[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644588 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #700 on: September 16, 2011, 07:03:47 PM »
Grand Rapids, Michigan, September 1, 2011—Founders Brewing Co. Vice President/Director of Marketing Dave Engbers announced last month that the highly anticipated Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) will be the second release in the company’s 750mL “Backstage Series”. It will be released to the market on October 3, 2011, with a taproom release party on October 1.

The taproom release at 235 Grandville Ave SE in downtown Grand Rapids will begin at 11 a.m. on October 1. There will be about 1700 bottles available for purchase at $18 each. A strict limit of two (2) bottles per person will apply, and all bottles will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Because a line is expected to form before 11 a.m., numbers will be handed out so that the line can remain intact once the taproom doors open. CBS will be featured on draft, and CBS merchandise will be available in the Founders company store, which is on the north end of the taproom. As with all Founders specialty products, growler fills will not be available for CBS.

There has been a great deal of anticipation and speculation regarding the upcoming release after the success of Blushing Monk, the series’ debut, earlier this year. Canadian Breakfast Stout is the epitome of why Founders launched the Backstage Series: it brings some of the brewery’s most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup. The final product has had stellar reviews and is currently the fifth highest rated beer in the world on www.BeerAdvocate.com.

“Releasing small specialty batches is a great way for us to connect to our core beer enthusiast,” Engbers explains. “Fundamentally, we are a small brewery, and we love to do things our own way. This isn’t about flooding the shelves with a beer that we hope people will try; it’s about producing the best damn beer we can brew and offering it to those enthusiasts who have supported our passion for great beer.”

The company is not revealing any additional releases in the series, but Engbers says they will consist of many of the “popular one-offs” that have been offered in the taproom over the years and have become favorites among patrons and brewery staff. “I think part of what people love about Founders, besides our beer, is that we listen to what they are saying,” says President Mike Stevens. “With our new line, now we can offer them more of what they’ve been asking for.”

The company expects to release one more product in the 2011 Backstage Series later this year.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:11:53 AM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #701 on: September 18, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »
Grand Rapids, Michigan, September 1, 2011—Founders Brewing Co. Vice President/Director of Marketing Dave Engbers announced last month that the highly anticipated Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) will be the second release in the company’s 750mL “Backstage Series”. It will be released to the market on October 3, 2011, with a taproom release party on October 1.

The taproom release at 235 Grandville Ave SE in downtown Grand Rapids will begin at 11 a.m. on October 1. There will be about 1700 bottles available for purchase at $18 each. A strict limit of two (2) bottles per person will apply, and all bottles will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Because a line is expected to form before 11 a.m., numbers will be handed out so that the line can remain intact once the taproom doors open. CBS will be featured on draft, and CBS merchandise will be available in the Founders company store, which is on the north end of the taproom. As with all Founders specialty products, growler fills will not be available for CBS.

There has been a great deal of anticipation and speculation regarding the upcoming release after the success of Blushing Monk, the series’ debut, earlier this year. Canadian Breakfast Stout is the epitome of why Founders launched the Backstage Series: it brings some of the brewery’s most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup. The final product has had stellar reviews and is currently the fifth highest rated beer in the world on www.BeerAdvocate.com.

“Releasing small specialty batches is a great way for us to connect to our core beer enthusiast,” Engbers explains. “Fundamentally, we are a small brewery, and we love to do things our own way. This isn’t about flooding the shelves with a beer that we hope people will try; it’s about producing the best damn beer we can brew and offering it to those enthusiasts who have supported our passion for great beer.”

The company is not revealing any additional releases in the series, but Engbers says they will consist of many of the “popular one-offs” that have been offered in the taproom over the years and have become favorites among patrons and brewery staff. “I think part of what people love about Founders, besides our beer, is that we listen to what they are saying,” says President Mike Stevens. “With our new line, now we can offer them more of what they’ve been asking for.”

The company expects to release one more product in the 2011 Backstage Series later this year.

pipe down about this...some of us are trying to get our hands on it...shhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #702 on: September 19, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
meh, CBS doesn't do it for me - I have yet to try a beer with maple flavors that I liked - I'll take KBS over CBS everytime  ;D

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #703 on: October 07, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »
Was anyone able to land some CBS? It was crazy around here, most of it sold before it even got off the trucks.

The Palm tapped a keg of it last night. I went down for a few glasses. Pretty damn good stuff.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #704 on: October 08, 2011, 12:59:40 AM »
Had this on nitro at Sheffield's in Chicago this past weekend for the first time.  Beer lives up to the hype, really creamy and definitely a stout you can drink as a session beer.

