[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644677 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #675 on: June 14, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »
613 S. Second St.

I forget what the cross street is, but it's across the street from the gas station/gyro joint.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #676 on: June 15, 2011, 09:01:13 AM »
Milwaukee Brewing Company tour - where is it? Their website strangely does not give out the GD address.

Might want to get your eyes checked, the address is at the bottom of the webpage.

But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #677 on: June 15, 2011, 09:58:11 AM »
Milwaukee Brewing Company tour - where is it? Their website strangely does not give out the GD address.

have fun and maybe also a designated driver because their beer really flows freely  ;)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #678 on: June 15, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »
Might want to get your eyes checked, the address is at the bottom of the webpage.

Sonnofabitch, you're right.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #679 on: June 15, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »
have fun and maybe also a designated driver because their beer really flows freely  ;)

It'll be a short drive to Summerfest afterwards.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #680 on: June 15, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »
I suggest a short walk.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #681 on: June 15, 2011, 09:55:45 PM »
Built a six pack this weekend, and had a few of them already-

Victory Yakima Glory- I don't know if I got an old bottle, but the one I had wasn't like the reviews I read. Hops were there, but a little more muted. Aroma was nothing special. It was a decent beer. Would like to try it fresh to see if there's any difference.

Ale Asylum Bedlam!- Their Belgian IPA. It was fantastic. All the right flavors, and hid the 7.5% very well. Perfectly balanced, nice fruit/spice notes with bright hops. Really enjoyed this one, definitely recommend it.

Central Waters Illumination- Their DIPA, definitely a beer for hopheads. Big hop aroma, and big hop flavor. Pretty sweet for a double, and the booze was a bit harsh. It got better as it warmed, though. Not bad for the style, but there are better ones out there.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #682 on: June 15, 2011, 10:20:38 PM »
I suggest a short walk.

I'll just hail for a rickshaw then.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #683 on: June 21, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »
FYI>>>

Per their Facebook Page

Founders Brewing Co. (Official)
Tomorrow night (6/22, 7:30pm) meet us at the Bomb Shelter in Milwaukee for a tasting!
Check the link for the beer list.
Bomb Shelter Tasting | Founders Brewing Company http://www.foundersbrewing.com/?event=bomb-shelter-tasting
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #684 on: June 21, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »
^ thanks for the alert - looking at the Bomb Shelter's site it looks like it would be a minimum $17 in fees to participate although that does include beer and an annual Suds club membership

me and a bud or two might make it

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #685 on: July 15, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
Lagunitas Lucky 13.  Lagunitas knows what its doing.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #686 on: July 21, 2011, 11:41:37 PM »
Tried some summery beers lately-

Milwaukee Brewing Co. Saison- Not a bad representation of the style. A little lighter than most saisons, could have used a bit more of that fruity/yeasty taste to it.

Sprecher Summer Pils- Really solid Pilsner. Nice, grainy malt taste, but it had more hops than most domestic pilsners. I'd buy this again.

Victory Summer Love- Nice blonde ale. Had some pilsner characteristics but some bright, citrusy notes. Good summer beer on a hot day.

Pyramid Apricot Ale- Was on special at the bar, and I can see why they were trying to move it. Very, very sweet. Needed more wheat to balance the fruit. I'd much rather have a Magic Hat #9.

New Belgium Somersault- Pleasantly surprised by this beer. Light, but not lacking in complexity. Fruity, citrusy, but balanced with a nice grainy malt taste. Excellent.

Abita Andygator- Decent Helles Bock. Lots of malt, but the hops balanced it out pretty well. Hides the 8% ABV nicely.

