[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644697 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #500 on: November 22, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »
Did anyone make it to this? I'm curious what they tapped.

we were there, Bruno had tapped Backwoods Bastard too early, the keg blew on Saturday so last night was only Red RyePA, Dirty Bastard and Harvest Ale

the only thing special was food, it was actually literally, a sausage fest with elk, pheasant, boar, duck, some sort of brat I forgot (apple maybe) and potato sausages, buy a Founders tap and get a plate of sausage

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #501 on: November 26, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
About to take a trip into the unknown here with a 1L bottle of Sprecher IPA2 Double IPA.  Better be good since it cost $16.00...

Hand numbered 9258.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #502 on: November 26, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »
I had a Lagunitas Sonoma Farmhouse Hop Stoopid Double IPA this afternoon (ironically, while we were wine tasting in Sonoma, but I needed something different for lunch).

Very good.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/lagunitas-sonoma-farmhouse-hop-stoopid/69933/

reinko

• All American
« Reply #503 on: November 26, 2010, 08:35:34 PM »
What's the verdict Hards?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #504 on: November 27, 2010, 05:03:04 AM »
What's the verdict Hards?

subpar as usual for sprecher

what a joke.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #505 on: December 06, 2010, 01:10:40 PM »
I tried a bottle of Bell's Batch 10,000, the last batch beer they say they are making. This one has 100 types of malt and 60 types of hops in it FWIW. I did not care for Batch 9000 at all but this Batch 10,000 was fantastic IMO.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #506 on: December 06, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »
I tried a bottle of Bell's Batch 10,000, the last batch beer they say they are making. This one has 100 types of malt and 60 types of hops in it FWIW. I did not care for Batch 9000 at all but this Batch 10,000 was fantastic IMO.

i have heard the exact same things about 10k vs. 9k. Roman's has a barrel which he is going to age for a bit. Cannot wait.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #507 on: December 08, 2010, 06:15:59 AM »

Just picked up a bottle at discount. Interesting beer, obviously with a lot going on. I never tried the 9,000 but I did enjoy the 10,000. It just didn't blow me away. If it were a regular beer sold in six-packs or bombers I probably wouldn't buy it consistently considering what else is out there, but I'm glad I tried it once. I'd be very interested in trying it again with a year or two on it.

Also, in regards to Romans, rumor is he's tapping CBS around new years eve. Can't wait!

Unrelated: why does it say you only have 19 posts, when it seems that you have many more than that?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:18:47 AM by Josey Wales »
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #508 on: December 08, 2010, 06:46:48 AM »
Superbar posts are like exhibition games.  Nice practice, but they don't count
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #509 on: December 08, 2010, 10:41:43 AM »
Unrelated: why does it say you only have 19 posts, when it seems that you have many more than that?

probably because my posts are so meaningful they make a bigger impression  ;)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #510 on: December 08, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
Also, in regards to Romans, rumor is he's tapping CBS around new years eve. Can't wait!

I spoke with Mike and Brian last week and it will be tapped on NYE. The party will probably start around 3pm.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #511 on: December 11, 2010, 12:10:03 PM »
Anyone watch the Brewmasters show on Discovery?  Just watched an episode on Dogfishhead where they had to dump 20k gallons of 120min IPA.  Yikes, that's a lot of cash.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #512 on: December 11, 2010, 12:16:56 PM »
Anyone watch the Brewmasters show on Discovery?  Just watched an episode on Dogfishhead where they had to dump 20k gallons of 120min IPA.  Yikes, that's a lot of cash.

Ya I've been watching it. That was my favorite episode so far. I felt terrible watching that beer float down the drain.
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #513 on: December 13, 2010, 10:08:58 AM »
I thought they'd mix those 20,000 gallons with another beer and call it their 2010 Anniversary beer or something like that

for the record, I've never dumped a batch out in close to 20 years of brewing  ;)

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #514 on: December 13, 2010, 10:17:42 AM »
They discussed, but were committed to maintaining the quality/integrity of their product.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #515 on: December 17, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
Had three good ones in the past month

Two Brothers Heavier Handed - this is one of my favorite beers, and it was a lot of fun.  It's their seasonal wet hop IPA (Heavy Handed) that is then aged in Oak Foudres.  Frankly, I like it more than 3F BrooDoo, and I really like BrooDoo.  The fun part is that this year it only comes in 3 liter bottles.  Yes, a 3L bottle is even bigger than you would think.  Great beer to bring to a party.

Goose Island Vanilla BCS - I liked it a lot more than the regular BCS.  The vanilla notes are a very nice touch that help smooth out the alcoholy taste.

Stone Double Bastard - Also very good.

Also, saw my first episode of Brewmasters last night.  loved.  it.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #516 on: December 19, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Had a couple new one's recently.

Three Floyds Alpha Klaus. Really really good beer. A christmas porter, and pretty heavy on the hops. Not as good as the intelligencer I had a few weeks ago, but definitely a world class porter. Pick this up if you are into winter warmers or porters.

