[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darius Johnson-odom is a Golden Eagle  (Read 49728 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Re: Darius Johnson-odom is a Golden Eagle
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »
from rivals...its all I could get, if any one subscribes please help out

January 22, 2009
Self checks-in on juco guard

Shay Wildeboor
JayhawkSlant.com

Wednesday was an extremely busy day Bill Self. He made the trip from Lawrence to Wichita to check-in on Perry Ellis, the elite prospect from Heights High School. Later that evening, Self was spotted at Hutchinson (KS) Community College. Apparently, he was there to get a closer look at Darius Johnson-Odom. Jayhawk Slant just spoke to Johnson-Odom and has the very latest inside.

Wednesday was an extremely busy day for Kansas head coach Bill Self. He made the trip from Lawrence to Wichita to check-in on Perry Ellis, the elite prospect from Heights High School. Later that evening, Self was spotted at Hutchinson (KS) Community College. Apparently, he was there to get a closer look at Darius Johnson-Odom, the 6-foot-2, 205-pound shooting guard. Jayhawk Slant just spoke to Johnson-Odom and has the very latest inside.

"Yes, Coach Self was at my game last night," said Johnson-Odom. "He was there to watch me play against Barton. "Kansas is one of the schools recruiting me right now. They just started showing interest in me recently.

"I don't have a visit planned yet, but that's something that could happen," he added. "Having Kansas involved in my recruitment is a real good step for me. I mean, Kansas is a great basketball program with a great tradition. They've also got great guards at Kansas. I'm glad Coach Self came to see me play."

After Wednesday night's victory over Barton Community College, Hutchinson's overall record improved to 15-4 and 4-1 in conference play.

Johnson-Odom has been an outstanding performer this season, which is one of the main reasons the Blue Dragon's have won 15-of-19 games this season.

Johnson-Odom is averaging 22.5-points and 6.6 rebounds per game. He's dished out a team-high 93 assists this season and has 31 steals.

On the court, there isn't much the talented shooting guard can't do.

"The season is going good," he said. "We beat Barton Community College last night (Wednesday). It was the first time Barton had lost a conference game this season. We gave them their first conference loss.

"I played pretty good last night," he added. "I had eight assists and 15-points. They did a lot of different things on defense and played a lot of zone, but I was able to get my teammates involved."

Because of his impressive play on the court, Johnson-Odom has emerged as one of the most heavily recruited prospects in the junior college ranks. Kansas isn't the only high-major program to stop by Hutchinson Community College this season, and they won't be the last."

"Pittsburgh has been by to see me this season," he said. "Tennessee has also been by to watch me play. Kentucky, Providence, Western Kentucky, Cincinnati, West Virginia and Virginia Tech are all interested in me. I have a real good relationship with Coach Seth Greenberg from Virginia Tech[/db].

"I have quite a few options to consider," he added. "I am going to take my time and see what happens. I am focused on the season right now. I will worry about my recruitment after the season is over."

Johnson-Odom is originally from Raleigh, N.C, and attended Wakefield High School.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »
Links aren't working but if you go to youtube and type in his name(s) he's got some video there. 

Articles--
http://www.newsobserver.com/821/story/545772.html

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...gl=us&ie=UTF-8
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:13:31 PM by Stone Cold »

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »
Butler was arguably the most valuable player in at least two of the big games in the last month of the season.  Syracuse especially.  The guy can play.

Just because Crean didn't know how to recruit JUCOs doesn't mean they can't contribute.  In Butler's case, he was qualified to go directly to a 4 year school--- so the concerns over the negative impact to the roster should be mitigated.  

How about the Blackledge reach?  Pure desperation.  He whiffed on Stemler (no prize himself) and just had to burn that money in his pocket.  Picked his tallest teammate and called it a day.  

Before we start freaking out about sullying our program's name, maybe we should wait to see (A) whether this is true and (B) whether this is a good kid.  Don't pre-judge based on having attended a JUCO.  