Holy hell, the world is in trouble, technology is letting them bottle the Nitro stuff now...

www.lefthandbrewing.com/beers/milk-stout-nitro

Had one tonight - doesn't disappoint.  Here's a blog about it (not mine):
http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2011/09/milk_stout_nitro_left_hand_bre.php
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 01:01:29 AM by rocky_warrior »

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #705 on: October 08, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »
Rocky, where are you located.  The articles I've read on this say it's only going to be available in CO through the end of the year, and then they'll distribute to the rest of their states.

I might have to drive to Sheffield's today to get one on draft if they don't have it in Chi/Mke yet.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #706 on: October 08, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »
Holy hell, the world is in trouble, technology is letting them bottle the Nitro stuff now...

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2011/09/milk_stout_nitro_left_hand_bre.php

Was gone at the restaurant I went to last night... I was disappointed that I had to settle for some FFF Dreadnaught.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #707 on: October 09, 2011, 12:34:03 AM »

oh. my. god.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #708 on: October 15, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
As it combines two of my favorite things (not the island) I picked up a 6-er of Arbor Brewing Company's Mackinac Island Fudge Stout the other day. It was... okay I guess. For the relatively hefty price tag and the promise of pounds upon pounds of fudge, I was pretty underwhelmed.  Its possible I was expecting too much, but it seemed like a pretty run of the mill stout out of a bottle to me.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #709 on: October 15, 2011, 09:12:48 PM »
Had a bomber of this last night...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/72975

MEH.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #710 on: October 17, 2011, 08:51:49 AM »
I tried Guiness Black lager and New Glarus' Chocolate Abbey this weekend. Liked the black lager but the chocolate abbey not so much, just too much chocolate in there for my taste but I like to see New Glarus continue to mix it up with their Thumbprint series of brews.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #711 on: October 17, 2011, 03:53:03 PM »
Had a bomber of this last night...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/72975

MEH.

This on draught is much, much better then the bottle.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #712 on: October 17, 2011, 05:01:57 PM »
Rocky, where are you located.  The articles I've read on this say it's only going to be available in CO through the end of the year, and then they'll distribute to the rest of their states.

Yes, I'm in CO, and worse, I have a 2 mile commute, which includes passing by Left Hand brewery to get between work and home.  So, I'm in Left Hand ground zero, and it sounds like the rest of the states are safe for another month or two.

They are selling the Nitro bottles for a premium, so it's more of a special treat, unless you're an addict.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #713 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »
Yes, I'm in CO, and worse, I have a 2 mile commute, which includes passing by Left Hand brewery to get between work and home.  So, I'm in Left Hand ground zero, and it sounds like the rest of the states are safe for another month or two.

They are selling the Nitro bottles for a premium, so it's more of a special treat, unless you're an addict.

What's the premium? Also, could you include shipping to Northern Illinois into that premium? Also, could you include your time spent getting to the post office and sending said premium beer to me?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #714 on: October 18, 2011, 03:44:58 PM »
What's the premium? Also, could you include shipping to Northern Illinois into that premium? Also, could you include your time spent getting to the post office and sending said premium beer to me?

If your in New Hampshire or North Dakota, you're all set.  But this is the only local place I found that can ship beer, and even then, two states isn't a very long list.  Probably time to make a road trip to CO!

http://www.liquormart.com/left-hand-milk-stout-nitro.html

p.s. - I should note that it's been a long time since i shopped liquor stores in other states, but often micro brew is cheaper here than Bud/Miller/Coors products.  So, $10 for a 6 pack is a premium to me, but might not be for you.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:49:09 PM by rocky_warrior »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #715 on: October 18, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »
If your in New Hampshire or North Dakota, you're all set.  But this is the only local place I found that can ship beer, and even then, two states isn't a very long list.  Probably time to make a road trip to CO!

Maybe it's time for this Mpretty boy to set up a PO Box in NH.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #716 on: October 18, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »
If your in New Hampshire or North Dakota, you're all set.  But this is the only local place I found that can ship beer, and even then, two states isn't a very long list.  Probably time to make a road trip to CO!

p.s. - I should note that it's been a long time since i shopped liquor stores in other states, but often micro brew is cheaper here than Bud/Miller/Coors products.  So, $10 for a 6 pack is a premium to me, but might not be for you.

$10 for a 6 pack of nitro stout is probably about $2-3 bucks cheaper than what it will sell for here in Chicago.  Most 6 packs of Founders/3 Floyds/Left Hand are at the $10-11 price point.  That's before the Cook County liquor tax nails you.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #717 on: October 18, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »
$10 for a 6 pack of nitro stout is probably about $2-3 bucks cheaper than what it will sell for here in Chicago.  Most 6 packs of Founders/3 Floyds/Left Hand are at the $10-11 price point.  That's before the Cook County liquor tax nails you.

that would be a great deal here in madison.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #718 on: October 20, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
anyone know anything about this joint?

http://www.bigbaybrewing.com/

There's a groupon for $20 that gets you a beer tasting for two, two pint glasses, and a sixer.  Worth it?