Southern Tier Hopsun- Love this beer. Taste profile is similar to Gumballhead, but a little bit lighter. Big hop aroma, but it played well with the wheat. Looking forward to knocking a few of these back this weekend.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #687 on: July 25, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »
Did anyone go to the Milwaukee Brewfest last year?  It is coming up this weekend (July 30) and I was wondering if anyone had any impressions from last year?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #688 on: July 25, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »
Did anyone go to the Milwaukee Brewfest last year?  It is coming up this weekend (July 30) and I was wondering if anyone had any impressions from last year?

i will be attending again this year. last year wasnt bad for a first year. they had way to few bathrooms but i am told they will have 10x more this year. also, they started to run out of beer early so dont come fashionably late.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #689 on: July 25, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
i will be attending again this year. last year wasnt bad for a first year. they had way to few bathrooms but i am told they will have 10x more this year. also, they started to run out of beer early so dont come fashionably late.

website?

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #690 on: July 25, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  I'm planning on getting in a full 4 hours.

Website is...http://milwaukeebrewfest.com/welcome.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #691 on: July 26, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm planning on getting in a full 4 hours.

Website is...http://milwaukeebrewfest.com/welcome.html

Rats, I have a Brewers game on Saturday, so I won't be able to make it :( x100

reinko

• All American
« Reply #692 on: August 01, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »
Looking forward to trying this...anyone ever have any?

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #693 on: August 02, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »
What were people's thoughts on BrewFest? Besides having the humungous line to get into the actual event I had a very good experience.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #694 on: August 02, 2011, 05:29:59 PM »
What were people's thoughts on BrewFest? Besides having the humungous line to get into the actual event I had a very good experience.

I had a good time....and it was run infinitely better than last  year. Long lines at the beginning of beerfests are just something you have to deal with. This line was better than the ones you will see in Madison or Racine - so no complaints here, only had to wait like 15 minutes.

The bathroom issue and the amount of beer issue both fixed over last year. Longest wait I had to pee was like 2 minutes. This was fantastic.

I was also happy with most breweries. A little disappointed with Bells only having Oberon (which I do not like) and Two Hearted (which is always in my fridge). I really wanted to try the Oarsman. Loved seeing Bear Republic there because, well, they make fantastic beer. Racer 5 is in my top 5 beers to drink period. Southern Tiers main beers are nothing to write home about - their strong seasonal ales are much better. North Coasts Old Rasputin was a VERY pleasant surprise to see. It's not stout season in my mind, but was damn happy to see this beer. Tried some Lefthand IPA - it was disgusting. Will stick to their Milk Stout. Upland had Dragonfly there - and like I always say about Upland, "it's the only good thing to come out of Bloomington".

Breweries I wish were there are Three Floyds, Goose and Founders. And I was also surprised to not see New Glarus even though I am not a fan.

All in all, a great day of beer. I am looking forward to next year again.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #695 on: August 13, 2011, 04:39:36 PM »
Sipping on a Unibroue - Maudite

Fan-freaking-tastic.  Malty, full of alcohol, slightly citrus.  just great overall.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #696 on: August 18, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »
I'm playing hookie from my job tomorrow to take the hard hat tour at New Glarus brewery with the wife, really looking forward to this since I had to reserve our spot (only 15 people/week) several months ago. I'm hoping they have a little something different at the R&D brewery for us to sample.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #697 on: August 18, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
I'm playing hookie from my job tomorrow to take the hard hat tour at New Glarus brewery with the wife, really looking forward to this since I had to reserve our spot (only 15 people/week) several months ago. I'm hoping they have a little something different at the R&D brewery for us to sample.
How does one go about reserving a spot?
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #698 on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »
How does one go about reserving a spot?

AFAIK the only way is on their website here: http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/hht/tour/

the next openings are Sept. 9 from the looks of it

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #699 on: August 21, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »
Had a summer solstice from Anderson Valley Brewing Company yesterday.  I really really liked it. Its predictably a summer beer, but is velvety smooth with a huge toasted marshmallow aftertaste. I know, that sounds kind of like wine-o BS, but you've got to try it to believe it. The damn thing tastes like a campfire mallow.