[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644582 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #725 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #726 on: October 26, 2011, 01:12:24 PM »
http://www.mainstreet.com/article/lifestyle/food-drink/10-best-beer-states-2011?page=5

Open for business.

That list is bogus for one reason, doesn't include Michigan which has a much better craft brewers than almost any state, including Wisconsin. Hell, Michigan has 3 breweries which are far superior to any Wisconsin brewery in Founders, Short's and Bells.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #727 on: October 26, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »
That list is bogus for one reason, doesn't include Michigan which has a much better craft brewers than almost any state, including Wisconsin. Hell, Michigan has 3 breweries which are far superior to any Wisconsin brewery in Founders, Short's and Bells.

from that article:
We took a close look at stats provided by the Brewers Association and Beer Institute and, based on four key criteria -- production, consumption, breweries and breweries per capita -- came up with the 10 top beer states in America.

apparently MI still falls short under that criteria, now where did I put that KBS and Nemesis in the cellar?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #728 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:25 PM »

I would counter that the fine northern Wisconsin establishment, Thirsty Pagan, is more "superior" than anything Michigan has to offer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #729 on: October 26, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »
I would counter that the fine northern Wisconsin establishment, Thirsty Pagan, is more "superior" than anything Michigan has to offer.

I will have to try and find some time to get one of their beers. Always looking for a good WI Craft Brewer that isn't built on hype *cough - New Glarus - cough*.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #730 on: October 27, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
I will have to try and find some time to get one of their beers. Always looking for a good WI Craft Brewer that isn't built on hype *cough - New Glarus - cough*.

Have you ever been to the New Glarus brewery? Beyond spectacular. And how is New Glarus build on hype? Between bells, founders (my favorite brewery), and new glarus, NG is by far the least hyped. Did you pay any attention to the CBS release?

I won't say their stuff is perfect, but everything they make is at least solid, and sometimes incredible. Dancing Man, Gueuze, IIPA, Golden Ale, Moon Man, Iced Barleywine, Enigma, Yokel, Alt, Abt, and Olde Enlgish Porter are all top notch, and I'm sure I'm missing some of my favorites.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #731 on: October 27, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »
Have you ever been to the New Glarus brewery? Beyond spectacular. And how is New Glarus build on hype? Between bells, founders (my favorite brewery), and new glarus, NG is by far the least hyped. Did you pay any attention to the CBS release?

I won't say their stuff is perfect, but everything they make is at least solid, and sometimes incredible. Dancing Man, Gueuze, IIPA, Golden Ale, Moon Man, Iced Barleywine, Enigma, Yokel, Alt, Abt, and Olde Enlgish Porter are all top notch, and I'm sure I'm missing some of my favorites.

Moon Man is weak....and doesn't compare to any strong IPA. And I know they were going for a No Coast but still, come on.

The DIPA is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too sweet. The two I tried last year, one bottle and one on draft at Roman's, I didn't even finish. They were disgusting.

I do like Alt and I like Dancing Man - quality beers.

Their best beer, and in fact is my favorite Oktoberfest, is Staghorn. That beer is perfect for it's style.

By being built on hype I speak of the Spotted Cow (vomit), Chubby Squirrel, etc.

And yes, I am very aware of the CBS hype. But what do you expect from a beer that is only going bottled once every 3 years? But that is just one of their beers. The KBS, regular BS, Devil Dancer, IPA, Backwoods Bastard...oh man - just awesome.....

And yes, many beers don't live to the hype. I mean is FFF DL worth the time, not really. But the trip to DLD every April is a blast and half the fun. Is driving up to MN in October for Darkness worth it - probably not, but the beer is damn good and then you pick some Surley up just to have. Hell, I contemplate driving to StL just to get some Schlafly every once in a while, so there is always hype. It's just the NG is built on Spotted Bovine.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #732 on: October 27, 2011, 06:25:40 PM »
Moon Man is weak....and doesn't compare to any strong IPA. And I know they were going for a No Coast but still, come on.

The DIPA is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too sweet. The two I tried last year, one bottle and one on draft at Roman's, I didn't even finish. They were disgusting.

I do like Alt and I like Dancing Man - quality beers.

Their best beer, and in fact is my favorite Oktoberfest, is Staghorn. That beer is perfect for it's style.

By being built on hype I speak of the Spotted Cow (vomit), Chubby Squirrel, etc.

And yes, I am very aware of the CBS hype. But what do you expect from a beer that is only going bottled once every 3 years? But that is just one of their beers. The KBS, regular BS, Devil Dancer, IPA, Backwoods Bastard...oh man - just awesome.....

And yes, many beers don't live to the hype. I mean is FFF DL worth the time, not really. But the trip to DLD every April is a blast and half the fun. Is driving up to MN in October for Darkness worth it - probably not, but the beer is damn good and then you pick some Surley up just to have. Hell, I contemplate driving to StL just to get some Schlafly every once in a while, so there is always hype. It's just the NG is built on Spotted Bovine.

