[Today at 05:22:31 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647617 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #250 on: November 06, 2009, 10:50:03 PM »
just had my first Founders Breakfast Stout, clap clap clap.  Would write more, but i have to go get my second.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #251 on: November 07, 2009, 10:31:01 AM »
I am off to the The Seventh Annual Festival of Wood and Barrel Aged Beer tonight in Chicago. Needless to say I will be trying a bunch of random crap. Tons of great breweries will be in attendance. Anyone ever been to this?

http://www.illinoisbeer.com/

But I like to throw handfuls...

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #252 on: November 12, 2009, 07:26:15 PM »

Had to try Ale Ayslum "Satisfaction Jackson" Double IPA after many strong recommendations.    Very good - compared it to a known favorite Three Floyds Alpha King - very similar in taste / hop level.   At $15 / six pack - I would opt for Alpha King or Bells Two Hearted.     Want to support the local brewery though (even though it's in the People's Republic of Madison).  Also need to try it on tap before final verdict...

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #253 on: November 13, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
This might not get up to Milwaukee/Chicago....but Boulevard in Kansas City is the best overall Midwest beer Ive had, their are so many different types but their Pale Ale, Wheat and Lunar are fantastic.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #254 on: November 13, 2009, 11:54:42 PM »
tonight it was Founders Breakfast Stout after the MU win - great beer....

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #255 on: November 14, 2009, 12:43:04 AM »
tonight it was Founders Breakfast Stout after the MU win - great beer....

Enjoying the same right now while playing some online poker.  I am very excited to try the Kentucky Breakfast Stout next year.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #256 on: November 14, 2009, 01:29:29 AM »
Boulevard in Kansas City is the best overall Midwest beer Ive had

When Spiral and I were in KC in 2006 for the CBE (passing out MUScoop business cards for the first time, I might add....) I think we split a case or two of Boulevard's brews.  I didn't have anything bad to say about it, but I think there are several Wisconsin breweries with better selections.

Of course that's exactly why I hardly every claim a brew is bad (except for stuff in bottles - lol) because taste is in the eye of the taster. (er, bud of the taster?)

Nonetheless, if in the KC area, you need to try Boulevard brews.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »
This weekend tried three new beers.

Three Floyds Alpha Klaus: It is a real good porter, very chocolaty but with bitter hops note. It is like Alpha King with a lot of chocolate malt.

Three Floyds Broo Doo: AMAZING beer. It is their harvest ale and it is "wet hoped". It is really hoppy in a good way but has some malt back so it is not just a hopbomb. But it is freaking awesome.

Lakefront Local Acre Lager: I was able to get three sample bombers of this from my guy. I was not a fan. No one in our group liked it. Thought it had a really funky flavor that was not enjoyable. I will try full production bottle once it comes out in three weeks. I hope it is better than preproduction samples.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »
I tried a few new ones this weekend.
Tyranena Dirty Old Man - a rye porter aged in rye whiskey barrels, I really liked this one, alot of chocolate flavor along with the rye
Three Floyds Dreadnaught - very good DIPA, more fruit flavors than being a hopbomb like other DIPA's
Goose Island 2009 Bourbon County Stout - wow, strong taste of alcohol (12.4%) but a good sipper
Capitol Brewing Autumnal Fire - was described as basically Dopplecock meets Oktoberfest (7.4%ABV) quite a sweet malt flavor, OK, not real impressive to me, nothing from Capitol has ever done much for me

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #259 on: November 24, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »
Tried a bunch of new ones lately-

Had the 2 Below from New Belgium. It was solid, but unspectacular. It was almost like they had spiced up some Fat Tire and called it a winter seasonal.

Furthermore Proper- Their English style ale. Has some toasted malt and bready tones. Bittered by the English hops, slightly sweet finish. A pretty decent beer. Not as adventurous as some of their other offerings.

Bell’s Double Cream Stout- Hot damn this is a great beer. Will definitely be in my winter rotation, right up there with the Founders Breakfast Stout. Really creamy, malty beer. All the right stout flavors, and very drinkable. Love it, can't recommend it enough.

Magic Hat Howl- Dark winter lager. Very roasty up front, but finishes pretty smooth. Not much hops to it. Not bad, but it wouldn’t be my first choice for a winter brew.

Left Hand Juju Ginger Ale- A friend bought a sampler of Left Hand stuff, and this was the first we sampled. Pours a nice golden color, very drinkable, with the taste of fresh ginger present, but not overpowering. I really liked it, would be a great light beer for the summer.

Left Hand Sawtooth Ale- Their ESB, pours Amber with a nice head to it. This one almost reminded me of Pride and Joy, as the citrus hops are very present. A pretty solid beer.

And then there’s the Imperial Stout. Jet black, pours like friggin motor oil. The standard stout flavors, but there was some fruity notes to it. Real heavy beer, and at 10% it will definitely warm you up. For the style, it was excellent.

New Glarus Cranbic Ale- I wasn’t sure how I felt about this at first. I bought it last night, and the first bottle I had was kinda funky. It had a nice cranberry tartness, but an oaky finish that was overwhelming. I’m having one now and it’s much, much more balanced. Enjoying this one much more, perhaps the first was just a bad bottle.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:35:20 PM by MUfan12 »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2009, 02:28:35 PM »
When Spiral and I were in KC in 2006 for the CBE (passing out MUScoop business cards for the first time, I might add....) I think we split a case or two of Boulevard's brews.  I didn't have anything bad to say about it, but I think there are several Wisconsin breweries with better selections.

