2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2009 SPRING RECRUITING THREAD  (Read 16473 times)

Markusquette

• All American
Re: 2009 SPRING RECRUITING THREAD
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 06:44:40 PM »
I could see Cubillan leaving possibly, and I wouldn't mind if we managed to pick up Kane or the longshot Darius Smith.  Regardless I think we will get at least one player since all signs point to Hazel's transfer.

Who seems like our most likely candidates?  Bryant and Kane I assume.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 07:03:38 PM »

After the report tonight fron the BET about Bryant, I'm most optimistic about landing him.
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball_recruits/glenn_bryant

Rocky... what report are you referring to?
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »
Rocky... what report are you referring to?

someone said bryant walked past the MU section at the BET and said "see ya next year".
But I like to throw handfuls...

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 07:29:43 PM »
If we get Bryant hopefully he is good friends with doron lamb so maybe we could pick him up for '10

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »
someone said bryant walked past the MU section at the BET and said "see ya next year".

Here's the thread -
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=13070.msg121283#msg121283

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 09:25:01 PM »
Thanks guys!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2009, 10:05:14 PM »
I think Aker can now see that he will be important to next years team, so there is a reason for him to stay. I think there is a 100% chance that Hazel is gone, 75% chance the Culliban is gone and a 50% that Otule is gone. If McMorrow is significantly better than Otule, then I think Otule leaving goes up to 90%.

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 12:37:33 AM »
I heard thet Jerel's got only one class, only one day a week this semester.  That doesn't sound like too bad of a gig.

Not sure how many classes he has, but he's in one of mine (Dwight too) and we meet twice a week. Still a pretty good gig.

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 10:33:47 AM »
I think Aker can now see that he will be important to next years team, so there is a reason for him to stay. I think there is a 100% chance that Hazel is gone, 75% chance the Culliban is gone and a 50% that Otule is gone. If McMorrow is significantly better than Otule, then I think Otule leaving goes up to 90%.

How do you account for your conclusions and percentages?
Once a warrior always a warrior.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/24/sherrod-wright-to-visit-george-mason-deandre-kane-jarrid-famous-updates/

Former Seton Hall commit DeAndre Kane of The Patterson (N.C.) School is down to Marshall, Marquette and Rhode Island, according to Patterson coach Chris Chaney.

Does not speak very highly of this recruit that Marshal and Rhode Island are in his final three with Marquette.

I say pass.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »
Does not speak very highly of this recruit that Marshal and Rhode Island are in his final three with Marquette.  I say pass.

+!
I always look at other schools our recruits have interest from.  This is not impressive.  Maybe that's why Buzz is hitting the recruiting trail hard this week!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »
With all the sanctions about to be unleashed on Florida State, has anyone heard any rumors about Michael Snaer possibly de-committing?  We were in his top two or three schools, so it would make sense that if he decides not to go to FSU we might be back in the running.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »
Former Seton Hall commit DeAndre Kane of The Patterson (N.C.) School is down to Marshall, Marquette and Rhode Island, according to Patterson coach Chris Chaney.

Does not speak very highly of this recruit that Marshal and Rhode Island are in his final three with Marquette.

I say pass.

good call.  you know, i'm really glad we never tried to recruit Stephen Curry, or Patty Mills, or any other players on Mid-Major programs.  I mean, god, they play for mid-major programs.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2009, 12:27:54 PM »
Normally I agree about the relevance of other schools involved, but this late in the game the number of schools with open slots is limited.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2009, 01:04:26 PM »
+!
I always look at other schools our recruits have interest from.  This is not impressive.  Maybe that's why Buzz is hitting the recruiting trail hard this week!

I hope he isn't hitting the recruiting trail hard this week as this is a "no contact" period.  Buzz said as much on his radio show last night.  He said he was going to visit with all of the players already committed but that he can not be in communication with non-committed players.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »
+!

You need to read up on Kane before you start making comments like that, there's a couple things that make the other schools on his list not matter so much.

1.  It was a final four, with Virginia included, but when Leitao got fired he dropped UVA.
2.  Pitt has had a standing scholarship offer for Kane since 2007.  They want him bad.  They wanted him when he left HS last year, but couldn't fit him in.  They are the ones that placed him at the prep school when he reclassified.  There has even been talk that he verballed to Pitt two or three times in the past. 
3.  Marshall and Rhode Island are there because they have guaranteed him playing time.  He wants to go somewhere and play right away, that's why Pitt is no longer involved.  Both Marshall and URI have supposedly promised major playing time as a frosh.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
He's got a buddy at Marshall, Hassan Whiteside.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »
good call.  you know, i'm really glad we never tried to recruit Stephen Curry, or Patty Mills, or any other players on Mid-Major programs.  I mean, god, they play for mid-major programs.

Clearly a high-percentage of mid major recruits turn into Stephen Curry's or Patty Mills instead of the Dwight Burkes, David Cubillans, Carlton Christians, and James Matthews of the world.

There are much better options on the table than Kane, so I say pursue those and if those don't work, bank the scholarship for next year.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 01:44:11 PM »
Clearly a high-percentage of mid major recruits turn into Stephen Curry's or Patty Mills instead of the Dwight Burkes, David Cubillans, Carlton Christians, and James Matthews of the world.

There are much better options on the table than Kane, so I say pursue those and if those don't work, bank the scholarship for next year.

im sure buzz is going after the bigger fish too, but just because some better players have us on their list doesn't mean we are their top choice

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »

Yes but you clearly didn't say that.  You made a general, sweeping statement.  Based on your statement, you would have said the same exact thing about Stephen Curry, or Patty Mills, because they were recruited by lesser programs.  Hell, look at how Saunders turned out at Duquense.  If you did your research on Kane, you would know he could play.  The dude averaged over 30 PPG and 11 RPG in his last year of high school while hitting 53% of his threes.  Does that sound like someone we would want?  I would say outside of Latavious WIlliams and maybe Darius Smith (who both seem like longshots), this guy should be our #1 priority.

Joe Thompson

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »

I say pass.

MU missed on a kid four years ago named Seawright who had a very good career at Rhode Island. A lanky 6'8'' rebounder would have done well in Milwaukee the last four seasons, right?

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »

I'd be curious to hear who you think our better options are, and why?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »

I say pass.

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members

- Groucho.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Yes but you clearly didn't say that.  You made a general, sweeping statement.  Based on your statement, you would have said the same exact thing about Stephen Curry, or Patty Mills, because they were recruited by lesser programs.  Hell, look at how Saunders turned out at Duquense.  If you did your research on Kane, you would know he could play.  The dude averaged over 30 PPG and 11 RPG in his last year of high school while hitting 53% of his threes.  Does that sound like someone we would want?  I would say outside of Latavious WIlliams and maybe Darius Smith (who both seem like longshots), this guy should be our #1 priority.

I'll admit I don't go and read everything there is to read on a recruit and I certainly don't go and watch HS games or even have clue as to what the competition level is in his area/HS conference.

Yes it is a general statement, but more often than not if a recruit only lists one major program and a bunch of mid-majors or nothing programs in his list, that indicates that he is a project, had a serious injury, lacks of ideal size, is a huge academic risk, or all the above or some combination.

I'm sure the kid has potential, but we really need players that will have an impact next year or the year after.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:35:24 PM by SCdem@MU »

feedback