[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

What resturant has the best burger

Sobelmans
Five Guys
Sollys
Culvers
Other

Author Topic: Favorite Burger place  (Read 18574 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Favorite Burger place
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 07:58:05 AM »
A friend of mine introduced me to Sobleman's last year.  I was so hungry I am not sure I tasted more than 1/2 the burger, but it was outstanding.  Plus we were dining near a celebrity!!!  Kathy Mycleby from WISN News ;)

Speaking of someone I would like to see in a thong  :o

As for burger places, out here in Boston, great place cllaed RF O'Sullivans is the spot.  I also tried So Good in DC, opened up by Spike from last season's Top Chef.  Solid solid place.

In Milwaukee, Sobleman's, hands down.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »
it's not "So Good" it's "Good Stuff Eatery."  And yeah, they make pretty good burgers.  expensive though.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »
Sobelman's 100%

but there is a place called the "Ardor" on Milwaukee street (if it is still there.)  It was a smoke free bar (+1 for taste for me) and the burger was huge, cooked perfectly, and delicious... their fries were great as well.

I would highly recommend it.

as for 5G, the one in Madison is meh at best.  As for Cheese Burger in Paradise?  screw that, they are worse than Red Robin, and $9.  NO THANK YOU.

LON

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 08:48:11 AM »
Ruby Tuesday's is the best.  End the poll now.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »
I put 5 Guys below FuddRuckers

Sobelman hands down
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »
but there is a place called the "Ardor" on Milwaukee street (if it is still there.)  It was a smoke free bar (+1 for taste for me) and the burger was huge, cooked perfectly, and delicious... their fries were great as well.

I would highly recommend it.

I was wondering the same thing, it looks like they closed up shop this summer. A real shame, it was good food and very reasonably priced. Yet another non-chain place closed in Milwaukee.

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/ardorsale.html

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
Speaking of someone I would like to see in a thong  :o

Just to clear the air, I probably should have typed my Kathy Mckelby comment in blue.  I went old school with the wink to show my sarcasm, not my interest in Kathy Mckelby. 

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 08:43:05 PM »
I love Sobelmans, but I have to wonder how many of these people have tried Solly's. Definitely deserving of a high ranking on that list

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »
To MUWarrior06:

Solly's was good. I got bad service there like 2-3 times so I probably won't go back unless I make it up that direction... which I wont. and If I did, I'd go to kopps for virtually the same thing and 1/2 the price

No need to wonder anymore

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »
In N Out

mustever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »
In N Out
Chico's,
 I'll second that notion....the last 2 times I've been to SoCal...I always have to get In N Out.I can never figure out how they can get the burgers in those little bags? ;D

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 10:11:36 PM »
It's on a different level than Sobelman's but Kopps has a great burger too.  Kopps is more of a fast food burger.

Buuuuuut.... it's a HOMETOWN fast food burger!!

I mean honestly, how does the wendy's next door @ 76th/layton stay in business

Kopps = best meal
Sobel = best burger alone (sorry, need to have grasshopper fudge, then we'll talk)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
there is a 5 guys in bayshore mall. Just noticed. I'll probably grab some $2(3) buck chuck and class it up

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
the burgers at miller time pub are great too. i cant decide between there and sobelmans for the milwaukee area

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 03:41:35 PM »
love sobelman's but hate how everyone won't shut up about it. its kinda like that song you loved before it got all this radio play and now it bugs the hell out of you whenever someone talks about it....

I think that's part of why I voted for Solly's.  I love Sobelman's just as much, but how many MU students these days have even heard of Solly's, let alone been there?

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 02:15:02 AM »
McDonald's.

Kidding.

I've only been to Kopps, so I'm wondering: are the other great-tasting burgers people have mentioned fairly priced? Where do you get the most bang for your buck? Sometimes I have a good meal and although it may be delicious, it's not as delicious as the price would lead you to believe.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 03:48:06 AM »
If you get to Saint Paul you have to go here....unbelievable burgers and the fries are even better.

http://heavytable.com/casper-and-runyons-nook/

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »

I've only been to Kopps, so I'm wondering: are the other great-tasting burgers people have mentioned fairly priced? Where do you get the most bang for your buck? Sometimes I have a good meal and although it may be delicious, it's not as delicious as the price would lead you to believe.

A dub at sobes is $9. go on a thursday and get $1.50 PBRs and be under $15. Given that they serve beer and their apps are the best, it's likely to be the best deal overall as well.

at 5 guys I get a bacon cheese burger with extras so that is like 6? I made the mistake of getting large fries so I spend like $10+ and tossed most of the fries (I don't care that much for 5 guy fries)

At Kopps I seem to always spend around $12+ for a burger fries rings and a non fountain drink, but there is almost too much grease. same goes for Culvers, but they have cheese curds

I think Solly's pushes the $15 for fries and non fountain. Since the service sucks more than warrior07 (just kidding I love you man) it just doesnt seem worth it for me.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
My Fave Five Burgers:

1)  Sobelman's (enough different types of burgers on the menu to vary things up when I go there beyond the classic Sobelman's)
2)  Five Guys (the original location in Arlington, VA; haven't been to one of the franchised spots yet)
3)  Billy Goat Tavern, Chicago (great, great experience)
4)  Solly's (liked it, but just a little too much butter on mine when I went)
5)  In-And-Out (loved the simplicity of it all)

Honorable mention:  White Castle (although you're playing with fire if you order a 30 banger from there with friends)
The General has taken on a new command.

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »

Honorable mention:  White Castle (although you're playing with fire if you order a 30 banger from there with friends)
[/quote]

Nice to see sliders getting some love.  Worked on the White Castle advertising account for several years... it's more of a cultural experience than a meal, no?  Was conducting some market research once and the customer described it as a "soft, gooey, foodlike substance."

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »
A dub at sobes is $9. go on a thursday and get $1.50 PBRs and be under $15. Given that they serve beer and their apps are the best, it's likely to be the best deal overall as well.

at 5 guys I get a bacon cheese burger with extras so that is like 6? I made the mistake of getting large fries so I spend like $10+ and tossed most of the fries (I don't care that much for 5 guy fries)

At Kopps I seem to always spend around $12+ for a burger fries rings and a non fountain drink, but there is almost too much grease. same goes for Culvers, but they have cheese curds

I think Solly's pushes the $15 for fries and non fountain. Since the service sucks more than warrior07 (just kidding I love you man) it just doesnt seem worth it for me.

Dude ... Burger ±water + Custard is all you need, and definitely under $10.  Actually I dig their (buffalo) chicken sammiches also.  If you want deep-fried starch, you don't need to loiter @ Kopps

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »

Dude ... Burger ±water + Custard is all you need, and definitely under $10.  Actually I dig their (buffalo) chicken sammiches also.  If you want deep-fried starch, you don't need to loiter @ Kopps

I disagree only in that I value the frenchfry quality almost as much as the burger. Also Beer>water

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 01:23:14 PM »
I disagree only in that I value the frenchfry quality almost as much as the burger. Also Beer>water

only as long as Beer ≠ Miller Lite (or equivalent)? 

Classically, burger + french fries is the norm, but I usually prefer to conserve my calories for a doublescoop @ Kopps instead :)  It's all good. 

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »
only as long as Beer ≠ Miller Lite (or equivalent)? 

YOU BITE YOUR TOUNGE!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2009, 03:38:58 PM »
I agree Solly's is good. Fries are good too, but the cost is out of line.