[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644679 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #525 on: December 26, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
I have not had that one. The only sam adams I typically buy is the winter pack, I like the chocolate bock and old fezziwig.

Had a chocolate bock last night and it wasn't my favorite. Not awful but average at best.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #526 on: December 27, 2010, 11:49:50 PM »
Just picked up Central Waters Cherry Bourbon Stout. After drinking one, I'm still not really sure what to think of this beer. It is very thin compared to your typical stout. It was weird, some sips tasted like a bourbon bomb mess; other sips tasted like a delicious bourbon soaked cherry covered in chocolate. I am glad I bought 4 because I really don't have a feel for this beer after just the one.

Just had the normal Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout. I thought this was much better than the cherry version. Not quite on par with the Goose Island offerings, but still a very good beer.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #527 on: December 28, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »
how is this for a stout taste test?

Old Rasputin 12th anniversary (100 pts on rate beer)
Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout (100 pts on rate beer)
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (99 pts on rate beer)
Founders Oatmeal Stout - one of my favorites but only 92 pts on rate beer
Rogue Imperial Stout (100 pts on rate beer)

I was in love with all of them - but the Old Rasputin was the best of the bunch, all were great...

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:19:48 PM by madtownwarrior »

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #528 on: December 28, 2010, 10:52:37 PM »
how is this for a stout taste test?

Old Rasputin 12th anniversary (100 pts on rate beer)
Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout (100 pts on rate beer)
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (99 pts on rate beer)
Founders Oatmeal Stout - one of my favorites but only 92 pts on rate beer
Rogue Imperial Stout (100 pts on rate beer)

I was in love with all of them - but the Old Rasputin was the best of the bunch, all were great...

Nice, where was this? I really liked the world wide stout I had on tap a couple weeks ago. I'd love to try that Founders Oatmeal, they do a great job with stouts.
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #529 on: December 29, 2010, 07:32:33 AM »

I assembled the tasting myself after a trip to Ray's - they had some very nice high-end beers...

Nice, where was this? I really liked the world wide stout I had on tap a couple weeks ago. I'd love to try that Founders Oatmeal, they do a great job with stouts.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #530 on: December 29, 2010, 09:43:39 AM »
Found a fantastic stout over the weekend. Limited quantities, so good luck stocking up on it.

I can't pronounce the brewery, but the beer is called "Godless"
http://beernews.org/2010/05/godless-beer-makes-long-awaited-journey-to-the-states/

99 rating on RateBeer.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/djaevlebryg-gudelos/92580/1/11/

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #531 on: December 29, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »
we stopped at Romans to celebrate the big 5-O last night, Dark Horse Scotty Karate and Ayinger Celebrator on tap are both excellent IMO

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #532 on: December 30, 2010, 07:49:38 AM »
Special Holiday Ale - collaboration between Nøgne Ø, Jolly Pumpkin, and Stone Brewing.  I think the prime is Nøgne Ø on brewing.  This was well worth drinking if you're into the holiday ales.  Very rich, spicy and good for Christmas.

Thanks to this thread, I had some of the Bells Batch 10000 last night.  I'll probably pick up some more.  Very enjoyable.

we stopped at Romans to celebrate the big 5-O last night, Dark Horse Scotty Karate and Ayinger Celebrator on tap are both excellent IMO

Congratulations.  And, Scotty Karate is my favorite Scotch Ale.  That beer rocks.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #533 on: December 30, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »
Is anyone heading to Roman's on New Years Eve? I believe they are tapping a keg of Canadian Breakfast Stout.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #534 on: December 30, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »
Is anyone heading to Roman's on New Years Eve? I believe they are tapping a keg of Canadian Breakfast Stout.

Since it is 4 blocks from house I will swinging over to see Mike. He is tapping CBS along with Bell's Batch 10,000 & 9,000 as well as Goose Island Sofie and some other stuff.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #535 on: December 30, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
Since it is 4 blocks from house I will swinging over to see Mike. He is tapping CBS along with Bell's Batch 10,000 & 9,000 as well as Goose Island Sofie and some other stuff.

Awesome, do you know what time he will be tapping them? Specifically the CBS.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Chili

• All American
« Reply #536 on: December 31, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »
Awesome, do you know what time he will be tapping them? Specifically the CBS.

opens at 6pm. i would think he would tap it around 2pm to let it settle and pressurize properly.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #537 on: January 03, 2011, 04:21:53 PM »
a group of 6 of us stopped in early, the CBS & 10000were on tap when the place opened

I didn't care for the maple in the CBS just like I didn't like the 2009 Nemesis with maple, no more maple in beers for me. I'm not as fond of the 10000 as I was at first, too much going on in that beer I think.

My favorite beer on tap at Romans right now is the Ayinger Celebrator, I 've always liked bottles of that and on tap it's really good, one of the best doppels IMO

my brother brought me a bottle of the Central Waters bourbon barrel stout Saturday, I can't anything anything to not like about that unless it's price, the sticker on it read $5.99 I believe, pretty pricey for any beer at retail

does anyone watch Drinking Made Easy with Zane Lamprey on HDNet? Last week featured Milwaukee with visits to Wolski's, the Holler House, Safe House, Bomb Shelter, Bryants and some east side bar with dead scorpions in shots. Very interesting/funny stuff. According to the bartender at Wolski's, serving beer backs with a Bloody Mary is really just a local Milwaukee thing - is that right? I never thought about it before.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:25:24 PM by Homebrew101 »

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #538 on: January 03, 2011, 09:21:45 PM »

My favorite beer on tap at Romans right now is the Ayinger Celebrator, I 've always liked bottles of that and on tap it's really good, one of the best doppels IMO

my brother brought me a bottle of the Central Waters bourbon barrel stout Saturday, I can't anything anything to not like about that unless it's price, the sticker on it read $5.99 I believe, pretty pricey for any beer at retail

I love the Celebrator too, great beer.

