Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does Gillispie Now Sit...  (Read 12280 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Does Gillispie Now Sit...
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:31:46 AM »
next to Buzz as his assistant coach?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
Re: Does Gillispie Now Sit...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:39:33 AM »
Lord knows we can afford it and yes I hope so.......realistically he will just sit on the metaphorical sidelines till another gig opens up.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:44:06 AM »
Gillispie will be hired somewhere as a HC in the aftermath of the domino effect that's about to happen.  If not, I would think he'd be a "consultant" to someone's staff while he sits out a year while waiting for a HC job to open up.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:57:44 AM »
Gillispie will be hired somewhere as a HC in the aftermath of the domino effect that's about to happen.  If not, I would think he'd be a "consultant" to someone's staff while he sits out a year while waiting for a HC job to open up.

Billy is an alcoholic that has been kicked out of numerous bars at kentucky.  He has some major issues that he needs to deal with.  He won't be at marquette thats for sure.

Furthermore, he has a reputation for being an alcoholic on the kentucky campus so this isn't some unsubstantiated rumor either.  How do I know this well I have a family member that goes to kentucky and there this is smoke there is fire. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:12:59 AM »
Billy is an alcoholic that has been kicked out of numerous bars at kentucky.  He has some major issues that he needs to deal with.  He won't be at marquette thats for sure.

Furthermore, he has a reputation for being an alcoholic on the kentucky campus so this isn't some unsubstantiated rumor either.  How do I know this well I have a family member that goes to kentucky and there this is smoke there is fire. 

Well, that's proof enough for me.

I have no idea if it is true or not, so I'm not denying it.  But I think you're making fairly serious accusations on fairly flimsy evidence.  "Having a reputation" of something and "where there is smoke..." are pretty much a text book examples of "unsubsantiated rumors."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
There are rumors on every campus about every coach and not all them are true, particularly the ones about high-profile coaches that are not doing well and are new on campus.  I'm not saying I know anything about Gillespie, but take the rumors at UK with a grain of salt.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:24:59 AM »
There are rumors on every campus about every coach and not all them are true, particularly the ones about high-profile coaches that are not doing well and are new on campus.  I'm not saying I know anything about Gillespie, but take the rumors at UK with a grain of salt.

For example, pictures of Larry Eustachy got out 7 years ago, but in today's camera phone/digital camera culture, there's no pictures of Gillespie.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »
The rumors for Gillispie are not UK specific.  They occurred while he was at A&M, UTEP and Tulsa.  He's even been arrested for DUI more than once.

http://www.kentucky.com/601/story/36115.html

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:05 AM »
I'd love to see the "numerous" bars in Lexington that kick the head coach of Kentucky out the door. That's just nonsense.

He may have a drinking problem, but unless he's puking on himself any establishment would benefit from having him as a patron. If he was that drunk, they'd just call him a cab. They wouldn't "throw him out."

Sometimes I wonder if people actually believe the stuff they post.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »
I'd be leery of bringing in Gillispie as an assistant. He's supposedly an excellent recruiter, but it's unlikely that he'd be an assistant for more than a year or two before getting another head coaching position. He could end up building relationships with recruits on behalf of MU but then "stealing" those recruits once he has his new gig.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »
Sometimes I wonder why "Thatman32" stole "That Guy"'s name......

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 09:55:13 AM »
I don't think he considers coming to Marquette either if/when he is let go.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:03:37 PM by wardle2wade »

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »
When did Gillispie turn into Jason Rabedeaux?

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »
Sometimes I wonder why "Thatman32" stole "That Guy"'s name......

i too have wondered the same thing.  That Guy was a lively change of pace around here... don't know why Thatman had to take the name.  I wonder where That Guy has been, he is well over his 1 week ban for calling the boxer boys D-Bags.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 10:09:26 AM »
I believe it is also common knowledge that UK hired a driver for him after the first few months of him taking the job.  "Where there's smoke, there's fire" is probably fairly accurate here..

