Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Buzz Williams  (Read 38349 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Re: Fire Buzz Williams
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »
How can you guys not put some of the blame on his shoulders. This was our best recruiting class in the past 30 years and were going to be out of the top 20 next week. Ridiculous.

We can talk forever and every about how great these seniors were, and they were, but their senior season is being hurt by Buzz. What are we giong to get, one tournament win?

About Buzz's recruiting. I'm not going to say he isn't above par because he obvioulsy landed a good class, but lets be honest, 4 open starting spots in the big best sells itself.

and tell that to Notre Dame...
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 05:41:03 PM »
Really? Comparing Marquette to DePaul. You sir, are a joke.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 05:41:20 PM »
I apologize for having expectations this season. You know who else thought we were final four contenders for much of the year, ESPN analysts like Bob Knight. They must have been crazy too.

Fact of the matter is, there are not a whole lot of teams with 3 better players than Wes, Lazar, and Jerel. That is 3 NBA players going into the tournament with a 6 seed. You can feed me whatever line you want about how I am too hard on Buzz, just please do me a favor and try and rationalize that statement for me.

3 future NBA players, outside of top 20, 6/7 seed in the NCAA tournament. You are happy with this?

And no team has a worse pg-C combo than us.....stew on that for a minute.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »
Ok fine. If you want to say I was wrong in saying Dom is the best defender so be it.

We lost our second best defender and starter and previously had two guys comming off the bench. How can you blame Buzz when we are playing with six guys.  

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 05:43:34 PM »
Stew on that? I guess 3 NBA players can't produce in college without 2 other studs to go with them. What is it going to take to get Buzz a top 15 team? 4 NBA players? 5?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
I apologize for having expectations this season. You know who else thought we were final four contenders for much of the year, ESPN analysts like Bob Knight. They must have been crazy too.

Fact of the matter is, there are not a whole lot of teams with 3 better players than Wes, Lazar, and Jerel. That is 3 NBA players going into the tournament with a 6 seed. You can feed me whatever line you want about how I am too hard on Buzz, just please do me a favor and try and rationalize that statement for me.

3 future NBA players, outside of top 20, 6/7 seed in the NCAA tournament. You are happy with this?

There is a big real reason this game is called a team sport.  Its important to have good players but there is more to it... especially when you lose your starting point guard.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Pardner

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »
While we are at it, let's fire Jim Boeheim too.  He used all his TO's with about two minutes to go and then his team gets called for a five second call. He is only a HOF coach, but us message board coaches know all.  In fact, the only guy we faced all year who actually knew how to use his time outs got arrested for it.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »
Really? Comparing Marquette to DePaul. You sir, are a joke.

Its about the Big East selling itself.  No comparison between Marquette and DePaul.  

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »
We have borderline DI players at pg and C.   If another team can even come close to matching us at Sg, SF, PF positions we are done...and most top BE teams can.  

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Re: Fire skianth16
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »
Unreal. This is why I typically avoid this board after losses.

+1

Me too...too many "fans" want to jump off the ledge and blame someone. The problem is...Buzz is not the man to blame. He's done a hell of a job as a rookie head coach (I don't count his stint at UNO). Buzz was and is the right man for this job and I cannot wait until he proves all of you fair weather fans wrong. The reasons we've lost 4 in a row include, losing our starting PG, the gauntlet, and absolutely 0 depth on the bench. To blame Buzz Williams is completely ignorant.

GO BUZZ!!!!

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Fire skianth16
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 05:47:09 PM »
+1

Me too...too many "fans" want to jump off the ledge and blame someone. The problem is...Buzz is not the man to blame. He's done a hell of a job as a rookie head coach (I don't count his stint at UNO). Buzz was and is the right man for this job and I cannot wait until he proves all of you fair weather fans wrong. The reasons we've lost 4 in a row include, losing our starting PG, the gauntlet, and absolutely 0 depth on the bench. To blame Buzz Williams is completely ignorant.

GO BUZZ!!!!

I'm not in your Rah Rah camp but I agree to now start pissing on Buzz is stupid.  He needs to recruit better and show a better defensive prowess but to be calling for his head only after losing DJ is idiotic. 

mubball2009

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
I blame him because those 6 guys are better than what they have shown. 3 of those 6 guys are something special that we may not seen again for awhile. Look at those senior night stats. If we can't make a run into the tournament with players who have had such an impact, then what is it going to take?

Regardless of this teams shortcomings, (bench, no size). We still had a chance to win EVERY one of the last four games. If we want to get more into specific coaching errors, I can highlight the following.

1. Refusal to hedge on the high ball screen against UCONN. Lack of timeouts.
2. Refusal to foul at the end of the Lousiville and game. (Didnt cost us the game, but dumb nonetheless)
3. HORRIBLE timeout use against Pitt. We were up 9 and then proceeded to get throttled by a 16-0 run without calling one timeout. Not only did the run kill us, but by the time the second half rolled around the legs were not under our players any longer. I know we don't have a bench, but you know what gives them a rest? Lets see, a timeout?
4. Going along with the theme.....13 second left....tie game....heck, let em play BUZZ! Joke. Just a joke.

