collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UWM Name Change  (Read 16193 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: UWM Name Change
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 04:46:48 PM »
I actually see quite a few of their students walking around in MU gear...

MU dropouts.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »
UWM students live in the best part of Milwaukee... the East side has WAY more to do than the area MU is in. I wish I didn't have to drive somewhere to go to a good, inexpensive restaurant. My food options right now are Real Chili, some overpriced downtown restaurant, or Golden Chicken in the middle of the ghetto. There are very few student friendly places to go around MUs campus.   

+1.  There's a reason nearly all MU grads that stay in Milwaukee move a lot closer to UWM's campus.

mu ricer22

• Scholarship Player
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 06:42:52 PM »
This will never happen.

this will never happen like when marquette tried to change the golden eagles to the GOLD
GTST

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »
+1.  There's a reason nearly all MU grads that stay in Milwaukee move a lot closer to UWM's campus.

This must be a new trend, because when I graduated in 1992, I didn't know a single person who stayed in the MKE area that moved to the East side.

Besides, it's dangerous on the East side...how can you see the cracks in the sidewalk when your nose is so high in the air.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 07:54:49 AM »

this will never happen like when marquette tried to change the golden eagles to the GOLD

No, it will never happen because they (the UWM administration) don't get to decide such things.  UWM is part of the UW system.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 08:49:40 AM »
This must be a new trend, because when I graduated in 1992, I didn't know a single person who stayed in the MKE area that moved to the East side.

Besides, it's dangerous on the East side...how can you see the cracks in the sidewalk when your nose is so high in the air.

Ditto here.  ('90).  I am actually kind of amazed with the "more things to do near UWM" comments because no one I knew thought that way when I was at MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 08:54:11 AM »
No, it will never happen because they (the UWM administration) don't get to decide such things.  UWM is part of the UW system.

I think that the current administration believes that having "University of Wisconsin" in their name helps though.  An aspiring reseach university tying their name to one of the better research universities in the country?  I can see why the current name would work just fine.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 09:18:53 AM »
True--it works for academics, but it's weak for sports.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »

Ditto here.  ('90).  I am actually kind of amazed with the "more things to do near UWM" comments because no one I knew thought that way when I was at MU.

The Marquette area has been pretty sanitized over the past couple decades. Others can speak better to the number of bars that have been eliminated but now it's pretty much just two bars on campus (besides the frosh bar - Angelos - and the campus bar - Annex). Very few decent food options though the Dog Haus and new burrito place (? - drawing a blank) are pretty popular. It says a lot about the campus bar/food atmosphere that most students are very willing to walk partway across the 16th street bridge, walk down to Saint Paul street and up to 19th and Saint Paul to popularize Sobelman's. Or, also, that students are willing to walk a mile or two to places on 3rd street or Water street on the weekends, even in winter.

Hanging out with The General on the Eastside, I can tell you that the food/bar/social options are much larger. Of course, they don't have the same access to downtown / Water street that MU students have.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »
The Marquette area has been pretty sanitized over the past couple decades. Others can speak better to the number of bars that have been eliminated but now it's pretty much just two bars on campus (besides the frosh bar - Angelos - and the campus bar - Annex). Very few decent food options though the Dog Haus and new burrito place (? - drawing a blank) are pretty popular. It says a lot about the campus bar/food atmosphere that most students are very willing to walk partway across the 16th street bridge, walk down to Saint Paul street and up to 19th and Saint Paul to popularize Sobelman's. Or, also, that students are willing to walk a mile or two to places on 3rd street or Water street on the weekends, even in winter.

Hanging out with The General on the Eastside, I can tell you that the food/bar/social options are much larger. Of course, they don't have the same access to downtown / Water street that MU students have.

