collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

What resturant has the best burger

Sobelmans
Five Guys
Sollys
Culvers
Other

Author Topic: Favorite Burger place  (Read 18488 times)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Favorite Burger place
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:09:47 PM »
I just got back from a little day trip to madison and I was able to experience Five Guys. It wasn't the first time i've been there, I went to the one in DC a year or so ago, but this 5 Guys was really incredible. Bacon Cheese burger with the works was quite a consumption. HOWEVER I think Sobels is better, 5 guys a close second, sollys a distant third (smaller burgers, bad service).  I want to know what the scoopers think. Is it sobes hands down or...?

If you put other make a justification

...man a double sobe with a few beers would be so great right now.... :D

The Man in Gold

• All American
Re: Favorite Burger place
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »

<========'Nuff Said.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
Other: In n Out just ahead of Sobelman's. The rest are pedestrian at best. In fact Culver's flat out sucks.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:04:49 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »
It's on a different level than Sobelman's but Kopps has a great burger too.  Kopps is more of a fast food burger.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »
I live out in DC now, and each 5 guys is a little differnet.  the one by my place though has the best greasy cheeseburger around.  sometimes the cheese at sobelman's isn't completely melted through to my liking.  and i'm a raw onion kinda guy.  so i guess the fact that i can pick any condiments from a list of about 15 at five guys is a difference maker to me. 

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »
Sobelman's, hands down.

Another GREAT one is Cheeseburger in Paradise, found in various locations around the United States.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »
the service and atmosphere at sobelman's are as good as their burgers. it has character without being a dump, and i've never left the place regretting that i came when i could've gone anywhere in milwaukee. it's consistently solid.

culver's and 5 Guys make great burgers, but they're still fast-food restaurants, and this poll is about favorite burger PLACE. besides, In N' Out kills those two if we're comparing burger chains.

solly's is gimmicky. sorry.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:11:07 PM »
Sobelman's is unbeatable.

Five Guys makes a damn good burger, as does Kopp's (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

Can't go wrong with any of 'em.

LON

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
I don't know how you CAN'T vote for Sobelman's; the place is adorned with MU gear!

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 02:22:24 PM »
i guess if you're voting for place, and not just burger...i can see that.  can't get beer at a five guys.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »
love sobelman's but hate how everyone won't shut up about it. its kinda like that song you loved before it got all this radio play and now it bugs the hell out of you whenever someone talks about it....

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:51:12 PM »
that's easy....Krystal Burger on West End Avenue in Nashville. 

Doubt that it is still there, but, if you like miniature burgers with lots of onions and ketchup and enjoy throwing 5 or 6 down at a sitting, this is definitely the place.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »
I think if I had to pick, it's Sobelman's.

As a DCer, Five Guys is great, but the awards for best burgers in the DC area has been going to Ray's Hell Burger lately.  It's a small little place in Arlington.  If you didn't know it was there, you'd never find it.  Just a plain, all-white place with a screen door in a strip mall.  Great burgers though.  The guy butchers his own meat for both the burger joint and also he's steak joint down the street - Ray's The Steaks.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »
I would also like to say Kuma in Chicago though it takes forever to get a table.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »

Doubt that it is still there, but, if you like miniature burgers with lots of onions and ketchup and enjoy throwing 5 or 6 down at a sitting, this is definitely the place.

I work on West End, and there is no longer a Krystal on West End, but there is one about 2 blocks off West End on Charlotte. There is a White Castle/ Church's Chicken, but no Krystal.

And my vote goes to Ludy's, a small bar in Kickapoo, IL. (About 15 min outside of Peoria.)  I understand this is not a chain or available in Milwaukee, but that wasn't listed as necessary criteria.  Oh, and they have $1.25 bud light / miller light drafts at all times.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:32:59 PM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »
Anyone that makes it out to San Diego needs to stop by Corvette Diner...it's the best burger I've ever had...in fact, I'm looking forward to eating another "heart attack" when I fly out there tomorrow.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »
apologies to not including Kopps, but admittedly for me it ends up 3rd. The only highlight can be the fact that you can get a shake/malt with the burger and those two are a good fit. -not as good as beer and sobes-

solly's is gimmicky. sorry.

Solly's was good. I got bad service there like 2-3 times so I probably won't go back unless I make it up that direction... which I wont. and If I did, I'd go to kopps for virtually the same thing and 1/2 the price

augoman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »
unfortunately, "Solly's was good" is too true.  Before the forced move to accommodate the freeway ramp, there was nothing finer.  In fact, I always ordered two on 'pillows' right away to avoid waiting for the second one halfway through my malt...  Man, when I think of how many arteries I donated there, it's scary!  Now, I agree w/ Sobelmann's.  In and Out is a great second, but mostly because of the freshness and malts.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »

krystal is just the southern version of white castle, isn;t it?

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
Not even close.....Soblemans

LON

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »
love sobelman's but hate how everyone won't shut up about it. its kinda like that song you loved before it got all this radio play and now it bugs the hell out of you whenever someone talks about it....

That's why I've only been saying it since 2002; but I know exactly what you mean.

Wade4Life

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
try and hit up the southside of milwaukee (bay view). Check out cafe lulu (i know sounds gay); but they have a burger called the heart attack. 1/2 pound burger topped with bacon and gorgonzola cheese....WOW!!

Sobelmans is #1 but cafe lulu is a close second.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »
+1

My heart is always going to be with Sobelman's but Cafe Lulu's heart attack burger is phenomenal!

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 08:16:35 PM »
Anyone else remember when soblemans had 1/2 off on wednesdays? Where 15 bucks would buy you a double burger and 3 pitchers.......man those were the days

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »
We were excited to try 5 Guys when they opened one 10 minutes from our house.  We all like burgers and we thought, they must be good if that is all they do.

Except for the fact that it wasn't burned around the edges, it tasted just like when I grill them at home...with beef from Pick n Save...on Roundy's buns from Pick n Save.  And I am not a great bbq'r.  Needless to say, extremely disappointed.  Haven't been back since, even though they opened another one about 15 minutes away in the opposite direction.

A friend of mine introduced me to Sobleman's last year.  I was so hungry I am not sure I tasted more than 1/2 the burger, but it was outstanding.  Plus we were dining near a celebrity!!!  Kathy Mycleby from WISN News ;)

feedback