Bruery 3 French Hens on tap at Sugar Maple. Wow, this was a great beer. It is a belgian quad, but had some great fruity flavors in there. Real easy to drink. I haven't tried it from the bottle, but I loved it on tap.

Goose Island Bourbon Country Stout on tap at Sugar Maple. At 13% this was pretty boozy, but good. I actually liked it more than the Coffee version I had. I'd really like the try the Vanilla and Rare.

And, as always, celebration is drinking great again this year.

BEARS STILL SUCK

reinko

• All American
« Reply #517 on: December 19, 2010, 06:18:53 PM »
Live out in Boston, so most Sam Adams to me are fairly pedestrian, but have enjoyed a handful of Sam Adams "Boston Ale".  Smooth, good flavor, not a huge bite.  Reccomend!

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #518 on: December 19, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
Live out in Boston, so most Sam Adams to me are fairly pedestrian, but have enjoyed a handful of Sam Adams "Boston Ale".  Smooth, good flavor, not a huge bite.  Reccomend!

I have not had that one. The only sam adams I typically buy is the winter pack, I like the chocolate bock and old fezziwig.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #519 on: December 20, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »
Stone Double Bastard - Also very good.

that's my favorite Bastard, haven't found it in months, hope your post is evidence that it's available again

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #520 on: December 20, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »
that's my favorite Bastard, haven't found it in months, hope your post is evidence that it's available again

They've had it consistently at my local (western Chicago burbs) Whole Foods for about three weeks.  Lucky Bastard is also being carried.  There is even a 3L bottle available of the Double.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #521 on: December 20, 2010, 11:39:21 PM »
Been awhile since I've contributed to this thread, and since then I've tried a few. So here goes...

Central Waters Peruvian Morning- Had this on tap from a barrel that had been cellared for a year. Unbelievable. The best coffee stout I've had. It's an imperial that is aged in bourbon barrels, and carries a nice ABV. Coffee backbone, with vanilla/caramel notes, and a surprisingly smooth finish for a higher alcohol beer. Really tasty.

Bells Batch 10,000- Picked up a single of this one, and echo a lot of the sentiments here. I could tell there was a lot going on, but was impressed with the fact that the beer had a direction. Some beers are a hodge-podge and taste like one. This was a flavorful, complex, cohesive beer.

Capital Tett Doppelbock- I have a soft spot for Capital since I know a few people over there from a prior job, so I may be a bit biased. But they do bocks really, really well.  This one was beautiful. 8% ABV, but there's no way you could have known that. Poured a beautiful dark amber, had the signature caramel and toasted maltiness, balanced by mild hop bitterness. Drinks way too easy for the style.

Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus- FINALLY got a bottle of this. One of the most unique beers I've had. At first smell and sip, you think it's a traditional porter. Then the hops come up. It was unexpected, but I really liked the complexity and balance of this one. Not too heavy, not too roasty, and not too hoppy. Could sip this one all night.

A couple other notes-

-After watching Brewmasters, I realized I haven't sampled enough Dogfish beers. Picked up bottles of Palo Santo Marron, Midas Touch, and Chicory Stout. The Palo Santo was delicious. A brown ale on PED's. Loved the caramel notes, but I had the feeling that they kinda jacked up the ABV unnecessarily. It was almost too boozy, if possible. The Midas Touch I liked once it warmed a bit. Right out of the fridge it was alright, but as it warmed I got more of the grain, citrus, and alcohol notes. Complex, but a fairly easy drinking beer. The Chicory Stout was good, nothing terribly spectacular about it, but a solid addition to the winter stout rotation.

-When in KC for the CBE, I was able to tour the Boulevard Brewery with a group of alums. Beautiful facility, and the beer was pretty solid as well. Drank quite a bit of the Pale Ale, but the highlight was the Dry Stout on nitro. So, so good. Could down that beer all night.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:51:03 AM by MUfan12 »

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #522 on: December 20, 2010, 11:49:59 PM »

Stone has pulled out of Wisconsin... get it while you can.
BEARS STILL SUCK

parkerj

• Walk-On
« Reply #523 on: December 21, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »
Capital Tett Doppelbock- I have a soft spot for Capital since I know a few people over there from a prior job, so I may be a bit biased. But they do bocks really, really well.  This one was beautiful. 8% ABV, but there's no way you could have known that. Poured a beautiful dark amber, had the signature caramel and toasted maltiness, balanced by mild hop bitterness. Drinks way too easy for the style.

i don't see any bias, totally agree (though maybe i'm biased too :P)...Capital's doppelbocks are great

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #524 on: December 26, 2010, 01:41:27 AM »
Just picked up Central Waters Cherry Bourbon Stout. After drinking one, I'm still not really sure what to think of this beer. It is very thin compared to your typical stout. It was weird, some sips tasted like a bourbon bomb mess; other sips tasted like a delicious bourbon soaked cherry covered in chocolate. I am glad I bought 4 because I really don't have a feel for this beer after just the one.
BEARS STILL SUCK

feedback