If these four errors are turned around, we win a minimum of two of these games.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 05:57:23 PM »
I blame him because those 6 guys are better than what they have shown. 3 of those 6 guys are something special that we may not seen again for awhile. Look at those senior night stats. If we can't make a run into the tournament with players who have had such an impact, then what is it going to take?

Regardless of this teams shortcomings, (bench, no size). We still had a chance to win EVERY one of the last four games. If we want to get more into specific coaching errors, I can highlight the following.

1. Refusal to hedge on the high ball screen against UCONN. Lack of timeouts.
2. Refusal to foul at the end of the Lousiville and game. (Didnt cost us the game, but dumb nonetheless)
3. HORRIBLE timeout use against Pitt. We were up 9 and then proceeded to get throttled by a 16-0 run without calling one timeout. Not only did the run kill us, but by the time the second half rolled around the legs were not under our players any longer. I know we don't have a bench, but you know what gives them a rest? Lets see, a timeout?
4. Going along with the theme.....13 second left....tie game....heck, let em play BUZZ! Joke. Just a joke.

If these four errors are turned around, we win a minimum of two of these games.

REALLY??  TWO?  Louisville game would have needed a miracle to come back.  One time out with the Pitt game, was the difference between a win or lose?  You do know we were losing by around 20 at the end of the game, right?  This Syracuse game wasn't a TO issue.  Acker made a really bad Turnover and we had our chances. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 05:59:29 PM »
MUball,
Thank god you are not a Georgetown fan.  They have four McDonald All Americans (Monroe, Wright, Freeman, Clark), along with Summers, Simms, Vaughan and Sapp, who were four star recruits.  Monroe may be in the top five in NBA Draft and Summers in top 20. Look at their season and you think we had it bad?  

Yes, game clock management/timeouts was poor, but he hopefully will learn.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 06:02:59 PM »
Stew on that? I guess 3 NBA players can't produce in college without 2 other studs to go with them. What is it going to take to get Buzz a top 15 team? 4 NBA players? 5?

You can't win in college without a top PG.  It's the most important position in the game, and we're playing in the toughest conference ever with a guy that wouldn't start on some Horizon League teams.

And please, Hayward is not an NBA player by a long shot at this point, Matthews will be lucky to get drafted, and McNeal is a second round pick that will be a bench player. 

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »
Who cares if there aren't many teams with three better players than Jerel, Wes, and Lazar!  When you are forced to play out of position, have no depth, and lack any inside presence whatsoever, you aren't going to win often in the Big East.  The team overachieved by all accounts this season.  Buzz Williams has been terrific.  He was dealt a hand that does not necessarily fit his style of play.  Based on his recruiting, he is going to try and make a much bigger impact in the post next year.  When the most active player down low MU can muster is a JUCO transfer, you know you're in for a long day at the office against the muscle of the Big East.  When push came to shove and MU had to play the teams with size, guess what happened?  The Eagles got pushed and shoved around like middleweights in a heavyweight fight.  The floor general is gone, and the team's offense is mediocre at best.  The defensive effort is egregious.  The senior day crowd helped spur the team to a terrific comeback in the last 6 minutes today, but once the game went to OT it was OVER.  This team was so tired in the extra session, the guys would have fallen asleep at an AC/DC concert.  It's time to look forward to next year, because the way the squad is currently assembled, this season is unfortunately about to end without any fanfare.  It's upsetting considering what could have been, but taking all things into consideration, Buzz Williams has had an exceptional rookie year as the coach of Marquette.  By the way, how is Bennett doing at Washington State this year?  Please start listing some available coaches that would have done a better job with this lineup!

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »
With not replacing Barro, the  backup guards not improving, and not having a shooter off the bench like Fitz last year, Buzz is having an equal or better season.  Butler is an upgrade of Blackledge, sure.

Put Ooz on this team for his defense, rebounding, and ability to run the floor and Buzz would be a lot better.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »
I don't know if anybody is especially happy, but I don't think starting over with a new coach is the answer. You think Calhoun or Pitino could have made Dwight Burke and Mo Acker into elite Big East players? Could Huggins have gotten 15 points and 10 rebounds a game out of Chris Otule? Could Boeheim have cured Cubillan's shot? This team was short and fragile and awful defensively before DJ got hurt. Buzz has a load to learn about game management and I'd still like to know why he treats Hazel like a leper, but this is no time to pin this all on him.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2009, 06:20:24 PM »
I don't think you can attribute much of the success of this season to Buzz. He walked into a gold mine with this team. Williams didn't turn these guys into the players they are today. As much as I hate to say it, Crean is the reason we won 23 games this season.

Williams' decision making is awful. He seems to think that by ignoring all the basic coaching rules that he will be successful, but it's coming back to bite him now that we have a tougher schedule. He has brought absolutely nothing to the table this year.

