[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 647833 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2009, 08:33:47 AM »
FYI, if you are in Wisconsin still, Three Floyds getting distribution in WI starting in September I believe.

That is the rumor - and has been for a few years now - but six packs of Alpha King and probably Pride and Joy are supposed to show up mid September.
But I like to throw handfuls...

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2009, 11:06:09 AM »
a friend / beer enthusiast is having a party tomorrow - he sent the beer list out in advance, it will be like a kid in a candy store, I claimed dibs on all the Dreadnaught ahead of time

Old Rasputin - Russian Imperial Stout
Stone - Smoked Porter
Stone - Arrogant Bastard
Moylan's - Scotch Style Ale
Moylan's - Hopsickle Imperial Ale
Three Floyd's - Dreagnaught
Three Floyd's - Black Sun Stout
Meantime - India Pale Ale
Lagunitas - Hop Stoopid Ale
Steamworks - Ale Diablo
Farmhouse - Robust Porter
Southern Tier - Uber Sun
New Belgium - Fat Tire
Ommegang - Abbey Ale

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2009, 12:18:41 PM »
a buddy of mine and i split a bomber of the Stone - Smoked Porter on the recommendation of another friends from HS & MU. My buddies reaction "tastes like a sweat sock the has soaked up chew spit". It is interesting to say the least.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #178 on: August 25, 2009, 01:41:57 PM »
I'm hoping to get lucky and and run across some Dark Lord one of these days. Until then, its Bourbon County Stout, or Founders Breakfast Stout when I need a giant imperial fix. 

Any other imperial stout suggestions?

If you like Founder's Breakfast Stout, try and get ahold of their KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout), the BS aged in oak bourbon barrels.

It's only out around February and sells out quick. Discount Liquor put a limit of maximum of 4 bottles per person, although I still ended up with a case somehow  ;D

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »
Had a New Belgium 1554 last weekend, and was very impressed.  I am not sure if I can get it anywhere locally on tap, but was quite tasty out of the bottle.  The "chocolate finish" as they describe was noticeable, but not overpowering.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »
Had a New Belgium 1554 last weekend, and was very impressed.  I am not sure if I can get it anywhere locally on tap, but was quite tasty out of the bottle.  The "chocolate finish" as they describe was noticeable, but not overpowering.

honestly, its garbage.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »
honestly, its garbage.

Can you recommend a similar style beer for me to compare?  It could be garbage, but never having a "belgian black ale", I have no basis for comparison.  I did question the "belgian black ale" statement since I lived in Belgium, and had not seen another beer called a black ale.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2009, 03:53:07 PM »
I quite liked the 1554 when I had it. Also had New Belgium's Blue Paddle Pilsner this weekend, thought it was pretty good for a domestic Pilsner. Haven't had a bad beer from them yet.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2009, 08:23:34 AM »
black wheat from new glarus is much better.

I just don't think that the fat tire brewery stuff is all that great.

its all hype... put it by other beers on sheer taste and I think it is pretty clear.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »
Hards - you're really beating this anti-New Belgium drum hard.

I know you didn't like 1554, but to compare it to a black wheat is unfair.  They are two different styles.

Fat tire (the beer) is crap if you ask me.  But you shouldn't write off New Belgium so fast.  Stop by their brewery in Ft. Collins, try all their beers in the tasting room (free! no liquor license), and talk with the brewers.  If you still think it's all crap macro-brew hiding behind a micro-brew name, I'll leave you alone.  But just trying 1 or 2 of their beers and calling it all crap is painting with a pretty wide brush.

Yes other breweries have some better options, but most of new belgiums stuff is very drinkable, without too many defects (unless you drink fat tire out of a bottle - blech).  That's better than I can say for a lot of micro brewers.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »
Now back to the beer reviews, tried a Belgica from Great Divide last week.

Described as a Belgian IPA, it certainly had plenty of alcohol content, but I can't say I enjoyed the taste of the hops and spices together.  First Belgian IPA I've tried, but based on my experience, I'll probably limit further attempts at this category to a single bottle (mix & match) before jumping into a whole 6-pack commitment.

I wouldn't say it's a bad beer, just not my style.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2009, 08:51:15 PM »
Had some Massachusetts beer lately and was impressed.
Offshore Brewery is from Martha's Vineyard. Their Amber Ale was quite good.
Also had 3 from Harpoon Brewery out of Boston- the IPA, UFO (Unfiltered Offering) Hefeweizen, and UFO White. All were very good.

I don't think any of these are available outside of New England, but Harpoon's easy to find out there.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »
Had a few newbies after a trip to Sugar Maple and the Sprecher Brewery.

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale- Earthy hops, with a bright citrus flavor complimented by the Juniper berries. Definitely an interesting take on a Pale Ale. Pretty light color, dry in taste, overall a nice beer. I'd drink it again, but it doesn't stack up to an Alpha King IMO.

Sprecher Generation Porter- I had to try this one when I built my 4 pack at the brewery. Brewed with cocoa, caramel malts, and raspberry extract. At first sip, was not a fan. The beer got exponentially better as it warmed. Not one I'd drink at a bar, but for a dessert beer it's top notch. Smooth, sweet, and very drinkable.