Of course that's exactly why I hardly every claim a brew is bad (except for stuff in bottles - lol) because taste is in the eye of the taster. (er, bud of the taster?)

Nonetheless, if in the KC area, you need to try Boulevard brews.

I know we are all bias in our hometown brews, but you must have only tried the Pale Ale or Wheat which is just their standard. There are around 12-15 different boulevard beers depending on the season and its growing constantly (only 20 years old and now the biggest Missouri brewery- Bud now doesnt count cause it was bought, haha i love that part).

I have tried many different beers in Milwaukee, I cant always remember their names a lot, but just wondering which ones you think are easily better than Boulevard. The only one with many different brews that I can compare it to personally is Lienenkugels and Lakefront. I would personally take Boulevard over either's (again, I am biased) but I really dont think Leinenkugel's can even hold a candle to Boulevard. Lakefront I liked very much though from the few times I had it and on the brew tour.

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »
Does anyone know of the a website where you trade beers with others around the world? 

Someone once told me that you can trade a beer to someone say in India who has access to a beer over there that you would like to try and maybe they would like to try spotted cow or something that is only sold in wisconsin. Is this made up or has anyone heard of it?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2009, 04:21:06 PM »
Bell’s Double Cream Stout- Hot damn this is a great beer. Will definitely be in my winter rotation, right up there with the Founders Breakfast Stout. Really creamy, malty beer. All the right stout flavors, and very drinkable. Love it, can't recommend it enough.

mmm, Bell's Double Cream Stout -  it would be hard to pick between Bell;'s DC, Founders Breakfast and Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout as my favorite...

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #263 on: November 27, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »
Any recommendations on home brew shops in Madison or Milwaukee?  I've purchased from the wine and hop shop in madison, but heard there was a few in the milwaukee area that I could stop at before a MU game.
"We have the blues on the run!"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #264 on: November 27, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »
Any recommendations on home brew shops in Madison or Milwaukee?  I've purchased from the wine and hop shop in madison, but heard there was a few in the milwaukee area that I could stop at before a MU game.

There's one just south of Bluemound Rd. on Janacek Rd. in Brookfield. Stopped in there once, they seem to have a lot of stuff. Forgot what the name of it was.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #265 on: November 30, 2009, 09:15:29 AM »
Any recommendations on home brew shops in Madison or Milwaukee?  I've purchased from the wine and hop shop in madison, but heard there was a few in the milwaukee area that I could stop at before a MU game.

I go to the Frugal Homebrewer in downtown Waukesha for supplies www.frugalhomebrewer.com

I tried the Lupulin Maximus from O-so this weekend. It's 9%, heavily hopped (there's actually a Fuggles hop cone in every bottle). For as many hops that are in this, it's actually offset by the sweet malt flavors. very enjoyable taste IMO

I agree with the above on Bell's Double Cream stout, really like that one also
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:19:47 AM by Homebrew101 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #266 on: November 30, 2009, 09:38:06 AM »
As for homebrew places in Milwaukee... I think a HUGE place just opened... though I don't know the name of it, my cousin goes there and says it is awesome... maybe its in 'stallis?

also, tried some beer from VA... Star Hill... it was okay.  nothing great.  probably wouldn't try it again.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »
Great Lakes Brewery Christmas Ale... I LOVE IT!!!

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2009, 04:29:18 PM »
I go to the Frugal Homebrewer in downtown Waukesha for supplies www.frugalhomebrewer.com
Thanks for the recommendation.  I'm looking to convert to kegs from bottles as I'm getting too lazy to bottle all the time.
"We have the blues on the run!"

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #269 on: December 05, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »
Great Lakes Brewery Christmas Ale... I LOVE IT!!!

I also just had one these. Very good.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #270 on: December 06, 2009, 09:54:31 PM »
I've become a pretty big fan of Two Brothers Brewing Company.  They brew out of Warrenville, IL.

Their Heavy Handed IPA (Wet Hop) and their Heav-ier Handed IPA (Oak Foudre Aged - bomber only) were dynamite.  This weekend, I tried their Northwind Imperial Stout, and it was fantastic.  A few weeks ago, I had their Cain and Ebel Red Rye Ale.  All were great.  Two Brothers are worth checking out if you think in terms of breweries, especially if you roll in the Chicago Burbs.

+1 on the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, and the Three Floyds Alpha Klaus and Broo-Doo.

I am now on the hunt for Bells Double Cream Stout.  Also, since it's officially the Holiday season, any other recommendations for Holiday/Christmas Beers? 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #271 on: December 06, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »
Had the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Pretty tasty. Not a bad Holiday offering.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #272 on: December 11, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »
favorite Colorado Brewery:  Left Hand.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #273 on: December 11, 2009, 06:24:27 PM »
favorite Colorado Brewery:  Left Hand.

Heh heh heh, that's in walking distance from my house :)

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #274 on: December 11, 2009, 07:51:32 PM »
Heh heh heh, that's in walking distance from my house :)

Just had their Milk Stout last week. Damn good beer.

feedback