Again, I have no personal knowledge, so I'm not denying anything.  But there are rumors (and now some second hand -- at best-- accounts) that Billy likes to party.  In my mind (your mileage may vary) this is far from proof of the underlying statement that I was responding to: "Billy is an alcoholic."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
Assuming these rumors are true and they were true at A&M, its interesting to consider where MU would be right now if UK hired Crean instead of Gillespie. Buzz wouldn't be the coach, but maybe we'd have recruited better and had that extra guy this past year?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 10:14:47 AM »
Hello boys....Im baccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Ive been quietly waiting in the wings to make my reappearance. Lets just say Scoop admin really know how to make a guy feel bad for calling a group of dbags "dbags".

Being banned from Scoop for a week really changed my life. I've spent most of my time off reflecting on life and how I can become a better person. It took a lot of soul searching, but at the end of it I guess I just realized im still a drunk prick who is going to do all that he can to ruffle some feathers around here.

ThatMan32 - really? Are you serious? Im hoping this is just a coincidence.

Im not going to get everyone all hot and bothered on this thread. As it doesn't really seem like the time or place. However, Ill be creeping around the board looking for a good time to chime in....most likely replying to one of the Golden Eagle alum/student posters who feels it necessary to have "Warrior" somewhere in his screen name.....yoink yoink yoink.

THAT GUY
"Did you see how many beers That Guy in front of us drank at the game?"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »
For example, pictures of Larry Eustachy got out 7 years ago, but in today's camera phone/digital camera culture, there's no pictures of Gillespie.

Bingo.

If Billy was really going out that much, you have to believe it would be captured somewhere.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 10:18:51 AM »
Enough with the ad hominem remarks; Gillespie may be a lot of things but its not clear that he has a drinking problem, at least publicly for that matter.  Keep your unfounded rumors that could bring libel charges to yourself....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 10:19:58 AM »
Call it just a hunch, but observing and listening to Buzz these past 360 days, he appears to be a very loyal and grassroots man. Coupled with the fact that BG is likely to receive a buyout of around 6 mil, the smart money says Gillispie is on the MU bench for a year or two.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »

THAT GUY

That was more interesting when...
1. Manny said it.
2. PRN said it.

I didn't even know you had left, but I am glad you enjoyed your vacation.  ;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »
For example, pictures of Larry Eustachy got out 7 years ago, but in today's camera phone/digital camera culture plus a ridiculously insane fanbase in a small town, there's no pictures of Gillespie.

fixed
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »

Ive been quietly waiting in the wings to make my reappearance. Lets just say Scoop admin really know how to make a guy feel bad for calling a group of dbags "dbags".

Being banned from Scoop for a week really changed my life. I've spent most of my time off reflecting on life and how I can become a better person. It took a lot of soul searching, but at the end of it I guess I just realized im still a drunk prick who is going to do all that he can to ruffle some feathers around here.

Bring it, Dude.

ThatMan32 - really? Are you serious? Im hoping this is just a coincidence.

Im not going to get everyone all hot and bothered on this thread. As it doesn't really seem like the time or place. However, Ill be creeping around the board looking for a good time to chime in....most likely replying to one of the Golden Eagle alum/student posters who feels it necessary to have "Warrior" somewhere in his screen name.....yoink yoink yoink.

THAT GUY
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:31:57 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »
If anyone believes that Billy Gilespie, the freaking head coach at KENTUCKY, would be an assistant anywhere, much less at MU for BUZZ WILLIAMS, is absolutely nuts. I hope there is no seriousness to this thread
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:34:36 AM by mikeDEANmeminger »

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 10:36:02 AM »

I actually had this in mind when I said it.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-KKYfQ8n8Q

Not Manny or PRN...
Randy Quaid at his finest
"Did you see how many beers That Guy in front of us drank at the game?"

feedback