Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Buzz Williams  (Read 38341 times)

skianth16

• All American
Fire Buzz Williams
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:07:36 PM »
I cannot explain how upset I was when Buzz was announced as the new head coach last year after having so many impressive options. He has proven over the last few games that the sub .500 mark he posted in his one other year as a head coach was not a fluke.

Buzz never calls timeouts when the other team is on a roll. What kind of coach lets his team get rolled on a 12-0 run without calling a timeout? And free throws? Seriously Buzz? Who doesn't practice free throws? And then flaunts it to the media! You've got to be kidding me. Even junior high girls coaches know to practice free throws (and call timeouts for that matter)

Our defense has gotten progressively worse throughout the year and our offensive sets are horrendous. Apparently all those numbers he looks at haven't made enough impact on him. We give up so many open looks to any team that knows how to pass and our help defense just doesn't happen.

As if Buzz's decision not to foul in the final seconds at Lousiville wasn't bad enough, today was just the icing on the cake. His game management is pathetic and his tough-guy mentality is a joke. Apparently, even the announcers today were upset with him for not calling a timeout to set up a play for a chance to win the game.

That being said, he's got to go. Let's find a real coach.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
Re: Fire Buzz Williams
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
He's really a rookie coach. I'm willing to live with the bumps along the road as he grows into a good coach.

He's already shown to be a better recruiter than TC, and he's just as good of a coach if not better IMO. That said, we came out on top.

I'm curious to see how he does with his OWN players

lj854

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:11:37 PM »
Wow. While some of Buzz's decisions may be questionable - you are way off your rocker.

I think that the vast majority of MU alums would agree with me that Buzz has been a pleasent surprise.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »
Where were you when we were 9-1 in the Big East?

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Fire skianth16
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:13:07 PM »
Unreal. This is why I typically avoid this board after losses.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »
I don't think you can attribute much of the success of this season to Buzz. He walked into a gold mine with this team. Williams didn't turn these guys into the players they are today. As much as I hate to say it, Crean is the reason we won 23 games this season.

Williams' decision making is awful. He seems to think that by ignoring all the basic coaching rules that he will be successful, but it's coming back to bite him now that we have a tougher schedule. He has brought absolutely nothing to the table this year.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »
When we were 9-1, I was saying Buzz is an awful coach and should be fired. Obviously, I caught a lot of flack for that then.

While I wish I had been proven wrong for the sake of my alma mater, at least I get to say I told you so.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
I don't think you can attribute much of the success of this season to Buzz. He walked into a gold mine with this team. Williams didn't turn these guys into the players they are today. As much as I hate to say it, Crean is the reason we won 23 games this season.

Williams' decision making is awful. He seems to think that by ignoring all the basic coaching rules that he will be successful, but it's coming back to bite him now that we have a tougher schedule. He has brought absolutely nothing to the table this year.

I couldn't disagree more.

TC never got this much out of these kids. Even Matthews acknowledged that "a blanket has been lifted from the last 3 years"

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »
I think we can stop playing the 9-1 in the Big East card. When everything is said and done, we finished 13-6 in the Big East and lost 4 straight.

Buzz was given the keys to a ferrari and only managed to not crash it for the first 3/4 of the season. Last year we were a miracle bucket away from going to the sweet 16. We lost no contributors, and will somehow go into the tournament with the same, if not worse seeding.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 05:22:56 PM »
TC never got this much out of these kids.
[/quote]

Yeah, those three tournament appearances and three 20+ wins in a row. With unexperienced freshmen in 05-06 we knocked off one of the best teams ever in the history of college basketball when we beat UConn at the BC.

I bet if Buzz Williams was driving a Ferrari you would think he's an amazing race car driver too...

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »
I cannot explain how upset I was when Buzz was announced as the new head coach last year after having so many impressive options. He has proven over the last few games that the sub .500 mark he posted in his one other year as a head coach was not a fluke.

Buzz never calls timeouts when the other team is on a roll. What kind of coach lets his team get rolled on a 12-0 run without calling a timeout? And free throws? Seriously Buzz? Who doesn't practice free throws? And then flaunts it to the media! You've got to be kidding me. Even junior high girls coaches know to practice free throws (and call timeouts for that matter)

Our defense has gotten progressively worse throughout the year and our offensive sets are horrendous. Apparently all those numbers he looks at haven't made enough impact on him. We give up so many open looks to any team that knows how to pass and our help defense just doesn't happen.

As if Buzz's decision not to foul in the final seconds at Lousiville wasn't bad enough, today was just the icing on the cake. His game management is pathetic and his tough-guy mentality is a joke. Apparently, even the announcers today were upset with him for not calling a timeout to set up a play for a chance to win the game.

That being said, he's got to go. Let's find a real coach.

