[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Posting Privileges  (Read 7126 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Posting Privileges
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:46:49 AM »
Just thought I'd throw it out there-

I've seen a couple of posters who just registered yesterday, and have been less than stellar additions to the board. I'm not totally sure about this, but do a lot of the people who come out of the woodwork after losses register same day?

What about putting a time period in between activation and posting privileges? Once you activate the account, you can post in 48 hours or something like that.

Just an idea, unfortunately there's an element on the board that has made it very tough to read- especially after losses. I typically prefer Scoop, but have found myself spending more time at Scout, since there's less knee-jerk first time posters over there.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
Re: Posting Privileges
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »
wouldn't stop it.  they can always post as a guest i believe.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
No one can post as a guest.

.. um, that's not a half bad idea.  Heck, even if it was a 2 hour waiting period.   For those who just want to do a drive-by jag fest .. they need their fix immediately.   Might be worth thinking about.

squirrel

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »
No one can post as a guest.

.. um, that's not a half bad idea.  Heck, even if it was a 2 hour waiting period.   For those who just want to do a drive-by jag fest .. they need their fix immediately.   Might be worth thinking about.

When Nola03 has been posting recently, his id had been "guest" - what's up with that?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »
isn't nola also detroit something or other and and some sn name having to do with futbol?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 11:48:33 AM »
isn't nola also detroit something or other and and some sn name having to do with futbol?

NOLA? New Orleans, LA

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »
When Nola03 has been posting recently, his id had been "guest" - what's up with that?

yeah that's what I was thinking of as well.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
I haven't seen the NOLA name post, specifically .. but if you delete your account, and we've had people do that, so they can change their names .. the old posts will then show up as "guest" posts.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
that's probably what happened.  carry on, then.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 06:50:29 PM »

he had something abt Arshavin to Arsenal but haven't heard from him in a while/don't know what he changed it to if he did again.

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »
this is a very elitist way of approaching this board. this is why mu has over 8000 students and countless alumnus but only 300 or so consistent posters.

different minded should be welcomed sl this place doesn't become a marquette blow fest. irrational transgressions after a loss is part of being a sports fan.  you don't have to listen, respect, or read, but modifying access because you don't like what people has to say is just plain pathetic.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »
this is a very elitist way of approaching this board. this is why mu has over 8000 students and countless alumnus but only 300 or so consistent posters.

Uh, the only thing being discussed in this thread is a "waiting" period to post.

Apart from that, I'm going to take HUGE exception to any idea that MUScoop is somehow an "elitist" community.  Anyone can freely register, and we don't ban (or censor) with any regularity.

In fact, many people that get "banned" get a temporary ban.  The exceptions to that are known trolls, and people who try to "hack" their way back in after being banned.  We're pretty forgiving, but we don't want to spend too much time moderating people, so we only insist that people can moderate themselves enough to be respectful to other members.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 12:53:30 AM »

different minded should be welcomed sl this place doesn't become a marquette blow fest. irrational transgressions after a loss is part of being a sports fan.  you don't have to listen, respect, or read, but modifying access because you don't like what people has to say is just plain pathetic.

Wow... not sure where to start. First, I completely agree with Rocky... I think this board is very open to people, and a lot of things that would get deleted elsewhere are allowed to stand. Far from elitist.

I'm not suggesting we shut down the boards after losses. All I'm saying is to make people wait a day to post when they sign up. I think it would cut down on the "drive by" nature of some posters who register when we lose and start spouting off. It brings down the overall quality of discussion.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 01:17:36 AM »
I don't think this is that far-fetched of an idea.  I know a couple other fan boards (HoyaTalk, ND Nation) do something similar as well.

Everyone does have to start somewhere in terms of developing a reputation on this board; I know that certainly I took some beatings in my early days on this board (and still do despite being up to 350+ posts).  Newbies can certainly have intellegent thoughts, but for every thoughtful new poster we get, it seems like we drag in 2 of the "drive by"-types who come here to flame palyers/coaches only after losses. 

In the end, to me, I'll read and respond to your posts if you have something substantive to contribute to the board no matter how many posts you have.  But if you're just going to show up and flame away and add nothing serious/substantial to the conversation, I (and plenty of others here) won't waste our time. 
The General has taken on a new command.

feedback