[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644685 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2009, 11:43:04 PM »
I was actually looking for something for this coming weekend as I'm throwing a little shindig and wanted something summery to have available. Might have to grab some Wild Rice as I was actually just looking into that.  Great post timing MUfan12.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2009, 12:51:33 PM »
Was up in Seattle this past weekend and had a couple great IPA's. Mack n Jack's was great - a little more bitter than fav's but damn tastey. Then I had Manny's. This beer freaking rocks. Bitter, citrusy, big huge hops - it was awesome. Also went to Pikes Brewery and Pyramid and they good. Pyramid Thunderhead is a pretty good IPA. The Hefe was weak in taste and reminded me of Miller Lite.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2009, 01:06:49 PM »
The Hefe was weak in taste and reminded me of Miller Lite.

I second this, as Pyramid's Hefe is one of my least favorites.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2009, 07:08:34 PM »

Interesting list of high octane beers that I stumbled upon....

http://www.mybadpad.com/fun-stuff/55-beers-that-will-knock-you-flat-on-your-ass
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:23:23 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2009, 07:40:11 AM »
I had Central Water's Mudpuppy Porter on tap last weekend.

Very, very good stuff.  Highly recommended!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2009, 11:53:03 PM »
Let's bring this bad boy back! First, for the folks in Milwaukee some news. New Belgium will be making more varities available in August, as well as Fat Tire in 6 packs.

Also toured the new brewery in New Glarus a couple weeks back. The place is unreal. They don't have guided tours, but you're able to walk around and sample after. The facility is beautiful, especially the landscaping outside of it.

Had a couple new beers this week as well.

Tyranena Three Beaches Honey Blonde- Nice, refreshing Summer beer. Pours a golden color with a thin head, has a good amount of carbonation. Strong honey aroma, but the sweetness is countered by the hops coming through. Pretty easy to drink. I'm going to check out their brewery in Lake Mills one of these days.

Anderson Valley Summer Solstice- Picked up a six pack on a recommendation. It's definitely not what you'd think of in a summer beer. It's a dark copper colored cream ale, very malty with some vanilla and subtle spice notes. Almost a cream soda aftertaste. So, so smooth. A really good beer.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2009, 04:50:10 PM »
ok ok, I'll admit it... usually when people hype beer up and I have it, I find it to be pretty mediocre...

but this Three Floyd's Dreadnaught is pretty damn good.

so... thanks.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2009, 07:59:12 AM »
ok ok, I'll admit it... usually when people hype beer up and I have it, I find it to be pretty mediocre...

but this Three Floyd's Dreadnaught is pretty damn good.

so... thanks.

Three Floyds is one of the top breweries in America - especially if you like hops. And since you Dreadnaught - you obviously do. Even living in WI where they are not fully distributed, I still find my fridge with at min 2 different Three Floyds at all times. You need try Alpha King and Gumball Head. I am also a huge fan of the Scotch Ale called Robert The Bruce. You really can't go wrong with any of their beers. Thank the lord six packs are rumored to show in September.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2009, 09:55:49 PM »
love Dreadnaught - it's up to $9.99 a bottle at Discount, the wife sees this and ups her wine budget accordingly....

on tap at Roman's for a very short time - i was in heaven...

has anyone tried Three Floyd's Oatgoop?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »
Had Three Floyds Omeganaught this past weekend. It was pretty good. Straight hopwater - no malt backing - which is fine by me. A little watery in texture but not a bad beer for breakfast - which is when I had it instead of OJ with my coffee.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »
I was in Central PA visiting friends......

Straub Beer brewed in St. Mary's PA.  Nothing fancy, just a great lager beer.   Took a brewery tour with the CEO.....4 minutes.   The Eternal Tap at the end of the tour is priceless.  Only distributed in PA and NE Ohio.  I brought 2 cases home. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2009, 02:16:18 PM »
I tried the Founder's Devil Dancer, labeled a triple IPA. This was afantastic beer although also not cheap, $18.99 for a 4 pack. I'm sure it's not cheap to make either, there's got to be alot of malt and hops in these.