I wonder where he bought the Central Waters? I spent 10.50 for a 4 pack...
BEARS STILL SUCK

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #539 on: January 03, 2011, 10:53:21 PM »
a group of 6 of us stopped in early, the CBS & 10000were on tap when the place opened

I didn't care for the maple in the CBS just like I didn't like the 2009 Nemesis with maple, no more maple in beers for me. I'm not as fond of the 10000 as I was at first, too much going on in that beer I think.

does anyone watch Drinking Made Easy with Zane Lamprey on HDNet? Last week featured Milwaukee with visits to Wolski's, the Holler House, Safe House, Bomb Shelter, Bryants and some east side bar with dead scorpions in shots. Very interesting/funny stuff. According to the bartender at Wolski's, serving beer backs with a Bloody Mary is really just a local Milwaukee thing - is that right? I never thought about it before.

how is that show? i enjoyed three sheets (same host)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #540 on: January 04, 2011, 09:16:56 AM »
how is that show? i enjoyed three sheets (same host)

it's good but I liked 3 Sheets better because of the international flavor it offered; this one was filmed throughout the US while he was doing a comedy tour last summer, it does have Steve McKenna in every episode which is a plus

btw, according to Zane's website, he just inked a deal to make another season of 3 Sheets episodes with an unnamed network

Chili

• All American
« Reply #541 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »
it's good but I liked 3 Sheets better because of the international flavor it offered; this one was filmed throughout the US while he was doing a comedy tour last summer, it does have Steve McKenna in every episode which is a plus

btw, according to Zane's website, he just inked a deal to make another season of 3 Sheets episodes with an unnamed network

Network is Spike. As of right now they are just reruns of old Three Sheets episodes.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #542 on: January 04, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »
Network is Spike. As of right now they are just reruns of old Three Sheets episodes.

I think Spike only will have reruns - from his site and dated 12/26:
Also  "Three Sheets" will be premiering in February on a new network and we'll be shooting 24 more episodes of "Drinking Made Easy" across the US!

Chili

• All American
« Reply #543 on: January 04, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »
I think Spike only will have reruns - from his site and dated 12/26:

it's spike. he sent out hints to the network via twitter a few weeks back. now for drinking made easy....that is still on hd net and will be the new show for the next year.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #544 on: January 10, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »
Went to "Beer Class" last night (which is really just a glorified tasting and that's no problem).  The subject last night was "winter warmers", so we had plenty of stouts, doppelbocks, barleywines.

Aventinus - wheat doppelbock (2003)
Lagunitas - Cappucino Stout
Dark Horse - Too Cream Stout
Two Brothers - Northwinds Imperial Stout
Stone - Double Bastard
Great Divide - Old Ruffian
Kulmbacher - Eisbock
Anchor Steam - Old Foghorn Barleywine
North Coast - Old Rasputin
North Coast - Old Ale
====
Might be missing one or two.  I'd already had and enjoyed the Too Cream Stout, Double Bastard, and Northwinds Imperial Stout.  All great.

Consensus with our group was that the Aventinus and the North Coast beers were the best.  My personal favorite was Old Ruffian. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #545 on: January 10, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »
Oh yeah - had a "Lucky Bastard" on tap at the local Cheeky Monk a couple nights ago.  Great beer - better than any of the other Bastards I've had (and I like those too...).

"Lukcy Basartd is a dry-hopped meeting-of-the-Bastards in a in-the-fermenter-blend of Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Bastard Ale…with a perfect balance of the essence of OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale."

edit: Oh - it really is spelled "Lukcy" - damn this page is hard to read...
http://www.arrogantbastard.com/lukcybasartd/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:25:20 PM by rocky_warrior »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #546 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:18 PM »
Going to the St. Paul Winter Carnival Beer Dabbler on 1/29.....$25.

http://www.thebeerdabbler.com/winter/list.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #547 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:38 PM »
Oh...and...for anyone in or getting to Colorado soon...

Get ready for the next installment of Boulder Beer Company's BEER RAVE! Featuring only high-quality, out-of-state brews that are EXTREMELY hard to find here in Colorado, this is not your standard beer tasting event. $30 admission includes all samples of these hard-to-find craft beers, plus a commemorative tasting cup. Also on tap will be 9 small-batch and specialty brews from Boulder Beer Company. SATURDAY, JANUARY 29th, 6-9pm. Hosted by the mysterious Brewmaster DMZ.

http://boulderbeer.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=116&osCsid=55fb7a843b0462468f3b72ba992dc455

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #548 on: January 10, 2011, 02:28:30 PM »
Going to the St. Paul Winter Carnival Beer Dabbler on 1/29.....$25.

http://www.thebeerdabbler.com/winter/list.html

Hah! You just beat my Beer Rave post.  1/29 is a great day for Beer I guess.   The Beer Dabbler looks like a great event!

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #549 on: January 10, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Hah! You just beat my Beer Rave post.  1/29 is a great day for Beer I guess.   The Beer Dabbler looks like a great event!

It is hooked up with the St. Paul Winter Carnival which goes from 1/27 - 2/6.

http://www.winter-carnival.com/