[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644603 times)

PBRme

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1975 on: February 15, 2022, 01:12:04 PM »
The 6 foot PBR case release?   ;D

For me that is National Sleeping in Tomorrow Day.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1976 on: February 20, 2022, 10:41:00 PM »
I'm having a Chimay Green.  I must say it's excellent, perhaps the best of the Chimay's.  I thought 10% would be too much but it is going down very smoothly.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1977 on: February 21, 2022, 04:34:02 PM »
I have never tried the green, but will do so at first opportunity, given how good the rest of their line-up is.

Have you tried Gulden Draak? It's 10.5% and unbelievably smooth. That and St. Bernardus are both 99 rated beers. Different from one another, but both delicious.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU_B

• Walk-On
« Reply #1978 on: February 21, 2022, 05:30:47 PM »
Gulden Draak, very similar to Duvel right?  Was always one of my favorites.

Haven't had the Chimay green, but have a bomber in the blue chilling in the fridge.
Willfully misinformed.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1979 on: February 21, 2022, 09:12:17 PM »
Gulden Draak, very similar to Duvel right?  Was always one of my favorites.

Haven't had the Chimay green, but have a bomber in the blue chilling in the fridge.
Smoother than Duvel, IMO, but somewhat different style, too. Duvel is a Strong Ale, while Gulden Draak is kind of unique in that is a dark triple, so it combines being a triple with being a quad; I've heard it called a triple-and-a-half. They also make a straight quad (the 9000), which isn't bad, but I prefer the original (which they refer to as the Classic).
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1980 on: February 21, 2022, 09:30:55 PM »
I have never tried the green, but will do so at first opportunity, given how good the rest of their line-up is.

Have you tried Gulden Draak? It's 10.5% and unbelievably smooth. That and St. Bernardus are both 99 rated beers. Different from one another, but both delicious.

I have had G-Draak a number of times.
is that considered a Belgian Strong Ale? Excellent beer.  I'm not sure if Chimay Green isthat good,  I think it's definitely a little different than both a quad or triple.  Smooth, but with several complex flavors and a bit yeasty but in a good way. I think it has a very slight apricot overtone but it's not sweet or too hoppy.  It's $26 a 4-Pack but I really enjoyed my first one. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 09:39:35 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1981 on: June 19, 2022, 08:48:50 PM »
I just poured an Orval.  Has anyone had this beer?  I'm kinda stumped.  I have no idea how to describe it.  It's labeled a Belgian Trappist Ale but doesn't resemble a Trappist at all and is under 7% ABV.  It may be the most unusual beer I've ever tried.     It's definitely funky but not in a bad way. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1982 on: June 20, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »
I just poured an Orval.  Has anyone had this beer?  I'm kinda stumped.  I have no idea how to describe it.  It's labeled a Belgian Trappist Ale but doesn't resemble a Trappist at all and is under 7% ABV.  It may be the most unusual beer I've ever tried.     It's definitely funky but not in a bad way.

Plenty of experience. Visited the Abbey. A chalice of that at A L'Ange Gardien is divine.

Trappist is a moniker for beer produced by monks, not a specific style. Orval is a Belgian Pale that gets it's funk from the yeast which is Brett Brux.

Typical styles produced by Trappist would be a blonde, a dubbel, a tripel, a quad, or even a light Patersbier. Orval stands out on its own since that abbey only brews that one style (though they do have a "petit" version only available at A L'Ange Gardien). It's great.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1983 on: June 20, 2022, 06:30:14 PM »
Plenty of experience. Visited the Abbey. A chalice of that at A L'Ange Gardien is divine.

Trappist is a moniker for beer produced by monks, not a specific style. Orval is a Belgian Pale that gets it's funk from the yeast which is Brett Brux.

Typical styles produced by Trappist would be a blonde, a dubbel, a tripel, a quad, or even a light Patersbier. Orval stands out on its own since that abbey only brews that one style (though they do have a "petit" version only available at A L'Ange Gardien). It's great.

Ty Golden Avalanche.  I think I actually liked it the more sips I had last night.  I would agree it definitely stands out. Any thoughts on your favorite quads? 

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #1984 on: June 21, 2022, 08:05:55 AM »
Always enjoyed Chimay when I lived in Belgium
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1985 on: June 21, 2022, 08:46:46 AM »
I like Gulden Draak 9000, a quad.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1986 on: June 21, 2022, 10:27:50 AM »
Ty Golden Avalanche.  I think I actually liked it the more sips I had last night.  I would agree it definitely stands out. Any thoughts on your favorite quads?

For me, the standard in that quad style is the St. Bernardus ABT 12. They've been at it for so long that its dialed in to just about the highest quality you could expect.

I agree on Spotcheck's suggestion about the Gulden Draak. Very tasty. My other favorite is the Straffe Hendrik by De Halve Maan but I'm not too sure that's readily available here in the States.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1987 on: June 21, 2022, 10:28:26 AM »
I like Gulden Draak 9000, a quad.

Personally, I like the original Gulden Draak more than the 9000, though I've heard the former described as "a triple-and-a-half".

Saint Bernardus is the other clear stud in the quad category.

