Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dashonte Riley? Which 2 schools?  (Read 20863 times)

strobl2

• Starter
Dashonte Riley? Which 2 schools?
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
Can anyone here that has rivals tell me what the new article about him says. It is the main headline on the Marquette Rivals home page. Headline says that he is officially down to two schools, and I was just wondering who they were and what the article says.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:02:47 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Fullodds

• All American
Re: Dashonte Riley? Which 2 schools?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 06:06:48 PM »
Riley is down to Syracuse and Marquette.  Decision to come in a week.

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:08:22 PM »
Thanks a lot, I think this would be a huge get.

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »
Any articles on what his thoughts were of his visit to marquette?

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 06:22:07 PM »
Any articles on what his thoughts were of his visit to marquette?

That would be nice to know, I guess if he comes here though that means that someone is leaving. My guess would be Cubes or Hazel. Also I thought that he was originally going to wait till his high school season was over to make his decision, unless it is already over.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »
His regular season was over on 2/24, playoffs don't start until 3/9.  So this week is a free week to make a decision.  Otherwise, the playoffs go until the end of March, and he may not want to make a decision during that time.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
Since Jamil Wilson is making his decision next Sunday and Riley within a week, the waiting will soon be over.  Question: is Riley's decision based upon what Wilson does. Is Buzz holding a spot for Wilson and if he commits elsewhere, hello Riley?  Or visa/versa? One never knows.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 06:48:08 PM »
Since Jamil Wilson is making his decision next Sunday and Riley within a week, the waiting will soon be over.  Question: is Riley's decision based upon what Wilson does. Is Buzz holding a spot for Wilson and if he commits elsewhere, hello Riley?  Or visa/versa? One never knows.

Riley's decision has absolutely nothing to do with Jamil.  If Jamil decides he wants to come to MU, no one would be more surprised than Buzz.

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »
I have a feeling that the Jamil Wilson train has left.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 06:54:30 PM »
Just for kicks,  If Riley does commit and Wilson wants to come, does Buzz accept Wilson?

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
Just for kicks,  If Riley does commit and Wilson wants to come, does Buzz accept Wilson?

I would probably say yes, although it seems like an unlikely scenario.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 07:13:04 PM »
I would probably say yes, although it seems like an unlikely scenario.

It would be impossible but it would be stocked with talent if it did.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »

It won't happen, but I would actually say no.  Besides having a lot of talent and depth, and having to get rid of a scholarship already, I think a big reason for Buycks and M. Clark in 2010 is to try to balance out the classes.  If Buzz gets a fifth freshman for next year, I don't know that he wants a sixth.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 06:28:16 AM »
I thought that the BE had a rule about only being allowed to be one scholorship over the limit(?).  If that's the case, then MU can only sign one more player for next season - at least for now.

commonbondcoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 06:37:44 AM »
How many do they have for 10/11?

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 07:39:09 AM »
Based on everything I've read and heard about Riley vs. Wilson, I'd much rather have Wilson. Not that I'd say no to Riley, but if MU is choosing, I'd choose Wilson.

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 08:02:18 AM »
Wilson is not coming to MU, lets move on.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 08:05:08 AM »
I think what it says is you can only sign one player over on the Letter's of intent.  So the second player would not sign the letter of intent.  This is a Big East Rule not a NCAA rule.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »
This article on Jamil Wilson in today's MJS doesn't even list Marquette as one of his finalists.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/40517752.html

Buzz blew this one with the public "we are no longer recruiting him" only to go back and change his mind later.

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »
This article on Jamil Wilson in today's MJS doesn't even list Marquette as one of his finalists.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/40517752.html

Buzz blew this one with the public "we are no longer recruiting him" only to go back and change his mind later.

Hmm....you know ALL the circumstances surrounding Jamil's recruitment, who sent mixed signals, who begged for another look etc???? I would be very careful making such sweeping statements as "Buzz blew this one" or for that matter "Jamil blew this one" unless you know the whole story.
Once a warrior always a warrior.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
All I know is that when you publically declare that you no longer are recruiting someone, only to turn around and change your mind, you look bad.  Either simply stop recruiting the guy or continue to press ahead.  There was no reason for Buzz to do what he did *if* he still wanted the guy.  If he didn't, just quietly move on.

So I think Buzz did blow it from at least a PR perspective...and possibly from a basketball perspective although I'm not sure how much he wanted Jamil in the first place.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »
All I know is that when you publically declare that you no longer are recruiting someone, only to turn around and change your mind, you look bad.  Either simply stop recruiting the guy or continue to press ahead.  There was no reason for Buzz to do what he did *if* he still wanted the guy.  If he didn't, just quietly move on.much he wanted Jamil in the first place.

This is so off it's not even funny. First of all, as a college coach you CANNOT comment on any recruit publicly, so Buzz NEVER said he wasn't recruiting Wilson anymore. Wilson said that in the MJS. Big difference. All that has been said publicly has been from Wilson's camp.

Also, if you knew half the story with this recruitment, you'd realize why Buzz finally decided to move on.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 08:52:42 AM »
MUFan12 and others who continue to imply that they know the details of this recruitment....how about the details, now or after he commits elsewhere?

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 09:30:13 AM »
All I know is that when you publically declare that you no longer are recruiting someone, only to turn around and change your mind, you look bad.  Either simply stop recruiting the guy or continue to press ahead.  There was no reason for Buzz to do what he did *if* he still wanted the guy.  If he didn't, just quietly move on.

So I think Buzz did blow it from at least a PR perspective...and possibly from a basketball perspective although I'm not sure how much he wanted Jamil in the first place.

Again..unless you know all of the facts surrounding this recruitment you simply cannot say that Buzz blew it or that Jamil blew it if in fact he wanted to come here and by his actions he blew his opportunity.
Buzz recruits differently than Crean. If he puts the effort into a recruit and doesn't get the sense that the recruit truly wants to be a part of MU he moves on to players who want to be here, ie, he has other options in case primary options dont work out. There are threads discussing Jamil's recruitment going back several months in which it is clear that Buzz spent three times as much time recruiting Jamil after he was hired than any other of his recruits and when receiving luke warm signals decided to move on and in a classy move advised the family of that. There is a version of events ( that may be true) that Jamil's father then subsequently called up Buzz stating that Jamil wanted to come to MU and Buzz asked him to come to his office and tell him in person shortly after Midnight Madness. Buzz was told Jamil and his father were on their way and they never showed for whatever reason. Under this scenario , clearly Jamil and or his father are the ones playing games or to be fair demonstrating the behaviour of a 17 year old kid who sadly lost his mother a short time ago and is having diffculty making a college choice.
Buzz and or his staff can't comment on it publicly until the recruitment is over and even assuming a version of events occurred that puts Jamil in a bad light, I highly doubt that Buzz would point that out.
The point is that no one knows exactly what transpired and the only version of events that is out there is Jamil's and he is unlikely to portray himself negatively. To broadly state that Buzz blew it is simply silly when only a few people know every thing that went down. Likewise, to overly criticise Jamil if he or his father have been less than straightforward is silly since he is a 17 year old kid who is making a huge decision.
Once a warrior always a warrior.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 09:33:49 AM »
MUFan12 and others who continue to imply that they know the details of this recruitment....how about the details, now or after he commits elsewhere?

You put the details about a player's recruitment out there for the public to read, and you tend to lose your sources and not get any information in the future.