Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2009 SPRING RECRUITING THREAD  (Read 16471 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: 2009 SPRING RECRUITING THREAD
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2009, 06:38:59 PM »
You need to read up on Kane before you start making comments like that, there's a couple things that make the other schools on his list not matter so much.

1.  It was a final four, with Virginia included, but when Leitao got fired he dropped UVA.
2.  Pitt has had a standing scholarship offer for Kane since 2007.  They want him bad.  They wanted him when he left HS last year, but couldn't fit him in.  They are the ones that placed him at the prep school when he reclassified.  There has even been talk that he verballed to Pitt two or three times in the past. 
3.  Marshall and Rhode Island are there because they have guaranteed him playing time.  He wants to go somewhere and play right away, that's why Pitt is no longer involved.  Both Marshall and URI have supposedly promised major playing time as a frosh.

I've read all I need to know.  As far as your points:
1. Virginia sucks.  That's why their coach was fired.
2. Pitt couldn't fit him in?  They fit Levance Fields in.  If he was so great they would have found a spot.  Pitt wants him for depth.  He is a 3-star recruit.  He would be to Pitt what Cubes is to MU.
3. Marshall & RI have guaranteed him playing time.  Of course he's interested because he would be riding pine @ Pitt - plus as Stone Cold stated, he's got a buddy @ Marshall.

In the initial post by Wade the Warrior: "Recruitment has been very odd to say the least as he has decommited from two different schools meaning he could be more trouble than he's worth"  I agree!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »
I hope he isn't hitting the recruiting trail hard this week as this is a "no contact" period.  Buzz said as much on his radio show last night.  He said he was going to visit with all of the players already committed but that he can not be in communication with non-committed players.

I must have misread something out here in Vegas after a few beers during the Mizzou game.  Although Buzz will be visiting Junior down in Texas and Junior's got a very athletic, uncommitted teammate that's he's close to...!  It doesn't hurt to dream!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2009, 09:33:51 PM »
It's a non-contact period so he can't talk to Williams, but I'm sure him being there will make junior add a little more input to Latavious as to why he should follow him to MU.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2009, 09:49:09 PM »
I realize he can't talk to Williams but his relationship with Junior can't hurt.

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »
The reality of the situation is that none of us know what is going to happen, so lets all stop speculating who is going to leave, and lets just let everything unfold. The fun of the off-season is not knowing which new recruits we might get. In due time everything will be revealed.

The other thing to remember is that all of these kids we are recruiting are 17-18, what might seem like a good idea one day, may not be a good idea the next. They may say we are on a list or we are the leader, but that can all change with one promise, or one bribe from another coach.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2009, 02:06:22 AM »
Toss Marcus Jordan on this list too.  Getting interest from MU, Davidson, Arizona State, and Oklahoma per the Chicago Tribune.  6'2"/6'3" combo guard that just lead his HS team to the Illinois state championship.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2431427
The General has taken on a new command.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2009, 08:51:09 AM »
Toss Marcus Jordan on this list too.  Getting interest from MU, Davidson, Arizona State, and Oklahoma per the Chicago Tribune.  6'2"/6'3" combo guard that just lead his HS team to the Illinois state championship.

that would be awesome if MJ started coming to games, haha

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2009, 09:10:04 AM »
Liam's illness could change the recruiting picture drastically. I pray he's OK.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »
With all the sanctions about to be unleashed on Florida State, has anyone heard any rumors about Michael Snaer possibly de-committing?  We were in his top two or three schools, so it would make sense that if he decides not to go to FSU we might be back in the running.

I thought those sanctions were all football related?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2009, 10:02:06 AM »

Anybody know much about Marcus?  I remember last year, it was said that Marcus was a much better player than his brother who's currently getting minutes with the Illini.  How'd Marcus do this year?  I know he went as a preferred walk-on but ended up with a scholarship.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
More info on Marcus Jordan... seems like a glue guy.  Perhaps something in the mold of Wes...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/chi-090324-marcus-jordan-recruiting-update,0,6343512.story

By Mike Helfgot |  Special to the Tribune
    7:51 PM CDT, March 24, 2009

Add Stanford and Butler to the list of teams pursuing Marcus Jordan, whose stock appears to be rising since he led Young to the Class 4A basketball championship last weekend.

The younger son of Michael Jordan -- his brother, Jeff, plays at Illinois -- has only one official offer, from Toledo. But Davidson, Oklahoma, Arizona State and Marquette have shown strong interest, according to Brian Davis, Jordan's summer-team coach since 7th grade and his representative in the recruiting process.

