Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: when will buzz learn  (Read 8145 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: when will buzz learn
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2009, 11:40:40 PM »
So then you're saying, using that example, Morril outcoached Buzz?   ;)   

Regardless, Buzz is a quality person, quality recruiter and that should pay huge dividends for him.  I honestly don't believe a coach wins or loses a game, at least most of the time.  Too many individual plays in a game to say one play, one timeout, one decision makes the entire game's outcome a reality.   But there are certainly those times within a game where management, etc, can be improved.  Buzz will learn, I have no doubts.

He knows what pieces we need to get better.....I believe Crean did, too, but couldn't get them to come to MU.  It's one thing to know, it's another to fill those pieces. Will he be able to do so?  That will ultimately decide if the program is successful or not under his leadership.

The book on Tom Crean is now all but officially closed....only one major player remains.  It's pretty much all Buzz moving forward.
I think that overall Morril did outcoach Buzz because our game plan was flawed. MU plays best when it plays "fast" on both ends of the floor. Buzz decided to play "fast" only on defense. We are too small and lack the outstanding shooters necessary to play "grind it out" basketball.
Down the stretch, though, Morril's team totally lost its composure. This is a bad reflection on a coach, especially when your team is the oldest in the tournament.