So if I've understood you correctly, it's Crean's fault when we win and Buzz's fault when we lose?  :D
Buzz has no hand in wins and Crean's spotty-at-best recruiting outside of the three amigos has no hand in any losses?

Get real.

Sure are a lot of new faces on the boards today...
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
Who cares if there aren't many teams with three better players than Jerel, Wes, and Lazar!  When you are forced to play out of position, have no depth, and lack any inside presence whatsoever, you aren't going to win often in the Big East.  The team overachieved by all accounts this season.  Buzz Williams has been terrific.  He was dealt a hand that does not necessarily fit his style of play.  Based on his recruiting, he is going to try and make a much bigger impact in the post next year.  When the most active player down low MU can muster is a JUCO transfer, you know you're in for a long day at the office against the muscle of the Big East.  When push came to shove and MU had to play the teams with size, guess what happened?  The Eagles got pushed and shoved around like middleweights in a heavyweight fight.  The floor general is gone, and the team's offense is mediocre at best.  The defensive effort is egregious.  The senior day crowd helped spur the team to a terrific comeback in the last 6 minutes today, but once the game went to OT it was OVER.  This team was so tired in the extra session, the guys would have fallen asleep at an AC/DC concert.  It's time to look forward to next year, because the way the squad is currently assembled, this season is unfortunately about to end without any fanfare.  It's upsetting considering what could have been, but taking all things into consideration, Buzz Williams has had an exceptional rookie year as the coach of Marquette.  By the way, how is Bennett doing at Washington State this year?  Please start listing some available coaches that would have done a better job with this lineup!

+1   - finally an opinion that is spot on

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
I am happy to add two members to my "ignore" team. Knee jerk reactionaries with over-inflated egos and absolute lack of vision are great candidates for the all MU Scoop Ignore team.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »
buzz has done an admirable job this year, imo.

he is just a bit more than a rookie head coach.
he has showed innovation at times.. and the intuition to tailor his team to his best few players.
that's hurting us now, as we're sans one of the major cogs and the team is trying to find a new identity way late in the season.
but it's also a decision that made a great deal of sense, considering the significant lack of talent after you get beyond the big three and zar.

surprises:
12-6 in the toughest conference in the usa... 23-8 overall is very, very nice.
development of butler
embracement of players toward him, and he toward players, the univ. and the community
a seemingly great class coming in next year

disappointments:
we lose 4 in a row after losing our floor general-  no fault of buzz
otule, fulce and mcmorrow all battle injuries, lose time and develop slower than hoped- no fault of buzz
defection of mbakwe- loss of taylor and williams- no fault of buzz
wes, jerel and dj have to graduate and never play at mu again- it had to come to an end.

all in all, I don't know who else on that 'short' list of potential mu coaches could have done much better than buzz this year....

sad that our season ended up this way.

but it's far from a lost year.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »
Wow, do you guys jump off cliffs after every hiccup in your life?  Stupidest thread ever.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »

Sure are a lot of new faces on the boards today...

They always come out of the wood works after a couple losses in a row.

It's always funny to see someone with less than 10 posts under their belt have 3 members or more on their ignored by list!

It's been a great season...and it isn't even over yet! We have the honor and pleasure of watching this team play at least a couple more times before we call it a season! Let's enjoy them while they're still here!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:37:28 PM by mosarsour »

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2009, 07:50:08 PM »
How can you guys not put some of the blame on his shoulders. This was our best recruiting class in the past 30 years and were going to be out of the top 20 next week. Ridiculous.

We can talk forever and every about how great these seniors were, and they were, but their senior season is being hurt by Buzz. What are we giong to get, one tournament win?

About Buzz's recruiting. I'm not going to say he isn't above par because he obvioulsy landed a good class, but lets be honest, 4 open starting spots in the big best sells itself.

And one of the 4 in the best recruiting class is out with an injury.  And that has made a huge difference in this team's performance - our ability to get to the rim, dish out to others to make open shots easier, etc etc. etc are far more limited without DJ.  We need to all take a step back and cool down.  Losing 4 in a row is something none of us like.  Period.  This team was flying high and performing better than it ever has.  We did NOT get all the key players from lastyear back this year.   As often as Ooze got pounded on these boards, he did a pretty good job for us on the real boards on the court - and we miss his presence this year becasue we have no other bog man to fill his shoes. 

3 out of the last 4 losses were to top 6 teams in the country.  And we were in two of them down the the wire.  Without our starting point guard of the best class in 30 years.  Today, we should have won.  And maybe we think Buzz should have called a time out with 17 weconds left to set up a play.  Or maybe he discussed the play already - what do we know.  If we were so smart we'd be coaching the team.

Buzz is fine - he will learn from mistakes, miscalculations, and different rotations.  But all in all, we had a great year under him with excellent players that he inherited who performed better than they ever have before he coached them. 

So buzz off Buzz - he's a keeper.

feedback