"My phone has been ringing off the hook since the weekend," Davis said. Jordan scored 22 points in Young's semifinal victory over Thornton and 19 in the championship-game win against Waukegan.

Davis cited two reasons why the unsigned senior hasn't been on more schools' radars for the late-signing period, which begins April 15.

"One, he is son of MJ," Davis said. "Yes, he is the son of the greatest player ever, but they don't know how to treat him -- how do we handle the situation? How do we get in touch with him? They just don't know how to recruit him.

"They figure he's too good for the mid-majors and they figure Michael is going to take care of it. He's stuck in limbo. If he had a different name than Jordan it would be simple."

The other reason?

"They don't know what position he plays," Davis said. "We see him as a combo guard, a 1 and a 2, and some want him to be one or the other. I look at him as a basketball player. He does anything he can to win."

Davis said Jordan will not follow the lead brother Jeff, who chose to walk on at Illinois rather than accept a scholarship to Valparaiso. Illinois has since given Jeff a scholarship.

"He wants to go somewhere that really wants him," Davis said. "He wants a scholarship off the bat.

"The kid is a winner. I don't see what these coaches are missing. If I was starting a team, he'd be the first player I pick."

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:10:15 AM by LastWarrior »

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
I think glue guy is a good description.  From the couple of times I've seen him, he would be a starter at the mid-major level, but probably moreso of a solid rotation player at a major program, a la Joe Chapman here at MU. 

I don't think he has Wes' ceiling, though, because of the size and lack of position, whereas Wes has ideal size (maybe not quickness) for an NBA 2-guard.  But he'd be an ideal Chapman-type player potentially, the type of solid, not spectacular guy that Crean always struggled to find when he was here since he always seemed to land studs (Wade, Diener, Novak, James, McNeal, Matthews, Hayward) or whiff completely (see the recruiting class of 2003) with very little of the Joe Chapman and Ousmane Barro-types in between.  And the very type of guy Jimmy Butler was for us this year, and that we need a few more of on our bench.
The General has taken on a new command.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »
Marcus Jordan - ESPN Report... http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=43449

Grade: 87

Evaluation

January, 2009: Jordan plays with maximum effort and intensity, ranking as a very good-glue guy, giving his team a boost in a number of categories on the court. He has very good athleticism, leaping ability, and quickness which allow him to excel in the open court, attacking the rim in transition. His hops helps him to finish in traffic when he gets to the rim and he has good body control and strength , which allows him to take contact at the rim, adjust in the air and still finish. Jordan, a lefty, can finish at the rim with just as easily with his right as he does with his left. He has a low release point on his jumper and would become a more consistent shooter from the perimeter if he releases the ball higher, an Achilles heel from Jordan at this point. His strength allows him to defend bigger players in the paint as well as battle for rebounds in traffic. Jordan also does a good job of playing passing lanes for steals. He passes the ball very well and sometimes plays as a point guard due to his ability to find open teammates. Jordan battles on every possession and does not take plays off.

December, 2008: Jordan is a strong and physical guard that is a good athlete. He is a lefty that loves to drive to his right to score. He has a good touch off the glass where he can hang and score. In transition he sprints the wing or he can rebound and start the break. Jordan can finish above the rim when he is ahead of the pack. He is a strong two foot vertical leaper. Jordan has a good mid range pull up but is streaky at best from behind the arc where he needs time and space to knock down the three. On drives to the rim Jordan uses his strength to dribble through contact to get to where he wants on the floor. He must work on his passing on the move and develop a scoring attack going right. He is a good on ball defender when he does not gamble for steals. Jordan is a solid mid major shooting guard.

July, 2008: Jordan consistently leads his team in scoring, with most of his points coming from his power moves and persistent drives to the hoop. Being the son of the legendary Michael Jordan is a heavy burden for any young man to have to carry. However to his credit, Marcus plays his game, his way. His trademark is using his very quick first step and strength to power to the basket, and for the most part, he is successful. However he lacks a consistent outside shot, and defenders soon learn to stay in front of him and prevent his trademark hoop moves. Again to his credit, he has improved his outside shooting accuracy. Most of Jordan's current college suitors are mid-majors. In every event he has attended this month he has performed at a high level, so don't be surprised if he plays for a high-major college.

