[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644777 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #475 on: October 11, 2010, 10:01:23 AM »
We stopped at a bar Saturday that had a sign up Top of the Hops for $2/bottle. I'd never heard of it, turns out it's Chameleon Brewing which is Randy Sprecher's new business. I was not impressed at all, it did not seem like a finished/professional offering, semi-flat, reminded me of a rookie homebrew batch.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #476 on: October 28, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
Just picked the new New Glarus beer - Back Forty Bock.

IMO a very good beer, on the light side for a bock but very tasty and drinkable.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #477 on: November 03, 2010, 12:25:58 AM »
Toasting tonight's events with a Broo Doo. First time I've had it. Holy balls. Possibly the perfect IPA.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #478 on: November 03, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »
Toasting tonight's events with a Broo Doo. First time I've had it. Holy balls. Possibly the perfect IPA.

I told you. Though, it does not age well so drink up.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #479 on: November 11, 2010, 10:06:20 AM »
one of the beers I always love to drink when we go to Jamaica but could never buy here is finally available in the USA - Guiness Foreign Extra Stout. It's the best stout Guiness makes IMO and definitely different from their others at 7.5% ABV

now only if Dragon stout would be sold here (again)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #480 on: November 11, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »
one of the beers I always love to drink when we go to Jamaica but could never buy here is finally available in the USA - Guiness Foreign Extra Stout. It's the best stout Guiness makes IMO and definitely different from their others at 7.5% ABV

Tuesday, September 28th is National Drink Beer Day! As if you didn't already have reason to raise a pint, GUINNESS(r) Irish Stout is proud to announce its U.S. launch of GUINNESS(r) Foreign Extra Stout (FES) on October 1st. The fullest in flavor of the GUINNESS brand variants, GUINNESS FES is carbonated unlike the nitrogenated GUINNESS Draught with which most Americans are familiar. The specialty beer is 7.5% ABV and possesses strong, roasted aromas followed by a unique bittersweet taste. Foreign Extra Stout is already a favorite of many around the world, making up 45% of GUINNESS sales globally, and is sure to be a favorite of beer aficionados here in the U.S.

http://beeradvocate.com/news/3055116

🏀

• All American
« Reply #481 on: November 11, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »
I tried Moon Man. First three went down real good, but the remainder of the six pack got boring for me. I've yet to be overly impressed with anything out of New Glarus.

RudeDude

• Walk-On
« Reply #482 on: November 14, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »
3 Beers I must immediately purchase and put in my face upon their availability....   

1.  Furthermore Knotstock

2.  Central Waters Ouisconsing Red Ale

3.  Big Sky's Moose Drool Brown Ale

Not a lot of bars and/or liquor stores carry these products.  However if and when they do I usually (attempt to) clean them out. 

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #483 on: November 14, 2010, 11:08:34 PM »
3 Beers I must immediately purchase and put in my face upon their availability....   

Not a lot of bars and/or liquor stores carry these products.  However if and when they do I usually (attempt to) clean them out. 

Every time I've been to Sugar Maple they've had Moose Drool on tap. And, since its a year-round beer discount pretty much always has some. Good beer.

I'm not a big fan of Ouisconsing, but it is also a year round - and should be at discount pretty much all the time.
BEARS STILL SUCK

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #484 on: November 15, 2010, 04:35:43 AM »

no offense, but.

1. yuck.
2. yuck.
3. meh.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #485 on: November 15, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »
I talked to a guy from NC at Rock Bottom on Saturday. He was here taking Master Brewer Assoc. classes at UW-Madison and plans to open a brewpub in NC. He mentioned they had a field trip to New Glarus and Capitol's breweries.

He was extremely impressed with the new NG brewery, so clean you could eat off the floor. Was also blown away with their 100% weldless stainless piping throughout. He thought they took them to see Capitol afterwards to show them what NOT to do. He mentioned mold and when pressed said he would not drink their beer after seeing their brewery.

He said there were folks from MillerCoors, Modelo, Corona and a few other breweries and Breiss Malting also taking the class.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #486 on: November 15, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »
I talked to a guy from NC at Rock Bottom on Saturday. He was here taking Master Brewer Assoc. classes at UW-Madison and plans to open a brewpub in NC. He mentioned they had a field trip to New Glarus and Capitol's breweries.

He was extremely impressed with the new NG brewery, so clean you could eat off the floor. Was also blown away with their 100% weldless stainless piping throughout. He thought they took them to see Capitol afterwards to show them what NOT to do. He mentioned mold and when pressed said he would not drink their beer after seeing their brewery.

He said there were folks from MillerCoors, Modelo, Corona and a few other breweries and Breiss Malting also taking the class.

Very interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

Kinda funny thinking about millercoors guys touring NG, "What?, not all beers are triple hops brewed/pasteurized/use rice? Outrageous!"