+1

Only legitimate food options IMO are Dogg Haus and Real Chili, and I'd be hesitant to put Dogg Haus on the list.  I love Hegarty's, but it's definitely the only legitimate option on campus (Caff's and Murphy's are overcrowded, obnoxious, beligerent, and lacking of any character).  Annex isn't a bad choice to hang out and watch games, but for the most part, my wife and I leave campus if we want to go out for a meal.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 02:17:32 PM »
+1

Only legitimate food options IMO are Dogg Haus and Real Chili, and I'd be hesitant to put Dogg Haus on the list.  I love Hegarty's, but it's definitely the only legitimate option on campus (Caff's and Murphy's are overcrowded, obnoxious, beligerent, and lacking of any character).  Annex isn't a bad choice to hang out and watch games, but for the most part, my wife and I leave campus if we want to go out for a meal.

+2.

I think since they've eliminated any decent options on campus, they could at least run a shuttle down to Third or Water on the weekends.  Pointless that students have to either walk all the way there and back or else get ripped off, and in the case a couple weeks ago, assaulted by cab drivers to be able to get to any real entertainment on the weekends.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »
+1

Hello?!? Marquette Gyros!! And we just lost another fine establishment with the closing of Ziggies.

There are more bars close to campus besides Hegarty's, Caffrey's and Murphy's ..you are forgetting Harp and Shamrock and Conways...both decent places with plenty of character (and characters). And there is a new place called the Ballpark right across the 16th street bridge. And of course my favorite, Ricky's on State. But it is no comparison to 3rd st, water st, or the east side.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

There are more bars close to campus besides Hegarty's, Caffrey's and Murphy's ..you are forgetting Harp and Shamrock and Conways...both decent places with plenty of character (and characters).

Totally slipped my mind... I actually love Conway's.  Thursday night wings over there are great, and every once and a while the band isn't bad, either.  They've got a bluegrass band that comes through now and then.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 03:44:49 PM »
What is with MU fans hating on UWM...its a good school...will never be at MU's level academically or athletically which is why I don't understand the need to rip it 24/7....seems unnecessarily defensive.

Spend your energy hating the Badgers!!!!

Exactly.....  I follow the Homer and Mac rule and refer to UW-Madison as simply Madison because the other UDUB schools were Milwaukee, Green Bay, Whitewater...etc.

As an MU grad who also has been to UWM and not had quality academic instruction...my name for UWM is U Waste Money.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:01:58 PM by Badgerhater »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »
Eugene Kane's column in today's MJS called it "University of Wisconsin-Madison" in a basketball context.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

LON

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
Eugene Kane's column in today's MJS called it "University of Wisconsin-Madison" in a basketball context.

UWM(1)
UWM(2)

That's how I roll

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »
+2.

I think since they've eliminated any decent options on campus, they could at least run a shuttle down to Third or Water on the weekends.  Pointless that students have to either walk all the way there and back or else get ripped off, and in the case a couple weeks ago, assaulted by cab drivers to be able to get to any real entertainment on the weekends.

Guys, it's a college campus.

Most college kids chose to eat crappy food because it's all they can afford, or they are too drunk to know that the food isn't really good. (for the record, I love Marquette Gyros).

Restaurants struggle to stay in business on/near campus because the population drops significantly in the summer.

The eastside has a much larger "neighborhood" to draw people from, and therefore more decent food options. MU's "neighborhood" is only 6-7k, and most are really only around for 9 months out of the year.

I don't think it's MU's fault that there are less food options, I think it's just economics.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »
Most college kids chose to eat crappy food because it's all they can afford

I can find a lot of places on the east side to eat at that are sit down and much nicer than Qudoba/Real Chili/Dog Haus and cost about the same amount of money. To eat at any of these places, it is about $7 bucks a person with a drink (Real Chili is probably a tad cheaper). Try going to Abu's, Riverwest Co-Op, or Nessun Dorma. You can eat for $7-$8 bucks a person at each of these places. MU students eat at all the fast food restaurants on campus because many don't have cars, and of those that do, I know a lot that don't drive beyond water street. A lot of MU students, for whatever reason, do not seem to explore Milwaukee.

Restaurants struggle to stay in business on/near campus because the population drops significantly in the summer.

The eastside has a much larger "neighborhood" to draw people from, and therefore more decent food options. MU's "neighborhood" is only 6-7k, and most are really only around for 9 months out of the year.