Spotted Cow is the beer the pays the bills, nothing more. It is the beer for the light beer drinker, simple as that.

Moon Man isn't an IPA, its a pale ale. Compare it to sierra nevada pale ale, not an IPA. As a pale ale it is spot on, and a delicious beer.

I also love staghorn. In fact I just returned an empty keg of it last week.

Something is to be said for a brewery that honors its home state and stays local. They could easily distribute to the entire midwest, but then we would see the same shortages as we see with every founders release in the last 3+ years.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #733 on: October 27, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »
Is driving up to MN in October for Darkness worth it - probably not, but the beer is damn good and then you pick some Surley up just to have. 

Drinking a Surly Darkness right now and I am in heaven.....will be getting it at my bar on Oct 29th and my customers cannot wait.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #734 on: October 27, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
Drinking a Surly Darkness right now and I am in heaven.....will be getting it at my bar on Oct 29th and my customers cannot wait.

Your bar? What the dilly... you talkin Alary's or elsewhere?  If I drank, I'd love to try a Surly Darkness.  You don't know of any bars in the Twin Cities that cater to Michigan or Michigan State fans do you? 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #735 on: October 28, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
Your bar? What the dilly... you talkin Alary's or elsewhere?  If I drank, I'd love to try a Surly Darkness.  You don't know of any bars in the Twin Cities that cater to Michigan or Michigan State fans do you?  

WTF? It's gotta be one or the other you can't root for both. That's like being a Cubs fan and a White Sox fan, oh wait, we have one of those here in the office.  ::)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #736 on: October 28, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »

A successful craft brewery is always built on hype.  You can have the best beer in the world, but without any hype, you'd be lucky to sell 10 bbls a year.   If it weren't for hype, most of us would have never heard of Shorts, New Glarus, Surley, etc.

You can push a bad beer with hype, but the results will be temporary (see: Red Dog c. 1995).  For a craft brewery to having staying power, it needs to be a quality beer as much as it needs to be hyped.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #737 on: October 28, 2011, 11:06:35 AM »
A successful craft brewery is always built on hype.  You can have the best beer in the world, but without any hype, you'd be lucky to sell 10 bbls a year.   If it weren't for hype, most of us would have never heard of Shorts, New Glarus, Surley, etc.

You can push a bad beer with hype, but the results will be temporary (see: Red Dog c. 1995).  For a craft brewery to having staying power, it needs to be a quality beer as much as it needs to be hyped.

Really? Marketing works? You're kidding...

there are some breweries built on hype alone...that is the point....hell, look at horny goat in mke, quite possibly the worst beer ever produced but they market the crap out of it and make money hand over fist at their brew pub.

i personally put NG in here. i think their beers for the most part are average at best but people in wisconsin put them on this pedestal that they belong in the pantheon of great american craft breweries - where they do not belong.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #738 on: October 28, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »

there are some breweries built on hype alone...that is the point....hell, look at horny goat in mke, quite possibly the worst beer ever produced but they market the crap out of it and make money hand over fist at their brew pub.

i personally put NG in here. i think their beers for the most part are average at best but people in wisconsin put them on this pedestal that they belong in the pantheon of great american craft breweries - where they do not belong.

Mostly agree, but with the caveat that a few NG beers are pretty good.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #739 on: October 28, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »

How do you define "success"? Same with "hype." To me those are blanket statements because given technology today it is easier than ever to make your presence known. A micro brewery might be so "successful" that they are unable to meet demand or that they would be unable to consistently distribute their product because they only have a limited supply. Does that mean a micro brewery in IL, WI, or MN are unsuccessful because they are not present on the east or west coast? No.

Personally I am most concerned with the quality of the product first.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #740 on: October 28, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »
A micro brewery might be so "successful" that they are unable to meet demand or that they would be unable to consistently distribute their product because they only have a limited supply.

that sounds like it fits brewers like Dogfish Head and several of the Founders beers...

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #741 on: October 28, 2011, 12:11:58 PM »
that sounds like it fits brewers like Dogfish Head and several of the Founders beers...

I think it fits a lot of micro breweries. Unfortunately the name of the game is limited distribution. In regard to Founders, I love their porter and could go for one right now.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #742 on: October 28, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »

I'd think it has more to do with home-town pride and regional preferences than it does a belief that NG belongs in the Pantheon.  I'm sure people in the NW would say the same thing about how people from Michigan put Bells and Shorts on a pedestal.  Heck... have you ever tried some of the "beer" made in former Soviet states?  Most of it tastes like manure run-off, but tell that to a Ukrainian, and he'll sick his 7'2" aunt from Chernobyl on you.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #743 on: October 28, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »

Dogfish overshot its distribution to the point where the liquor store down the road from their Milton brewery couldn't even get some product.