Or,

"Dan, what kind of food coloring do you use to make the beer look this good?"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:41:22 AM by Uff da »
BEARS STILL SUCK

Chili

• All American
« Reply #487 on: November 15, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »
If anyone cares, Three Floyds & Dogfish Head will be hosting a tapping party at Romans' on Wednesday @ 7pm for their new joint brew Poppaskull. I will be heading over for one before heading to the BC. I believe the one in Chicago is tonight at Hopleaf and in Madison on Tuesday at The Haze.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #488 on: November 15, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »
If anyone cares, Three Floyds & Dogfish Head will be hosting a tapping party at Romans' on Wednesday @ 7pm for their new joint brew Poppaskull. I will be heading over for one before heading to the BC. I believe the one in Chicago is tonight at Hopleaf and in Madison on Tuesday at The Haze.

Now that is intriguing.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #489 on: November 17, 2010, 03:37:31 PM »

Is anyone else going? I'm thinking about heading down.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Chili

• All American
« Reply #490 on: November 17, 2010, 03:50:25 PM »
Romans' just announced they are also tapping a barrel of Hell's Black Intelligencer Oatmeal Stout as well.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/62891

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #491 on: November 17, 2010, 10:03:21 PM »
Romans' just announced they are also tapping a barrel of Hell's Black Intelligencer Oatmeal Stout as well.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/62891

That beer was incredible.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #492 on: November 17, 2010, 11:19:02 PM »
Anyone ever gone to Y-Not II?   Craziest bar ever.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

Chili

• All American
« Reply #493 on: November 18, 2010, 08:25:02 AM »
Anyone ever gone to Y-Not II?   Craziest bar ever.

Been there multiple times. Not a crazy bar, just can do laundry. Why would you think that?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #494 on: November 18, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
Is anyone else going? I'm thinking about heading down.

we went after the game and the keg was gone already  :(

did have some DFH Worldwide stout, holy cow, 18% ABV

also found the Sierra Nevada Grand Cru tasty

barrels on deck include Founders CBS, Nemesis and Backwoods Bastard all of which I'd like to try, the CBS is extremely hard to find outside of the brewery itself

Chili

• All American
« Reply #495 on: November 18, 2010, 12:31:56 PM »

barrels on deck include Founders CBS, Nemesis and Backwoods Bastard all of which I'd like to try, the CBS is extremely hard to find outside of the brewery itself

were you there with someone who ordered an alpha klaus? if so, i was sitting right next to you at the bar.

anyway, i talked the guys at romans' and they are planning to do a Founders Brewery Day in mid-January where they will release CBS. My guess that goes in one hour.

I went with the Three Floyds Hell's Black Intelligencer which was outstanding and the Dogfish Head Burton Buton which was also really good.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #496 on: November 18, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »

I was there before the game, and got a taster of the poppa skull, I wasn't a big fan, that spice they used really dominated the taste.

The Intelligencer was awesome, it went down easier than any beer I've ever had.

The World Wide Stout was pretty good as well. It was a year old at this point, and had almost wine-like characteristics.

I also tried the '08 Foghorn Barleywine, oh man, that was good. Really smooth and tasty.

And, as always, celebration on tap was outstanding.

BTW, backwoods bastard was on at Sugar Maple last time I was there, so if you want to try it check them out.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #497 on: November 18, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
were you there with someone who ordered an alpha klaus? if so, i was sitting right next to you at the bar.

anyway, i talked the guys at romans' and they are planning to do a Founders Brewery Day in mid-January where they will release CBS. My guess that goes in one hour.

I went with the Three Floyds Hell's Black Intelligencer which was outstanding and the Dogfish Head Burton Buton which was also really good.

yeah that was the Mrs. ordering the klaus

btw, Sunday at 5pm the Sugar Maple lists some sort of Founders thing going on, no details but I 1st read about it in an email from Founders, my guess  is a few special treats might be on hand, I've already cleared my schedule after the Packers beat the Vikings <snicker> to make a run there and check it out

Chili

• All American
« Reply #498 on: November 18, 2010, 04:59:29 PM »
yeah that was the Mrs. ordering the klaus

btw, Sunday at 5pm the Sugar Maple lists some sort of Founders thing going on, no details but I 1st read about it in an email from Founders, my guess  is a few special treats might be on hand, I've already cleared my schedule after the Packers beat the Vikings <snicker> to make a run there and check it out

nice to sort of meet you then. i would note that Sugar Maple already tapped their one beer of CBS earlier this year and went through it in about 3 hrs. needless to say that could be a fun sunday afternoon trip.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #499 on: November 22, 2010, 01:30:57 AM »

Did anyone make it to this? I'm curious what they tapped.
BEARS STILL SUCK

feedback