Yeah.....good idea.....it is Buzz's fault DJ got injured and inherited a roster with five high major players with little height and had to deal with the inevitable fallout of recruits wanting out of their committments when a coach leaves and also a player leaving the team the day before Labor Day......Your post is the idiotic post of the day....
Once a warrior always a warrior.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »
Are you guys for real?  You don't think losing your best defensive player had anything to do with the losses?

Also I'm sick of the Tribune's anti-basketball bias.  Take a note from MUTV's book and provide unbiased coverage.  It's amazing how a big MU win ends up on the second to last page while a loss to USF isn't only the main front page headline, it is above the Marquette Tribune title.    

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
If that were to happen, which it won't, who knows how many recruits would back out of their commitment.  We would be screwed next year regardless of the coach.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »
I suppose it is Buzz's fault that DJ got hurt, Mbakwe transferred, ..........

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
I suppose it is Buzz's fault that DJ got hurt, Mbakwe transferred, ..........

It's Buzz's fault he inherited a team with no real size too...

Oh yeah, and Buzz's fault that the economy keeps declining

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »
Buzz stole the cookie from the cookie jar

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
Buzz bombed Pearl Harbor.

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
I'm sick of everyone talking about how this season ended when we lost Dom's defense - "our best defensive player".

1. Did DJ win BE defensive player of the year? No. Jerel is our best defender. Period.
2. Everyone blames AJ Price going off on Acker guarding him and not DJ. Newflash, Jerel was guarding him.
3. Who was guarding Scottie Reynolds when he went bonkers? DJ

I miss DJ more than everyone, but you take away Acker's dumb turnover today and he has played more than admirably. The coaching mistakes far FAR outweigh the step down from DJ to Acker.

Fact is, with a better coach, we win today and at worst split between UCONN and Lousville. That makes us a top 10 team.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 05:33:30 PM »
Yes!! I love it!!

I have my worries about Buzz as I've been saying through the whole year, being defense and recruiting elite....but it's great to see the irrational springing out after we lose DJ..

Give Buzz some time, we lost to pretty good teams after DJ was lost, we were over achieving before that time.... I have a feeling there will be one or two of these a week next year. 

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 05:33:49 PM »
Buzz Williams wrote the "stimulus bill"

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »

No kidding... but this board might have to listen to these rants all year next season.  For some reason, some MU fans thought we would be Final Four favorites if Crean were here... or that our size wouldn't be a disadvantage against bigger teams... or that any "BIG TIME" coach would win a championship this year.  

I am pretty confident in Buzz.  (1) Two of the three players that could play this year that he brought in got hurt and the one that didn't, Butler, turned out to be a productive player.  So Buzz has some eye for talent and can teach because Butler has been improving all season long.  (2) He can recruit.  I will be the first to say that Buzz is a goofy looking guy but he can convince players to get on board so that is all I care about as far as looks go.  (3)  Something I appreciated about Crean was he got his players to give 100% every play.  As far as that goes, Buzz has picked up where Crean left off.  (4)  He knows strategy pretty well.  We walked into almost every game with major matchup issues and Buzz gets a game plan together to get us in the game and a position to win.  

We will have to wait and see if Buzz can produce a winning program but if you expected anything more than what we got this season, you have to reevaluate your expectations.  This season has been amazing.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »
How can you guys not put some of the blame on his shoulders. This was our best recruiting class in the past 30 years and were going to be out of the top 20 next week. Ridiculous.

We can talk forever and every about how great these seniors were, and they were, but their senior season is being hurt by Buzz. What are we giong to get, one tournament win?

About Buzz's recruiting. I'm not going to say he isn't above par because he obvioulsy landed a good class, but lets be honest, 4 open starting spots in the big best sells itself.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »
How can you guys not put some of the blame on his shoulders. This was our best recruiting class in the past 30 years and were going to be out of the top 20 next week. Ridiculous.

We can talk forever and every about how great these seniors were, and they were, but their senior season is being hurt by Buzz. What are we giong to get, one tournament win?

About Buzz's recruiting. I'm not going to say he isn't above par because he obvioulsy landed a good class, but lets be honest, 4 open starting spots in the big best sells itself.

We were 12-3 in the Big East before DJ went down....I'm all for fair criticisms of Buzz but trashing on him because we've been losing without DJ and he had no bench isn't fair.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »

Tell that to DePaul...
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 05:39:50 PM »
I apologize for having expectations this season. You know who else thought we were final four contenders for much of the year, ESPN analysts like Bob Knight. They must have been crazy too.

Fact of the matter is, there are not a whole lot of teams with 3 better players than Wes, Lazar, and Jerel. That is 3 NBA players going into the tournament with a 6 seed. You can feed me whatever line you want about how I am too hard on Buzz, just please do me a favor and try and rationalize that statement for me.

3 future NBA players, outside of top 20, 6/7 seed in the NCAA tournament. You are happy with this?