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 07:16:48 PM »
i dont know how good this kid is but He plays in a big time Juco conference.  People are mistaingly comparing Buzzes Juco recruits to creans.  crean signed kids that did not even score double figures for their Juco teams and all but 1 of them played DII junior college ball which is free hs ball.  Buzz has signed Juco all americans from Tyler, ottumwa, and now Hutchison which are three of the best Juco programs in the nation and have put dozens and dozens of players in the high d1 ranks and many mnay players in the NBA.  They also play against big time competiton on a nightly basis.  Again i dont know how good this kid is but he put up crazy numbers and had a whos who recruiting him.  I will defer to Buzz on this one
he are his stats kid look like he can flat out shoot..

http://www.hutchcc.edu/dragons/redsite/Basketballmen/2008-09%20Stats/2008-09%20HCC%20Men's%20Stats.html

nyg

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »
Maybe its a perception thing with me regarding the number of JUCOs on a roster.  Brings memories of Cincy and UNLV teams.  Yes they won, but there was always that factor, can't really explain the appropriate word.  Or maybe I am just discouraged because I am watching the McDonalds All American game on ESPN and no MU recruits playing.

Lets wait for the confirmation, but if true I am sure the staff knows what they are doing.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 07:38:07 PM »
Mark Miller has confirmed it.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 07:38:45 PM »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 07:40:25 PM »
Johnson-Odom was one of the top junior college players in the country as a freshman and was recently cleared and will be eligible next season for Buzz Williams.

Next season as in '09?

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »
Johnson-Odom was one of the top junior college players in the country as a freshman and was recently cleared and will be eligible next season for Buzz Williams.

Next season as in '09?
Yep.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
Is he DJ or DJO?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 07:43:25 PM »
Wow.   Good...gives a back up pg who can shift over to the 2 if we need it.   Still keep recruiting in '10 for a SG.

We know somebody is transferring...........

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
oh wow that is freaking huge...big time kid on campus in short order.  Wow Buzz is the man.  

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »
So do we now have any scholarships left for 2010 or was that the one just used on DJO?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »
They say 2009.  That means someone is leaving or redshirting.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 07:47:28 PM »

I'm wagering either A) a resolution to McMorrow's issue is pending, or B) someone (see Hazel) is transferring. 
The General has taken on a new command.

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »
I don't know that he is going to be coming off the bench. 

He sounds pretty spectacular.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »
A redshirt will still take up a scholarship. I'm guessing this points to a transfer. Even though they haven't been super open with Mcmorrow's status, they still have updated people on when he's getting checked out, so I think we'd hear if he for sure was done.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »
I'm wagering either A) a resolution to McMorrow's issue is pending, or B) someone (see Hazel) is transferring. 

my prediction is the latter

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
I've been reading a lot of articles about him and it seems like he is the real deal. I don't know what happened as to why he wasn't heavily recruited out of Highschool, maybe grades or something? Also he went to Patterson Prep after highschool and apparently did pretty well there too.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »
http://www.hutchcc.edu/dragons/redsite/Basketballmen/redmbkbrost.htm

Hopefully Buzz let him know he can't wear #3 at MU  ;)
The General has taken on a new command.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »
Not impressed with another JUCO

Though this does give us another PG with experience.

I guess I'll wait and see how well he does before I criticize

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2009, 08:01:28 PM »
Not impressed with another JUCO

Though this does give us another PG with experience.

I guess I'll wait and see how well he does before I criticize

Thanks for withholding your judgment. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
I'll be extremely impressed with Buzz's recruiting if he contributes, and I think he will.  He looks like an athletic freak (like DJ) and can shoot the three.  Will need to improve on PG duties I'm sure but he seems like the real deal out of JUCO.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2009, 08:04:10 PM »
I know some people won't be happy with another JUCO, but this guy is a very very good player.  He might be better that Dwight Buycks, and some have called Buycks the best JUCO guard in the country.

There's a reason the top schools were after him, and the list was only going to grow once word got out that he was eligible, but Buzz was able to close the deal first.

MUFan42

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2009, 08:06:28 PM »
Now since he is coming next year does that mean he will be a Sophmore like Butler was this yr?

feedback