collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UWM Name Change  (Read 16194 times)

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
UWM Name Change
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:18:59 AM »
Some UWM students are pushing for a name change to University of Milwaukee. Here are a few articles about it.
http://blog.uwmpost.com/?p=569
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/41183987.html

Thoughts?

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: UWM Name Change
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:55:54 AM »
I'm all for a name change.  Perhaps 'Milwaukee College' would work. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 03:22:22 AM »
wouldn't actually be university of shorewood?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:58:53 AM »
wouldn't actually be university of shorewood?

Shorewood State?
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
It wasn't more than a couple years ago that some students were pushing for the name to be changed to Wisconsin State University.  That obviously failed miserably so I'm surprised this new proposal has come up.  However, I understand their argument that the hyphen in the current name suggests that the school is playing second fiddle to Madison.  If they change the name, I do think that 'University of Milwaukee' is the best option.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 02:38:10 PM »
If they decide to do that, I recommend

"University of Milwaukee - Wisconsin"

so as not to be confused with

"University of Milwaukie - Oregon."
SS Marquette

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »
I cracked up at this line from the UWM Post article:

Kristopeit added that he envisions a UWM that will directly compete with UW-Madison and Marquette. He said that if students vote to change the University’s name, the next step in the process is unclear.

Well, how exactly would changing the name help reach that goal?  Perhaps they should focus on other things, like raising their admission standards, improving their academic programs by hiring better-quality instructors (I've taken 2 classes there, and both classes have been brutal in terms of the teaching), and building a coherant campus community.  That might help their overall ability to compete with UW-Madison and MU.  They're making an effort certainly to improve, but they've got a far, far way to go.

You can change the name to whatever you want, but in the end, the name doesn't matter as much as what's going on behind the name. 
The General has taken on a new command.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 05:37:17 PM »
How about Milwaukee State ala Cleveland State or
Wisconsin Institute for Government and Health Care Workers
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 06:33:01 PM »
UWM really has come a long way in the last ten years or so.  But honestly, when most of your student body views you as simply as an extension of high school, you can only go so far.  My son is a senior in high school.  He knows a number of kids that went to UWM who were very disappointed with their on-campus experience.  Not many people stick around on the weekends, and there isn't much going on in that neighborhood.  (And it is in Milwaukee...not Shorewood.)

But if they want the name change, feel free.  If it makes them feel better about themselves good for them.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 03:39:51 AM »
I thought they were thinking about making UW-Whitewater - Wisconsin State...

might as well.. they are pretty stellar in all sports.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 07:41:06 AM »
I thought they were thinking about making UW-Whitewater - Wisconsin State...

They are not considering a name change and are perfectly happy in Division III.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 08:36:27 AM »

They are not considering a name change and are perfectly happy in Division III.

Whitewater used to be called Wisconsin State.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »
All UW Schools except Madison, Green Bay and Parkside used to be called "Wisconsin State."  The Wisconsin State system was a series of "Normal Schools" and later "Teachers Colleges."  The UW System was basically just Madison until the 60s until they opened Green Bay and Parkside.  They merged the two systems in the early 70s.  (That is why neither Green Bay nor Parkside are in Division III athletics BTW.  Parkside is in Division II.)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »
I think it's really good for the state if UWM becomes a stronger, bigger, better school.  They have more Wisconsin residents attending than UW-Madison does anyway. 

Anyone notice that the media (ESPN, CBSSports) started referring to UWM as "Milwaukee" and UWGB as "Green Bay" this year?  They always used to make it a point to call them the long, dragged out name "Wisconsin-Milwaukee" and "Wisconsin-Green Bay" in the past.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 08:11:38 AM »
This will never happen.

RaleighWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »
How about Glorified High School State

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 09:28:24 AM »
What is with MU fans hating on UWM...its a good school...will never be at MU's level academically or athletically which is why I don't understand the need to rip it 24/7....seems unnecessarily defensive.

Spend your energy hating the Badgers!!!!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 09:35:21 AM »
UWM really has come a long way in the last ten years or so.  But honestly, when most of your student body views you as simply as an extension of high school, you can only go so far.  My son is a senior in high school.  He knows a number of kids that went to UWM who were very disappointed with their on-campus experience.  Not many people stick around on the weekends, and there isn't much going on in that neighborhood.  (And it is in Milwaukee...not Shorewood.)

From what I've heard, a ton of students who start there are freshmen end up transferring, many trying to get into Madison.  That and I know of a couple from my high school that just dropped out.  I think I read a counterargument from someone awhile back with numbers that kind of disproved that as an overall assessment though.  As far as on-campus, it's not like Marquette's campus is booming or has anything to offer on weekends.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 09:48:40 AM »
What is with MU fans hating on UWM...its a good school...will never be at MU's level academically or athletically which is why I don't understand the need to rip it 24/7....seems unnecessarily defensive.

I, like most warriors that I know, started out caring less about UWM.  There's only so many times that I can be told that our education is overpriced and overrated, that we're just a bunch of rich kids living in the ghetto, and so on and so forth.  There's only so much chiding that one can take before one decides that going on the offensive is more effective and fun than turning the other cheek :)

Chili

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 10:20:54 AM »
I, like most warriors that I know, started out caring less about UWM.  There's only so many times that I can be told that our education is overpriced and overrated, that we're just a bunch of rich kids living in the ghetto, and so on and so forth.  There's only so much chiding that one can take before one decides that going on the offensive is more effective and fun than turning the other cheek :)

exactly. i used to root for shorewood state growing up. but now most of the hipsters who attend the small school on the east side prop themselves up by ripping on any one wearing mu stuff. and most of their arguments are so far off base and based on fallacy it make one hate them. well, more just annoyed.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »
Good luck with the name change, Shorewooders.

Let me know if changing the design of the wrapper makes the candy bar taste any better.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 02:02:04 PM »
and there isn't much going on in that neighborhood.

UWM students live in the best part of Milwaukee... the East side has WAY more to do than the area MU is in. I wish I didn't have to drive somewhere to go to a good, inexpensive restaurant. My food options right now are Real Chili, some overpriced downtown restaurant, or Golden Chicken in the middle of the ghetto. There are very few student friendly places to go around MUs campus.   

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »
I went to MU for 4.5 years (graduated a year ago) and never heard that much smack talk from UWM (except on a few message boards where people just go to look for an argument), and I partied w/ friends there quite often....I love MU, but the East Side's neighborhood is waaay better. UWM athletics suck balls, but they do have some very good academic programs (architecture comes to mind).

I just don't really see the point in hatin'....especially now that Bruce Pearl is gone, I have no reason to dislike UWM.

To be true rivals you have to be on a somewhat equal playing field...which will never happen with us and UWM.

Schools I do hate....UW, Pitt, ND, and the like.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:41:57 PM by ReneeRowarrior »

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 03:06:51 PM »
I think the hate is blown out of proportion. Most of us Warriors don't care one way or the other. On the other end, I live just south of UWM, and when I drive through their campus, I actually see quite a few of their students walking around in MU gear...

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 04:00:41 PM »
I don't think it's hate. It's almost more like pity.  :P
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

feedback