They just strong-armed Milton into re-zoning the land around the brewery so look for them to expand what they have and try to jump up a spot in terms of craft distribution.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #744 on: October 28, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »

Yes Alary's.....long story.....Have the NCAA ticket or whatever they call it and get a lot of guys from the different small St. Paul colleges coming in to watch them.  Darkness this year is as good as it gets and is officially released tomorrow.  Will not be at the bar tomorrow...going to see the Hutchinson/Marshall football game.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #745 on: October 28, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
I'd think it has more to do with home-town pride and regional preferences than it does a belief that NG belongs in the Pantheon.  I'm sure people in the NW would say the same thing about how people from Michigan put Bells and Shorts on a pedestal.  Heck... have you ever tried some of the "beer" made in former Soviet states?  Most of it tastes like manure run-off, but tell that to a Ukrainian, and he'll sick his 7'2" aunt from Chernobyl on you.

the thing i have NG being local is that I can drive from Bay View to Three Floyds quicker than I can to NG, so what is local? I try and stick to great lakes and midwest beers, but until a WI brewer can make a beer with the hop profile of a Racer 5, Gumball Head, etc - I am not going to be impressed.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #746 on: October 28, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »

the thing i have NG being local is that I can drive from Bay View to Three Floyds quicker than I can to NG, so what is local? I try and stick to great lakes and midwest beers, but until a WI brewer can make a beer with the hop profile of a Racer 5, Gumball Head, etc - I am not going to be impressed.

Marketing? Are you kidding? Do you realize that New Glarus spends exactly zero dollars on marketing and advertising. Name the last time you have ever seen a New Glarus advertisement anywhere...

It sounds like you don't like New Glarus because they DON'T make super hopped up, overly hyped beers. The brewmaster, Dan Carey, spent years in Germany in an apprenticeship. He learned brewing by making lagers and dark ales. He makes what he likes to drink, he doesn't give in to the hop and imperial stout craze to make a quick buck. This is why you don't think they are on the pedestal with other craft breweries. For the style, New Glarus makes everything just about perfectly.

What to try a world class wheat beer? Dancing Man Wheat is as good as anything you will find in Germany. Want to drink a quality lager? Two Women and Laughing Fox are spot on. Looking for a pale ale? Moon Man is the best pale I've ever had, better than Gumballhead in my opinion (which is actually a hoppy wheat ale). Are fruit beers your thing? New Glarus does fruit better than anyone in America, hands down. You enjoy sours? Their Bourbon Barrel Kriek, Gueuze, Enigma, and Old English Porter are as excellent and authentic as anything found in Europe. Want an oktoberfest? The Staghorn is the best example available in Wisconsin. And I'm not even mentioning their world class Alt, IIPA, Eisbock (who the hell else makes an eisbock?), berliner weisse, black ipa, barleywine, abt, yokel, uff-da, back 40 bock, or stone soup, all great beers.

I spoke with a New Glarus brewer recently, and he let me in on a few secrets. You heard it here first. (1) They are currently working on a barleywine that they are very excited about. (2) Expect another Gueuze in the summer of 2012, this time as authentic as anything in Belgium. 100%  spontaneous fermented, and a blend of 1 and 3 year old lambic. (3) They are currently in the planning phase of an expansion to their old brewery to include a barrel room used exclusively for a lambic program.

You may not like the styles that New Glarus chooses to focus on, but you cannot deny that they brew their styles excellently.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:26:52 PM by JimmyB! »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #747 on: October 28, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »
Some of the "hype" feelings about NG comes from stuff like reading about Spotted Cow in Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column as a brew he must try from Wisconsin.  Put me squarely in the "I cannot drink Spotted Cow" camp.  Not a big fan of the fruit beers that NG makes either. 

I do appreciate Uff-da, and plan on trying the Staghorn tomorrow, based on JimmyB's article.
Ludum habemus.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #748 on: October 30, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
Some of the "hype" feelings about NG comes from stuff like reading about Spotted Cow in Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column as a brew he must try from Wisconsin.  Put me squarely in the "I cannot drink Spotted Cow" camp.  Not a big fan of the fruit beers that NG makes either. 

I do appreciate Uff-da, and plan on trying the Staghorn tomorrow, based on JimmyB's article.

It's funny to see the gulf in perception of New Glarus from inside/outside the state.

There are people at beer palaces here in the east that consider NG to be a different level. Perhaps the marketing has gotten to them because the product certainly hasn't.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #749 on: November 16, 2011, 05:02:18 PM »
Burnhearts announced today that they tapped a barrel of 2010 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout...I will be stopping in tonight for a glass...should be nicely aged now at about a year.

feedback