at all.
Upland Rad Red- Decent, but nothing I'd have repeatedly.
New Glarus Laughing Fox- Again, might just be the style, but it didn't do much for me.
Central Waters Brewhouse Coffee Stout- Not bad, but there are better options with this style.

The not so good-

Upland Wheat- Too sweet. Too carbonated. Not a fan.
Lake Louie Coon Rock Cream Ale- Had kind of a funky taste to it.
Central Waters Belgian Blonde and Great Lakes Holy Moses- Like a belgian style, but way too heavy on the spices.

And the horrible- Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat. Like drinking orange candy. Gross.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:27:07 PM by MUfan12 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #751 on: November 17, 2011, 07:10:43 AM »
I'm thinking you got an old 6er of LL CRCA.

I like all of their beers except the "Arena Premium"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #752 on: November 18, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
http://graydonscrossing.com/menus/drink.pdf

If anyone is ever in Grand Rapids, I've got the first round at this place.    The most unbelievable beer selection I have found.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #753 on: November 18, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »
Currently enjoying a FFF Munsterfest bomber

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #754 on: November 18, 2011, 09:46:03 PM »

Great choice with the Munsterfest.  Have you had the Arctic Panzer Wolf yet?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #755 on: November 18, 2011, 10:16:45 PM »
Great choice with the Munsterfest.  Have you had the Arctic Panzer Wolf yet?

Yes, but funny you mention that, there is one sitting in my fridge right now. :)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #756 on: November 18, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »

Really? I was thoroughly disappointed with this offering by FFF. I expect more from them and thought this just came out flat. Now I am just trying to hold off from opening a Baller Stout.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #757 on: November 19, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Really? I was thoroughly disappointed with this offering by FFF. I expect more from them and thought this just came out flat. Now I am just trying to hold off from opening a Baller Stout.

Their idea was to make it as true to the Oktoberfest tradition as they could.  It wasn't perfect, but it was a nice smooth, highly drinkable beer.

IMHO no one does Oktoberfest like the Germans themselves, and even then Augustiner is easily my favorite... and having a L or 3 in the 'tent' at Oktoberfest can't be matched.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #758 on: November 22, 2011, 09:25:24 PM »
one of my favorite parts of the week is to wander the beer aisles at Woodmans and decide what beer to try next. You can find virtually any beer there and cheaper than just about anywhere else. I usually find a beer that sounds interesting, plug it into beeradvocate.com and read reviews. If its scored decently (B+ or above) I usually get it.

now woodmans has a section where beers that score at or above a 95 are prominently displayed.  While this takes some of the fun out of it, I now don't have to hear about it when I've spent 45 minutes trying to decide on what beer to try next.

tonight I have two delights:

1. Capitol Brewerys Autumnal Fire. A very very good dopplebock. An outstanding representation of the type.
2. La Fin du Monde. Its like when Bruce Willis was dead at the end of Sixth Sense. Just amazing. Wow.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #759 on: November 23, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
Thanksgiving Beer, what do you all have? I picked up the following from Groppi's (which by the way has one of the smartest beer buyers I have met)..

Three Floyds Gumball Head
Three Floyds Pride & Joy
Founders Breakfast Stout
Goose Island Sofie
Goose Island Fluer

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #760 on: November 23, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »
Thanksgiving Beer, what do you all have? I picked up the following from Groppi's (which by the way has one of the smartest beer buyers I have met)..

Three Floyds Pride & Joy
Founders Breakfast Stout
Goose Island Sofie
Goose Island Fluer

Haven't picked mine up yet, but those are pretty solid choices.

And Groppi's is awesome for meat AND beer.

And I just cracked my Arctic Panzer Wolf

The Process

• All American
« Reply #761 on: November 23, 2011, 11:29:12 PM »
I live literally just down the street from there.  While I agree about their selection, for most  beers they are 2-4 dollars above woodmans. I will, however, buy from their clearance section, which is more in line with woodmans or even berts, as good beer is available.

so I'm cheap. Such is life.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #762 on: November 24, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I live literally just down the street from there.  While I agree about their selection, for most  beers they are 2-4 dollars above woodmans. I will, however, buy from their clearance section, which is more in line with woodmans or even berts, as good beer is available.

so I'm cheap. Such is life.

Woodmans is just out of the way and Groppi's, well, is a 10 minutes bike ride or 1 minute drive. I do think Woodman's has a great selection, but Groppi's is on par with Ray's in terms of price. Plus, they have good beers on tap too while you shop for meat and beer. Good times.

I never knew we had so many Bay View residents that were Marquette fans. I know in the past I have gotten Mike Roman to put the games on with sound at Roman's if people ever wanted to watch.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #763 on: November 24, 2011, 08:57:49 AM »
Woodmans is just out of the way and Groppi's, well, is a 10 minutes bike ride or 1 minute drive. I do think Woodman's has a great selection, but Groppi's is on par with Ray's in terms of price. Plus, they have good beers on tap too while you shop for meat and beer. Good times.