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #719 on: October 20, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
anyone know anything about this joint?

http://www.bigbaybrewing.com/

There's a groupon for $20 that gets you a beer tasting for two, two pint glasses, and a sixer.  Worth it?

Never been to the brewery but have had both the Boatilla and Wavehopper - good, but nothing special.  I'd be interested to check out the brewery though.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #720 on: October 20, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
I read that they do all of their brewing at Milwaukee Brew Co.

I'm all for entrepreneurial purveyors of suds, but I think I'm going to start avoiding these "virtual" breweries... if you can't so much as operate an extract system in-house, calling yourself a brewery just seems dishonest.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #721 on: October 20, 2011, 01:05:24 PM »
I read that they do all of their brewing at Milwaukee Brew Co.

I'm all for entrepreneurial purveyors of suds, but I think I'm going to start avoiding these "virtual" breweries... if you can't so much as operate an extract system in-house, calling yourself a brewery just seems dishonest.

So no contract brewing like Sam Adams? (Miller brews the majority of Sam Adams beer) Futhermore contracts almost everything at Central Waters. Hell, PBR and Old Style are brewed by Miller.

Contract brewing is part of the industry that keeps it profitable. If every brewery just brewed their own their own beer their would be a lot of wasted brewing time. Trust me, contract brewing is needed - it's how small breweries get their start. They are just using brewing capacity that would go unused.
But I like to throw handfuls...

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #722 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
Local brewery Lift Bridge contracted out "down time" at the Fulton Brewery until they could earn/raise enough money to build their own brewery which they have now.  Boycotting their great beer could have nixed their plans to open their own brewery. 

http://www.liftbridgebrewery.com/home.aspx

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #723 on: October 20, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
So no contract brewing like Sam Adams? (Miller brews the majority of Sam Adams beer) Futhermore contracts almost everything at Central Waters. Hell, PBR and Old Style are brewed by Miller.

Contract brewing is part of the industry that keeps it profitable. If every brewery just brewed their own their own beer their would be a lot of wasted brewing time. Trust me, contract brewing is needed - it's how small breweries get their start. They are just using brewing capacity that would go unused.

I'm talking contract brewing at the "Brew-Pub" level, not the commercial or craft level.  If you want to call yourself a brewery, at least buy a 5 gallon starter bucket and make a batch once in a while.  I'll give credit to Lift Bridge because I suspect they were the ones controlling the process and at least had the intent of building their own brewery.  I don't get that impression with Big Bay, but I could be wrong.

Call me Darwinistic when it comes to beer... one of the things that bothers me is that if you're simply giving a recipe to someone else and picking up your kegs a few weeks later, there's no evolution, no experimentation, and no furthering of the art or science.  You're serving the same stuff over and over again, and unless you got it perfect the first time, it's never going to improve.  I suppose I just have slightly higher expectations when I go to a place that advertises itself as a brew-pub or brewery... I don't want the same old beer, I want something new, different and at some stage of refining.  I like to talk to the brewmaster when I can and offer my feedback if asked.  I'm just doing my part to make society happier (if beer makes us happy, better beer makes us happier).

Sorry... this just touched a stray nerve today.  It's been a craptacular day at the office and all I want to do is go home to rack & dry-hop my IPA tonight.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #724 on: October 20, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
I see your point clearly now and I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Your assumption about Lift Bridge is also 100% accurate.

I'm talking contract brewing at the "Brew-Pub" level, not the commercial or craft level.  If you want to call yourself a brewery, at least buy a 5 gallon starter bucket and make a batch once in a while.  I'll give credit to Lift Bridge because I suspect they were the ones controlling the process and at least had the intent of building their own brewery.  I don't get that impression with Big Bay, but I could be wrong.

Call me Darwinistic when it comes to beer... one of the things that bothers me is that if you're simply giving a recipe to someone else and picking up your kegs a few weeks later, there's no evolution, no experimentation, and no furthering of the art or science.  You're serving the same stuff over and over again, and unless you got it perfect the first time, it's never going to improve.  I suppose I just have slightly higher expectations when I go to a place that advertises itself as a brew-pub or brewery... I don't want the same old beer, I want something new, different and at some stage of refining.  I like to talk to the brewmaster when I can and offer my feedback if asked.  I'm just doing my part to make society happier (if beer makes us happy, better beer makes us happier).

Sorry... this just touched a stray nerve today.  It's been a craptacular day at the office and all I want to do is go home to rack & dry-hop my IPA tonight.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:15:08 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

feedback