June, 2008: Marcus is a smart player who can play either guard position. The southpaw's three-point shot has come a long way, to the point where he is now a very consistent threat from behind the arc. Although he doesn't have the type of explosive first step you might expect, he maximizes his potential getting to the rim by playing very low to the ground and taking long strides through the lane. Jordan is also a very powerful guard with a muscular frame that helps him to finish at the rim against contact. But he is plenty capable of pulling up off the dribble, and even does a nice job of creating space for his pull-up with a quick step back move. Jordan's overall handle is also very solid. That combined with good floor vision and passing ability, as well as excellent composure with the ball in his hands, allows him to slide to the point guard position when necessary. Marcus has also done a tremendous job of developing his weaker right hand as he scores in the lane and passes off the dribble with both hands. Overall, Marcus has a game and a physique that is already equipped for the next level.

November, 2007: The youngest son of NBA legend Michael Jordan, Marcus Jordan is a very good looking high school prospect. Marcus recently transferred to Whitney Young HS in Chicago and he should benefit from the increased competition at Whitney Young. Marcus is a very good athlete and has a very quick first step to the basket. He is strong for his class and is very good at using his body to finish at the rim. Jordan needs to become a more consistent shooter and will need to become a better playmaker for others as well. Currently, he is more athlete than player, but he has all the tools to become a special player as long as he works on developing his game.
Notes

Son of NBA legend Michael Jordan...Travel Team: Illinois Rising Stars...

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
I don't see how you could go wrong with taking Marcus Jordan........however if Liam's status is highly in doubt then I say we put a center on this list

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2009, 02:37:44 PM »
Even if Jordan was a career 2nd or 3rd stringer (not saying he is), the impact of Dad being involved, even ever so slightly, in the program would clearly boost our prestige and ability to recruit.  Are his sons' talent levels beneath NC?  I assume so since they are not mentioned that I know of.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
MJ + D. Wade adverts for MU?  Yes please :)

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2009, 02:50:42 PM »
Even if Jordan was a career 2nd or 3rd stringer (not saying he is), the impact of Dad being involved, even ever so slightly, in the program would clearly boost our prestige and ability to recruit.  Are his sons' talent levels beneath NC?  I assume so since they are not mentioned that I know of.

I honestly haven't noticed any increase on the "prestige meter" at Illinois now that MJ's oldest son is there...so I don't know how you can verify this claim.

MU_Warrior44

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2009, 02:51:14 PM »
Even if Jordan was a career 2nd or 3rd stringer (not saying he is), the impact of Dad being involved, even ever so slightly, in the program would clearly boost our prestige and ability to recruit

+1000000

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2009, 02:58:12 PM »
I honestly haven't noticed any increase on the "prestige meter" at Illinois now that MJ's oldest son is there...so I don't know how you can verify this claim.

I think it helps though. I know if I'm watching a tv with my friends and see Illinois on, I'll pause to see if Jeff is playing or if MJ is in the crowd. Also, Sportscenter will show MJ in the crowd if he is at the game, so there is a little added media attention. Also, the fact that Marcus is supposed to be a fair amount better than Jeff could help. People thought Jeff only got on Illinois because of his dad, and he was a walk-on not expected to play much, and Jeff has made a nice niche for himself at Illinois, Marcus could be a real solid player. How many state championships do you see make it to Sportscenter without it being an amazing game winner or game? I think it certainly wouldn't hurt if he came here, and he can play too. As much as we hope, not everyone is going to be a star recruit, we do need those glue guys and it appears Marcus is one of them.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »
Far more positives than negatives...and, if he's got any of his old man's work ethic and competitive fire, LOOK OUT!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2009, 03:11:02 PM »
how would someone compare marcus and kane?

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2009, 03:19:57 PM »
We just went thru 8 years of the marketing master, and it didn't materialize into the depth of roster that we need to win the Big East.  We are already at the pinnacle of the best conference in the country - we need players.  If he can play at the highest level, then great.  But if not, we don't need him riding the pine for the sole purpose of having MJ in the stands.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2009, 04:53:48 PM »
+1000000

If Jordan is going to advertise for any school, it is his alma mater.  Just ask Bobby Frasor.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »
MJ + D. Wade adverts for MU?  Yes please :)

Since you brought it up, would we be a Team Wade or Team Jordan school then? ;)
SS Marquette

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2009, 08:14:23 AM »
Since you brought it up, would we be a Team Wade or Team Jordan school then? ;)

Well, Nike owns Converse, so I'm sure they could work something out. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.