Also tried the Tyranena (Brewer's gone wild series) Bitter woman in the Rye during a tour of the brewery, another very good beer I heartily recommend.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2009, 02:29:49 PM »
Speaking of Tyranena, I tried a Tyranea Scurvy at a recent beer festival and had a few on tap at a bar. Very enjoyable. It's an IPA brewed with orange peel. The orange adds great flavor but isn't overpowering. A very nice brew. And there is no need to fruit the beer!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2009, 03:01:26 PM »
Props to whoever recommended Central Waters Muddpuppy Porter.

Had it at a bar last week and really enjoyed it. I'm not a huge Porter fan but really liked it.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2009, 10:15:57 PM »
For the Three Floyds enthusiasts here, you haven't lived until you've had dark lord. 13% alcohol. You'll have to travel to Indiana to get it, it is only sold at the brewery and sells out in a day or two i believe. Wonderful beer though

Chili

• All American
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2009, 10:56:05 PM »
For the Three Floyds enthusiasts here, you haven't lived until you've had dark lord. 13% alcohol. You'll have to travel to Indiana to get it, it is only sold at the brewery and sells out in a day or two i believe. Wonderful beer though

you need tickets to get it at the Dark Lord Day festival and you can then get 2 cases of 20oz bombers. I had to turn down tickets this year. It is a Russian Imperial Stout. It has been called one of the worlds greatest beers and people travel the nation to go.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2009, 09:28:42 AM »
I haven't tried the Dark Lord yet, mainly because I refuse to waste a whole day in Munster Indiana and will not pay $20 a bottle on ebay.

I'm sure the beer is fantastic, but is it worth all the hoops you have to jump through to get it? I know Dark Lord Day is overflowing with people every year, so that says something right there.

I just think you can walk into Sam's Wines or Binny's in Chicago and get a number of high quality Imperial Stouts that rival Dark Lord. Convenience is key for me.

As I said above, I haven't tried Dark Lord and maybe that is my problem. I guess I might have a different opinion if I did. So, want to share a bottle with me? Ha ha.  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:58:47 AM by MilTown »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »
Dark Lord is for true beer geeks who make it their hobby so jumping through hoops is not an issue. It is almost like mini beer festival where everyone brings beers to share and try while waiting in line. It's not for everyone, but for some it will be. One day of drinking all day still is a good day in my mind.

A friend of mine has a few bottles at his restaurant that I need to get down to and hopefully try.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2009, 03:51:38 PM »
I'm hoping to get lucky and and run across some Dark Lord one of these days. Until then, its Bourbon County Stout, or Founders Breakfast Stout when I need a giant imperial fix. 

Any other imperial stout suggestions?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »
sprecher's specialty fire brewed Russian Imperial isn't too bad...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2009, 12:21:11 PM »
I have to say that mostly because of this thread, Three Floyds became a "must try" on my list.  Even drove a decent bit out of my way to pick up some bottles.  Got a bomber of the Dreadnaught and of the Blackheart Ale.  (I can't tell you how disappointed I was that there was no Gumballhead.)  Both were fantastic.

Plus, much to my delight, last weekend I found out that my local Whole Foods is now stocking six-packs of Alpha King (and one other variety). 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »
I have to say that mostly because of this thread, Three Floyds became a "must try" on my list.  Even drove a decent bit out of my way to pick up some bottles.  Got a bomber of the Dreadnaught and of the Blackheart Ale.  (I can't tell you how disappointed I was that there was no Gumballhead.)  Both were fantastic.

Plus, much to my delight, last weekend I found out that my local Whole Foods is now stocking six-packs of Alpha King (and one other variety). 

I try and pick up a case of Gumball Head every time I in Chicago. It is hard to find outside of Chicago or Indiana bc it is not distributed very far.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »
Picked up some Alpha King and Pride and Joy today. Had a Gumballhead on tap at lunch.

Beer and DWade, all the reason I need to go to Chicago.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2009, 07:27:14 AM »
I try and pick up a case of Gumball Head every time I in Chicago. It is hard to find outside of Chicago or Indiana bc it is not distributed very far.

FYI, if you are in Wisconsin still, Three Floyds getting distribution in WI starting in September I believe.
The General has taken on a new command.