I never knew we had so many Bay View residents that were Marquette fans. I know in the past I have gotten Mike Roman to put the games on with sound at Roman's if people ever wanted to watch.

My mom grew up down the street from Groppi's back in the 50-60's on Delaware street.  As a child, I remember her stopping in and getting some salsiccia sausages... which I LOVED... and then they shut down for a while when the old man died... but obviously they are back open now. :)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #764 on: November 24, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »

Three Floyds Pride & Joy
Founders Breakfast Stout
Goose Island Sofie
Goose Island Fluer

I have yet to find a store with a selection this solid in FL.  No FOunders, No Three Floyds.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

The Process

• All American
« Reply #765 on: November 24, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »

we should all go drink at a bar and watch games. Brilliant!

woodmans for me is on  the way home from work so it definitely worthwhile.

parkerj

• Walk-On
« Reply #766 on: November 24, 2011, 08:47:46 PM »
one of my favorite parts of the week is to wander the beer aisles at Woodmans and decide what beer to try next. You can find virtually any beer there and cheaper than just about anywhere else. I usually find a beer that sounds interesting, plug it into beeradvocate.com and read reviews. If its scored decently (B+ or above) I usually get it.

now woodmans has a section where beers that score at or above a 95 are prominently displayed.  While this takes some of the fun out of it, I now don't have to hear about it when I've spent 45 minutes trying to decide on what beer to try next.

tonight I have two delights:

1. Capitol Brewerys Autumnal Fire. A very very good dopplebock. An outstanding representation of the type.
2. La Fin du Monde. Its like when Bruce Willis was dead at the end of Sixth Sense. Just amazing. Wow.

LOVE woodman's...a couple weeks ago i went to the singles section and plucked up a racer 5 and a hop rod rye from bear republic...i'm not a huge hophead, but the hop rod has been one of my go-to beers lately

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #767 on: November 27, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »
Here in NYC at the Blind Tiger, my favorite brewery is featured on Wed, list of beers at the end

Dieu du Ciel

Wednesday, November 30 at 3PM

A year ago, when Dieu du Ciel agreed to do an event at the Tiger I was very excited. I had already been to their Montreal brewpub a couple of times, and was very impressed by their wide range of beers, the interesting ingredients they like to use - this year it’s peppers, yuzu, mangos, and smoked malt - and the incredible quality. They manage to combine French Canadian style with American brashness, creating a voice that’s uniquely their own.                                                                                                           

I got so excited in fact, that I ran up a step ladder in my barn in Vermont, knocked it over, jumped for the loft above me like some sort of trapeze artist, allowed my momentum to carry my legs up in the air so I was parallel with the ground, and then, just as I was wondering if I was actually a gymnast, felt gravity take over as it ripped my hands loose, causing me to fall nine feet, crashing flat on my back on the hardwood floor, completely forgetting to break my landing with my arms as I had learned in sixth grade judo.                                             

The worst part of this experience wasn’t the four broken ribs and three cracked vertebrae, or the fact that I had a cold at the time causing me to cough/scream every thirty seconds. No, the worst part was having to tell Stephane Ostiguey, Dieu du Ciel’s co-founder, that I would be missing their first event at the Tiger, and the 30 plus beers they had brought across the border. A bottle of Oxycontin only softened the blow slightly.

This year I’ve managed to contain my excitement, even when Stephane sent us the list and I saw the keg of Peche Mortel aged in bourbon barrels. I didn’t jump up in the air like I wanted to. I simply looked skyward and said ah, “Dieu du Ciel,” which roughly translates to “God in heaven!” I’m playing it safe until Weds, November 30th at 3pm, so I can finally enjoy the 16 special beers made by a brewery that stopped playing it safe the day they opened their doors.

For those of you who like to plan ahead, you might want to consider making a reservation for our Vintage New Year’s Eve Party. We’ll be putting together a special list of aged beers, including some year old holiday ales, as well as some special kegs from some of our favorite breweries. Chef Tommy will be putting on an incredible buffet, and there will be the usual hats and party favors to ring in 2012. Call the Blind Tiger for details at 212-462-4682 or email us at blindtigeralehouse@gmail.com.

Also, Sunday, December 4th at 3PM Tom Baker will be making a special appearance as part of our fundraiser for Randy Marcott.  More information on this soon!

Dave Brodrick

The Dieu du Ciel List:

Revenante - Smoked Porter

Aphrodite Mechant - Cocoa and Vanilla Stout with Smoked Hot Peppers

Solstice aux Mangues - Sour Wheat Beer with Mangos

Mea Culpa - India Cream Ale

Libre Echange - Foreign Export Stout

Vaisseau des Songes - British IPA

Equinoxe d’Automne - Rauch Bock

Voyageur des Brumes - E.S.B

Penombre - Black IPA

13e Etage - Porter/Black IPA with Yuzu and mild hot peppers

Rigor Mortis de Table - Abbey-style Light Blond Ale

Peche Mortel - Imperial Coffee Stout

Derniere Volonte - Dry Hopped Belgian Blond Ale

Peche Mortel Bourbon - Imperial Coffee Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels

Cask 1 Libre Echange - Foreign Export Stout

Cask 2 Solstice d’Hiver - Barleywine

Chili

• All American
« Reply #768 on: November 27, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »

I have yet to find a store with a selection this solid in FL.  No FOunders, No Three Floyds.

neither are distributed down there. I think Three Floyds is just Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin (Madison and Milwaukee only).

