collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644868 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #650 on: May 17, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »
Now, if you like Left Hand's Milk Stout, try to find a place with Lake Louie's Milk Stout on tap.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing.

any info on where to get into this kind of thing in mke? im moving back for the summer after a faaar too long 2 year hiatus. i plan on losing my Romans virginity shortly after getting back. any other similar spots i should be looking into but wouldnt have known about as an undergrad?

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #651 on: May 17, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
any info on where to get into this kind of thing in mke? im moving back for the summer after a faaar too long 2 year hiatus. i plan on losing my Romans virginity shortly after getting back. any other similar spots i should be looking into but wouldnt have known about as an undergrad?

The Sugar Maple keeps an updated list of American craft brewst:  http://mysugarmaple.com/
Bomb Shelter is slightly closer to downtown: http://www.bombshelterbar.com/
Comet cafe isn't as prolific but still good over on the near east side: http://www.thecometcafe.com/COMETdrinks.html
Finally if you're out in the Tosa/Stallis area you can try Benno's (don't let the 1990's era Tripod site fool you, Benno's has a very solid draft selection):  http://bennosbar.tripod.com/ 

Each place has it's own unique ambiance and I'd say try them all and see what you like the best.  For pure selection, I'd say Roman's and Sugar Maple are the best, but sometimes not the most convenient selections.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #652 on: May 17, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »
Romans and Sugar Maple are both excellent for tap selections. Both can be a bit pricey, Roman's is usually more expensive.

I love the Bomb Shelter. They keep a small selection on tap, but their bottled beer selection is huge, and usually kept pretty current. Reasonable prices as well.

Stubby's on Humboldt has a decent selection of taps as well.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #653 on: May 17, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
It's been my experience that the beer list is not updated much at mysugarmaple.com, Romans does a much better job keeping his site current but I love going to both

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #654 on: May 17, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
Been out a lot since last Saturday for Minnesota Craft Beer Week which runs through Friday.  Any recommendations at all, especially for Thursday and Friday?

http://mncraftbeerweek.com/eventcalendar.aspx

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #655 on: May 17, 2011, 05:07:54 PM »
Romans and Sugar Maple are both excellent for tap selections. Both can be a bit pricey, Roman's is usually more expensive.

I love the Bomb Shelter. They keep a small selection on tap, but their bottled beer selection is huge, and usually kept pretty current. Reasonable prices as well.

Stubby's on Humboldt has a decent selection of taps as well.

One major difference between Sugar Maple and Romans is atmosphere. Sugar Maple is like a sterile dentist office devoid of anything (no tv's and an odd feel). Romans (while Mike can be an ass until you get to know him) has 3 large flat screens with sports and usually has good music like the Stones or Springsteen.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #656 on: May 17, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
One major difference between Sugar Maple and Romans is atmosphere. Sugar Maple is like a sterile dentist office devoid of anything (no tv's and an odd feel). Romans (while Mike can be an ass until you get to know him) has 3 large flat screens with sports and usually has good music like the Stones or Springsteen.

True.  Unless you are at Sugar Maple when the live music is playing.
Ludum habemus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #657 on: May 18, 2011, 05:20:32 AM »

Seasonals:
MILK STOUT ~ Released in November to March
A ‘sweet’ style of English Stout made with Lactose from Cow’s Milk. Possessing high amounts
of rich, creamy flavors. Unfiltered. Originally produced by English brewers in the late 1800’s..

I'm not sure they have it in Milwaukee... I can name two places in Madison that have it.

http://www.lakelouie.com/lakelouie2008_003.htm
also, if you go to their "Beer Styles" page, I have 6 Dino's sitting in my fridge right now.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:23:13 AM by Hards_Alumni »

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #658 on: May 19, 2011, 09:30:42 AM »
  Had 2 Left Hand Milk Stouts last night and its a light stout, goes down smooth, session beer. If anyone is interested in Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout 2011 PM me.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #659 on: May 19, 2011, 01:06:43 PM »
  Had 2 Left Hand Milk Stouts last night and its a light stout, goes down smooth, session beer. If anyone is interested in Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout 2011 PM me.

PM sent

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #660 on: May 19, 2011, 09:46:50 PM »
If you're in Kenosha, all three http://www.mikelikesbeer.com/ are amazing pubs with a ginormous beer menu.  Captain Mike's also has EXCELLENT burgers, while Highway Mikes (94 and hwy 50) has great food as well.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #661 on: May 26, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I thought you guys might like this:  The many types of beer.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #662 on: June 02, 2011, 09:30:15 PM »
Went on Sprecher's brewery tour last Saturday and had a couple good beers. Their Summer Pils reminded me of Bitburger. Had a good flavor and strong finish for a pilsner. Also a big fan of the Pub Brown Ale. The only thing I can compare it to from experience is Newcastle but was a lot smoother and more balanced.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #663 on: June 06, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »
finally got my hands on a Left Hand Milk Stout - holy hell. believe the hype. its remarkably smooth the whole way, almost like the entire beer is made of a foamy head. unreal.

