Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Today's ESPN Bracketology...  (Read 11339 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Today's ESPN Bracketology...
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:28 AM »
...has MU as a 5 seed in Portland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Badgerhater920

• Starter
Re: Today's ESPN Bracketology...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:39:16 AM »
A 5-12 matchup with 'zona would be scary - although Jordan Hill is hobbled right now. Would love Purdue in the 2nd round though...

Wade4Life

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »
I hate joe lunardi as much as I love MU basketball.

Joe lunardi is so Big Ten/ACC biased its sickening. There is no way any of those #4 seeds deserve it more than MU. Marquette is better than Ill, Muzzo, Clemson, Prudue; James or no james.

I know lunardi has had a very good record predicting the final field, but its total BS what joe does with MU with the seeds. We need Jay Bilas making this field up; he would give MU a #3 seed easily.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:49:29 AM »
A 5-12 matchup with 'zona would be scary - although Jordan Hill is hobbled right now. Would love Purdue in the 2nd round though...

Interesting. Purdue is REALLY talented.

nola03

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:52:29 AM »

Interesting. Purdue is REALLY talented.

Unless Hummel's back locks up.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
Unless Hummel's back locks up.

He's been doing just fine, plus hes not their only talented player.  Just because they're a Big Ten team doesn't mean they are bunch of clowns.

Purdue would not be a good matchup for MU.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
Bracketology is what it is.

Fantasy.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 11:17:47 AM »
+1

jdiamon2

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 11:23:07 AM »
Just because they're a Big Ten team doesn't mean they are bunch of clowns.

I sure wasn't laughing when Michigan State whooped our ass in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
I hate joe lunardi as much as I love MU basketball.

Joe lunardi is so Big Ten/ACC biased its sickening. There is no way any of those #4 seeds deserve it more than MU. Marquette is better than Ill, Muzzo, Clemson, Prudue; James or no james.

I know lunardi has had a very good record predicting the final field, but its total BS what joe does with MU with the seeds. We need Jay Bilas making this field up; he would give MU a #3 seed easily.

Why would you hate Lunardi?  If he has a "very good record predicting the final field," it isn't his fault that there is perceived bias toward the Big Ten and ACC.  It is what it is.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »

Why would you hate Lunardi?  If he has a "very good record predicting the final field," it isn't his fault that there is perceived bias toward the Big Ten and ACC.  It is what it is.

The NCAA committee has been so public in how they pick teams that virtually all the "experts" do pretty well in naming the 65 team field.  At the end of the day, it's really picking out of a group of 5-8 teams for those 12 seed types.

Go Warriors.

MU_Warrior44

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 11:59:53 AM »
He does have us as #15 on the S-Curve, which means we should be a 4 seed. Remember that teams can get bumped up or down a seed to make the bracket work out. We obviously got bumped down, likely due to the other teams in our conference ranked ahead of us.

EDIT: the #15 on the S-Curve is apparently last week's. MU seems to be the only one without an updated number. i guess he did bump us down to the 5 seed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:02:19 PM by Mike McCarter »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »
I sure wasn't laughing when Michigan State whooped our ass in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

I sure wasn't laughing with our best player not playing due to a broken wrist for that game either.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »
I don't like possibly having to go West for the 3rd time in 4 years. If we are going to get bumped down a seed, can't we stay closer to home? Also, why would a #10 seed Ohio State get rewarded with essentially a home court advantage by getting to play in Dayton in the 1st round? #9 South Carolina also gets to play in Greensboro and #6 Gonzaga gets Portland.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »

Wasn't that the year we didn't have McNeal?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 12:08:23 PM »
He does have us as #15 on the S-Curve, which means we should be a 4 seed. Remember that teams can get bumped up or down a seed to make the bracket work out. We obviously got bumped down, likely due to the other teams in our conference ranked ahead of us.

EDIT: the #15 on the S-Curve is apparently last week's. MU seems to be the only one without an updated number. i guess he did bump us down to the 5 seed.

Lunardi was probably taking James' injury into consideration when projecting the team's seed.  The committee will look at this, and will most likely do the same when seeding the team.  We're not the same team without James on the court, and the seed will reflect that.

Barring an impressive run in the Big East tournament that shows that this team can still compete and more importantly win against teams of high caliber, we'll probably receive a worse seed than the resume will warrant.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 12:17:22 PM »
Wasn't that the year we didn't have McNeal?

I think that was CBB's point.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
we'll probably receive a worse seed than the resume will warrant.

Like every other year.....

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »
I'll take a 5 seed at this point...especially with Purdue in the second round. Hello Sweet 16.

jdiamon2

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »
I sure wasn't laughing with our best player not playing due to a broken wrist for that game either.

Why, was he playing against Louisville on Sunday?  We did OK in that game.
If you are all going to just mock the Big 10(+1) without even trying to remember how at no point were we even contending in the game against Michigan State, then I'm wasting my breath.

Don't sit here and think Purdue is a favorable matchup based solely on the fact they play in the Big 10.  Wisconsin played us tough earlier this season, and they lost to some of the worst Big Ten teams. Even Wisconsin would be tough to beat in the tournament.

I like our chances against Big Ten teams, but let's show some respect, lest we follow in the footsteps of Pittsburgh before their game against Providence.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
I'll take a 5 seed at this point...especially with Purdue in the second round. Hello Sweet 16.

I think all of you guys are nuts thinking that this current draw would be a good one. Purdue is a bad matchup.  Again, just because they are in the Big Ten doesnt mean we would walk right over them. They are really talented.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 12:39:42 PM »
I like our chances of getting to the sweet 16........Purdue in the second round!!!

jdiamon2

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 12:40:54 PM »
I like our chances of getting to the sweet 16........Purdue in the second round!!!

I think you missed a train of debate there, somewhere in the middle.

nola03

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 01:02:32 PM »
Don't sit here and think Purdue is a favorable matchup based solely on the fact they play in the Big 10. 

I didn't see this explicitly written anywhere in the thread. Think you and another are jumping ahead two steps with ASSuming what you wrote above.

Some MU fans think Purdue would be a good matchup. I can't imagine they think that solely on conference affiliation.

jdiamon2

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »
I didn't see this explicitly written anywhere in the thread. Think you and another are jumping ahead two steps with ASSuming what you wrote above.

Some MU fans think Purdue would be a good matchup. I can't imagine they think that solely on conference affiliation.

Well, I just REASONED that out myself by finding that Purdue is actually not a good match up for us, and these jokers must be assuming they suck because they're in the Big Ten.