[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darius Johnson-odom is a Golden Eagle  (Read 49721 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Darius Johnson-odom is a Golden Eagle
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2009, 08:07:42 PM »
It's all about winning? Seriously?

Sorry Puerto Rican Nightmare, you changed my sentence and the content completely.  Please be more careful what you type and comment.  I said "I am all for winning".  But anyways, what's wrong with giving a JUCO a chance to get a 4 year degree, unless it is all about winning and you think we have a better chance with four year players.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:12:58 PM by NCMUFan »

Mike Deane

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »
How could he be clear to play after only one year?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »
It's up on FoxSports.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

Sounds like a solid get at first glance!  Elite schools were starting to visit!
I can't help it - did you read down the page after the article on DJO?

My sources were incorrect in that Dan Parker & Associates handled the Virginia search - which landed Tony Bennett.

Parker still did hire Billy Gillispie at Kentucky and Kelvin Sampson at Virginia - and his search firm has been hired to find a coach at Georgia.

Now the blame for hiring Bennett is squarely on Virginia AD Craig Littlepage.

Bennett is a guy who has been in the Midwest and west coast for his coaching career – as an assistant to his father and for three seasons at the helm at Washington State. He’s not exactly known as a plugged-in recruiter.

How in the world could he not have gone after Oklahoma’s Jeff Capel or Xavier’s Sean Miller?

They are both big-time recruiters and have more familiarity with the east coast.

Makes no sense.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2009, 08:08:36 PM »
Now since he is coming next year does that mean he will be a Sophmore like Butler was this yr?

he is eligible and will have three years to play at Marquette.

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2009, 08:10:23 PM »
They say 2009.  That means someone is leaving or redshirting.

It doesn't matter if you redshirt.  It still counts as a scholarship...

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
I know some people won't be happy with another JUCO, but this guy is a very very good player.  He might be better that Dwight Buycks, and some have called Buycks the best JUCO guard in the country.

There's a reason the top schools were after him, and the list was only going to grow once word got out that he was eligible, but Buzz was able to close the deal first.

+1.

Unlike my initial post on this an hour ago, I'm VERY excited about what we're getting here.  Part of me wanted a bigger 2-guard, but after seeing what 'Nova has done with a couple of combos on the floor at the same time in Stokes/Fisher/Renyolds, I really have warmed up to this pickup.  

At the same time too, I'm impressed that Buzz was in-tune enough with what was going on here to jump the gun before other programs started beating down the door.  
The General has taken on a new command.

MUFan42

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
He sounds like a good player and i dont know whether he will start or not but I'm sure he will get a considerable amount of PT. It will help this team in the long run because we finally are getting some depth which will help the team in the long run.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2009, 08:19:42 PM »
I will withhold judgement even though I rather get 4 year players.

It's good thing that he has three years instead of the usual two.  I wonder why he went the Juco route?

lorthneeda

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »
Wow, that's awfully big of you to withhold judgment.  Does Buzz know?  He must, otherwise he wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of beating out Kansas, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia to get him to sign here.

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
Wow, that's awfully big of you to withhold judgment.  Does Buzz know?  He must, otherwise he wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of beating out Kansas, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia to get him to sign here.

None of those schools offered him!!!!

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »

Like many people on this board they don't want to load up on Juco's given our recent history of them.  We haven't had a lot of success with them at all. The have been nothing but a liablity when tommy was the coach.  Maybe times will now be different and they will become an asset.

Also most of those schools haven't offered him.  There is a difference between some assistant watching your game and being offered a scholarship.  Therefore, we did not 'beat' kansas since they never offered.   But if that makes you feel better then so be it.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 08:40:55 PM »

Well, if you're Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech, you certainly don't waste resources on sending one of your coaches to bumblef*ck, Kansas on a guy you're not at least heavily considering offering a scholarship too.

Also, by the time he hit the market officially for 2009 instead of 2010, Buzz had the deal done.  If Buzz didn't see that much in this kid, and the big boys weren't going to give this kid the time of day, I'm sure Buzz would have probably taken a wait an see attitude.  Either way, Buzz got in and out before anyone else got word.
The General has taken on a new command.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »

None of those schools were looking at him for 2009.  He just received word that he was going to be eligible this year, and as soon as he did, Buzz jumped on him.  They all assumed he was a 2010 recruit so they waited and got burned.