Not quads, but I also currently like both the vanilla rye porter and dark and stormy reserve offerings from Central Waters.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:37:30 AM by TSmith34 »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1988 on: June 21, 2022, 10:31:01 AM »

Not quads, but I also currently like both the vanilla porter and dark and stormy reserve offerings from Central Waters.

If it can still be found, IMO the best CW offering currently is His Dudeness, an Imperial Stout w/ Cocoa Nibs, Lactose, Vanilla Beans, Coffee Beans, & Brown Sugar
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 01:49:28 PM by Spotcheck Billy »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1989 on: June 21, 2022, 12:00:38 PM »
Enjoying my last Alt Beer in Dusseldorf.  Off to Budapest tomorrow.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1990 on: June 21, 2022, 01:39:43 PM »
Personally, I like the original Gulden Draak more than the 9000, though I've heard the former described as "a triple-and-a-half".

Saint Bernardus is the other clear stud in the quad category.

Not quads, but I also currently like both the vanilla rye porter and dark and stormy reserve offerings from Central Waters.

I think Central Waters has a quad?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1991 on: June 21, 2022, 01:41:59 PM »
For me, the standard in that quad style is the St. Bernardus ABT 12. They've been at it for so long that its dialed in to just about the highest quality you could expect.

I agree on Spotcheck's suggestion about the Gulden Draak. Very tasty. My other favorite is the Straffe Hendrik by De Halve Maan but I'm not too sure that's readily available here in the States.

Yes,  St.Bernardus 12 is excellent.  I actually like their blonde a lot too.   Have you had Rochefort 10 or La Trappe's quad?  I think L-Traappe is superb. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1992 on: June 21, 2022, 04:12:52 PM »
I think Central Waters has a quad?
Not during my recent visit, but it could very well be a seasonal or a one-off like their Brewer's Reserve line.

I have become a big fan of rauchbiers, though they are pretty hard to find. The offerings from Aecht Schlenkerla are about the only ones I can get my hands on consistently, though there is a brewery in Austin, Live Oak, that is known for their smoked beers and has multiple different types year round, they just don't distribute very far.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1993 on: June 21, 2022, 04:42:24 PM »
Not during my recent visit, but it could very well be a seasonal or a one-off like their Brewer's Reserve line.

I have become a big fan of rauchbiers, though they are pretty hard to find. The offerings from Aecht Schlenkerla are about the only ones I can get my hands on consistently, though there is a brewery in Austin, Live Oak, that is known for their smoked beers and has multiple different types year round, they just don't distribute very far.

Ya....I guess their quad was a limited.

I think I had a German smoked beer before that was quote good but I can't remember for sure. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1994 on: June 21, 2022, 05:37:52 PM »
Yes,  St.Bernardus 12 is excellent.  I actually like their blonde a lot too.   Have you had Rochefort 10 or La Trappe's quad?  I think L-Traappe is superb.

Both are very good. La Trappe a bit underrated amongst the masses. They do it right.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1995 on: June 21, 2022, 06:10:20 PM »
Both are very good. La Trappe a bit underrated amongst the masses. They do it right.

Yes!  There are a few  Belgian beers that I had in Leuven and Brugge that I can't find here.  Brugge Tripel, Tongelo, and the Hoegaarden Grand Cru.   WTF?  I would also like to try Westleeven? but good luck with that.  :(

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1996 on: June 22, 2022, 12:59:07 PM »
If you like quads Boulevard brewing from Kansas City, MO is as fine of an attempt as you'll see in the US.

IMO, of course.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1997 on: June 22, 2022, 01:38:49 PM »
If you like quads Boulevard brewing from Kansas City, MO is as fine of an attempt as you'll see in the US.

IMO, of course.

I agree. And the barrel-aged quad is a treat as well.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1998 on: June 23, 2022, 09:46:44 AM »
Yes!  There are a few  Belgian beers that I had in Leuven and Brugge that I can't find here.  Brugge Tripel, Tongelo, and the Hoegaarden Grand Cru.   WTF?  I would also like to try Westleeven? but good luck with that. :(

You've had it without knowing it.  ;)

St. Bernardus ABT 12 and Westy 12 are indecipherable in a blind tasting. In fact, St. Bernardus brewed Westy 12 (calling it St. Sixtus) starting sometime in the 40s until 1992 when the monks took back the entirety of production.

Like most food/beverage experiences the story and branding add in the exotics for Westy (and all three of their offerings are really very good) but having had both more times than I can remember enjoying the St. Bernardus isn't a step down in quality at all.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1999 on: June 23, 2022, 12:14:19 PM »
You've had it without knowing it.  ;)

St. Bernardus ABT 12 and Westy 12 are indecipherable in a blind tasting. In fact, St. Bernardus brewed Westy 12 (calling it St. Sixtus) starting sometime in the 40s until 1992 when the monks took back the entirety of production.

Like most food/beverage experiences the story and branding add in the exotics for Westy (and all three of their offerings are really very good) but having had both more times than I can remember enjoying the St. Bernardus isn't a step down in quality at all.

Really?  Cool.  I never knew that!  Now I don't feel so deprived.  :)