[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: wwjd?  (Read 3595 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
wwjd?
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/church-excommunicates-mother-of-9yearold-rape-victim-ndash-but-not-accused-rapist-14218389.html

Aren't religions based on the teachings of someone who preached acceptance, tolerance, love, and a spirit beyond the letter of the law grand?  Throw in a Holocaust denying archbishop and it has been a real bang up month for the one, holy and apostolic.

Coleman

• All American
Re: wwjd?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/church-excommunicates-mother-of-9yearold-rape-victim-ndash-but-not-accused-rapist-14218389.html

Aren't religions based on the teachings of someone who preached acceptance, tolerance, love, and a spirit beyond the letter of the law grand?  Throw in a Holocaust denying archbishop and it has been a real bang up month for the one, holy and apostolic.

+1

Find myself more and more alienated from the Catholic Church everyday....

I miss JPII. Might have disagreed with his more conservative ideas...but he was compassionate and a much kinder human being than the guys we have in Rome now...its just one thing after another with this bunch...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:44:23 PM »
Today's USA Today had an article about how Americans have become generally less religious over the past 20 years.  With stories like this, I can see why this is the case.  I for one have pretty much stopped going to church...maybe only once a month or so and really only because my youngest is about to be confirmed.  I still consider myself a Christian and try to pray regularly.  I just don't really feel the need to associate myself with an established religion.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »
I think a big part of it is that religious groups are becoming much more conservative and less tolerant than they were 20 years ago, while the USA remains a pretty moderate/centrist country. I think people are afraid that there isn't much room for personal freedom or thought in these groups.

Its clear to see that a minority of the population is becoming more zealous and religious (look at these traditionalist Catholic groups springing up..where you can hear Latin mass and stuff)..while the rest of the population is becoming alienated.

Of course there are some exceptions...not all churches are going in this direction...but I think it is a trend.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
I have to look at something like this and just be saddened.

As a Christian who takes his faith seriously, I hate seeing stories like this.  More and more people who associate themselves with Christianity (although their actions clearly imply otherwise) seem to project an image that is misleading and unrepresentative of the true character of Christ.  Rawdog is right on in his critique; I can't see Christ pushing away this mother and telling her to "hit the road."  In fact any intelligent reading of the Bible shows Christ to be the exact opposite.

I have always done my best to try and be a reasoned Christian; that is, to think about and discuss my faith, especially with those who hold opinions contrary to mine.  I feel more than a little disappointed when stuff like this happens and sheds light on the fact that some people do not do the same.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »
Yeah the things that come first to mind when i think of Christian are not things that I would associate with the teachings of Jesus.  I was born and raised catholic and went to 8 years of catholic school.  And I feel like the thing they are closest to in the bible is the Pharisees (sp?).  I'm out of that whole scene now.

But protestants can be just as bad if not worse.  They conjure thoughts of hate towards homosexuals, calls for torture or assassinations, extreme views about abortion, lack of compassion towards the poor(at least the poor in our country), war mongering, fights against evolution in schools, youth brainwashing, their refusal to accept that abstinence training in schools doesn't work, attempts to religicize the airforce academy and a pride that i find disgusting.  And don't even get me started on the literalists. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
If Jesus were alive today the last thing he would be is a Christian

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 05:02:42 PM »
If this article is correct in stating that this was a "life-saving" abortion, I am very surprised there was any action by the Church.  I thought the theory of double effect stated that such abortions are permissible....

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 05:15:57 PM »

You sir are correct.  He'd still be Jewish! 

Ludum habemus.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 09:52:46 PM »

I agree.  Entirely.
Yeah the things that come first to mind when i think of Christian are not things that I would associate with the teachings of Jesus.  I was born and raised catholic and went to 8 years of catholic school.  And I feel like the thing they are closest to in the bible is the Pharisees (sp?).  I'm out of that whole scene now.

But protestants can be just as bad if not worse.  They conjure thoughts of hate towards homosexuals, calls for torture or assassinations, extreme views about abortion, lack of compassion towards the poor(at least the poor in our country), war mongering, fights against evolution in schools, youth brainwashing, their refusal to accept that abstinence training in schools doesn't work, attempts to religicize the airforce academy and a pride that i find disgusting.  And don't even get me started on the literalists. 

Again, a lot of people have made incredibly poor decisions on when to project faith into the discussion of the public sphere.  Protestants should be fighting for legislation to provide shelter for the homeless and to give food to the world's poor, not wasting their time campaigning for prop. 8.  I feel they do a tremendously damaging disservice to those who rationally discuss their faith and apply it in accordance with the words of Christ in the Gospel.

That being said, not all Catholics/Protestants/Literalists are this way.  Certainly some of them are, and I despise this as much as you.  It's unfortunate that this is the group who generally projects their opinions the loudest, but there are still people who affiliate with these groups that are not.  I am a Literalist, and would welcome your right to tell me I'm wrong.  Doesn't mean I will agree with you, but I'm not going to kick you in the teeth with it or jam it down your throat.  I hate that as well because I wouldn't want you to do it to me, either.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 09:56:18 PM »
I agree.  Entirely.
Again, a lot of people have made incredibly poor decisions on when to project faith into the discussion of the public sphere.  Protestants should be fighting for legislation to provide shelter for the homeless and to give food to the world's poor, not wasting their time campaigning for prop. 8.  I feel they do a tremendously damaging disservice to those who rationally discuss their faith and apply it in accordance with the words of Christ in the Gospel.

That being said, not all Catholics/Protestants/Literalists are this way.  Certainly some of them are, and I despise this as much as you.  It's unfortunate that this is the group who generally projects their opinions the loudest, but there are still people who affiliate with these groups that are not.  I am a Literalist, and would welcome your right to tell me I'm wrong.  Doesn't mean I will agree with you, but I'm not going to kick you in the teeth with it or jam it down your throat.  I hate that as well because I wouldn't want you to do it to me, either.

It's always nice to see people like you who can rationally express their faith without attempting to, as you said, jam it down others' throats. Faith, to me, is a supremely personal issue.

Stringer Bellenson

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
Mary Magdeline was a hooker for cryin out loud.  Blessed are the poor in spirit...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
Mary Magdeline was a hooker for cryin out loud.  Blessed are the poor in spirit...

Hey Stringer, did you do in her man like you did D'Angelo?  ;)
SS Marquette

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 07:54:21 AM »
www.wwujd.com

come brothers, join the faithful!

feedback