There is some truth to this, but I also think that there are enough students here over the summer to sustain business. Real Chili and Jimmy Johns survive, right? At least 1/3 of the campus stays here over the summer. The only people who really leave are the freshman and sophomores because they have no where to live. Most other students with apartments have a lease still in the summer, so they find jobs here.

Edit: Forgot to delete leftover quote.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:22:58 PM by chuncken »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Those restaurants around UWM aren't there because of the students.  They are there because that neighborhood is more affluent than MU's.  Many UWM faculty and staff live around campus.  Not many live in MU's neighborhood.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »
My hate for UWM built during the MU/UWM scheduling fiasco.  They thought they were something special, and thought they should be treated differently than every other mid-major that tires to get a game with a major program. 

The quote that really got to me was from the moron Bud Haidet, after they turned down the market value offer from MU, for a buy game: "The value of our program must be recognized"

Unfortunately...the Milwaukee media pretty much took the UWM side of the arguement (big surprise) and the true story never came out.

What a joke. Nothing made me happier than when we embarassed them the first year. Going into that game, I kept saying that "no margin of vicotry" could be high enough. The end of the game was great...beating them by 50...still taking charges...the bench/Crean going crazy...I was definately satisfied with the way that turned out.

UWM can call themselves whatever they want...they are a joke, and will never have my respect.

I dont care how much it hurts our RPI, i hope they lose every single game they played

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »
I can find a lot of places on the east side to eat at that are sit down and much nicer than Qudoba/Real Chili/Dog Haus and cost about the same amount of money. To eat at any of these places, it is about $7 bucks a person with a drink (Real Chili is probably a tad cheaper). Try going to Abu's, Riverwest Co-Op, or Nessun Dorma. You can eat for $7-$8 bucks a person at each of these places. MU students eat at all the fast food restaurants on campus because many don't have cars, and of those that do, I know a lot that don't drive beyond water street. A lot of MU students, for whatever reason, do not seem to explore Milwaukee.

There is some truth to this, but I also think that there are enough students here over the summer to sustain business. Real Chili and Jimmy Johns survive, right? At least 1/3 of the campus stays here over the summer. The only people who really leave are the freshman and sophomores because they have no where to live. Most other students with apartments have a lease still in the summer, so they find jobs here.

Edit: Forgot to delete leftover quote.

The eastside's neighborhood is full of a lot of 20-something professionals.

MU's neighborhood has very few professionals.

As far as staying open during the summer, I used to think MU was a very viable place for restaurants and such (much like you do)... But after seeing several go in and out of business over the past 10 years, I have to think that lack of neighborhood support (ie young professionals living in the area) and a transient population are the primary drivers for these repeated failures.

I don't think MU's fault that there aren't more food choices available (as implied in previous posts).

If a place like Abu's, Nessun Dorma, or Cafe Lulu thought they could make money in MU's neighborhood, they would open up a place.

With all of this said, maybe there is a young entrepreneurial chef out there who think he/she can make it work on MU's campus. More power to that person... I could be proven wrong if somebody could make it work.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2009, 04:13:45 PM »
"they turned down the market value offer from MU, for a buy game"  Could someone explain?  I don't know what that means.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
"they turned down the market value offer from MU, for a buy game"  Could someone explain?  I don't know what that means.

***Disclaimer...my numbers may be slightly off, but I believe they are pretty damn close****

At the time they were negotiating the contract "market value" for a buy game was in the $40K to $50K range. UWM wouldn't accept those terms because, as Haidet put it: "The value of the program must be recognized."

At the same time, respected mid-major programs, for example Wichita State, never got more then $45K for a buy game. Their coach was quoted in an article, saying as much.

So...where does UWM get off saying that they deserve more than the market value for these games?  I believe they wanted close to $80K per game!!!

In the end, MU and UWM ended up coming to an agreement on the terms...only after UWM alums donated a significant amount of money to get it done. I think each game is in the 60K range...increasing a little bit every year.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 06:02:58 AM »
Thanks.