collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644651 times)

Josey Wales

• Starter
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #550 on: January 15, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
Well, definitely need some beers after today's loss. What are you guys drinking?

I have some of the Russian River "tion" beers, Lost Abbey Deliverance, and The Abyss that I brought home from Seattle.

It's also hopslam season! One of the best beers in the known universe. FWI Stubby's has hopslam on firkin next Friday, I will not be missing that for anything.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

reinko

• All American
« Reply #551 on: January 20, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »
Anyone know a good beer store on the East Side?  I'm in the Capital and Oakland are.

Thanks!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #552 on: January 20, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
Otto's on Oakland had a pretty decent selection the one time I was there. Whole Foods has a pretty good selection as well.

Ever since Blatz Liquor closed, Ray's in Tosa has been my go-to.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #553 on: January 20, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
Anyone know a good beer store on the East Side?  I'm in the Capital and Oakland are.

Thanks!

Like mufan12 said, Rays is your best bet. You can also check out Downer Ave Liquor if you are in a pinch on the east side.

I am just happy I picked up my Hopslam minikeg yesterday. Will make for great weekend drinking.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #554 on: January 20, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »
Rays is OK, but for beer, how can you not love Discount Liquor on Oklahoma?  Worth the drive, even from the east side. 
Ludum habemus.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #555 on: January 20, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
Rays is OK, but for beer, how can you not love Discount Liquor on Oklahoma?  Worth the drive, even from the east side. 

+1  hands down.  The beer aisle is a wonderland!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #557 on: January 20, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »

Discount is a crapshoot. They have a bunch of beer, but they don't rotate stock at all, or very often. For craft beer, unless you are cellaring it, you probably don't want it getting much older than 6 mos. Seen some 6 packs there that were a year old.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #558 on: January 20, 2011, 02:00:23 PM »
Rays has always seemed to have a good selection but almost everything is more expensive there especially compared to Discount (except for Discount likes to inflate prices of single bottles of brews like Batch 10000 or KBS at $6/bottle)

Chili

• All American
« Reply #559 on: January 21, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
Discounts stock isnt always fresh. I have routinely seen beers 9 months old still on the shelf. Or even seasonal's from the previous year on the shelf. I would rather pay the extra dollar just to get fresh product rather than old stuff.

Also, I just picked up some mini kegs of Hopslam for $35, can't wait for this weekend. Also, last night Romans' did a tapping of this years version which is smoother than last. I think there may be a more honey it. It is dangerously smooth.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #560 on: January 24, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »
Had a St. Bernardus Abt 12 the other night and this is absolutely delicious. A dark ale, ridiculously smooth and sweet. Also packs a punch at 10.5% ABV.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #561 on: January 26, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
Had a St. Bernardus Abt 12 the other night and this is absolutely delicious. A dark ale, ridiculously smooth and sweet. Also packs a punch at 10.5% ABV.

Those monks sure know what they're doing, thats for sure.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #562 on: January 28, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #563 on: January 28, 2011, 10:11:42 AM »
I'd try the SN Stung Rye IPa, love rye beers, the Grand Teton beers I've tried were all good, Celebrator is one of the best doppels IMO, Bells Double Cream Stout is a personal favorite, the Redhook Eisbock 23 is crap

where is this?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #564 on: January 28, 2011, 10:13:33 AM »
I'd try the SN Stung Rye IPa, love rye beers, the Grand Teton beers I've tried were all good, Celebrator is one of the best doppels IMO, Bells Double Cream Stout is a personal favorite, the Redhook Eisbock 23 is crap

where is this?

Part of the Winter Carnival in downtown St. Paul tomorrow.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #565 on: February 01, 2011, 10:37:05 AM »
I've tried the new black IPAs from both Lakefront and Sprecher, both are OK but I preferred the cascade hoppiness of Lakefront's version

also tried the latest New Glarus Unplugged, Smoked Rye ale, I really like rye beers but I don't much care for the smoked flavor in this release, still have a few more, maybe it will grow on me

Chili

• All American
« Reply #566 on: February 01, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »
In case anyone is wondering, Nomad has KBS on tap right now. Stopped in last Saturday for a beer before the MU game and was pleasantly surprised to see it on tap. So I had three. Good stuff.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #567 on: February 01, 2011, 05:47:03 PM »

The Prior 8 is also very good.

Has anyone had Deus from Brouwerij Bosteels (same crew who does Tripel Karmeliet)?

Had it on Saturday night after the Cuse win. Um, orgasmic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #568 on: February 01, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »
Something I hadn't seen before from a Keweenaw brewing company from the UP of Michigan.    A 6-pack sampler of cans.      Two cans each of three different kinds. So weird I had to buy some.    Beer is fairly generic but tasty.    I just had never seen a microbrew in a can before.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:05:12 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #569 on: February 01, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »
Something I hadn't seen before from a Keweenaw brewing company from the UP of Michigan.    A 6-pack sampler of cans.      Two cans each of three different kinds. So weird I had to buy some.    Beer is fairly generic but tasty.    I just had never seen a microbrew in a can before.  

a lot of oscar blues are in cans. i seem to always taste the aluminum of the can that turned be off. ive always wanted to try their stuff tho

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #570 on: February 03, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »
all of Oscar blues brews are canned not bottled; I've tried a few and really liked one: GUBNA Imperial IPA, the others I tried were the Ten Fidy and Dales Pale ale and thought they were just so-so

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #571 on: February 03, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »
all of Oscar blues brews are canned not bottled; I've tried a few and really liked one: GUBNA Imperial IPA, the others I tried were the Ten Fidy and Dales Pale ale and thought they were just so-so

ill echo you on the dales pale, its just so so. id say the yella pils one is the same. ill have to try the gubna next time im home

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #572 on: February 03, 2011, 04:08:49 PM »
I just had never seen a microbrew in a can before.  

Great beer and winner of many awards.

http://surlybrewing.com/beer/year-round-beers.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #573 on: February 03, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »
If you haven't taken the "Milwaukee Brewing Company" tour, they can all of their beer.  Its a great tour... Cuz its all you can drink!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #574 on: February 07, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »
If you haven't taken the "Milwaukee Brewing Company" tour, they can all of their beer.  Its a great tour... Cuz its all you can drink!

thanks to this post, we took the tour on Saturday, played some bag toss, drank beer, took the tour, drank beer, played more bag toss after tour and drank beer, took our tokens to Stennies and drank more beer

they make many more styles of beer than I knew about, definitely have a higher appreciation for MBC than previously based on product and their efforts as a business to be as 'green' as they can

I wish they would can more than just their most popular brews but I realize printing labels vs. whole cans is more practical for smaller seasonal beers

feedback