Also had the Sprecher Oktoberfest. Solid Octoberfest offering, perhaps a bit heavy on the sweetness, especially on the finish. My first foray into this season's fall offerings. Looking forward to sampling some more at Blatz Liquor tomorrow (1121 N. Broadway).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2009, 08:06:38 AM »
Hards - you're really beating this anti-New Belgium drum hard.

I know you didn't like 1554, but to compare it to a black wheat is unfair.  They are two different styles.

Fat tire (the beer) is crap if you ask me.  But you shouldn't write off New Belgium so fast.  Stop by their brewery in Ft. Collins, try all their beers in the tasting room (free! no liquor license), and talk with the brewers.  If you still think it's all crap macro-brew hiding behind a micro-brew name, I'll leave you alone.  But just trying 1 or 2 of their beers and calling it all crap is painting with a pretty wide brush.

Yes other breweries have some better options, but most of new belgiums stuff is very drinkable, without too many defects (unless you drink fat tire out of a bottle - blech).  That's better than I can say for a lot of micro brewers.

I realize they aren't the same style.

I have had Fat Tire, Mothership Whit, and 1554.  I found the Mothership to be the most drinkable of the 3.

The reason I call it crap is because it gets far too much hype for what it really is; mediocre beer.

I don't plan to make a trip all the way out to Fort Collins, CO to taste some mediocre beer when I can just go down the street here in Madison and have some mediocre Crapital Brewery beer.   ;)

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2009, 08:08:20 AM »
black wheat from new glarus is much better.

But is it available outside of Wisconsin.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »
But is it available outside of Wisconsin.

being from Wisconsin, I am not sure :)

you can easily find out yourself though!!!

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/BeerFinder.cfm

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2009, 08:28:53 AM »
I must confess I had already checked out the website and discovered it is only available in Wisconsin.

I guess I will have to wait until my next visit to the MKE. 

Also, the Andrew Zimmerman clip where he is at the Old German Beerhall... Is this a new place?  I can't believe I was in Milwaukee for 4.5 years and had never seen or heard of this place.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2009, 09:24:16 AM »
I have been told that 1554 is similar to Shiner Black.

Can anyone confirm or deny this before I buy a 6 pack and decide for myself.

FWIW
The gentleman working at the beer store also scoffed at the notion that 1554 has anything to do with Belgium.  He actually seemed put off by the fact that New Belgium makes the connection on the 1554 label.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2009, 10:20:39 AM »
Duchesse de Bourgogne

Ridiculous. 

Smells initially like PAAS easter egg coloring tablets.  Strong vinegar aroma. 
Taste is crisp, sweet-balsamic, but smooth with a fine carbonation. 

I have had it twice.  It was better from a bottle.  On tap, it looses some of the effervescence and crispness.

Great with fatty meats - pork especially.  The acidity cuts through the fat nicely.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2009, 10:39:48 AM »
I would be remiss if I didn't put in another plug for one of my new favorite microbreweries - Central Waters out of Amherst, WI.  I had a number of their porters over the weekend, as well as their Pale Ale.  Very good stuff.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »
Also, the Andrew Zimmerman clip where he is at the Old German Beerhall... Is this a new place?  I can't believe I was in Milwaukee for 4.5 years and had never seen or heard of this place.

It opened in late 2005.  Prior to that it was Guse's City Hall. 

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
Duchesse de Bourgogne -  a Flemish Red Ale (aka Sour Ale)  - a very unique beer but very drinkable,  had a similar beer this weekend  - Monk's Cafe, very tasty....

Romans has Duchesse on tap all the time...

If one gets past the distinct smell, people usually like it...

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2009, 11:20:09 PM »
Has anyone had New Belgium's Hoptober? Saw it at the grocery store tonight, was going to ask for a review first...

And I know you don't like it Hards.  ;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2009, 09:02:30 AM »
Has anyone had New Belgium's Hoptober? Saw it at the grocery store tonight, was going to ask for a review first...

And I know you don't like it Hards.  ;)

I haven't had it... I didn't say all their beer was crap, The Mothership Wit is actually pretty decent.  I just think they are totally overrated as a brewery, and the 1554 is not as good as everyone thinks.

that said, This weekend, I attended the Thirsty Troll Brew Fest in Mount Horeb, WI.  There were 30 breweries in attendance... mostly beer I have tried before... but a few notables were:

Magic Hat Brewery (VT)
Magic Hat had a Saki Lager... It was VERY strange, but not too bad... maybe a little vinegary.

Grumpy Troll (WI) the host brewery out of Mt. Horeb
The Grumpy Troll had my favorite beer of the competition and got my vote.  The beer was a jalapeno beer which I had never had before.  It had the aroma and flavor of jalapenos without any of the spice... strange indeed, but delightful.  Unfortunately, The Grumpy Troll doesn't bottle their beer, so the only way to try it is to haul all the way down to Mt. Horeb for a taste.  Also had a beer called Erik the Red... which was also fantastic.

other attending breweries were Flying Dog, Ale Asylum, Great Dane, Oso? (ran out, lots of people LOVED their beer), New Glarus, Esser's, etc etc... I'm sure the names are on the website.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2009, 09:11:04 AM »
Just giving you a hard time.  I also enjoy the Mothership Wit.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt