[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A Letter To Jerel McNeal  (Read 5807 times)

bradforster

• All American
A Letter To Jerel McNeal
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
Dear Jerel,

Over the past four years I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you play the game.  Your defensive tenacity and indomitable spirit are greatly appreciated by MU fans from coast to coast.  With an unparalleled work ethic, you've improved your game exponentially since lacing up the sneakers as a freshman.  That being said, I have a few simple requests heading in to the most important time of your highly decorated career.  I've listed them, in no particular order, in this note of both gratitude and friendly advice. 

1) When you draw two or three defenders, the immutable laws of basketball physics state someone else must be unguarded, and therefore in a greatly enhanced position to put the ball through the cylinder.  Please think about passing the ball to said unguarded teammate for a higher percentage opportunity. 

2) Please consider letting another member of your team feel the finely made round leather object before settling for a contested 22 foot jumper with 15 seconds left on the shot clock.  Other guys like to touch the ball too, and there should be four of them standing in fairly close proximity to you.   

3) When an opposing player releases a three point attempt, put your hand in his face, but don't hit him like Ike Turner after a bad meal.   

4) I haven't measured you personally, but the program says you stand six feet three inches tall.  Please don't drive to the rim like a 6'10 whirling dervish against really lengthy people who patrol the interior. There is a high probability the ball will come back with tremendous force and lead to a fast break for the other team.     

5) If you miss a shot, it doesn't necessarily mean you were fouled.  Please refrain from wallowing in self pity, holding a conference with the officials, and meandering to the other end of the floor.  Your teammates need your help on the defensive side even when you fail to put the ball through the basket.  As of late, this has been especially important.   

I hope you take this advice into consideration before hitting the court next week.  I feel confident these words of wisdom will serve you much better than any Bernie Madoff or Jim Cramer could have dispensed. 

Thank you for your time, and best of luck in the NCAA tournament.

Sincerely,

Brad Forster
Ardent Marquette BB supporter

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:50:35 PM by bradforster »

Norm

• All American
Re: A Letter To Jerel McNeal
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »
That was awfully sarcastic for a letter written in both "gratitude and friendly advice."

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:21:05 AM »
I'm sure Jerel, who is a first team BIG EAST player and almost assuredly an NBA draft pick will take time to read a letter written by some bozo on a message board. Get a life.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:12:50 AM »
Show a little respect to our seniors. 
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 05:39:27 AM »
Dear Brad,
Shut up.

Warmest regards,
Adam

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
Brad,

Where was the:

PS. I have done absolutely nothing in life to indicate that I have any qualifications whatsoever to counsel a college basketball player in the nuances of college basketball. Therefore, my "letter to Jerel" is absolutely worthless.

You can't be serious? Ridiculous.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:14:52 AM »
Awesome letter.  Well-written, honest, and a nice summation of McNeal's recent level of play.  Thank you for summarizing what most of us have been saying to each other for the past few games.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »
+1,000,000

Could Buzz sit JMac down and read this?

I would hope Jmac would understand that if he looked for assists, that his offense will come to him.

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »
I've read some incredibly stupid things on this board over the years but this post takes the cake.

Well done.

romey

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 12:05:21 PM »
Not sure why this is a "stupid" post, or ridiculous.  Which of these points does not have some truth to it?

LON

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 12:05:55 PM »
Maybe not the best format, but are any of those things untrue?

LON

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 12:06:24 PM »
Not sure why this is a "stupid" post, or ridiculous.  Which of these points does not have some truth to it?

Beat me to it

romey

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 12:08:38 PM »
Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying we're better off without him, or he's a bad player.  He's just done some things recently on the court that show there's room for improvement going into the tourney.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 01:35:12 PM »
Dear Brad

In all honesty and support of you....Shut up

Thanks

warriormom

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 02:30:29 PM »
Dear Brad,
I am sure Jerel has never heard any of these things before.  Thank God you were able to figure things out.  You should probably send that letter to Buzz and the coaches too as they haven't been able to see any of those things yet.
Thanks for your time

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »
"Ardent Marquette BB supporter"  ::)

romey

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
Can someone tell me what has been said in this "letter" that hasn't been said in other threads, that doesn't have some truth to it.  Gees, the guy uses a little creativity, puts in a letter format, and he's attacked as if he's spewing untruths.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »
I have yet to read any posts demonstrating the falsity in his Brad's letter.  I'd allow the letter is sarcastic, and not necessarily nice, but it is has the benefit of truth.  If you feel the letter is a lie, stop attacking Brad and point out the falsehoods.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »
I aplogize Fred Forster for attacking your son. 
I understand that you are just protecting your son.

With sincerest gratitude,
Adam

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 03:16:14 PM »
With all due respect to McNeal...I thought Brad was pretty damn funny....and remarkable right on. 

MU_Warrior44

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 03:42:35 PM »
+100000

I thought the letter was very nicely done and (sadly) it was right on the money.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »
Why is this post any different than the multiple threads that were up about McNeal immediately following the game against Nova? All he did was basically summarize all those posts and put it into one Jerel flame-full thread.  You guys should be happy he's consolidating everything to one thread so we don't have to wade through countless threads on the subject.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 04:34:41 PM »
I think that besides being sarcastic, the letter came off as quite condescending, treating McNeal as if he was in elementary school. I know I thought the author came off as a wisenheimer.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »
I would suggest an email or posting on his FB wall.  No one reads the mail anymore, too much direct mail junk.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 05:01:20 PM »
While he makes some bad decisions, without McNeal we are nowhere near as good.  So we have to expect some bad games and bad decisions.  For all the big shots he's made, and games he has won, I can take some losses.

feedback