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #769 on: November 29, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »
Just had this monstrosity:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13307/56842

Mikkeler 1000 IBU.  Just as hoppy as you'd expect, and then some.  Can't drink anything else after, your taste buds are shot.  Not sure I'd ever drink it again, but it was definitely an experience. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #770 on: November 29, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
Here in NYC at the Blind Tiger, my favorite brewery is featured on Wed, list of beers at the end

Dieu du Ciel

Wednesday, November 30 at 3PM

A year ago, when Dieu du Ciel agreed to do an event at the Tiger I was very excited. I had already been to their Montreal brewpub a couple of times, and was very impressed by their wide range of beers, the interesting ingredients they like to use - this year it’s peppers, yuzu, mangos, and smoked malt - and the incredible quality. They manage to combine French Canadian style with American brashness, creating a voice that’s uniquely their own.                                                                                                           

I got so excited in fact, that I ran up a step ladder in my barn in Vermont, knocked it over, jumped for the loft above me like some sort of trapeze artist, allowed my momentum to carry my legs up in the air so I was parallel with the ground, and then, just as I was wondering if I was actually a gymnast, felt gravity take over as it ripped my hands loose, causing me to fall nine feet, crashing flat on my back on the hardwood floor, completely forgetting to break my landing with my arms as I had learned in sixth grade judo.                                             

The worst part of this experience wasn’t the four broken ribs and three cracked vertebrae, or the fact that I had a cold at the time causing me to cough/scream every thirty seconds. No, the worst part was having to tell Stephane Ostiguey, Dieu du Ciel’s co-founder, that I would be missing their first event at the Tiger, and the 30 plus beers they had brought across the border. A bottle of Oxycontin only softened the blow slightly.

This year I’ve managed to contain my excitement, even when Stephane sent us the list and I saw the keg of Peche Mortel aged in bourbon barrels. I didn’t jump up in the air like I wanted to. I simply looked skyward and said ah, “Dieu du Ciel,” which roughly translates to “God in heaven!” I’m playing it safe until Weds, November 30th at 3pm, so I can finally enjoy the 16 special beers made by a brewery that stopped playing it safe the day they opened their doors.

For those of you who like to plan ahead, you might want to consider making a reservation for our Vintage New Year’s Eve Party. We’ll be putting together a special list of aged beers, including some year old holiday ales, as well as some special kegs from some of our favorite breweries. Chef Tommy will be putting on an incredible buffet, and there will be the usual hats and party favors to ring in 2012. Call the Blind Tiger for details at 212-462-4682 or email us at blindtigeralehouse@gmail.com.

Also, Sunday, December 4th at 3PM Tom Baker will be making a special appearance as part of our fundraiser for Randy Marcott.  More information on this soon!

Dave Brodrick

The Dieu du Ciel List:

Revenante - Smoked Porter

Aphrodite Mechant - Cocoa and Vanilla Stout with Smoked Hot Peppers

Solstice aux Mangues - Sour Wheat Beer with Mangos

Mea Culpa - India Cream Ale

Libre Echange - Foreign Export Stout

Vaisseau des Songes - British IPA

Equinoxe d’Automne - Rauch Bock

Voyageur des Brumes - E.S.B

Penombre - Black IPA

13e Etage - Porter/Black IPA with Yuzu and mild hot peppers

Rigor Mortis de Table - Abbey-style Light Blond Ale

Peche Mortel - Imperial Coffee Stout

Derniere Volonte - Dry Hopped Belgian Blond Ale

Peche Mortel Bourbon - Imperial Coffee Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels

Cask 1 Libre Echange - Foreign Export Stout

Cask 2 Solstice d’Hiver - Barleywine

The Blind Tiger is friggin' choice.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #771 on: November 29, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
Have any of you New York area folks been to this place?:

http://www.captainlawrencebrewing.com/

Besides the awesome name, my nephew tells me the brew is pretty good, and he insists we visit when I attend the BE tourney........
Ludum habemus.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #772 on: December 03, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »
Case of Spotted Cow from Woodman's and a sampler to boot now cooling in the west loop.  After today's win, it's the good luck beer of the 2011-2012 season!

Chili

• All American
« Reply #773 on: December 03, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »
Before the game at the Kohl Hole tonight tried this place called Brickhouse BBQ on University. Good joint. Really good food and great tap list. Tried a Lake Louie Reserve Scotch Ale - damn fine beer. Might have to try more form this brewery.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #774 on: December 03, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »
Before the game at the Kohl Hole tonight tried this place called Brickhouse BBQ on University. Good joint. Really good food and great tap list. Tried a Lake Louie Reserve Scotch Ale - damn fine beer. Might have to try more form this brewery.

Had the same at the Avenue Bar.  It is very good.
Ludum habemus.