Dienerfor3

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2009, 08:46:26 PM »
Here's the question that MU Nation should be really thinking and worried about: How is his name going to fit on the jersey?

burger

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »
None of those schools were looking at him for 2009.  He just received word that he was going to be eligible this year, and as soon as he did, Buzz jumped on him.  They all assumed he was a 2010 recruit so they waited and got burned.

Self had gone to see him just before they found out he was eligable.....

This points to Buzz's contact database.....

It helps to know everyone and to be the first one to the dinner table!.....So to speak.....

The hardest working coach in College BBall!

bma725

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »
Here's the question that MU Nation should be really thinking and worried about: How is his name going to fit on the jersey?

Aren't we due for new uniforms anyway?  It seems they change every couple years, maybe he can go with the old school half circle or Johnson above the number and Odom below the number.

Dienerfor3

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »
Aren't we due for new uniforms anyway?  It seems they change every couple years, maybe he can go with the old school half circle or Johnson above the number and Odom below the number.

I think they should go back to the Nike's from 04-06 that were just before the current ones. 

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2009, 09:03:21 PM »
This is another one of those times where the premium content over at Scout is worth every penny.  Lets just say that if you read the content from Mark Miller's posts, you would be extremely excited about this commit.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2009, 09:04:04 PM »
Dude, Mjax was solid.

/Threadjack over
Agreed.  He was hurt his first year.  What's the kid gonna do?  I think it's time that the unfavorable attitudes towards his stay here get turned around.  He was pretty good when he finally got to full strength.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »
This is another one of those times where the premium content over at Scout is worth every penny.  Lets just say that if you read the content from Mark Miller's posts, you would be extremely excited about this commit.

It's already on the free board.   I was once a premium member, lets just say the worthwhile tidbits are few and far between. 

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2009, 09:24:30 PM »
It's already on the free board.   I was once a premium member, lets just say the worthwhile tidbits are few and far between. 

Well, I haven't seen everything that Mark originally posted on the premium board cross over to the free content but I imagine that will happen shortly.  I guess I prefer the high road and to hear it from Mark than someone paraphrasing what he said.  Nevertheless, this sounds like a great signing who was probably a much priority than D. Smith. 

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2009, 09:26:32 PM »
I think they should go back to the Nike's from 04-06 that were just before the current ones.

Tell me your kidding!  The new jerseys are sick!  Marquette has always been at the front of jerseys and believe it or not, high school kids are intrigued by the jerseys a team wears.  We are one of, someone correct me here, 4 or 5 teams in the nation to have 4 different jerseys.  I do not want these to change, plus their D-Wade's Converse brand........The new jerseys add so much to the player's mentality believe it or not.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2009, 09:27:27 PM »

We did fit Christopherson on a jersey, which is 2 more characters... it can be done. Though it will look really squished

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2009, 09:28:12 PM »
Well, I haven't seen everything that Mark originally posted on the premium board cross over to the free content but I imagine that will happen shortly.  I guess I prefer the high road and to hear it from Mark than someone paraphrasing what he said.  Nevertheless, this sounds like a great signing who was probably a much priority than D. Smith. 

I like Mark Miller, I used to purchase his newsletter when he had it, great investment until he discontinued it.  Think he's great for wisconsin hs basketball....just my opinion on the premium board.  

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »
Well, if you're Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech, you certainly don't waste resources on sending one of your coaches to bumblef*ck, Kansas on a guy you're not at least heavily considering offering a scholarship too.

Also, by the time he hit the market officially for 2009 instead of 2010, Buzz had the deal done.  If Buzz didn't see that much in this kid, and the big boys weren't going to give this kid the time of day, I'm sure Buzz would have probably taken a wait an see attitude.  Either way, Buzz got in and out before anyone else got word.

I second this post.  The NCAA limits the number of recruiting days each programs gets during the academic year, so if a guy stinks, you won't waste more than one day.  If all these schools are sending scouts, reducing the # of days they can look at other people, you can bet they think he's worth a look.