Had this on nitro at Sheffield's in Chicago this past weekend for the first time.  Beer lives up to the hype, really creamy and definitely a stout you can drink as a session beer.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #664 on: June 10, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »
the owner of Tyranena is a bit upset about some shenanigans in Madison, and rightly so

http://www.tyranena.com/BadNewsMotion414.pdf

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #665 on: June 10, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »
Had the Tyranena Imperial Rye Porter Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels. I hadn't drank in about a month as I prepared for a test I was taking June 4th, and this was my first beer after the test was over. Holy hell, it reminded me why I got into craft in the first place. This beer was so smooth, creamy, and delicious. It probably helps that I am a huge fan of rye beers to begin with. I definitely recommend if you are in to barrel aged beers.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #666 on: June 10, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »
the owner of Tyranena is a bit upset about some shenanigans in Madison, and rightly so

http://www.tyranena.com/BadNewsMotion414.pdf

Interesting... this post reminds me of a similar petition I received regarding Illinois.  On the surface, it appears to be the same type of shenanigans.

http://maildogmanager.com/page.html?client=aobhtml%3A%3Acid%3D3026%3A%3Adrct%3D1

/puts on tinfoil hat... CONSPIRACY!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #667 on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:42 AM »
Interesting... this post reminds me of a similar petition I received regarding Illinois.  On the surface, it appears to be the same type of shenanigans.

http://maildogmanager.com/page.html?client=aobhtml%3A%3Acid%3D3026%3A%3Adrct%3D1

/puts on tinfoil hat... CONSPIRACY!

They are almost the same bill but here MC is using Bud as the scapegoat. Wisconsin Brewing Laws already suck nuts, if anything they should become less restrictive like Michigan to spurn more growth. Now only if Wisconsin craft breweries were as good as those in Michigan.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #668 on: June 10, 2011, 05:18:08 PM »
They are almost the same bill but here MC is using Bud as the scapegoat. Wisconsin Brewing Laws already suck nuts, if anything they should become less restrictive like Michigan to spurn more growth. Now only if Wisconsin craft breweries were as good as those in Michigan.

+1, horrible

MelissaDaisy99

• Walk-On
« Reply #669 on: June 10, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
I have to put this out there as well- for anyone wanting to try a wide variety of American craft beer, Sugar Maple in Bay View is a must. 60 beers on tap, including many that are next to impossible to find in WI.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #670 on: June 10, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
I have to put this out there as well- for anyone wanting to try a wide variety of American craft beer, Sugar Maple in Bay View is a must. 60 beers on tap, including many that are next to impossible to find in WI.

Yup that place has been widely discussed in this thread. It's a pretty neat bar.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #671 on: June 10, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »

Sugar Maple, while having a lot of taps, has the atmosphere of a dentists office. I will continue to take my business down KK to Roman's - which while having less taps, usually has a better selection. Mike has better relationships than Bruno does.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #672 on: June 10, 2011, 11:27:49 PM »
Tried a few beers recently-

Capital Imperial Dopplebock- Caught this on sale at Ray's as it was going out of season. The cold spring weather has kept it relevant. I'm drawn to any bock from Capital, and this was very good. Deep reddish-brown color, light head, with a sweet malt nose. Very deep sweet toffee flavor, with some spice and light bitterness near the end. It's a big, boozy beer, but still very nice.

Milw. Brewing Pressing 78 Porter- Had this on tap, and was a little disappointed. Pretty thin, not a whole lot of depth to it. Easy enough to drink, but expected more robust flavor in a porter. The Baltic Porter of theirs is much better.

Ommegang Belgian Pale Ale- This is the first beer of this style I've had and I really enjoyed it. Poured a wonderful golden color with a nice head. A great mix of fruitiness, a little of the funky spicy notes from the Belgian yeast, and then the hops balanced it out perfectly. Very crisp and clean.

Ommegang Rare Vos- After the pale ale, I had to go with another one of their beers. This one was just as good, and I'm not typically a big fan of the Belgian style. Beautiful hazy copper color, with a big fruit aroma. Again, perfectly balanced sweetness and bitterness. It was outstanding.

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA- Thanks again to Henry Sugar who recommended them, I can safely say that Dark Horse is shooting up my favorite brewery list. This was the perfect IPA. Enough hops, sessionable at 6.0%, and wonderfully balanced. Can't believe it took me this long to try this beer. Definitely my new go-to IPA.

Dark Horse Raspberry Ale- Picked up a single of it because it seemed intriguing. I'm not a huge fruit beer guy, but based on how good their other beers were, I had to try it. Hazy orange color, with a very nice fruit aroma. Bready, malty, and accented nicely with the fruit. The raspberry notes were dead on, not too sweet and not too tart. Good summer beer.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #673 on: June 13, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
we were drinking beer for Jesus at St. John Vianney yesterday and I was once again reminded of my dislike for MGD  :(

🏀

• All American
« Reply #674 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »
Milwaukee Brewing Company tour - where is it? Their website strangely does not give out the GD address.

feedback